Metal Storm logo
Are there any other black metal bands that employ clean vocals?

05.11.2010 - 04:15
Axe Argonian

Recently, I've been getting into Primordial and Enslaved. Both are black metal bands, but both have something in common. They both employ clean vocals at various moments in songs (Actually, this applies to Enslaved to a greater extent; Primordial almost entirely abandoned black metal singing in Empire Falls.) I really love how a band like Enslaved balances out the darkness of black metal vocals with melodic, clean vocals. This balance not only adds variation to their music, but it also break past the traditional black metal sound. So, my question to everyone is this: Are there any other bands out there that utilize both black metal singing and clean singing?

Thanks, I would appreciate suggestions.
----
"Man does at all times only what he wills, and yet he does this necessarily. But this is because he already is what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer
05.11.2010 - 17:00
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Something more extreme i think: Anaal Nathrakh. you may find them a bit difficult to get into but check this song out as an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rymgm3jcuWc
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
05.11.2010 - 17:46
Daniell
_爱情_
Alcest - although you can't really call it black metal in the strictest sense, the music has a BM ring to it. The vocals, however, are from another genre for sure! The band is highly praised by some, and ridiculed by others, but it's worth a try for sure.
05.11.2010 - 19:31
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Borknagar - Universal
Arcturus - Sham Mirrors
Shade Empire - Sinthetic (the song Human Sculpture is one of my favourite)

that's all I can think of for now, but hope you enjoy them
----
loves 小巫
05.11.2010 - 20:01
Mikyz

I'm thinking of <Code>, Austere, Ved Buens Ende and Solefald right now. But there are mant bands that utilize both, they're usually more into the Avant-garde Spectrum of BM, so check there.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
06.11.2010 - 00:11
ß
Problem?
I'm drawing plenty of blanks but these ones come to mind atm Fen,Urfaust,Amesoeurs and Ulvers debut.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
06.11.2010 - 19:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ag Fox on 05.11.2010 at 19:31

Borknagar - Universal
Arcturus - Sham Mirrors

But they are not pure BM, go in MS look styles,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.11.2010 - 19:38
FOOCK Nam

Borknagar - Universal
Arcturus - Sham Mirrors

Borknagar is fittest among the three for the topic. I like that Human Sculpture song too, are there any song using clean vocal in the Sinthetic
?

Written by Daniell on 05.11.2010 at 17:46

Alcest - although you can't really call it black metal in the strictest sense, the music has a BM ring to it. The vocals, however, are from another genre for sure! The band is highly praised by some, and ridiculed by others, but it's worth a try for sure.

Which album do you refer to ?
06.11.2010 - 20:07
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Bad English on 06.11.2010 at 19:35

Borknagar - Universal
Arcturus - Sham Mirrors

But they are not pure BM, go in MS look styles,

I know they aren't but the other bands that others suggested or the ones mentioned in the opening post aren't either.
Primordial is Folk Black
Enslaved: Viking / Progressive Black
Anaal Nathrakh: Grind Black
Alcest: Metalgaze

My favourite Alcest release is actually the Le Secrets EP which doesn't seem to get much love here. I think I like it more because of the less subtle BM influence than Souvenirs D'Un Autre Monde.

Written by FOOCK Nam on 06.11.2010 at 19:38

Borknagar - Universal
Arcturus - Sham Mirrors

Borknagar is fittest among the three for the topic. I like that Human Sculpture song too, are there any song using clean vocal in the Sinthetic
?
Unfortunately, no. But the rest of the album is very cool anyway.
----
loves 小巫
06.11.2010 - 20:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I kn ow but putre black whit clena vox hmmm there can be parts like in Woods of Ypres for example ''meeting place and time'' but those mix/black like folk, doom, gotjhiv , black there is clean vox, but I cant remeber any band wright now
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.11.2010 - 00:34
Vombatus
Potorro
Emperor anyone ? Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk ?

But I think that you won't get a pure black metal using clean vocals, most that use clean will have lots of influences of other genres.
07.11.2010 - 19:06
FOOCK Nam

Written by Bad English on 06.11.2010 at 20:17

I kn ow but putre black whit clena vox hmmm there can be parts like in Woods of Ypres for example ''meeting place and time'' but those mix/black like folk, doom, gotjhiv , black there is clean vox, but I cant remeber any band wright now

Woods Of Ypres the "meeting place and time" meets but I find it is not quite extreme so far. Emperor is great but I have only "Anthem To Welkin At Dusk", great music but poor quality of recording, others of their stuff does not impress me.

Dimmu Borgir has clean vocal and nice music but it seems going to type of symphonic.

Too sad, there is too few of extreme black metal with clean vocal for the sake of original music.

