4 users:
Band: Ensorcelor
Album: Urarctica Begins
Style: Blackened doom metal, Sludge metal
Release date: April 2010

01. A Crown Of Smoke On The Brow Of The Earth
02. Sleep Forever In The Brine
03. This Even Doom

Welcome to the darkest of the dark, to the dirtiest of the dirty, to the gloomiest of the gloomy. Do not let the serene beginning of the first song, "A Crown Of Smoke On The Brow Of The Earth", fool you. Once Ensorcelor gets really started, you will be subject to one of the most extreme musical experiences in the last years. Fans of blackened doom/sludge/drone rejoice - this EP is a real treat for you. Three songs, 36 minutes of filthy fumes from hell.

The most prominent thing that will immediately capture your attention and knock you out with its extremity are the vocals. The vocalist of Ensorcelor combines tortured screams of Varg Vikernes from early Burzum releases, haunted shrieks of Wormphlegm and agonizing wails of Funeralium, all that distorted in a similar way to Anaal Nathrakh. The amount of dirt, blood, hate and suffering that the vocals convey can be hard to bear even for the most diehard fans of the extreme. In "Sleep Forever In The Brine" there is another layer of vocals, this time it's some kind of haunted, fairly clean wail, that can be heard parallel to the extreme vocal line. The effect of this peculiar juxtaposition is quite impressive. In the last song (sadly, there are only three), "This Even Doom" (arguably the best track), you will hear some more eerie vocals. This time they resemble an old man, who's dying of a painful disease and asks someone to kill him to end his suffering.

The music to go with this outstanding, although extremely hard to digest vocal performance is sludgy doom with a production that reeks of old black metal with all its advantages (or drawbacks, it's up to you). There are some uptempo parts here and there, sparsely distributed, but cunningly hidden melodic riffs, some semi-acoustic interludes and introductions to keep things interesting, punctuated by downright apocalyptic, extremely noisy ending of the EP. But that's basically it. You don't listen to such music to be amazed by musicianship, clear production, shredding solos or varied arrangements. Such music is supposed to flagellate your ears, taint your thoughts and harrow your very soul. It takes you to the deepest oubliette of your withdrawn phobias, fears and manias. It douses the lights in your room and overcasts the sky outside.

30 plus minutes of simple music doesn't really yield to a scientific dissertation, nor does it need to. Don't dissect Urarctica Begins. Let it grab you and draw you deep below, where no light enters, and the only colour is black. You've been there before, you know how the rapture of torture feels.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 27.10.2010 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 93 users
27.10.2010 - 19:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Lol, doesn't sound like the kind of thing I'd expect you to like; more my kind of thing

Will explore this asap.
27.10.2010 - 20:08
Rating: 8
Daniell
_爱情_
Actually, I enjoy many more genres than one might think
27.10.2010 - 20:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 27.10.2010 at 20:08

Actually, I enjoy many more genres than one might think

Yeah but you don't like Anaal Nathrakh, which is a bit weird
27.10.2010 - 20:17
Rating: 8
Daniell
_爱情_
I think Anaal Nathrakh isn't too interesting, but it doesn't mean I'll shun such music.
And I mean old AN, around "Codex Necro", because their latest releases are simply souped up melodeath - not too extreme and abrasive. I've tried every kind of extreme music, and I really enjoy some of it - Ensorcelor is an example.
27.10.2010 - 20:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 27.10.2010 at 20:17

I think Anaal Nathrakh isn't too interesting, but it doesn't mean I'll shun such music.
And I mean old AN, around "Codex Necro", because their latest releases are simply souped up melodeath - not too extreme and abrasive. I've tried every kind of extreme music, and I really enjoy some of it - Ensorcelor is an example.

I'm not really all that into the avant-grind stuff of their later albums. Codex Necro is a great example of controlled brutality though. I have a thing for anything industrial black though so that plays a big part of it.
28.10.2010 - 13:44
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Sounds like something i should check me thinks?!
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
28.10.2010 - 13:58
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Likewise.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.10.2010 - 17:52
Meller
Sleazy Rider
Adding myself to this choir.
----
"Haloo? ...Mulla on sellainen tunne, ett' mä olen surmannut miehen."
02.11.2010 - 21:56
worshiptheskull

You can get this EP from Media Tree Recordings (mediatreerecordings.blogspot.com) on CDR or cassette! The cassettes are black, and printed with black ink; the next few cassette orders ship with a huge back patch, and all cassettes come with a fold-out poster of the original artwork! cd and cassette are both $7 (CND)
02.11.2010 - 21:59
worshiptheskull

Also, Media Tree has cassettes of Æsahættr, the black metal project of Ensorcelor's guitarist. Definitely check it out.
03.11.2010 - 15:58
Rating: 6
Kuroboshi

Yummy, this sounds like my cup of tea! Thanks for the review!
03.11.2010 - 16:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I have to be honest, I wasn't massively blown away by this. There's definitely a few moments of interest but a lot of it seemed kinda amateurish - the riffs were the kind of thing you'd come up with the first time you'd sit down to make a doom band without bothering to explore a bit more but I suppose but my main gripe were the vocals which seemed perpetually disembodied from the music itself (perhaps due to their relatively unchanging nature) and I felt very aware of them throughout the EP like they'd just been chucked on top after the recording of the music. For a debut EP though it's a pretty competant start. It felt more melancholic than oppressively grim and evil to me though.

At the moment though I'm having trouble not comparing everything sludgey and evil to Bloody Panda...
09.02.2012 - 18:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by worshiptheskull on 02.11.2010 at 21:56

You can get this EP from Media Tree Recordings (mediatreerecordings.blogspot.com) on CDR or cassette! The cassettes are black, and printed with black ink; the next few cassette orders ship with a huge back patch, and all cassettes come with a fold-out poster of the original artwork! cd and cassette are both $7 (CND)

why the hell didn't I check this out before? damn, bought the cassette on a whim from Psychedoomelic. And am loving every single second of it, over and over again.
Just put in an order for the Crucifuge LP as well.
Awesome stuff.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 3928 | This month: 4