Album: Imperfeições Da Mão Humana
Release date: May 2010

01. Absolvição
02. Tradição Ancestral
03. O Covil
04. Acto Perfeito
05. ...E Os Corpos Deixaram De Vir
06. Trono Abdicado

Portugal seems to hold a small blossoming doom metal core that is expanding with the passing of years and what is more important is the fact that the works of these bands definitely have something to say, justifying their cause of existence. Insaniae is one of those acts, returning during 2010 with their second album to date, Imperfeições Da Mão Humana, in which you will find among others the two compositions that appeared in 2009's split with Mourning Lenore, "O Covil" and "Tradição Ancestral".

I would refer to their sound as atmospheric doom/death metal due to the usage of operatic/ethereal female vocals that are being present through the whole duration of the album, not only in one or two songs. One could possibly say that Insaniae bring forth memories of early Theatre Of Tragedy with a mid-paced heavier edge and without the gothic elements and the keyboards since they rely on the main instruments. It's probably because Isabel Cristina reminds of Liv Kristine and because I wouldn't like to be misinterpreted I don't mean in terms of how she sounds like, her voice has a different tone, but in the way she interprets, the vocal choreography is reminiscent. Yet she manages to tolerate this really well since she owns a beautiful voice and expresses herself in various climaxes, offering diversity in the compositions that would probably make Insaniae seem like another generic doom/death metal band without her, without this meaning that I underestimate the rest of the band! They know what they're doing for sure, a very good musicianship surrounds both Isabel and Diogo who owns a good throat, offering an intense, deep grunting interpretation and some pleasant shrieks (the laugh at "Trono Abdicado" is quite sardonic).

The basic idea is mainly mid-tempo arrangements that slow down or speed up a little at times. The album is adorned with heavy and slow-paced guitars that are not afraid to present melodic harmonies or soloing moments like the beautiful one on "O Covil", bass lines that are vivid in the final mix and blend really well with the either accompanying or imposing drumming that holds tight the compositions. Imperfeições Da Mão Humana is a very good album and simply because there is a sound balance inbetween the songs through its whole duration it's better served as a whole rather than solitary tracks. Something very good in my opinion since this harmony keeps your interest at welcome levels without sounding monotonous, although 62 minutes may tire a little bit at times, always depending on your mood at the current moment. But still, the more you listen to it, the more it grows on you, it holds an introvert travelling sense through bittersweet or more threatening soundscapes.

A solid release, an atmospheric piece of doom/death metal fame whose ambiance doesn't require keyboards to sound more complete or more expressive, every single member and all together serve their purpose really well. I'd like to hear more from them in the future.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written on 17.10.2010 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 96 users
17.10.2010 - 11:35
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I haven't got this yet, but from what I've heard of them, this album is a great release I believe. I tend to take some time getting into doom bands but their songs moved me right away.. That is very rare to happen to me. Another good band promoting our country to the community.
I like the review man. Thanks for your effort.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
17.10.2010 - 13:25
Merchant of Doom

I really liked this one...
17.10.2010 - 13:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Very enjoyable and the female vocals are better now than on their split with Mourning Lenore, but still do tend to spoil the music from time to time. A bit too gothicy for my tastes at times as well.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2010 - 14:18
Merchant of Doom

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.10.2010 at 13:44

V A bit too gothicy for my tastes at times as well.

The female voice doesn't help in this respect... it's a bit superfluous...
17.10.2010 - 15:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Merchant of Doom on 17.10.2010 at 14:18

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.10.2010 at 13:44

V A bit too gothicy for my tastes at times as well.

The female voice doesn't help in this respect... it's a bit superfluous...

Exactly, that too.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2010 - 20:39
Rating: 8
InnerSelf
proofread free
I liked this album alot and still enjoy it from time to time , I'd give it a solid 8
I actually found the female vocals very good especially on Acto Perfeito
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
18.10.2010 - 22:38
Edmund Fogg

Incredible, once again a perfectly written review that even with a score just above average makes the reader curious. I will be checking them out later tonight. thx
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
19.10.2010 - 10:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Edmund Fogg on 18.10.2010 at 22:38

Incredible, once again a perfectly written review that even with a score just above average makes the reader curious. I will be checking them out later tonight. thx

7.5 is a lot higher than average and is actually considered as good.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.10.2010 - 14:29
Edmund Fogg

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.10.2010 at 10:23

Written by Edmund Fogg on 18.10.2010 at 22:38

7.5 is a lot higher than average and is actually considered as good.

Well in my book, 7 is average so yes 7.5 is good but still just above average.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
22.10.2010 - 05:10
Raging Dreamer

Rozzzzzzz! Long time no see! Check your email I got one for you. Miss you bunches!
Glad to see you're still doing reviews...

Lisa
aka Raging Dreamer
28.12.2010 - 02:53
Jason W.
Razorbliss
It seems I missed this one back when it was reviewed, and looking at the date it was published, I'm already sure it was due to the crazy month at my day job preventing me from keeping up. A really good disc, I hope it's not obscene with pricing to have it imported here. I love the review's references to Theatre Of Tragedy, because while they are hard to pinpoint they are also ever-present, yet never directly related. A slightly warm production is nicely appreciated here too, with a clear presence in each member's performance. Accurate review
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley

Hits total: 4018 | This month: 8