Reviewer:

1 user:
Band: Foudre Noire
Album: The Dark Gods
Style: Black metal
Release date: October 2008

01. The Dark Gods Pt. I
02. The Dark Gods Pt. II

Foudre Noire's The Dark Gods is a concept album. About me. Yes. Me. Yours truly. Lucas. The author of this reviewer. The Destroyer of worlds. The Emperor of the Universe. The Nerd behind his Laptop. Wait, what? Ok, so maybe this album is not about me, but that does not mean that I do not deserve a concept album written about me. Musicians without lyrical inspiration, send me a pm.

Ok, The Dark Gods. Two tracks, one being "The Dark Gods pt. I", the other being "The Dark Gods pt. II". A total length of just under forty minutes. That sounds like Black metal to me!

And Black metal it is. Raw, thin and lo-fi Black metal, a sped up Xasthur with less passive hate and more active 'imma-slice-yo-throat' hate. While they don't sound as 'out there' and spacey as I initially expected, they are certainly worth your time. "Act I" features plenty of drum and riffwork, coupled with raging fast sections too. It's a shame the vocalwork is a little standard, consisting of both Abbath-esque raps and higher pitched shrieks. There's a strong Norwegian Black metal undercurrent running through this album, think in the direction of 1349, Taake etc. with synths. But rawer and more focused on the lo-fi ideals. Plus, Foudre Noire knows how to take a break every once in a while, judging by the relaxing, spacey interludes they throw in.

In conclusion, The Dark Gods is an interesting album, delivering well-executed Black metal with a slightly cosmic vibe, without putting lyrical focus on me. Ah well, can't have everything, I suppose.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written on 24.10.2010 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 37 users
25.10.2010 - 02:37
Rating: 7
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Rofl review XD
other than that, music sounds interesting
----
loves 小巫
25.10.2010 - 12:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Musically it doesn't sound like it's my thing really but space themed black metal is always a turn on... hmmm decisions: to illegally download or not.
30.10.2010 - 15:51
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Was listening to it just now. The spacey moments were the highlights for me. They really could do with a bit more of those
----
loves 小巫
30.10.2010 - 16:04
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I still haven't received any PM's from people that want to write a concept album about me....

----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
02.11.2010 - 16:46
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Lucas on 30.10.2010 at 16:04

I still haven't received any PM's from people that want to write a concept album about me....

guess musicians are feeling quite inspired these days. Or you just have to make your life more exciting next time
----
loves 小巫

Hits total: 3996 | This month: 1