04. Mistress From The Sucking Pit
05. Behind The Jagged Mountains
06. The Cult Of Venus Aversa [demo]
07. The Nun With The Astral Habit [demo]
08. Deceiving Eyes [demo]

Disc III [dvd]
01. Forgive Me Father (I Have Sinned) Promo Video
02. Forgive Me Father (I Have Sinned) Video Making Of

There are musical formulas that never become exhausted. Bands that choose such formulas as basis for their works enjoy long-lasting, successful careers. No fan requires any change in their musical direction, everyone is universally happy if such a band releases another album that fits into the band's template. Among classic bands that fit this description are AC/DC, Motörhead, Slayer, to name just a few that immediately spring to mind.

The same can be said about Cradle Of Filth, who never really deviated from the path set on Vempire. Even if they slightly changed their sound (first time on Midian, then again on Thornography), the change was quite subtle, far away from radical. Maybe the songs were more user-friendly, but it was more due to much clearer production than to songwriting. Be that as it may, Thornography was the low point of Cradle Of Filth's career. Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder saw a return to a harsher, faster side of the band, and Darkly, Darkly, Venus Aversa is Godspeed's uglier twin.

The most notable things on the album are: almost complete lack of symphonic intros and interludes, almost complete lack of slow songs and, most importantly, almost complete lack of brilliant, memorable songs. It's your regular Cradle Of Filth with all its trademark characteristics, only faster than usual (kudos to Martin Skaroupka, who is a great drummer). The hurricane starts with "The Cult of Venus Aversa", and ends with "Beyond the Eleventh Hour". It slows down only in "The Persecution Song" and "Forgive Me Father (I Have Sinned)". Too bad that nine lightning-fast songs basically blur into one. And none of them stands on its own as something exceptional. In vain was my search for a song as good as, say, "Queen of Winter, Throned", "Beneath the Howling Stars" or "Tearing the Veil from Grace". Gone are majestic slow passages, surprising interludes and mood changes. Darkly, Darkly, Venus Aversa is a monolith with very few chinks in it. It's hard to bite it and it's hard to remember its shape. When "Beyond the Eleventh Hour" ends and silence ensues, I find it hard to remember a really good track off the album. They're all not bad, they're solid, crunching and tasty, they boast devastatingly juicy production, but they fail to amaze me. Releasing fifteen tracks every second year takes its toll. The act of creating music has turned into an assembly line production. The resulting merchandise for the masses is meticulously prepared: the artwork, pictures, lyrics, packaging, production - everything is top notch as usual. Too bad that the crux of it all, the music, is the least attractive element.

Here we come to the point where the introduction to this review starts making sense. The formula that Cradle Of Filth follows isn't as evergreen and universal as Slayer's or AC/DC's. It needs to be refreshed, watered with new ideas and shifts to make it blossom and branch in new directions. Or, ultimately, it must be changed radically, almost completely reworked and redone to retain at least some portion of its original appeal or to create new means of appeal. How many times can we enjoy a short keyboard intro followed by a blasting entry of guitars and drums and the inevitable "aaaargh"? I think we've enjoyed these things enough times. It's time for something new, Dani.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 03.11.2010 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Guest review by
Windrider
Rating:
Cradle Of Filth are a band that have performed a slow but legendary downfall. And they managed to rise like a phoenix from its ash, but faster than any phoenix could. Darkly, Darkly, Venus Aversa is now the second count in their rise and still has something to add in terms of speed, darkness and pure blasting metal. This record is once more a concept album and deals with the demoness Lilith, which happened to be the first wife of Adam in the book of Genesis. But we are here to talk about music, so let's get into it!

Read more ››
published 12.07.2011 | Comments (12)

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 78   Visited by: 520 users
04.11.2010 - 19:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
It's the basic Last.fm crux argument: your opinion is null and void because your taste in music is poor.
04.11.2010 - 19:48
Rating: 6
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Vonpire on 04.11.2010 at 19:41

Hehehehe, First of all, I just think having only extreme (and some very mediocre) metal bands as fav bands is a little like your first fav band. Besides that, I don't know what you expected! My fav bands are from many different segments of metal, I can't say the same about yours. Apparently you have some "issues" with my fav bands, as you stated. Sadly you just haven't said any argument for that.

My hears can take many things but in fact there are bands on your favs i can't stand at all, but i'm not gonna troll about that. Your tastes are your tastes, no prob with that. Now the tone you used to talk about my tastes appeared as you were superior in any way, which after looking at your list made me laugh. I listen to metal for 20 years, so I don't think you can teach me anything about it.

