05. Hellequin
06. 2012
07. Cú Chulainn
08. Kali Yuga III
09. The Shells Are Open
10. Din
11. Children Of The Stone: After The Inquisition

"Taste the tempting Fruit and be an Outcast from the Paradise."

Therion have to be one of the acts closest to me, emotionally speaking, since they are one of the first metal bands I listened to seriously, wih Vovin being one the first albums I bought back in 1998 when it came out, playing its part in the unorthodox way I slided into metal music. Ever since they never ceased to amaze me and what I learnt from them is that if a Therion album is good, it has to captivate you from the very first listen. Of course you can't conceive everything it has to say from one spin, but it makes you highly interested into keep on spinning and spinnning until you can say that you own the album's cause of existence up to a welcome extent. Gothic Kabbalah was the first Therion album that didn't have a big impact on me, although good and a natural continuation of Lemuria/Sirius B, less heavy but metal of course, based upon the orchestrations, the symphonic passages and the operatic vocal lines. So I was really curious of what will happen with Sitra Ahra.

After oh so many years, Christofer Johnsson has mastered the patterns of the marriage of classical and metal music, presenting to the audience metal operettas and Sitra Ahra is one of them, a sounding successor of Gothic Kabbalah, but highly inspired and with this glimpse of captivation a Therion album should preserve. One can find in here the gentleness and elegiac character of Crowning Of Atlantis blending with operatic lines à la Vovin leaning towards the aforementioned album, bringing forth anatolian scriptures of Deggial the way they would sound in 2010 as a natural continuation of Therion's course alongside heavy guitars, fabulous solos and power metal vocals in the same clean but hoarsing-to-high-pitched obscure vein they seem to adore.

The Celebrators of Becoming have re-opened the gates and "Introduction/Sitra Ahra"/"Kings Of Edom" overwhelm you with their sincere elegiac aura that lead through "Unguentum Sabbati's" imposing chrism to the "Land Of Canaan". This composition unfolds piece of the grandeur this part on the map once held, a new ten-minute magnum opus by Therion, evoking mysticism and the mystery of times long gone. Multifaceted, filled with fragileness and introvert power, without repeating itself from beginning to end, leading you to a journey through anatolian might and inspiration. And you have to love the harmonica which personally reminded me of Bruce Springsteen's "The Ghost Of Tom Joad".

But still, the wandering would seem incomplete without the devoutness of "Kali Yuga III" and nocturnal essence of "The Shells Are Open", the ominous and violent approach of "Din"; and "Hellequin", a harlequin's seducing dance! The celebrating "Cú Chulainn", the pre-apocalyptic dance of "2012" manifesting the end of days, proclaiming the dawn of of a new era's spiritual nurishment and the hallucinating and caressing "Children Of The Stone: After The Inquisition" could not be missing. After all, every single chant which consists of Sitra Ahra is a part of a sound puzzle that fulfills another Qliphothic expedition.

What seemed easily pompous, a bit tiring in terms of duration and not a hard ride for Therion to accomplish on Gothic Kabbalah has found its ideal expression on Sitra Ahra's 61 minutes of glory due to the inspirational factor and the way the band managed to make the overall outcome blend well together thanks to the good musicianship and the atmosphere that comes forth. A solid piece of symphonic metal from its profound fathers (as for the godfathers, count in Celtic Frost), proving that they have a reason to exist and giving promises for the future.

"Drink the Emerald of will and dreams , the Stone is falling, follow us beyond the world of stars."

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 06.10.2010 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 71   Visited by: 603 users
10.10.2010 - 06:50
Derwood
So am I the only one who thinks that the last 1:30 or so of "Land of Canaan" is very reminiscent of Boney M's "Rasputin?"

Oh well, at least it contains more actual metal than Kamelot.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
11.10.2010 - 01:04
Everybody Complaining about this album need to stop living in the past and comparing...only retards compare shit....take it for what it is as a Whole ....99% of the retards on this site dont even have the albums they bitch about or just have it downloaded to thier piece of shit Ipod...cuz you know you get the best quality sound out of a shitty pre-amp..
11.10.2010 - 08:19
Rating: 7
Opethian
Written by TyrannicalGOD on 11.10.2010 at 01:04

Everybody Complaining about this album need to stop living in the past and comparing...only retards compare shit....take it for what it is as a Whole ....99% of the retards on this site dont even have the albums they bitch about or just have it downloaded to thier piece of shit Ipod...cuz you know you get the best quality sound out of a shitty pre-amp..

