02. Knifehole
03. Burn In
04. 3X3
05. Pacifier
06. Blackwater
07. Architeuthis
08. The Deluge
09. Eyes To Silent Walls

Traverser is a mainstream influenced progressive rock band, influenced by such outfits as the Deftones, A Perfect Circle and Tool. There is a tricky elegance to most progressive music, something that comes only though endless hours of practice and the careful incorporation of different styles into a cohesive whole. In other words, balance though constant motion. Traverser's debut album, Telemetry, is well on its way, but still has miles ahead before it can match the level of technical prowess needed to create those expansive, epic songs that fans of this genre so enjoy.

According to the info sheet, this band listeners are to be introduced to a "sprawling landscape of thought provoking music," unfortunately; the thoughts provoked had little to do with creativity or contemplation.

There is a general lack of depth to the songs which could easily be remedied by additions to the lower end. More bass and heavier drums are needed to flesh this out, preventing them from sounding like overextended repetitions. This is most evident in the track 'Architeuthis', over seven minutes in length. I was expecting more of a showcase of talent and progressive artistry but instead it was more reminiscent of an ignored ringtone muffled by a pocket.

There is a tendency to flirt with the progressive and then abandon it within the chorus. Now I know the point of most choruses in music is to anchor the song for listeners, re-establishing the consistency of the song. In Traverser's case however, they wind up as more of an interruption. The music flows so beautifully until the brick wall of the chorus stops you in your tracks, and cuts the song into fragmentary pieces.

Instrumentally, the best tracks to start with are 'Burn In' and 'Knifehole,' because they actually get to the level of "progression" the band was probably aiming for and we don't run into aly of those "chorus walls" I mentioned earlier. Lyrically... well let's just say the vocals wear you down after a little while. David Medairos' style fits on some tracks, but will sail over the guitars, becoming too separated from the instrumentals on others. Luckily, the worst vocals on this album are always accompanied by the best instrumentals and vice versa so there is potential, if those two things find themselves next to each other for once.

Right now, Traverser has the drive to create powerful, "thought provoking" music as it were, the album is performed very well - a clear sign of its talented members. The length of songs have taken precedent over the content and could use some serious tweaking, starting with the connections between vocals and instrumentals. Until then, it will be difficult for listeners to visit the "sprawling landscape" Traverser has promised us.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by | 16.10.2010

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 72 users
16.10.2010 - 03:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Sounds like everything I dislike about prog wrapped into one album.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.10.2010 - 07:30
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Written by Doc G. on 16.10.2010 at 03:58

Sounds like everything I dislike about prog wrapped into one album.

Indeed, this doesn't sound like something i'd actually like
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
18.10.2010 - 22:51
Edmund Fogg

Great review.Let's hope these guys improve and then I'll be curious to hear more
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
30.10.2010 - 10:36
traverser

Hello, I want to sincerely thank you for taking the time to review our debut effort, Telemetry. I agree that we have much to learn, and we have a long way to go toward our goals. Part of what makes me proud of this band is that we are highly motivated, and also we try to stay as humble as possible and realize that we are learning our craft as we go along. I want to thank you for including compliments on our strengths where you found them, and certainly we are able to accept constructive criticism where it's applicable.

As the singer and main orchestrator of the music we write, there is nothing I want more than than to earn the respect of those who come along as new listeners, and to take what lessons are offered seriously. For the record, we don't consider ourselves a fully prog band in the standard definition. We more think of ourselves as those who wish to slip in prog influences on unsuspecting mainstream rock audiences. We can't expect everyone to fall all over themselves for our first run at what we're aiming for, nor can we expect a new listener to understand the history of our band, recordings, and writing process. But none the less feel that we're going down the right path for us, and we will continue to work toward what we feel is the end result of what we think we can achieve. Thanks again for taking the time to listen, and to comment on what you felt were the stong and weak points of where we are in our musical growth. I hope that you will regard us as friendly and humble musicians, who truly wish to offer the best we can at this point in our development.

The bottom line being that we do in fact care about where we are, and where we are trying to go. We hope that in the future you would be willing to listen again, and we will do everything in our power to improve our work, not for you, and not for whoever cares to comment on this forum specifically, but because it's the right attitude to have.

Thank you, and take care. David- Traverser

Hits total: 5930 | This month: 5