But let's be objective - I like many of you fav bands - Burzum, Carcass, Carpathian Forest, Enslaved, Megadeth, Satyricon, Slayer ...
But there's also some others I complete hate, specially Napalm Death !

Now if you think the only good metal is extreme it's pointless discussing anything more with you.

Said that, cheers. Stay Extreme

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 04.11.2010 at 19:26

Oh man. Why does every review concerning a popular band start filling up with pointless statements from people who are insecure about their music tastes? :/

You're right, let's get back on topic.

I like extreme metal. A whole damn lot. Now, I don't really see how your fave bands are from different segments of metal. Mostly well-known melodic or quasi-extreme bands, progressive, but mostly beginner's stuff (Agalloch, Dimmu Borgir, Draconian, Be'lakor, Epica, Cradle Of Filth, The Gathering, Draconian, etc.)

Now why do you hate Napalm Death?

Pointless... well, it seems that you have made a hypocrite of yourself as none of the things you've said are "arguments", really.

Let's get back on topic, yes (how convenient to escape "victorious", but we always have the good ol' PM system, so let's continue there).
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
04.11.2010 - 20:13
Rating: 10
Vonpire

First of all, Sorry to users, this will be my last post on this topic.

Now

What a LOL

Begginer's stuff, that's really a joke! By my side discussion closed. I'm not gonna discuss that with someone who stated "Draconian, Epica and The Gathering" as Begginer's stuff.
In front of Metal I like music, and there are many bands on your favs that i don't even consider "music" Only noise for angst depressed teenagers. But, my taste is my taste, yours is yours, You stay with yours I stay with mine no problem.

Now what i don't get is you talking about my favs like yours were superior in any way (which clearly can't be, since tastes can't be compared at all). It appears you think you have some kind of "superior Metal Knowledge" on this forum. Guess what! You don't!!

I'm not going to say to power metal fans they have bad taste, I just say I don't like the genre. See the difference? I don't think I am superior. Clearly you do think!

At least we could discuss that without insults, which is one good thing, isn't it?

Written by Guest on 04.11.2010 at 19:43

It's the basic Last.fm crux argument: your opinion is null and void because your taste in music is poor.

HuuuuuHuuuurggghhhrrggg Arrrgghh I am more extreme than you, I am the taster guy! I am extreme!!!! Hail satan!!!! Every Known metal band is lame and pure shit! I am "the" Metal Connoiseur, Who doesn't like extreme has bad taste. WHAT A (BAD) JOKE!

How i despise this comment...

But anyway, who cares?
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
04.11.2010 - 20:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Vonpire on 04.11.2010 at 17:43

HuuuuuHuuuurggghhhrrggg Arrrgghh I am more extreme than you, I am the taster guy! I am extreme!!!! Hail satan!!!! Every Known metal band is lame and pure shit! I am "the" Metal Connoiseur, Who doesn't like extreme has bad taste. WHAT A (BAD) JOKE!

But anyway, who cares?

Not only do you despise it but you clearly completely and totally misunderstood it too. Big time. Congratulations.

And thanks for the PM as well.
04.11.2010 - 20:41
vezzy
Stallmanite
Clearly it isn't worth arguing with this moron.

Yes dude, Epica is beginner's stuff. One of the most popular symphonic metal bands nowadays. Draconian's very well known too (this is typically a last resort, but look at band popularity rates here).

Noise is music too, believe it or not. And if you think that's noise, wait 'till you actually hear noise.

May I add that your hypocrisy knows no bounds.
----
04.11.2010 - 21:29
Vonpire

I am sorry to all users- I know i said i wasn't going to post anymore but this crap comment from this pathetic guy, couldn't be left unanswered

Well well well , you started to insult. Clearly you have no argument and i hit some nail on the right spot. Typical!,

I'm not going to call you a moron, cause you're clearly worse than that.

So I can only classify you as a stupid person with the mania of the superiority, which is a bit flattering, given the case here...

You talk about hypocrisy? Based on what? Me not liking (most) Power Metal? More ridiculous than that is difficult.

You know why Epica and Draconian are well known??? Cause they are so fucking better than almost all the bands you praise as being "the bands". You know why known (?) bands are popular? NO it isn't by what you think of, it's because they usually make better music. As simple as that.

You'll never teach me anything about metal, that i can guarantee you.

I agree with you on one point, it isn't worth arguing with guys like you. You started to "comment" my tastes, but when i commented yours you clearly couldn't stand or refute what i said, so you entered insult and egomania. Typical kid's stuff.