Biased reviews and 'Comparing' is what FAILStorm has been all about since day 1
11.10.2010 - 13:01
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
If it is Failstorm as you say, then why are you here? Everyone has an opinion and he states it, whenever it is a review or a post underneath or a post somewhere in the forum or anything, even in a good or bad manner, but what is good or bad in what you express is subjective, like the term opinion.
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
11.10.2010 - 14:41
MeTalRea|istiK
Compared or not...its still suck..big time!!
11.10.2010 - 15:06
RavenKing
Written by KwonVerge on 11.10.2010 at 13:01

If it is Failstorm as you say, then why are you here? Everyone has an opinion and he states it, whenever it is a review or a post underneath or a post somewhere in the forum or anything, even in a good or bad manner, but what is good or bad in what you express is subjective, like the term opinion.

I agree with you. Problem is fanboys are offended as soon as someone doesn't praise an album they like and give it a 9+ rating. Fanboys/fangirls never learned to deal with criticism or simply ignore it when they disagree.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
11.10.2010 - 15:14
RavenKing

Everybody Complaining about this album need to stop living in the past and comparing...only retards compare shit....

It is perfectly normal to compare the new albums of a band to their old ones and expect at least the same quality or better. That's also how we measure musical evolution. Because there's a huge difference between change and evolution. A difference lots of people miss quite often nowadays.

As for "taking it for what it is", some albums just suck, no matter how you look at them. If you push this reasoning too far, it becomes a way to encourage mediocrity by saying crappy albums are good.
----
11.10.2010 - 16:52
ponderer
Quote:

Is this a direct quote from the lyrics or something? One of non-native speakers biggest difficulties is the proper use of THE. "THE" isn't used for things that are general like locations including PARADISE. Unless this "paradise" which is mentioned loosely in that particular set of lyrics has been mentioned before more specifically as being a special paradise related to the song and or story, THE is being used improperly. You wouldn't say I'm going to The New York, The Hell, or The Mars. Hopefully that's the only mistake otherwise I'd be a bit apprehensive about listening to something grammatically flawed throughout.
11.10.2010 - 17:10
MeTalRea|istiK
Written by Guest on 11.10.2010 at 17:00

This is funny, I admit.

yeah me too!!
13.10.2010 - 20:41
Rating: 7
Opethian
This site should have an article on Encyclopædia Dramatica because of all the LuLz it brings...HAHAHAHA
14.10.2010 - 06:28
advent
Written by Opethian on 11.10.2010 at 08:19

Biased reviews and 'Comparing' is what FAILStorm has been all about since day 1

So what are you still doing here?
15.10.2010 - 16:54
SKELETOR
Almost cool -back to last hail of bullets album:suicide:
18.10.2010 - 15:40
Rating: 9
Vonpire
Written by ponderer on 11.10.2010 at 16:52

Quote:

Is this a direct quote from the lyrics or something? One of non-native speakers biggest difficulties is the proper use of THE. "THE" isn't used for things that are general like locations including PARADISE. Unless this "paradise" which is mentioned loosely in that particular set of lyrics has been mentioned before more specifically as being a special paradise related to the song and or story, THE is being used improperly. You wouldn't say I'm going to The New York, The Hell, or The Mars. Hopefully that's the only mistake otherwise I'd be a bit apprehensive about listening to something grammatically flawed throughout.

You are wrong here :

"Taste the tempting Fruit and be an Outcast from the Paradise" has a different meaning than Taste the tempting Fruit and be an Outcast from Paradise, at least in my language (Portuguese)

Check google translation
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
18.10.2010 - 16:38
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
Written by Vonpire on 18.10.2010 at 15:40

Quote:

You are wrong here :

"Taste the tempting Fruit and be an Outcast from the Paradise" has a different meaning than Taste the tempting Fruit and be an Outcast from Paradise, at least in my language (Portuguese)

Check google translation

Same works in my language as well, it gives a more specific meaning with emphasis on THE paradise, or something like that.
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
18.10.2010 - 16:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
That mght be the case for a lot languages but it still is incorrect in English.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2010 - 16:59
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite

THE is being used improperly.

so is the Passive Voice of the Present Continuous Tense in this sentence.
18.10.2010 - 17:33
ponderer
Wrong, wrong and extra wrong across the board. Regardless of how well it translates into your own language and then translates into English, THE PARADISE is an incorrect use of THE in the English language.

