Metal Storm logo
Piano/Keyboard/Synth Players

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 20:03
So this thread is designed for MSers who play the piano, keyboard and synthesizer to talk about playing techniques, what brand of pianos, keyboards, synthesizers they use, what pieces they think are the hardest, what kind of music they like to compose, etc, etc...
25.03.2008 - 10:48
SleeplessMalice
Account deleted
Written by Arrwyn on 08.03.2008 at 17:08

I am actually stepping back from all the crazy solos that everyone tries to do all the time. I mean, I admit I try to match Henrik with his 32nd note solos with a 170 tempo, however, I am really starting to focus on the more classical aspects of keyboarding and really focusing on the progressive chord progressions with the strings and what not.

I really don't see what the big deal about Henrik Klingenberg is. He must be the sloppiest metal keyboard player I have ever heard in a professional band. Do you people even listen to the solos he plays live? I'm embarrased to be a keyboard player if I hear him. They should have kept Mikko Härkin. Oh, and why not try to improve your soloing technique anymore? Even if you don't intend to play solos live or use them in your music, it is always good to work on the speed and accuracy of your fingers.

Anyone here own a Korg KARMA? When I attended ProgPower last year, I noticed not only Henrik using one, but the keyboardist of Pagan's Mind. It sounded beautiful, though, a lot of people tell me it does too much work for you. Just wanted to hear someone else's opinion.

I've actually talked to Ronny from Pagan's Mind after their show here in Belgium two weeks ago. What he does with the Korg Karma is amazing and he really doesn't make the intrument work for him. When I see him play it, and I watched his every move closely, his fingers were always busy. I can ask him more about the Karma if you'd like me to. We've been sending emails back and forth lately. Pagan's Mind is on tour nowadays. When I asked Ronny about the Karma he said it was a very reliable instrument, but he was thinking of getting a Nord Lead, he couldn't stop talking about it. But the Karma is really really worth purchasing. I myself am thinking of getting one as soon as my bank account is a bit more spiced.
25.03.2008 - 10:51
SleeplessMalice
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 15.03.2008 at 19:55

hi

i'm a keyboard player also:)
but i need the sheest of Sonata Arctica ther music just rock's does anyone knows where I can get ther music?

thnx

Try www.ultimate-guitar.com/ You can find all kinds of sheets there from many many different bands.
25.03.2008 - 14:15
Hangar XVIII
This is a Piano/Keyboard/Synth thread, but I think Organ deserves a place in the title too. I consider myself primarily guitarist, but I own a 1969 Italian Vox Super Continental Organ, which is quite tempting to play every once in a while. It's a sick dual manual, with reversed key colors. They're quite hard to find, but if you can get ahold of one. It has a very Deep Purple or early Uriah Heep feel, such as with Machine Head or Look at Yourself.
For non-metal musicians, it has a super-accurate doors tone.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
27.03.2008 - 10:52
SleeplessMalice
Account deleted
Written by Hangar XVIII on 25.03.2008 at 14:15

This is a Piano/Keyboard/Synth thread, but I think Organ deserves a place in the title too...

...For non-metal musicians, it has a super-accurate doors tone.

Yea, but this ís a metal forum... Haha just messing with you. There are some metal bands who use organ sounds in their songs. We were talking about Hendrik Klingenberg, well he uses organ sounds a lot on Reckoning Night (and probably also on Unia, but I wouldn't know that cause I threw that album in the trash after the first time I listened to it...) and Per Liberg from Opeth does it too, with his Korg Karma I think. But they don't use old organs of course. On the Aina: The Metal Opera album they use some organ now and then too and that just might be from real organs, I should investigate further... Oh, when I recorded the Skinclad album for my former band Crusader, I played one of my key solos on an old Hammond that was standing in the studio.
27.03.2008 - 14:06
Hangar XVIII
Oh yeah, I heard some of the Opeth organ, it's pretty sweet.