T

T
08.11.2010 - 11:37
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Personally dont like clean vocals and I don't consider it black metal at all if there are infusions of clean vocals inbetween.

I have a feeling Gothic Metal may be more suitable to your tastes Axe Argonian. That genre generally has a lot of mixing between clear vocals and rasping vocals.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
08.11.2010 - 14:25
RavenKing

Written by Himann on 08.11.2010 at 11:37

Personally dont like clean vocals and I don't consider it black metal at all if there are infusions of clean vocals inbetween.

Personnally, I hate clean vocals in Black Metal. Some would say it brings variety but I think it only sounds out of place and destroys atmosphere.

And if clean vocals are used often, I can hardly consider it BM, though it depends on the music.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
13.11.2010 - 22:20
Axe Argonian

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to check out some of the bands listed here to a greater extent when I get a chance.
Written by Himann on 08.11.2010 at 11:37

I have a feeling Gothic Metal may be more suitable to your tastes Axe Argonian. That genre generally has a lot of mixing between clear vocals and rasping vocals.

I've never really listened to Gothic Metal, but I'll do so. Thanks.
----
"Man does at all times only what he wills, and yet he does this necessarily. But this is because he already is what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer
16.11.2010 - 05:53
SlaytanicGonzo

Check out Isengard's only album, Høstmørke. It's a side project of Fenriz (Darkthrone's drummer) in which he plays all the instruments and vocals. Although the last two tracks feature black metal vocals, in the first 5 Fenriz uses clean Viking-like singing. Pretty good album.
16.11.2010 - 11:22
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Only those two tracks are black metal in Høstmørke. The rest are actually Folk Metal.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
16.11.2010 - 18:58
SlaytanicGonzo

Written by Himann on 16.11.2010 at 11:22

Only those two tracks are black metal in Høstmørke. The rest are actually Folk Metal.

The riffs sound pretty Black Metal to me.There are some songs like Landet Og Havet which are more atmospheric, but many Black Metal albums have tracks like that.
17.11.2010 - 07:55
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by SlaytanicGonzo on 16.11.2010 at 18:58

Written by Himann on 16.11.2010 at 11:22

The riffs sound pretty Black Metal to me.There are some songs like Landet Og Havet which are more atmospheric, but many Black Metal albums have tracks like that.

Well, Fenriz himself says its Folk Metal and for me its definitely got far more Folk Metal influences than Black Metal. Sure, it has a bit of Black Metal influence as well here and there but mostly Folk IMO.
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
14.04.2011 - 03:23
[The Serpent]

Try these following Bands:
Dimmu Borgir- Look for the songs: Kings of the carnival creation (Studio Version), Progenies of the great apocalypse, and the sacreligous scorn.
Stormlord- Has a few clean vocals on the Mare Nostrum Album.
Celtic Frost- A dying god coming into human flesh, on the monotheist album (has black metal influences although it sound more like grunge than black).
Darzmat- Solfernus Path Album (There are a few track on this album with clean vocals).

Unfortunately there are not very many black metal bands that incorporate clean vocals. Though when you search for black metal bands look under the "Symphonic Black Metal Category". There will probably be more results.

Respectfully;
[The Serpent]

P.S. if you ever want to know some plain black metal bands just message me. Also if i find any other black metal bands with clean vocals i will let you know.
(Sorry for any spelling error's)
14.04.2011 - 05:21
Void_Eater
Account deleted
14.04.2011 - 10:01
Bigpaul

Todtgelichter........
14.04.2011 - 11:22
ANGEL REAPER

Heavenshore.....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
15.04.2011 - 17:48
Yasmine

I Dislike clean vocals for the sake of being different as they're usually not well done in the least imo.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
16.04.2011 - 00:59
ANGEL REAPER

----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
16.04.2011 - 01:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Jiri's got a nice little list of black metal albums that contain clean vocals.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.04.2011 - 23:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.04.2011 at 01:30

Hmmm, I should check out the first Gorgoroth stuff, somehow it seems like it won't be bad but I'm always lazy to check.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.04.2011 - 01:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.04.2011 at 23:29

Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.04.2011 at 01:30

Hmmm, I should check out the first Gorgoroth stuff, somehow it seems like it won't be bad but I'm always lazy to check.

Their first three full-lengths are awesome. I wouldn't recommend anything after that though.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.05.2011 - 16:55
Tetravirulence

Hmmm may be Shining
----
Metal News Community!! http://head-metal-bangers.blogspot.com

RIP Juhani Palomaki (1977-2010)
09.06.2011 - 14:49
Arsen

Check out Daeron for some prog black metal with epic clean vocal parts. It's the continuation of Sworn from Armenia