Band: Mars On Earth
Album: Mars On Earth
Style: Symphonic metal
Release date: 2001

01. Mars On Earth
02. Planets
03. Die Stadt Ist Im Krieg
04. Bleeding Underwater

At first, I - foolishly - thought Mars On Earth was a pretty weird band name. It is, however, everything but a weird band name. In fact, it makes perfect sense. You see, aliens from Mars visited the Earth (see?) to record this mini-CD, their view of our world, their prediction of our future, only to leave again. Where to? Back to Mars, of course!

So, Mars On Earth, a three-headed Martian monster. Their vision of our future contains of (hold you breath, fasten your seatbelt and be sure to wear a protective yellow helmet): it's Black metal. Ish. With Industrial touches. Sort of. There's also plenty of electronic tom-foolery, such as blips and bleeps, military march-styled drum beats, passages that sound like they're lifted strange from an old Nintendo 64 adventure-type game, etc. Oh yeah, there are also raw, staccato, almost spoken-word-esque rasps and some sort of strange clean chanting.

That's really the best I can do, as far as sound descriptions go. That's partially because my English vacubo, vocuba, vacuobe... dammit... vocabulary (!) is limited to, say, fifty-ish words, but also because there's really no way to describe Mars On Earth*. And in my book (why do people use this expression? is this 'book' your diary? why the fuck would anyone older than thirteen keep a diary? are you a pussy?) that's usually pretty good.

If you like'd some of my previous, wacky recommendations, or if you like extreme & wacky metal in general, definitely give this a shot. While not overly genius, it's definitely a very fun, catchy little bugger.

I'd like to end this review with a word of appreciation for these kind Martians, who were friendly enough to take interest in our blue and green planet and leaving us with a really cool demo. Now, if only us Earthly metalheads would also be blessed with some music from Venus On Earth...

Nope, we're all going to die as virgins.

* It's actually pretty easy to describe them, as long as you can't be bothered with details. The term 'Industrial Black metal' covers the music pretty well. But I like to keep a mysterious aura around my favourite bands. It's pathetic, I know.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written on 04.11.2010 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 73 users
04.11.2010 - 18:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Nice one. You should have marketed it as power metal/melodic somethingmetal though as then people would listen to it. As it is you probably just scared to death 87.3% of metal storm...
04.11.2010 - 18:43
Mikyz

The band name is pretty weird though Mars ON Earth, if it was Martians on Earth it would mean something but...whatever. Concerning the music its weird... fortunately it's a good kind of weird not a bad one, very addictive. I enjoyed reading review XD
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
04.11.2010 - 18:46
Rating: 8
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Mikyz on 04.11.2010 at 18:43

The band name is pretty weird though Mars ON Earth, if it was Martians on Earth it would mean something but...whatever. Concerning the music its weird... fortunately it's a good kind of weird not a bad one, very addictive. I enjoyed reading review XD

I assume they meant Mars On Earth in the sense that a delegation of Mars visited Earth, in the same way that... uhh.... idunno, they're German, who the hell knows what they were thinking.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.11.2010 - 19:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
The name keeps making think of Life on Mars, some popular TV series in the UK.
04.11.2010 - 19:15
KwonVerge
Odysseus
I've been searching this thingie eversince it was mentioned somewhere ( ), thank goth the net is vast and i'll find my way out soon enough, at least i hope so
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
03.07.2013 - 00:31
JargosSingozarin

A few of you may be more familiar with Mars On Earth by one of the eccentric Austrian avant-garde metal band's other names: Korova, Korovakill, and/or Chryst - I don't think they've released more than one or two albums under any given name.

I think the relationship of Mars on Earth as a kind of side-project to the usual Korova/Korovakill/Christ sound is very easy to hear in "Bleeding Underwater", where the song sounds like it could have easily appeared on an album released under one of the group's other names... once you finally recognize Christof Niederwieser's unique singing voice and sound in this Mars on Earth song, and compared it to (for example) "Europa in Flammen", it's kind of hard not to accept this as a lost Korova album.

The band's other albums are equally hard to describe - sort of a post-Gothic Voivod (complete with odd song structures and weird chords, coupled with eccentric lyrics that feed back into their own inward-facing pocket dimension) - channeled through Bathory, Laibach, and Disharmonic Orchestra, with a dash of the Butthole Surfers and Monster Magnet, by way of an alien civilization... they're a bit like that in undefinable ways, yet that's not a fair description: they are not quite like anything else I've ever heard, and don't lend themselves easily to the usual metal band marketing pigeon-holes.

I think it's a shame more extreme metal fans haven't heard of Korova in any of its incarnations - it's a very unique sound, and they always feel like they are somehow ahead of or outside their own time and space. (In fact, the unreleased Korova Echowelt album was apparently too extreme and strange for any record label to take a chance on, and now only exists in the wild in the form of fragments floating around as bonus tracks, a couple remixes from a limited-edition promotional CD, and a couple remixes on later albums.)
03.07.2013 - 16:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
The only thing I know is that thanks to your comment I discovered this great EP... Shame they disbanded. Some really good ideas here.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 3725 | This month: 11