Metal Storm logo
Epic Metal?

17.10.2010 - 19:27
Luneth
Account deleted
I was wondering, qhy are there no categories for epic metal bands? Are they not popular enough or are there too few? I know Dragonland are definetely an Epic [Synphonic] band so even more refined! Why are there so few Epic metal bands?! Dystera are another reat band, no coverage of them here at all!
17.10.2010 - 22:37
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Because there's no such thing as "epic" metal that can be put into its own genre.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
17.10.2010 - 23:20
Kennoth

Are you referring to power metal perhaps?
----
*insert something deep and profound*
17.10.2010 - 23:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Epic metal can be ewerything what is epic, go check some menaing of name epic, put it in genre and there be be epic metal
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.10.2010 - 00:19
Kennoth

If you put it that way; most of the things we like we consider epic to a certain degree, which leads to a highly subjective term.
----
18.10.2010 - 00:25
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Epic metal is a compliment, it's like calling Freddy Mercury a god. You aren'r really affirming the existence of a supreme being, you're just paying a compliment. A few songs that deserve the title would be "The Poet and the Pendulum", "The Sixth Extinction", "Ghost Love Score", "Sacred Worlds", "Wheel Of Time", "Memento Mori", "Shadows of Death", and "White Pearl, Black Oceans".
18.10.2010 - 01:26
Kennoth

Written by Guest on 18.10.2010 at 00:25

"Memento Mori"

The Agonist perhaps?
----
18.10.2010 - 01:54
Malevolent-Jim

Epic metal is a compliment, it's like calling Freddy Mercury a god. You aren'r really affirming the existence of a supreme being, you're just paying a compliment. A few songs that deserve the title would be "The Poet and the Pendulum", "The Sixth Extinction", "Ghost Love Score", "Sacred Worlds", "Wheel Of Time", "Memento Mori", "Shadows of Death", and "White Pearl, Black Oceans".

Kamelot...Nightwish...Blind Guardian and some other stuff...They are epic epic songs indeed!

I don't think Epic should be used as a term for a genre..it's too vague.Some people could consider epic to just be rather long songs, while others consider epic music to have choirs and memorable guitar solos,or both.It's too subjective for it to have its's own genre..which is why subgenres are a silly idea, because they're taken waaaaay too far.
18.10.2010 - 02:44
Zuzuz0r

Epic can be a pretty subjective term(like some people already said in this thread), but in Metal, it's mostly related to bands with music and lyrics related to fantasy, bands like Rhapsody, Blind Guardian or Summoning are often related with "Epic" because of their lyrical themes and often, their music having a "fantasy"/medieval like sound.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
18.10.2010 - 14:03
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Epic metal! does it exist?
18.10.2010 - 15:23
Luneth
Account deleted
Well the reason I ask is because I've seen Dragonland on this labelled as an 'Epic Symphonic Power Metal' band. I always assumed it was like extreme fantasy themes and the like. Another band that is accepted as 'Epic' is Dystera, and they meet that criteria as well. I'm not suggesting 'Epic' in the literal meaning, i.e: 'Epicly good' or 'superior', I honestly thought it was a genre like Symphonic, Exteme or Death :s
18.10.2010 - 19:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
There is such a thing as epic metal. Usually it's either epic power metal or epic doom metal.

Check for example Doomsword or Atlantean Kodex
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2010 - 19:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
How could I forget epic heavy metal with bans such as Cirith Ungol, Manilla Road, Old Season
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2010 - 19:41
FOOCK Nam

Written by Malevolent-Jim on 18.10.2010 at 01:54

Kamelot...Nightwish...Blind Guardian and some other stuff...They are epic epic songs indeed!

I don't think Epic should be used as a term for a genre..it's too vague.Some people could consider epic to just be rather long songs, while others consider epic music to have choirs and memorable guitar solos,or both.It's too subjective for it to have its's own genre..which is why subgenres are a silly idea, because they're taken waaaaay too far.

Concurred as regarded of whole musically aspect. Epic is an element which is very refined and mighty in metal.
18.10.2010 - 19:46
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by FOOCK Nam on 18.10.2010 at 19:41

Written by Malevolent-Jim on 18.10.2010 at 01:54

Concurred as regarded of whole musically aspect. Epic is an element which is very refined and mighty in metal.

I wouldn't consider Blind Guardian/Nightwish to be Epic metal bands. Kamelot possibly because of the fantasy themes surrounding their music. I repeat: Epic isn't a denotation of 'perceived quality'...just a genre.
19.10.2010 - 00:18
RavenKing

Epic metal is not a genre and epicness is quite subjective. For example, lots of people consider cheesy Flowermetal as the epitome of epicness, while I find it way too cheesy to be considered epic in any way and I find lots of Black Metal bands much more epic than Powermetal or 'symphonic metal' (another genre that doesn't really exist, as you can find symphonic elements in several metal genres).