I'll say again

You think you have some kind of "superior Metal Knowledge" on this forum (yup i already read many of your comments and unbeliaveably i almost agreed with no one). Guess what! You don't!!

And no! I don't think I am superior than anyone, in case you'll come with the hypocrisy again...

Wanna arguments?

I give you some! I have on my fav bands : Symphonic, Doom, Gothic, Black, Death, Melodeath, Atmospheric Gothic, Experimental Rock, Symphonic Black, Extreme Symphonic Gothic, Gothic Doom, Industrial, Progressive, Trash, Folk, Avantgarde, Alternative....

You have - Death, Black, Melodeath, Trash, Brutal Death !!! - And I am the Beginner!! WHAT A JOKE you are!

This pretty sintetizes all I have said and corroborate It.

Over and Out!
----
04.11.2010 - 21:40
Vonpire

Written by Guest on 04.11.2010 at 20:31

Written by Vonpire on 04.11.2010 at 17:43

But anyway, who cares?

Not only do you despise it but you clearly completely and totally misunderstood it too. Big time. Congratulations.

And thanks for the PM as well.

Yes i misunderstood your comment and i apologized. But, you can post the pm i sent you, just for people not thinking i was insultuous or something... Said that, your sentence wasn't easy to understand also, i guess you'll agree in that.
----
04.11.2010 - 21:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah your pm wasn't offensive or anything.
05.11.2010 - 01:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I love this beginner's taste in metal argument when in fact the same could be said about the one spouting it. His tastes in xtreem metal can be deemed just as much a beginner's taste. Alll known bands nothing truly underground. Where the hell is Swallowed, Stench, Krypts, Burial Invocation, Claws, Demigod etc etc.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.11.2010 - 04:26
Rating: 7
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
This is Cradle's best album since Damnation imo. And I disagree, I think most, if not all of the songs are memorable and great. Maybe its just me...
05.11.2010 - 06:29
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.11.2010 at 01:04

I love this beginner's taste in metal argument when in fact the same could be said about the one spouting it. His tastes in xtreem metal can be deemed just as much a beginner's taste. Alll known bands nothing truly underground. Where the hell is Swallowed, Stench, Krypts, Burial Invocation, Claws, Demigod etc etc.

That is a good point.

Wait, Krypts? Yeah, I've heard their demo... but a new, one-demo band?... I've came across Swallowed's music a few times, but I don't know them well enough, I've heard Demigod's Slumber of Sullen Eyes, don't know about Stench or Claws and I've seen the name Burial Invocation a few times, but haven't heard the music.

I'll get back to Vonpire's reply later via PM.
----
05.11.2010 - 07:50
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by RavenKing on 03.11.2010 at 23:28

"The act of creating music has turned into an assembly line production. The resulting merchandise for the masses is meticulously prepared: the artwork, pictures, lyrics, packaging, production - everything is top notch as usual. Too bad that the crux of it all, the music, is the least attractive element."

This can be said about metal as a whole.
That's how I see the metal scene nowadays and why I dislike it so much. Metal so often sucks and reason is it gets more and more corporate each day. That's why so many albums have no soul and bore you to death. Because that's exactly what they are: merchandise for the masses made on an assembly line.

this statement is pretty hilarious.

metal. corporate. they tried that. didn't work. if it did, MTV would still have a headbangers ball and Entombed, Carcass, et all would still be on major labels.

metal is not corporate. well, aside from a very specific sect of bands designed to move merch at hot topic.

metal is CLICHE.

metal is Bands A, B, and C creating a movement... and bands D through Z copying them.

metal is a ton of cementheaded fans that don't like it if bands A, B, and C tweak their style much.

metal is also a ton of cementheaded fans that don't like if it bands A, B, and C don't tweak their style. Slightly, at least.

in short, metal is a ton of cementheads who want bands A, B, and C to pretty much make the same shit over and over again... and buy records by bands that sound like the "old shit" bands A, B, and C did. (i.e. Bands D through Z).

as long as metalheads glom on to generic shit (see the Generic European Power Metal Poll - Good or Bad? in which 182 of 201 respondents cop to liking generic shit ... and while this is specific to Euro Power Metal, you can bet your ass the same would hold true for BM, DM, or any other {x} metal genre), labels will continue to sign bands that make generic shit. they aren't corporate... if they were, they wouldn't be picking up 99% of the bands on MS. they just need to make enough to support the business to put out the good shit. and people will buy it.

you can call it corporate to sound "kvlt" or whatever, but that ain't the case. it's that most metalheads call themselves 'openminded' but the majority prove to be anything but.

