16. Return To The Eve [1985 studio jam]

Found in 54 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 81   Visited by: 1363 users
14.10.2010 - 15:02
Kenos
Account deleted
No comments for such a spectacular work.
I'll provide for that:
UH!!
10.12.2010 - 09:28
BloodFireDeath

Don't like it? well fine then go bite off your own balls or tear out your clit.
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
10.12.2010 - 14:55
RavenKing

The only listenable album in Celtic Frost's immensely overrated discography. Still, far from great.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
10.12.2010 - 15:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by RavenKing on 10.12.2010 at 14:55

The only listenable album in Celtic Frost's immensely overrated discography. Still, far from great.

totally agreed. But then again its forerunner Hellhammer is even more overrated. Another overrated band I would like to add is Bathory and also Venom.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.12.2010 - 21:43
RavenKing

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.12.2010 at 15:52

totally agreed. But then again its forerunner Hellhammer is even more overrated. Another overrated band I would like to add is Bathory and also Venom.

I don't think Bathory's Black Metal period is overrated, as it's far from being popular. However, their material after "Blood Fire Death" is overrated (especially as the few Thrash albums suck major ass).

Hellhammer is pure shit. And Venom is often compared to Bathory but Bathory is a significant step above.
----
10.01.2011 - 06:35
BloodFireDeath

Bathory is a GREAT fucking band. I think some of their viking albums are overrated though.
----
10.01.2011 - 06:36
BloodFireDeath

This is not nearly as overrated as some of death's releases.
----
10.01.2011 - 15:45
Rating: 8
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by BloodFireDeath on 10.01.2011 at 06:36

This is as overrated as some of death's releases.

Fixed for accuracy.

But I still like it.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
10.01.2011 - 23:46
BloodFireDeath

Yeah ok. Clumsy grammar i know. Death is still very overrated though haha.
----
12.01.2011 - 13:56
RavenKing

Problem with Viking era Bathory is vocals. Quorthon was very good at harsh vocals but mediocre (and even awful at times) as for clean vocals. It spoils a lot on "Hammerheart" and "Twilight Of The Gods".
----
17.04.2011 - 08:04
JCJen7

Do you like any early black metal bands? or is it a genre you dislike as a whole?
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
17.04.2011 - 15:51
RavenKing

Written by JCJen7 on 17.04.2011 at 08:04

Do you like any early black metal bands? or is it a genre you dislike as a whole?

Among the so-called 'early Black Metal bands', only Bathory can be considered as Black Metal.
Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Venom, Mercyful Fate are not Black Metal.
----
18.04.2011 - 04:59
JCJen7

Written by RavenKing on 17.04.2011 at 15:51

Written by JCJen7 on 17.04.2011 at 08:04

Among the so-called 'early Black Metal bands', only Bathory can be considered as Black Metal.
Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Venom, Mercyful Fate are not Black Metal.

Yeah, I have always kinda questioned calling them that. Ok, *Do you like any commonly known as early black metal bands, although many including Ravenking would dispute that? Or is it a misnamed genre in the eyes of many that you dislike as a whole?*
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
18.04.2011 - 08:50
Void_Eater
Account deleted
I do find this band to be overrated-influential, but on purely musical terms, not legendary status. Still, a good band, with this album, and Monotheist being their best albums. Triptykon though... Their debut is the heaviest album ever, maybe tied with Devourment.
03.02.2012 - 23:00
Rating: 8
Zombie94

Which Death era are you referring to? I much prefer their later proggier stuff to the old school death metal style of stuff like "Scream Bloody Gore". But then I tend not to like old school death metal in general :\
10.02.2012 - 09:05
BloodFireDeath

Written by Zombie94 on 03.02.2012 at 23:00

Which Death era are you referring to? I much prefer their later proggier stuff to the old school death metal style of stuff like "Scream Bloody Gore". But then I tend not to like old school death metal in general :\

Well I think the later stuff is overrated yes but STILL good. I just think with me its about taste whereas it is just not my thing. Do I think it is overrated? Yes a bit. But that in no way means it is in any shape or form bad. I just love this Celtic Frost release because I can listen to it from start to finish and feel fullfilled. As for Death their best album in my mind is their transitional one Human. It is their heaviest and most colorfull.
----
05.03.2012 - 20:44
Korah

Epic album!
----
Don't cry for my English
31.03.2012 - 13:43
Rating: 9
musicalkaratekid

