Style: Death doom metal
Release date: September 2010

01. Contours Of A Dream
02. Reminiscence
03. Everlasting
04. Unchained
05. Rain's Seduction [bonus]
06. Patterns Of Emptiness [bonus]

Portugal is the synonym of steady quality and rising quantity when it comes to doom metal, this time I'm in the wonderful position to announce the debut album of a newcomer in the scene after a split with Insaniae, the name of the band is Mourning Lenore and the title of their first attempt in the doom/death metal Golgotha is Loosely Bounded Infinities. In one hand the cover artwork is expressive and bleak, presenting a barren landscape slowly drowning in mist. On the other hand, the music ground upon which the band chooses to wander is quite fertile and they owe this to their inspiration that unfolds with a sorrowful grandeur.

Although kind of unoriginal and well, how original a doom/death metal band can be nowadays anyway, Mourning Lenore respect the sound of the scene and their influences and through their inspiration they present a pretty solid release, a strong combo of immense melancholy. You will find references to first era Paradise Lost, Brave Murder Day Katatonia, Saturnus, some passages with clean vocals that hold an Opeth aura etc. The overall song structure relies on the basic instrumentation and only a slight appearance of the keyboards is present, like on "Unchained".

The album consists of 4 brand new compositions plus "Rain's Seduction" and "Patterns Of Emptiness" from the split with Insaniae as bonus tracks, making them available to a wider audience. Mourning Lenore's melodic doom/death metal holds a dry beauty that tends to become warmer, like a withering flower under the judging stare of the sun. Heavy riffing and melodic leads, imposing drumming and apparent bass lines and hoarsing grunts alongside a few clean parts of expression and memorable yet rare keyboard waves complete the scenery the listener should expect.

Influenced but inspired, respectful and sincere, dynamic but emotional, this is what Mourning Lenore stand for and Loosely Bounded Infinities has to be one the finest debut albums this year, I'll keep an eye on those highly recommended newcomers with potential in the future for sure, as for now, only time shall tell.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written on 05.11.2010 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 142 users
06.11.2010 - 11:32
Rating: 8
*!*

I cant really judge right now cause i only listened to it once, but i think it deserves more than 8...
anyway well written review as always DerRozzengarten
16.03.2011 - 13:14
Rating: 8
BudDa

I love only 2 songs off this record that have stuck with me till now..
Contours of a Dream and Everlasting
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.

Hits total: 5951 | This month: 5