I'm an English teacher and do professional translations in my spare time. Asking me to check Google translation is fucking laughable at best. Daniell, nothing you said makes any sense considering everything I wrote is grammatically correct. Therion's use of "THE" is being used improperly. Go wrestle with that one.

Any time you non-native speakers want to step up and test me feel free. I get paid R$50+ an hour for this shit and accept payments via PayPal. Thanks for stopping by and please come again.
18.10.2010 - 18:57
Vonpire
Send a mail to google then, you found (another) bug there! Congrats!

You're a English teacher? Ohh.... I see checking google Fucking Translate made you laugh! And you thought i was a warlock to guess that, nice one!!... Duh !

Your arrogance is kind of displaced also, btw

Thanks for sharing. No money for you, you native! (ever )

P.S. - Anyway i give you credit, and i do believe you are totally right, just 4 u to know.

""THE" isn't used for things that are general like locations including PARADISE." - Hmmmmm Gimmie the directions to Paradise!

"Unless this "paradise" which is mentioned loosely in that particular set of lyrics has been mentioned before more specifically as being a special paradise related to the song and or story" - And it isn't ???
----
18.10.2010 - 23:12
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
So much drama for an album that still not even available in the US . I feel like I've grown up with the album already, watched it mature, and then became bored with it. I'm skeptical about the review, since the samples sound monotonous online and I haven't cared much for this band since Deggial and a few random songs after, but I'll still check it out. That is, when Nuclear Blast decides to stop holding it hostage.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
18.10.2010 - 23:21
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
Written by Jason W. on 18.10.2010 at 23:12

So much drama for an album that still not even available in the US . I feel like I've grown up with the album already, watched it mature, and then became bored with it. I'm skeptical about the review, since the samples sound monotonous online and I haven't cared much for this band since Deggial and a few random songs after, but I'll still check it out. That is, when Nuclear Blast decides to stop holding it hostage.

In a few years you will get 15 new therion albums all together at the same time
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

20.10.2010 - 21:51
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by ponderer on 18.10.2010 at 17:33

Wrong, wrong and extra wrong across the board. Regardless of how well it translates into your own language and then translates into English, THE PARADISE is an incorrect use of THE in the English language.

I'm an English teacher and do professional translations in my spare time. Asking me to check Google translation is fucking laughable at best. Daniell, nothing you said makes any sense considering everything I wrote is grammatically correct. Therion's use of "THE" is being used improperly. Go wrestle with that one.

Any time you non-native speakers want to step up and test me feel free. I get paid R$50+ an hour for this shit and accept payments via PayPal. Thanks for stopping by and please come again.

You are one arrogant tosspot, I'll give you that.

You are of course right about that paradise problem, but you're wrong here:

Quote:

THE is being used improperly

The present Continuous Tense has the following uses:
http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/presentcontinuous.html
You used it incorrectly in the sentence I quoted.

Go, read, learn. Do all that before spitting your arrogance on people.
Oh, also give back the money you take from people for teaching them, because your English sucks.

Since this anyway pointless discussion is completely off-topic, please limit your imminent hateful response to a PM. I implore you.
21.10.2010 - 03:54
ponderer
I'm done with this fucking retard. It's not worth the time or energy even replying.
21.10.2010 - 12:33
vadgros
To ponderer:

I don't care if you're a native speaker, how many years you've taught English, or even that you know where and when to use BEING in a sentence. Your comment about Germany makes everything else irrelevant. Because it shows you for the pitiful little person you are. You and your kind deserve nothing better than to be spat at and ignored. With so many lives of your countryman and other people gone to fight Germany, your comment should make you be ashamed of yourself. May you and all of us never know the pain and sorrow suffered by the people of that time, but your arrogant childish ignorance makes me wish you'll know just a tiny little bit. Just so you'd realize what a sad little person you are.
21.10.2010 - 13:05
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Vadgros, it gets even better. He is a really nice guy!
Below is ponderer's PM to me about this subject:

Quote:
You are easily the dumbest motherfucker I've ever met online. I've met a lot of stupid assholes in my time but you take the fucking cake buddy. I didn't really expect some Polack retard to even attempt to confront me openly so I'll give you credit for that, but you've made yourself look like a complete fucking retard in front of everyone at this point.

