05. Antidote
06. Capricorn At Her Feet
07. Lunar Still
08. A Walk On The Darkside
09. Crystal Gazing
10. As We Eternally Sleep On it
11. The Darkening [Mexican bonus]
+ Everything Invaded [video]

The first time I heard "Moonspell" was some years ago, when I was downloading a bunch of mp3clips from the internet and I took a song, with the name "Vampiria" from a, for me, unknown band named "Moonspell". And when I listened to it the first time, I didn't like it at all, but that was when Hard Rock and Power Metal rules my ears. But I tried to listen to it some more times and for every time I listened to it I liked is more and more. And today, "Vampiria" is one of my favorite Gothic songs. The whole album "Wolfheart" rocked my ears to another Metal level. Today, Gothic Metal is one of my favorite genres, both the real Gothic Metal ("Moonspell", "My Dying Bride" etc) and the Finnish school Gothic is wonderful.
"Moonspell" followed "Wolfheart" up with the album "Irreligious" an album much like "Wolfheart" and then albums like "Sin/Pecado", "2-skin"(some kind of best of or something), "The Butterfly Effect" and then "Darkness And Hope".

More and more they leaved the "Wolfheart" sound and played something else, not even close to "Wolfheart". But now, their new album, "The Antidote" has come out, now they are back, back in the "Wolfheart" times, and I LOVE it. This is what Gothic Metal is all about, lead heavy guitars, more bass and dark, almost growl singing. This, ladies and gentlemen, this is "Moonspell". The first song on this album, "In And Above Man" is a slap in the face on everyone that thought "Moonspell" was "dead". What a heavy song.
One thing that "Moonspell" did right in the "Wolfheart" time was that the music was sensual somehow erotic. This feeling, they have found it again, and "The Antidote" is this years more erotic release.

This is a real killer release, no doubt about that, but it doesn't beat "Wolfheart" but at least they are near now, if they continue to release albums like this, they have a chance to beat "Wolfheart" someday.
Next song on the list, "From Lowering Skies" start with a really nice drum solo, and then is grows to one of the best songs on the album.
But it's not that easy to find a favorite, the single track "Everything Invaded" is a heavy history too. And songs later on the album is great.

So everyone who loves the "old" "Moonspell", this album is dedicated to you.
But I think that all "Moonspell" fans will love this one, it's such a great album.

Killing Songs: Ohh? this is hard, I must say, All of them.

Written by Malcolm | 17.10.2003

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 116 users
27.08.2006 - 14:54
Rating: 10
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Quite possibly Moonspell's best work.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
20.06.2007 - 15:40
Rating: 8
Warman
Erotic Stains
My first and only Moonspell album so far, I love it! So extreme but at the same time beautiful. :
----
08.09.2007 - 20:51
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I dont quite understand this review, it says that the album is good and all but the final rating is a 8? Well 8 still a good rating but after reading this review I really thought that malcolm would give a much higher rating (a 9 perhaps)

but anyways, I love this album, one of my favorites by moonspell
----
26.09.2008 - 14:05
REGRET.

beautiful & seducive
26.09.2008 - 14:28
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
oh, I hadn't posted here?

Well, it's one of my favourites. Definately on the right track for Moonspell.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
09.06.2009 - 23:40
Darkside Momo
Retired
Well considered, this is probably my favorite Moonspell album. A huge and great surprise after the disappointing Darkness And Hope (nearly lost faith in Moonspell with that one back then)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"

Hits total: 5505 | This month: 12