Nic that you used one for our band too.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
30.03.2008 - 13:44
SleeplessMalice
Account deleted
Hm yea, although i'm not a big fan of vintage stuff... yet. Maybe later I'll start collected them too, who knows.
31.03.2008 - 06:47
Unterdrücker
Account deleted
@Hangar XVIII: When I mentioned piano or synth, organ would also apply seeing as on an electric piano and synthesizer you can get killer organ sounds so organ implied too...
02.05.2008 - 01:37
Nomayoplx
Account deleted
Hi everyone! First time poster here, and I just recently purchased a Roland Juno-D synthesizer for the band I'm in. My band is death metal/hardcore metal and I was wondering what kind of patches work best for that type of music. I'm sure using the editor software would be best, but is there any patches that are currently installed that would best compliment that type of music?

Another question I have is if the Juno-D was a good purchase for this type of music. Thanks in advance!
09.06.2008 - 10:08
SleeplessMalice
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.05.2008 at 01:37

Hi everyone! First time poster here, and I just recently purchased a Roland Juno-D synthesizer for the band I'm in. My band is death metal/hardcore metal and I was wondering what kind of patches work best for that type of music. I'm sure using the editor software would be best, but is there any patches that are currently installed that would best compliment that type of music?

I don't think there are patches typical for metal. It all depends on what yoú want to sound like. If you want to sound symphonic, you should use something strings-based. But as I recall correctly, the strings on the Juno-D are not the best around. The Juno-D does have some great synth and analog sounds, so maybe you can try using those in your band. If you want to play leads, I suggest using the synth lead patches 35 and 41, they sounded awesome.

Written by Guest on 02.05.2008 at 01:37
Another question I have is if the Juno-D was a good purchase for this type of music. Thanks in advance!

Like I said, it depends on what you want to do with it. You won't be getting huge orchestral arrangements out of it. In my opinion, the Juno-D is rather limited and has only a handful of very good sounds, so later on you might want to advance to something better. Either way, the Juno-D is a great board as a beginner's instrument and it's a good one to learn how Roland works (if you want to stick to Roland that is...)
30.10.2009 - 13:26
I've been learning keyboard from 3 months and the process is going well
But I don't know, how can I play songs which are originally played on guitars ? I feel it's impossible to be played
i.e. I've got a guitar pro file for Wherever I may roam, I found 2 guitars and bass so what shall I play from all of these ? and by the way I think it's impossible to play guitar riffs on keyboard because they're so so fast !!!!!!!!!!!
Note : I am a beginner so any tips could really help ,
thanks
01.11.2009 - 19:42
InnerSelf
proofread free
Simply play keyboard songs
i.e. A fair judgment "Opeth"
something by Amy lee "she writes nice songs which are not that hard"
or anything classical
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
04.12.2009 - 01:28
0rpheus
Written by The Night Wisher on 30.10.2009 at 13:26

I've been learning keyboard from 3 months and the process is going well
But I don't know, how can I play songs which are originally played on guitars ? I feel it's impossible to be played
i.e. I've got a guitar pro file for Wherever I may roam, I found 2 guitars and bass so what shall I play from all of these ? and by the way I think it's impossible to play guitar riffs on keyboard because they're so so fast !!!!!!!!!!!
Note : I am a beginner so any tips could really help ,
thanks

It's not a good idea to do. I don't prefer covering guitars on keyboard.
You must be a fan of many melodic/symphonic metal bands, why not focusing on their songs, you can cover so many songs using your keyboard & I mean to cover the keys/synths parts & let the guitars for the guitarists.
And regarding guitar pro, I advice you to not use it if you have an ear for music, you may slow down the play speed of these fast songs you can't play.
And keep it up
----
I would prefer not to.
04.12.2009 - 01:41
0rpheus

I am actually stepping back from all the crazy solos that everyone tries to do all the time. I mean, I admit I try to match Henrik with his 32nd note solos with a 170 tempo, however, I am really starting to focus on the more classical aspects of keyboarding and really focusing on the progressive chord progressions with the strings and what not. In the end, I feel so much more accomplished sounding like a beautiful orchestra rather than a keyboardist on crack. As of the moment, I have a KORG X50 synthesizer, a Roland AX-7 midi controller, and a Yamaha stage piano. My boyfriend and I are composing more of the melodic death compositions, though I have been experimenting with a lot of the folk/viking metal genre. Fun stuff.

