Metal Storm logo
The 'New' Big Four Of Thrash?

02.10.2010 - 01:47
ProjectEndgame
Account deleted
Stated in article http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jul/22/big-four-tour-metallica-slayer it says that the new big four of thrash (I'm assuming after the other four decide to stop) are Municipal Waste, Bonded By Blood, Evile and Toxic Holocaust band.

My opinion on this: I love Evile and Bonded By Blood, Municipal Waste has potential so I'd leave them there and I'd rather have Gama Bomb instead of Toxic Holocaust. Tell me which of the four that you like the most and which band you'd rather have in the new big four if you had to choose.
02.10.2010 - 08:29
King Ajax

For me it would be Evile, Warbringer, Warpath, Bonded By Blood, Gama Bomb, and Fuled By Fire. Not four but those are my favoutires.
----
Metal Up Your Ass!
02.10.2010 - 09:11
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Municipal, Evile and Bonded seem fine....maybe Warbringer?
02.10.2010 - 10:09
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I doubt there ever will be "new big four" consisting of bands that popular as "original" big four...i count myself as metalhead, but not thrash metal lover and therefore even i dont know any of those bands "new" mentioned here so far...what about "general public" then? now everyone knows at least Metallica...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

02.10.2010 - 12:08
Lucas
Mr. Noise
All fun and cool, this Thrash revival, but none of these bands does anything new with the genre. And wasn't that the greatest achievement of Metallica and co?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
02.10.2010 - 12:39
vezzy
Stallmanite
So a bunch of journalists came up with a new "Big Four", big deal.

Like Lucas said, none of these bands do anything new. Plus they can be boring often.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
02.10.2010 - 16:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
There is no such BIG 4 nowdays. there is many bands but thay never be BIG 4 anymore, simply wont
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.10.2010 - 16:46
RavenKing

Who cares about a 'New Big Four Of Thrash'? The concept itself of 'Big Four Of Thrash' is just one big commercial joke, anyway. Even in the 80s, there were lots of Thrash bands as good, if not better, than the so-called Big Four. This concept never had any relevant meaning to me.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
03.10.2010 - 17:01
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
For starters, i'm against the concept of a 'big four' coz if anyone's big it has to be Exodus... so i'd rather call'em the big 'FIVE' like Dave Mustaine refers to.. coz Exodus has made thrash what it is today... and has influenced ALL of the big four ... either directly or indirectly ...

so, if we're to mention the big four of today (for fun) i'd go for: Havok, Kayser, Savage Messiah, Vektor.

Or, a more classic version of the 'big four' of bands that actually had their way in the 80's but didnt get noticed due to the original big four: Testament, Artillery, Invocator, Kreator.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
03.10.2010 - 17:05
RavenKing

Written by Zombie on 03.10.2010 at 17:01

For starters, i'm against the concept of a 'big four' coz if anyone's big it has to be Exodus... so i'd rather call'em the big 'FIVE' like Dave Mustaine refers to.. coz Exodus has made thrash what it is today... and has influenced ALL of the big four ... either directly or indirectly ...

I'm against the concept for the same reason. Especially as I consider Kreator's 80s stuff better than anything the Big Four ever released. Same for Massacra (though it falls more under the Thrash/Death label).

You're right when mentioning Exodus too.
----
03.10.2010 - 18:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
The big four at the time were just as the name says the four BIGGEST thrash bands. What's so hard to understand about that? It's not about bands people deem better. Those four sold the most drew the largest crowds were the best known. And at the time I also considered them the best. All of Germany's thrash bands were and still are a joke to me. As for Exodus had they released BBB a couple of years earlier they might have been able to catch up with the four.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.10.2010 - 19:17
Guib
Thrash Talker
Personally... From your (NEW) big four, which in my opinion shouldn't be called that way, my fav would be Municipal Waste
They're agressive, Dangerous and quite fucked up.. it makes it for me really
Who never wanted to body surf on a boogie board ?
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
03.10.2010 - 19:23
RavenKing

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.10.2010 at 18:32

The big four at the time were just as the name says the four BIGGEST thrash bands. What's so hard to understand about that? It's not about bands people deem better. Those four sold the most drew the largest crowds were the best known. And at the time I also considered them the best. All of Germany's thrash bands were and still are a joke to me. As for Exodus had they released BBB a couple of years earlier they might have been able to catch up with the four.

