01. Angbands Schmieden
02. Nightshade Forests
03. Elfstone
04. Khazad Dúm
05. Kôr
06. Wyrmvater Glaurung
07. Unto A Long Glory...
08. Over Old Hills

I noticed this band only a few months ago, but since the first notes it immediately caught my attention. The two "Tolkien-epic-men" Silenius and Protector are two great musicians; and the proof is their melodic reserch into each song. Infact, if you listen to this Summoning's album, there's always a keyboard part that gives strong emotions, completes the base riffs in a really catchy way and creates that atmosphere characteristic of the Atmospheric/Black Metal (a genre in which this band rules since 1993).

The impression of being in Middle-Earth and fighting against enemies during epic battles is very well given. Since the opening ANGBANDS SCHMIEDEN we notice a simple use of compositions techniques; but without using hard riffs or solos (which don't appear at all) they manage to create a great feeling between the listener and the music. Songs like KHAZAD DUM, ELFSTONE and KOR are really catchy; I might say sometimes sweet and sad, but strong at the same time. Each musician does vocals and keyboards; sometimes there's only a voice during a song, or sometimes two (This is important for creating diversified atmospheres; also because the two voice are very differnt). There is also a use of different sounds from the keyboard; for example in the first track we hear a crescendo of bells, brightness synth and orchestral parts on the main riff.

Then I must say something about the lyrics; which are mighty poems of shining beauty. I rarely found something like this:

"The air was neither night or a day
But faintly dark with softest light
When first glimmered into sight
The cottage of Lost Play..."

Dol Guldur is a great album for those who like melodic/black metal and similar stuff and could be good also for those who have never listened to extreme metal before. One of the greatest album of the band.

Best songs: ELFSTONE, KOR, OVER OLD HILLS

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 8

Written by dark awakening | 26.08.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 154 users
26.08.2006 - 19:46
dark awakening

Really a great atmospheric/black album. It deserves to be bought
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
30.08.2006 - 22:24
Thryce
Retired Staff
Nice review dark awakening!
Great album too. Probably the best (or certainly one of the best 3) Summoning album so far indeed. Although "Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame" is still my favourite, and their latest release "Oath Bound" is far from bad too.

Words will never be able to describe this album completely, perfectly and thoroughly. You just have to listen to it and experience the great atmopshere Summoning manage to create every time again. And this album is one of the highlights of that creation.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
23.01.2007 - 14:08
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Yes, this is indeed a great album and is among my favourite; your review can give a true picture of this album, so, a grat review!
----
that which shines without names and forms...
28.12.2007 - 13:13
Moreheru
Account deleted
Nice review
It is a great band, album is also very good, although "Let Mortal Heroes sing your fame" is even better!

btw, the lyrics that you wrote are from one Tolkien song called "Cottage of lost play", from book "Book of lost tales vol.1" (HOME 1)
18.04.2009 - 16:28
Lord_Regnier

A great atmospheric BM album. Slow but quite powerful.

Congratulations to the reviewer for mentioning that the two vocalists are quite different. I don't know why so many people believe Silenius is the only vocalist in Summoning. Protector and Silenius indeed sound different and are, imo, easy to recognize. Protector has a more whispered, exhaled voice, with more echo, while Silenius' vocals are harsher, with more raw power and distortion.

Finally, the reviewer made a tiny mistake. Summoning don't rule atmospheric BM since 1993, for the simple reason that the band became atmospheric only on "Minas Morgul" (1995). Before "Minas Morgul", it was raw BM, not atmospheric. But it's only nitpicking from my part.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
30.09.2009 - 18:01
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
The more i am thinking about it, this album should be the best...i know i always stated it about LMHSYF, even i my recent review on that, but there is such a power and glory in "Nightshade Forests" and "Over Old Hills"...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

10.01.2018 - 13:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This revive needs be re written and add some more things, but best concept about this band are Tolkien thing , I like it best, music can be better. But maybe there is diference holding real CD(fuck tapes) or vinyl as listening it online. Booklet tells stories
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 6794 | This month: 10