as for COF and the review, if Dani P likes Dani F and Co so much and finds this album where he does, it doesn't get my hopes up. They just aren't my thing - largely stemming from the vocals of past endeavors where Dani F sounds like a coyote that gets it's cajones caught in a bear trap. Will give it a perfunctory listen or three, but not likely to move me too much.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.11.2010 - 09:05
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Daniell on 03.11.2010 at 20:51

Everything above 7 means that it's quite good. So I also like this album, but just not as much as I'd like to. I'm a MASSIVE CoF fan, been following them since 1996. I engaged in countless debates to defend their music. I absolutely adore thier lyrics - Dani has incredible talent for puns and all other linguistical gimmicks, plus his command of English is simply godlike (slightly cheesy nature of the lyrics is what I'm familiar with as well). I would very much love to rank every CoF album with a 10, but I always state my honest opinions, so Aversa gets what it gets.

I haven't heard this album yet and I also haven't followed entirely in what seemed to turn into a silly discussion above... but I have to say I completely disagree with with first two paragraphs of your review. Cradle have not been following the same musical direction since V Empire, this is simply not true. Their music has fundamentally changed. Yes it is more accessible, but also very different... mostly due to the fact that Dani keeps kicking out members, usually his best members... The thing about Cradle in the early years is they always tried to do better than every album before and their style came naturally, once those musicians went their musical direction slowly changed... the reason you cannot hear how Nymphetamine is different music to Dusk, is because of the small changes in every album between them.

I too have have always defended Cradle, see my review for Dusk, but I'm not living under the illusion that Dani is basically not just a self righteous fucker who gets rid of his best players and because they have a different sense of musical direction than him and this is to the detriment of their music. BTW, am I the only person on the Planet who vaguely liked Thornography.
05.11.2010 - 10:18
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Stuart on 05.11.2010 at 09:05

Their music has fundamentally changed. Yes it is more accessible, but also very different...

We will obviously never agree on this point, but let me stress again - CoF's music hasn't changed much since Vempire.
05.11.2010 - 14:53
Vonpire

Everything above 7 means that it's quite good. So I also like this album, but just not as much as I'd like to. I'm a MASSIVE CoF fan, been following them since 1996. I engaged in countless debates to defend their music. I absolutely adore thier lyrics - Dani has incredible talent for puns and all other linguistical gimmicks, plus his command of English is simply godlike (slightly cheesy nature of the lyrics is what I'm familiar with as well). I would very much love to rank every CoF album with a 10, but I always state my honest opinions, so Aversa gets what it gets.

I haven't heard this album yet and I also haven't followed entirely in what seemed to turn into a silly discussion above... but I have to say I completely disagree with with first two paragraphs of your review. Cradle have not been following the same musical direction since V Empire, this is simply not true. Their music has fundamentally changed. Yes it is more accessible, but also very different... mostly due to the fact that Dani keeps kicking out members, usually his best members... The thing about Cradle in the early years is they always tried to do better than every album before and their style came naturally, once those musicians went their musical direction slowly changed... the reason you cannot hear how Nymphetamine is different music to Dusk, is because of the small changes in every album between them.

I too have have always defended Cradle, see my review for Dusk, but I'm not living under the illusion that Dani is basically not just a self righteous fucker who gets rid of his best players and because they have a different sense of musical direction than him and this is to the detriment of their music. BTW, am I the only person on the Planet who vaguely liked Thornography.

Well If thornography was made only with the next list, it would be a good album. Their worst anyway, but better than those horrible songs that pollute that album.

01. Under Pregnant Skies She Comes Alive Like Miss Leviathan
02. Dirge Inferno
03. Tonight In Flames
04. I Am The Thorn
05. Cemetery And Sundown
06. Lovesick For Mina
07. Rise Of The Pentagram
08. Under Huntress Moon
09. Murder In The Thirst
10. The Snake-Eyed And The Venomous
11. Halloween 3 : Season Of The Bitch [Halloween 2 Remix version]
12. Courting Baphomet
13. Devil To The Metal

They could have made this
----
05.11.2010 - 14:57
Vonpire

Written by vezzy on 05.11.2010 at 06:29

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.11.2010 at 01:04

That is a good point.

Wait, Krypts? Yeah, I've heard their demo... but a new, one-demo band?... I've came across Swallowed's music a few times, but I don't know them well enough, I've heard Demigod's Slumber of Sullen Eyes, don't know about Stench or Claws and I've seen the name Burial Invocation a few times, but haven't heard the music.

I'll get back to Vonpire's reply later via PM.