Oh, don't worry, I know the expression only refers to sales and popularity. That's why I called it a big commercial joke.

As for German Thrash compared to American Thrash, my opinion is pretty much the opposite. Apart from early Slayer, I never liked any American Thrash band. Reason is mostly vocals. I like Thrash with more aggressive vocals (as close as it is to Black Metal harsh vocals, the better, imo). I dislike the clean vocals American Thrash bands usually use. They just don't fit the fierceness of the music and even sound pussy at times.

And no, I never considered them the best.
----
03.10.2010 - 20:08
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by RavenKing on 03.10.2010 at 19:23

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.10.2010 at 18:32

Oh, don't worry, I know the expression only refers to sales and popularity. That's why I called it a big commercial joke.

As for German Thrash compared to American Thrash, my opinion is pretty much the opposite. Apart from early Slayer, I never liked any American Thrash band. Reason is mostly vocals. I like Thrash with more aggressive vocals (as close as it is to Black Metal harsh vocals, the better, imo). I dislike the clean vocals American Thrash bands usually use. They just don't fit the fierceness of the music and even sound pussy at times.

And no, I never considered them the best.

Ok but what about Exodus then ? I mean for Harsh Vocals... they're kinda worse than Slayer IMO
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
04.10.2010 - 01:55
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
WHAT? Exodus vocals are bad? Nigga please !
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
05.10.2010 - 00:10
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Zombie on 04.10.2010 at 01:55

WHAT? Exodus vocals are bad? Nigga please !

I never said Bad.. I said more harsh than slayer -_-
Slightly different my friend
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
05.10.2010 - 15:45
Mansdone

I like to look at it like whos your favorite four of the newer bands to come out in the 00's. My top picks are Warbringer, Lazarus A.D., Toxic holocaust, and either Evile, or municipal waste
----
As the thrash pounds through your head
Pound your drinks
Tonight we shred
- Municipal Waste -
05.10.2010 - 19:24
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Mansdone on 05.10.2010 at 15:45

I like to look at it like whos your favorite four of the newer bands to come out in the 00's. My top picks are Warbringer, Lazarus A.D., Toxic holocaust, and either Evile, or municipal waste

Personally I don't really know Toxic Holocaut and Evile that much could you give me some kick ass songs that
I could get into I really love the style of crossover thrash metal
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
05.10.2010 - 23:47
ProjectEndgame
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 05.10.2010 at 19:24

Written by Mansdone on 05.10.2010 at 15:45

Personally I don't really know Toxic Holocaut and Evile that much could you give me some kick ass songs that
I could get into I really love the style of crossover thrash metal

Try Enter The Grave or We Who Are About To Die by Evile. I know nothing about Toxic Holocaust.
06.10.2010 - 00:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
@Guib
As for Toxic Holocaust:
Gravelord, Lord Of The Wasteland, City Of A Million Graves, or actually - pretty much anything off of An Overdose Of Death... is pretty killer.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.10.2010 - 05:31
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Doc G. on 06.10.2010 at 00:20

@Guib
As for Toxic Holocaust:
Gravelord, Lord Of The Wasteland, City Of A Million Graves, or actually - pretty much anything off of An Overdose Of Death... is pretty killer.