The only thing that'll save you now is to ban me for life.
21.10.2010 - 14:10
Vonpire
Written by ponderer on 21.10.2010 at 03:54

Quote:
Since this anyway pointless discussion is completely off-topic, please limit your imminent hateful response to a PM. I implore you.

Um... "since this anyway pointless discussion" is totally incorrect grammar genius. You have amazing English skills and you actually have the balls to confront a native English speaker with that shit?!?!??! You really put your foot in it now.

So let me get this straight, you get to reply here and make a total ass of yourself because you know NOTHING about English and I'm supposed to use a PM?

BLOW ME

I've been teaching English for the last 13 years and I sure the fuck know when and where to use BEING in a sentence. Like some non-native doucheabag Eurotard troll is going to come on here and tell me how to do my job? I don't think so son. Why don't you go back to whatever passes for school in Poland, get some English skills before you start making a complete fucking ass of yourself on an open forum, and then go troll someone else because quite frankly I'm sick of listening to your stupid bullshit on here.

EVER WONDER WHY NOT ONE FUCKING NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKER BOTHERED TO POST ON THIS THREAD? That's right. They are all laughing at your stupid ass. You wanted a piece of me, you got it buddy. I'm not about to take any shit from some Polak.

I am curious about something though... what was it like having your country raped by Germans and then ignored by the rest of the world?

You might as well fucking ban me now because I'm never going to relent. You called me out and you are going to pay.

MAN! What a stupid SON OF A B****!!!!!

I hope you drown soon on your own feces for that sentence! Stupid fucking retard ! You're a teacher? Of what? Stupidity and arrogance? You're simply the most retarded / arrogant guy I've seen online, And i really do hope they ban you, you son of a pathetic person!

Don't even try to insult me. You are ignored so far, you nazi bastard!

Olha, e já agora seu asno, seu grandessissimo imbecil, ser execrável, quero ver-te a ensinares-me Português! E tens tu 40 anos? Jesus... ....
----
21.10.2010 - 14:16
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
Written by Vonpire on 21.10.2010 at 14:10

you are ignored so far

sometimes ignorance is bliss
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

21.10.2010 - 14:46
RavenKing
To all those who have a problem with Ponderer:

He's indeed arrogant and retarded. So hopeless there's nothing to do with him. I realized this after some discussion and stopped replying to him.

And he said after a while that "it should be continued on PMs". I told him to fuck off. He doesn't worth the attention. He's ignorant and hopeless anyway.

He's stuck in the past and should have stayed in the 80s, where he belongs. There's nothing worse than those people stuck in the past who believe they know everything better than others and refuse to accept that things change with time. All they do is spitting their bitterness on boards because they try to fight changes, a fight lost in advance.
That's why I despise and hate traditional Heavy Metal lovers in general (though many of them are fine - but you also get lots of unpleasant people like Ponderer from fans of this genre).
----
21.10.2010 - 19:48
ponderer
That's right everyone, I'm old. I'm obviously the worst of my kind. My BEING old is my biggest fault as a human being and my BEING rude to daniell the Polish troll is me just BEING an asshole. THE lunch is ready so I need to go eat THE lunch. Feel free to perm ban me from THE Metalstorm for having my own opinion and not bowing down to some guy who can barely construct a coherent sentence in THE English.
21.10.2010 - 19:51
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
I never thought a Therion line would cause such disharmony
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

21.10.2010 - 21:15
Vonpire
Written by ponderer on 21.10.2010 at 19:48

That's right everyone, I'm old. I'm obviously the worst of my kind. My BEING old is my biggest fault as a human being and my BEING rude to daniell the Polish troll is me just BEING an asshole. THE lunch is ready so I need to go eat THE lunch. Feel free to perm ban me from THE Metalstorm for having my own opinion and not bowing down to some guy who can barely construct a coherent sentence in THE English.

Don't be a jerk, anyone with a brain would notice that people are against your arrogance and SPECIALLY your "nazi" sentence.
It has nothing to do with English or your age. At least from my pov.

The Paradise can be a entity also. At least i think it can...

You can call some island a Paradise and refer to that as " I wish i'll go to paradise". (the island) or "I wish I'll go to "the Paradise"" (entity).

Am i wrong? Possibly I am (I am not "native", and I know I have my limitations)

C'mon, tell, i'll give ya 5 cents
----

Hits total: 15814 | This month: 27