09. When Master Satan Returns
10. Interlude 5
11. Together We Rape The Son Of God
12. Interlude 6
13. Baphomet
14. Interlude 7
15. War March Against Christianity
16. Edasi, Saatana Lapsed [bonus]

Dark Domination is a black metal band from Latvia, a country that has thus far not really been responsible for a lot of quality metal. As much as I would like to say something good about a band like this, I am afraid I simply cannot. Rebellion 666 is a pretty mediocre and occasionally quite annoying release.

First of all, let me address by far the most annoying feature of Rebellion 666, which is that the track listing on the back of the box in no way represents that which is on the actual CD! OK - there are indeed 9 songs on this album; however, the band saw it fit to include 7 lengthy spoken-word interludes between them without mentioning it anywhere. This is extremely annoying since if we're listening to the album on a conventional CD player it is virtually impossible to quickly find out which song we are actually hearing (for your convenience, I submitted the correct track listing here). On top of all this, the spoken-word interludes consist of someone mumbling something in what sounds like French over a layer of computer-game sounding noise and are basically a terrible ear-sore.

But what about the music? After we get past the track listing issue, we discover that the black metal that Dark Domination offers here is pretty competent but definitely not surprising in any way. Essentially this is your run-of-the-mill traditional black metal without anything particularly distinctive about it to set it apart from other bands populating this already oversaturated genre. Don't get me wrong, this band does know a thing or two about writing catchy black metal but we've heard it all before. On the up-side, the production is punchy and selective, so that we can hear the manic laughter on the last track very clearly. If you are a hardcore black metal fan I suppose this release will still appeal to you but for the rest of us, I would recommend looking for something more original.

Written on 29.08.2006 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 44 users
29.08.2006 - 13:51
UnholyMenace
Psycho
The best song from this album is the last one - Edasi, Saatana Lapsed - it is the same song as Rebellion 666, but in Estonian.
14.02.2008 - 23:29
W-Lash
Metal Master
I agree. This album was boring as hell (couldn't listen till the end).
And who the fuck needs all these intro songs (as far as i remember such thing was done in another album too).
08.06.2008 - 08:19
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Wow, they managed to make black metal more cheesy and cliche than ever
08.06.2010 - 21:31
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Hahahaha now i know where 1349 got the ideas for "Tunnels" and other fillers.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.

Hits total: 5879 | This month: 4