Thanks alot I'll check that out ASAP
I just bought myself 2 albums today from Kataklysm Enjoying this alot
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
13.10.2010 - 04:52
Mansdone

Written by Doc G. on 06.10.2010 at 00:20

@Guib
As for Toxic Holocaust:

I agree it is a killer album. My favorite song is Feedback blood and distortion.
----
Pound your drinks
Tonight we shred
- Municipal Waste -
13.10.2010 - 04:53
Mansdone

Oh yeah and bathe in blood is one of my Favorites by Evile.
----
Pound your drinks
Tonight we shred
- Municipal Waste -
14.10.2010 - 19:26
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Lols at one of us old folks having to explain the Big Four concept to you meddling whippersnappers again. i guess too many metalheads today are just to stupid to grasp the concept or too egocentric to realize their opinion of which thrash band was better is immaterial...

there is no big four now. there are some fun revival bands that recapture some of the old spirit, but what was will never be again.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.10.2010 - 07:04
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by BitterCOld on 14.10.2010 at 19:26

Lols at one of us old folks having to explain the Big Four concept to you meddling whippersnappers again. i guess too many metalheads today are just to stupid to grasp the concept or too egocentric to realize their opinion of which thrash band was better is immaterial...

there is no big four now. there are some fun revival bands that recapture some of the old spirit, but what was will never be again.

But wasn't the "New Big Four" a metaphoric way to explain the popularity of some modern Thrash metal bands and an opportunity to compare those to the old thrash of the 80's ? Even though we all know that the new wave is not as popular as Metallica and the others were back in the day.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
15.10.2010 - 07:19
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guib on 15.10.2010 at 07:04

Written by BitterCOld on 14.10.2010 at 19:26

But wasn't the "New Big Four" a metaphoric way to explain the popularity of some modern Thrash metal bands and an opportunity to compare those to the old thrash of the 80's ? Even though we all know that the new wave is not as popular as Metallica and the others were back in the day.

it's a metaphor, but it is also an attempt to somehow draw a parallel between a musical movement that sprang up from nowhere and forced its way into the public consciousness despite any lack of commercial ambition or willing vehicle to one that is merely a generation which grew up on the that movement and attempting to recapture that spark without being particularly innovative.

i enjoy a lot of the new generation bands that were mentioned above. i just don't particularly care for the attempt to retroactively link them to bands that were the vanguard of the movement.

finally, i just think it's a bit lame an lazy. "hey, there was the original 'Big Four of Thrash'... i can take some of the thrash re-hash and link them." what next? comparing the USBM movement of the past five years to the 2nd wave Norwegian scene circa 1993 by referring to the current crop as the "Yankee Black Circle?"
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.10.2010 - 07:28
Guib
Thrash Talker
I totally understand you...

My point was.. why arguing on if wether it is or it is not the "new" big four of thrash when we can just talk about the talents and the new material created by the modern wave of thrash they might not be the big four and not that inovative but they're still great bands so why not discuss about them instead of talking about the IDEA of a new big four
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
15.10.2010 - 17:54
Aeonfrost

Don't think there will be any new big four.As for the classic big four,imo testament,exodus or maybe kreator should have been there besides slayer.slayer,never interested me,imo show no mercy,reign in blood and hell awaits were their only good album,and besides tom arayas vocals sucks,mille petrozas one is just ten times better.
15.10.2010 - 17:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Aeonfrost on 15.10.2010 at 17:54

Don't think there will be any new big four.As for the classic big four,imo testament,exodus or maybe kreator should have been there besides slayer.slayer,never interested me,imo show no mercy,reign in blood and hell awaits were their only good album,and besides tom arayas vocals sucks,mille petrozas one is just ten times better.

And we have another winner who doesn't understand the concept about the big four.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.10.2010 - 19:02
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.10.2010 at 17:56

Written by Aeonfrost on 15.10.2010 at 17:54

And we have another winner who doesn't understand the concept about the big four.

Hmm yeah... again can't we quit talking about "BIG FOUR" and concentrate on the bands

Municipal Waste fucking rulez
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here