Anyone here own a Korg KARMA? When I attended ProgPower last year, I noticed not only Henrik using one, but the keyboardist of Pagan's Mind. It sounded beautiful, though, a lot of people tell me it does too much work for you. Just wanted to hear someone else's opinion.

Yes I'm very sure Korg KARMA sounds awesome I won't hesitate to buy it when I have the chance. I didn't try it before but it has a lot of features, options & yes, there're many musicians use it - even gay Tuomas (Nightwish)
----
I would prefer not to.
17.02.2010 - 20:56
AMD
Hi all, was looking for advice on buying a new synth. was looking for a workstation for doing metal music like soilwork, in flames etc. does anyone know which workstation synth would be best? i was looking at the roland fantom and the yamaha xs series but am unsure as to how suitable each would be. i have two nords at the moment (electro 3 and lead2x) but find changing patches on the lead to be a bit of a pain when using live.

any help would be appreciated

cheers:banger2:
----
www.myspace.com/amachinedivine
Gear list: Roland Fantom G7, Nord Electro 3, Nord Lead 2x, Novation KS rack, Novation Ultranova, Korg Mickrocorg, Korg X5DR, Arturia Analog Factory
04.03.2010 - 16:47
Arrwyn
Well, it isn't a workstation, but if you want something with amazing patches with a good price tag, check out the Korg X50. Firewind sports this keyboard and they make it sound beautiful. Korg Karma has a sequencer and you can find it for around 400 bucks on Ebay; I went to ProgPower a couple of years ago and half the bands on stage used it so it is still a decent keyboard. I never had much luck with Roland; except the AX-7 (which is not that great of a midi controller either haha). If you like Yamaha and can afford it, the Motif is an amazing workstation.
08.03.2010 - 06:06
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Yeah, the Korg X50 is an amazing piece of machinery...I have it and I am still not bored of it...
29.10.2010 - 22:36
ApolloFC
I have a pretty nice Yamaha piano... the only thing I don't have on the piano is speed (to be fixed in the upcoming semester... I'm primarily a sax player). I'm a student composer and I like to use the piano to give me ideas for soundtrack based scores and then use Finale to write it out for my local concert band.
28.11.2010 - 05:51
Alex Smith
I've got Casio. I normally use only two sounds: piano and strings. Gotta try some organs in the future.
10.12.2010 - 01:13
0rpheus
I have a crap of Yamaha. Gosh! I need a Nord Electro 3 along with a KORG TR
----
I would prefer not to.
25.01.2011 - 00:45
AMD
Well i got me a new synth, well two 8P

Nice new Fantom G7. Was well worth the wait as i got it really cheap from GG-Digital in Glasgow. Awesome patches and the Gui is just amazing.
Seen Soilwork using one also Omnium Gatherum and the sound was mindblowing!!! (just need to learn how to utilise it to its potential now hahaha)

Also got a Novation Ultranova for the studio. PHat as hell, can highly recommend one of these for nice searing leads and awesome pads
----
www.myspace.com/amachinedivine
Gear list: Roland Fantom G7, Nord Electro 3, Nord Lead 2x, Novation KS rack, Novation Ultranova, Korg Mickrocorg, Korg X5DR, Arturia Analog Factory
12.02.2013 - 01:06
Tcan
Hi dudes , im in a process of forming a band , and type is Melodic death. I cant find any keyboardist here so decided to learn myself .

So can you suggest me some models or

which one is better.

korg microstation workstation
Edirol PCR-500 USB MIDI Keyboard ( this is very cheap so is it good )
Yamaha PSR Series
08.04.2013 - 19:54
JaciLeigh
I have two keyboards (one is reaching the point of being broken beyond repair), and I've basically taught myself how to play. I'm not entirely sure I'm doing it right, but I can play sheet music for my clarinet and I have fun messing around with it :-) I used the notes from my clarinet (starting off with E as the lowest) and went up from there, so that's what I use to figure songs out, and I have figured out what white keys are flats and everything, I think. Do I have the notes correct?
09.04.2013 - 02:03
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I sold my awhile back, but I still use synth in my music. I just write it through guitar pro. I really should get another.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS