06. Our Cemetery Is Full Of Strangers
07. Muscle
08. Dukes Of Nothing
09. Turpitudes

Sludge metal
Recorded: Déclanché Studio, Switzerland 2009
Label: Listenable Records
Total Running Time: 46:16

Today two Metal Storm reviewers will give you their outspoken and unsalted opinion on the newest Kruger album For Death, Glory And The End Of The World. Enjoy! Or not. Like we care.

Thryce: Pretty sure the guys from Kruger were born while their mothers were on crack, as there's absolutely no mention of anything resembling coherence in their music. Wayward rhythms flow by in a disjointed fashion; creating soundscapes that are incomprehensible in such a consistent way even Bad English would be jealous. Tar-thick riffs keep pummeling along like ponderous elephants wading in an ungainly manner through miles and miles of mangrove swamp. Saying this album is still a bit rough around the edges is nothing short of an understatement.

jupitreas: No shit. It is boring, even though it had potential to be interesting. Like a pet man-eating tiger that does nothing but licks its balls.

Thryce: Talking about testicles, you might need a pair of those for this ballsy adventure. Scientists have proven there's a limit to how much neck breaking sludge the human body can absorb. Well, Kruger's goal is pushing the listener beyond that limit.
Out of their detuned thunderous rage Kruger has designed an immensely oppressive din that is just as vaguely nauseating for me as it is for the next guy. This can either be a good thing or a bad thing... something tells me that same next guy will think of it as a bad thing.

jupitreas: You got that right. Listening to this album is like smoking - it feels great at first as the awesome euphoria envelops you; however, as the addiction kicks in, you realize it does nothing for you and is also pretty unhealthy. Kruger is the same since they dupe you into thinking their music is adventurous when actually it is just produced well. The lack of hooks makes this album too repetitive and this is not High On Fire - you need a bit more than just the ability to make a huge stampeding racket, otherwise Merzbow would by now be sharing the stage with Lady Gaga.

Thryce: Aaaanyway what you really need is a bit of a thick skin to enjoy this album at its fullest. For Death, Glory And The End Of The World is a rough musical ride, sure, so you'll need to keep a steady course through several disturbing moments that are more unsettling than that time you popped a boner a gym class.

jupitreas: Fucking a blowfish also requires a bit of a thick skin but why would you want to do that in the first place? Just look at Killing Joke - another band known for creating earthcrust shattering repetitive slabs of apocalyptic heaviness. They have hooks - melodies, catchy refrains, intriguing lyrics - all elements that Kruger lacks. As a result, For Death, Glory And The End Of The World is forgettable, much like taking an airplane trip without anyone willing to fuck you in the toilet - flying is cool and all but without any pleasure, might as well just get some sleep!

Thryce: Or you could just, y'know, listen to some disarranged music. I hear Kruger are pretty good at that.
One thing's for sure though, everyone will get trampled one way or another in the stampede that is Kruger. Like a bulldozer with a Ferrari engine, the noise-mongers from Kruger will destroy you... or at least your appetite.

Written by Thryce | 10.10.2010

Comments

Comments: 9   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 121 users
10.10.2010 - 12:46
Deadsoulman

I'm a bit torn on this one. It's got a couple of highlights but it also is quite lacklustre and boring at times. It's sometimes interestingly crushing and raw but it lacks the inescapable catchiness of Redemption Through Looseness (which was one of the most surprising albums in the genre). Altogether it's kind of a letdown, especially knowing how high they were able to rise with the previous album.

Fun review by the way.
10.10.2010 - 13:28
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
jupitreas is the master of imaginative simile (proved that once again) .
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
10.10.2010 - 13:48
Darkside Momo
Retired
Nice review guys!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
10.10.2010 - 17:04
Ag Fox
Angel No More
You guys are geniuses!
----
loves 小巫
10.10.2010 - 21:35
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Reference to K7 huh He has already became a beloved folkloric character

Amazing review.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
11.10.2010 - 00:35
Rating: 7
Thanntos

A funny review, but it is quite clear reading that neither of you know particularly a large amount about sludge/post-hardcore.
And instead of a N/A, I would love to see both guys rating for this, as it reads heavily as a 3 or so.

The downsides for the album to me is the vocals get semi annoying after a while, and it's just too similar to early-Rosetta/Isis.
----
I will kill you so hard you will die to death.
11.10.2010 - 16:47
Jon

I love how Bad English's awesomely confusing comments are now famous enough to warrant him being compared to in a review.
----
A mythology is a religion different enough from your own for it's absurdity to be obvious.
13.10.2010 - 12:05
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
This review is so fucking hilarious...
30.10.2010 - 20:41
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
BEST. REVIEW. EVER.
----
(space for rent)

Hits total: 5285 | This month: 11