Celtic frost may well have been categrozied as thrash metal in the 80's (specifically before into the pandemonium), but the doom and gloom of some of their songs spawned a different atmosphere to that of any other metal band achieving similar success. Being one of only three bands from switzerland that i actually listen to, this band sure did know how to construct a few powerful songs around such 'terrifying' concepts. And let's face it, the symphonic material used in the instrumentals and in some of the songs had a better use then than some symphonic metal bands do today. An album that perhaps paved the way properly for extreme sub-genres, and rightly so.
03.06.2012 - 19:41
mes

Really solid album, bought it for dirt cheap when i started getting more into metal and was more or less an initiation for me into this sort of delicious mix of thrashiness and 'crunchy' production. Admittedly, I was young so it took me a while to 'appreciate' (i.e. not laugh at) the high vocals on tracks like Circle of the Tyrants. tr00

Also agree with musicalkaratekid about the sounds used to create atmosphere setting this album apart, the big horn sounds reminding me of Sumerian influence in stuff like Behemoth, etc.

Still love to revisit, awesome primitive ur-thrash!
29.06.2012 - 21:35
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted

Hellhammer is even more overrated. Another overrated band I would like to add is Bathory and also Venom.

They were the most influential bands for the black metal and also others extreme metal sub-genres. You are not a fan of black metal, right?
29.06.2012 - 21:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 29.06.2012 at 21:35

Hellhammer is even more overrated. Another overrated band I would like to add is Bathory and also Venom.

They were the most influential bands for the black metal and also others extreme metal sub-genres. You are not a fan of black metal, right?

I am a big fan of black metal.

They might have been of influence but so were loads of other bands. Their influence seems to be overstressed nowadays.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.06.2012 - 21:42
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.06.2012 at 21:37

Written by Guest on 29.06.2012 at 21:35

They might have been of influence but so were loads of other bands. Their influence seems to be overstressed nowadays.

Hm.. I am not a big fan of black metal, but I think Bathory and Venom kick the @$$ of any other black metal band, even the ones from the sec. wave, but opinions are opinions.
13.01.2013 - 22:25
megadeath13
Account deleted
Life changing album! Every single note in this album is phenomenal. Its dark and evil. So way ahead of its time.
20.01.2013 - 23:21
Illog1cal
Account deleted
Great, if a little unmemorable at times and also repetitive.
14.04.2013 - 06:13
Rating: 10
squidrick420

Quote:

I agree that a ton of the truly influential bands go unnoticed and get overshadowed by Venom, Bathory, and the usual. Bands like Flames Of Hell, Tormentor, Root, Torr, Sadistik Execution,Vulcano, and quite a few others are also fairly important to the development of BM in their own way.
29.04.2013 - 08:02
Lião
Account deleted
Nothing can be said about this release today, now acclaimed as a masterpiece in the history of extreme metal music.
31.05.2013 - 04:33
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Dawn of meggido is awesome. Cool song with gothic touches.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
24.04.2014 - 05:33
Rating: 9
Timelord

I laugh at just how stupid people sound when they spout off the cliched " so and so is overrated". The only thing I hear is ' I don't like it and you shouldn't either ". If a particular band or album receives high ratings/positive reviews, acknowledged as a major influence by hundreds of bands and/or credited for shaping a whole new genre for 30+yrs THEY ARE NOT OVERRATED!! I get it. People have different tastes and there is a shitload of bands that I personally don't care for while most love it. I never use the whiny "overrated" statement . People have spoken and it is what it is. Don't like it? Your choice move along then. Stop trying to make others seem inferior to your almighty preferences.
24.04.2014 - 06:05
Lit.
Account deleted
^ Jeez, what a whiner.

Anyway, this album is massively overrated, as is anything prior to Monotheist. Now that's a good Celtic Frost album.
24.04.2014 - 20:35
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 24.04.2014 at 18:16

A band could shit in your mouth and you would find it good as long as it was new/modern.

Celtic Frost is one of many cases of bands who's legacy outweighs the quality of their music, like Venom or Kreator. Except being, in this case, Celtic Frost actually released an album that's actually good and outdoes their previous discography by country miles, something that can't be said for the other two listed bands (and are, at least, not trying to relive the sorry old days, like Venom).

Don't get so sore about it, you angry little man.

Hits total: 27900 | This month: 95