No you won't, novice I'm done with you.
----
05.11.2010 - 16:24
Slayer666

BTW, am I the only person on the Planet who vaguely liked Thornography.

Probably. I shat bricks out of disgust when I heard it.

I've only heard 3 tracks from it so far, and I'm pleased for now. Although, daniel is probably right, and I shouldn't set my hopes too high for it.
05.11.2010 - 22:05
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Daniell on 05.11.2010 at 10:18

Their music has fundamentally changed. Yes it is more accessible, but also very different...

We will obviously never agree on this point, but let me stress again - CoF's music hasn't changed much since Vempire.

You can stress it as much as you like, doesn't make it fact... There are many more who disagree with you than agree with you, even CoF disagree with you, so what does you stressing it mean to anyone else except you?
05.11.2010 - 22:07
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Slayer666 on 05.11.2010 at 16:24

Could you pinpoint any particular reason music causes you such anguish?
05.11.2010 - 22:42
Rating: 8
dark_mar

I have never been COF fun but the 2 new songs i have heard are fantastic. Great guitars and vocals aranz. ....i think i will buy this CD and hope not only this one of COF.
06.11.2010 - 00:17
Vonpire

Buy it! You won't regret it i guarantee. And be sure to check out bonus tracks. Are as good (or better) as the album ones.
----
06.11.2010 - 15:39
s_t_s

Well I like Thornography but it's not a CoF album to me... Hard to explain

I'm still listening to Darkly... thru Deezer and the more I listen to it, the more I like it tho I cannot compare it to Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder which is so fucking awesome !
07.11.2010 - 14:05
AlwinSitton

I am a great fan of COF, but I need to listen a few times before I can my give opinion about there album. I need to say it is again a fantastic album!
08.11.2010 - 19:25
Vonpire

The more I listen to It the more I like. It's as good as Godspeed (or even better) imo! There is no song I can't say it's weak. The trick is to let it enter your head, then it will be difficult not to love it!

In The Persecution song minute 3:53, that dani scream!!! OMG What a HELL scream was that! I don't know if it was on purpose but it's fucking amazing (or he's totally voice fucked up, which also may be a little true x) )
----
08.11.2010 - 23:43
dark_mar

Hmm...for me it is very good album. I am really not COF fun but i have bought it ...and like it more and more. Great album to listen in bed:) I think most of people can not deel with another good COF album. Is it right?
09.11.2010 - 23:34
Slayer666

Written by Stuart on 05.11.2010 at 22:07

Yeah. Major lack of balls, as well as symphonic elements, verse-chorus kind of structure on some songs, Dani's vocals are pathetic, "Temptation", and ffs, Vile Vallo as a guest vocalist on "Byronic Man".....
11.11.2010 - 23:15
Rating: 7
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Slayer666 on 09.11.2010 at 23:34

Written by Stuart on 05.11.2010 at 22:07

Yeah. Major lack of balls, as well as symphonic elements, verse-chorus kind of structure on some songs, Dani's vocals are pathetic, "Temptation", and ffs, Vile Vallo as a guest vocalist on "Byronic Man".....

Right Slayer, but "Under Huntress Moon", "I Am the Thorn" and "Dirge Inferno" are kinda good, although I rate Shitography 5 myself... Some albums are like fake singles, with one or two good songs and 10 fillers. Thornography is one of those albums. "Byronic Man" WTF.

And I don't agree at all with daniell either when he says they haven't changed since Vempire. Come on, it's like saying Dimmu Borgir haven't changed their style since Enthrone Darkess Triumphant. CoFstray very far away from their guiding line, but they do go in a different direction with every new opus.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
14.11.2010 - 18:50
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
The album is not as strong as Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder, but it's still very tight and elaborate. Sometimes it sounds like a combination between their last 2 albums, which sounds good to me, since I actually like Thornography (I can just accept it for what it is). And, seriously, Lilith Immaculate is one of their best songs... ever. It's amazing. AMAZING.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
18.11.2010 - 03:47
Shaytaan666

Actually this album has 2 sides for me; 1. The positive one which is its speed & harshness...
2. The negative side is its lack of any symphonic parts...
However; I still enjoy this album...
25.11.2010 - 16:15
Vonpire

After several listening, i came to conclusion that this album is a brilliant metal masterpiece, so I can't agree at all with the rating of the review, it's too low for such an amazing album. Also I don't agree that this album has no memorable songs. Songs like Lilith immaculate and, specially, The Spawn of Love and War are absolutely brilliant and memorable.
----

Hits total: 16526 | This month: 20