Bottom line is 'epic metal' doesn't exist.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
19.10.2010 - 01:06
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 19.10.2010 at 00:18

Epic metal is not a genre and epicness is quite subjective. For example, lots of people consider cheesy Flowermetal as the epitome of epicness, while I find it way too cheesy to be considered epic in any way and I find lots of Black Metal bands much more epic than Powermetal or 'symphonic metal' (another genre that doesn't really exist, as you can find symphonic elements in several metal genres).

How can you talk about subjectiveness when you say 'cheesy flowermetal'

Like I said, and will say again, EPIC METAL IS A GENRE, NOT PERCIEVED QUALITY.
19.10.2010 - 05:27
RavenKing

Written by Guest on 19.10.2010 at 01:06

Nah, you just don't understand. What it means is simply that what can be epic for someone can be not epic at all for someone else and vice-versa. There's no such genre as epic metal because epicness depends solely on the perception of the listener.

What is written in capital letters is totally misguided and wrong. Feel free to stick to your delusional idea but the fact that what is epic or not varies from an individual to another is the proof that you're wrong. It's all subjective and based on tastes and perception.
----
19.10.2010 - 06:55
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by RavenKing on 19.10.2010 at 05:27

Nah, you just don't understand. What it means is simply that what can be epic for someone can be not epic at all for someone else and vice-versa. There's no such genre as epic metal because epicness depends solely on the perception of the listener.

What is written in capital letters is totally misguided and wrong. Feel free to stick to your delusional idea but the fact that what is epic or not varies from an individual to another is the proof that you're wrong. It's all subjective and based on tastes and perception.

Well, I wouldn't agree 100%, as I believe epic is more objectively applied to certain genres. However "epic" is such a ridiculously broad term that it really doesn't warrant it's own sub-category.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
19.10.2010 - 12:35
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 19.10.2010 at 06:55

Written by RavenKing on 19.10.2010 at 05:27

Well, I wouldn't agree 100%, as I believe epic is more objectively applied to certain genres. However "epic" is such a ridiculously broad term that it really doesn't warrant it's own sub-category.

That's what I'm saying, 'epic' metal does encompass certain attributes of metal which are similar among bands that are considered 'epic'. They aren't considered 'epic' because that's one subjective opinion, they're 'epic' because they as a band fulfill certain criteria that make them so. My two examples were Dragonland and Dystera. Listen to thos two bands and tell me there's no similarity in their style of play.

Epica and Magica are similar bands because they're 'SYMPHONIC', i.e, their music fits a certain criteria- in even more layman terms: their music has aspects of it that sounds the same. It's not that difficult to understand...
19.10.2010 - 13:29
RavenKing

However "epic" is such a ridiculously broad term that it really doesn't warrant it's own sub-category.

I think lots of people have a tendency to confuse cheesiness and epicness, so they mistake many over-the-top cheesy things as 'epic'.
----
19.10.2010 - 13:49
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 19.10.2010 at 13:29

However "epic" is such a ridiculously broad term that it really doesn't warrant it's own sub-category.

I think lots of people have a tendency to confuse cheesiness and epicness, so they mistake many over-the-top cheesy things as 'epic'.

*gives up*
19.10.2010 - 14:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
@RavenKing alhough something is cheesy as hell it can still be epic.
Just like in poetry. Some epic poems are cheesy as fuck but still epic because of its form.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.10.2010 - 14:42
GT
Coffee!!
I think I agree with what has been said by Doc and Marcel.

Was thinking about some other term to compare the epic term with and only 'brutal' came up. "Epic metal" doesn't excist the same way "brutal metal" doesn't. It's just an additional label used to describe the feelings of said music
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
19.10.2010 - 20:38
Luneth
Account deleted
What you guys have said here seems to be the consesus of most metal sites. They seem to be suggesting that it is something subjective, whereas I'm saying its an actual genre, the same as symphonic, speed or thrash. I guess not...thats how it should be :p
19.10.2010 - 20:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
@luneth actuallt there are quite a lot of metalheads around who agree with you on that that there is a genre called Epic Metal. imo it's nnot a separate genre YET but it is evolving in that direction though.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.10.2010 - 00:05
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I don't think the word "Epic" is accurate, since I can consider almost everything as an Epic album, Power, Death, Thrash, Black, etc. And I don't think it has something to do with music about brave warriors, bloody wars and demonic forces stopped by the power of light or whatever...
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
20.10.2010 - 00:29
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Daggon on 20.10.2010 at 00:05

I don't think the word "Epic" is accurate, since I can consider almost everything as an Epic album, Power, Death, Thrash, Black, etc. And I don't think it has something to do with music about brave warriors, bloody wars and demonic forces stopped by the power of light or whatever...

Haha, see that's what I was associating it with :p The good stuff (H)
20.10.2010 - 01:48
Culty

The good stuff? I don't really think that theres a genre where all the "good stuff" would go. Also by you saying good stuff, that makes it subjective.
----
Gfnttlr
20.10.2010 - 02:46
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Culty on 20.10.2010 at 01:48

The good stuff? I don't really think that theres a genre where all the "good stuff" would go. Also by you saying good stuff, that makes it subjective.

Lol, I knew I'd get at least one xD albeit slower than I expected.