Style: Post-rock, Atmospheric black metal
Release date: June 2010

01. Minusmensch
02. These Nights Were Ours
03. Pulse / Surreal
04. Neige De Mars
05. Coma
06. Neon

Lantlôs, another band blending shoegaze with black metal and since their debut album only Herbst has remained from the first line-up, guess who joined in as the vocalist for their second effort .Neon, yes, Neige! In a manner of speaking he seems to be patronizing the new-born central european scene with his pressence and imagine who made the cover artwork, I'm pretty sure it reminds you of something, yes, top score! Les Discrets' Fursy Teyssier is responsible for this beautiful piece of abstract and pleasing to the eye art.

Despite its gentle outbursting moments with Neigel's howling screams, .Neon is an album that doesn't unfold immediately its beauty, it's one of those albums I'd refer to as a kind of a grower, it requires a few spins until it starts utterly injecting everything it has to say. Of course I would never call it inaccessible, the truth lies somewhere inbetween, it's just that the atmosphere it evokes has "something" that you really need to get into, nothing more, nothing less and when you do there's no turning back. Acoustic guitars, harmonic melodies or kindly distorted continuous riffing overflow the album and whenever Neige's interpretation enters the stage he forms a more agonizing aura, whereas his clean chanting calms the beast inside. The drums & percussion play their part as well with their work enriching the soundscape, balancing in an appropriate way with the pulsating bass lines and the current atmosphere any moment.

When desolation met tranquility .Neon was born from the ashes of their conflict. Intense, but heart-felt, melancholic, but soothing also, inside four walls, but with a travelling aspect as well, this is Lantlôs and if this bittersweet contradiction the shoegaze/black metal blending is whispers something to your ears, then .Neon will be a pleasant and inspired companion. Lantlôs may close doors, but they open windows for you to escape and with every step you make you feel more and more enclosed in the labyrinth of euphoria they managed to create in their sound envelope within 39 minutes. "Coma".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 23.10.2010 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 186 users
24.10.2010 - 13:18
Kenos
Account deleted
"These Nights Were Ours" is one of my songs of the year.
24.10.2010 - 13:27
Rating: 7
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I prefer the debut quite a bit more. Can't hear much Black Metal on this one
----
loves 小巫
24.10.2010 - 14:43
Merchant of Doom

Funnily enough, Alcest copycats... I wonder why!
24.10.2010 - 19:46
Odium

It's a good album, I love Alcest but it's getting boring this new...."subgenre"?
24.10.2010 - 20:55
Sunioj

GREAT ALBUM!!
24.10.2010 - 21:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Odium on 24.10.2010 at 19:46

It's a good album, I love Alcest but it's getting boring this new...."subgenre"?

Agreed - I think it's all unfolding too quickly. Neige's lack of patience will be the undoing of this movement.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.10.2010 - 04:42
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
30.10.2010 - 19:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Dangerboner on 29.10.2010 at 04:42

picture

what?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.10.2010 - 20:50
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Album cover looks like Gumby
15.01.2011 - 20:49
Ragana
Rawrcat
Lol @ the picture.

"Coma" made me search for the lyrics and I gotta say, this might be the first time I'm so into the lyrics before I actually "get" the music. I know there's something in it.

Very enjoyable review, by the way.

Hits total: 6877 | This month: 10