09. The Glass
10. Titty Twister

Deathcore
Recorded: Jackstudio, Belgium 2010
Label: Grizzly Inc
Total Running Time: 33:03

An open letter to DEATHCORE

Dear Deathcore,

I know we didn't always get along so well. We both have our own feelings and opinions. But I think that's normal. There were times where I called you all sorts of bad names. Which is in retrospect also normal seeing you released all sorts of shit albums. Anyway, the last couple of weeks I had to change my mind about you. First there was the new Ion Jizzonance album - truly one of your greatest works to date - and now you send El Comer Ocho my way to bitchslap some sense into me. And for that I want to thank you... brah!

I still remember that time you first introduced me to El Comer Ocho - a five-piece Belgian outfit that takes things the other way around. On first glance I already knew I couldn't just walk around the band's rugged attitude. Holy shitballs, did El Comer Ocho seem pissed-off-to-no-end that day... yet they managed to keep their cool, and immediately distanced themselves from the brain-dead Neanderthal metal acts like... oh I don't know, about every other band in your genre. The best thing about the sound is the thrashy hardcore vibe that spices it all up. Needless to say that with such an explosive cocktail people will get hurt.

From then on, the album was one surprise after the other. Yes, I know you told me so, but this band is indeed something else - you can wipe that smug look on your face now - and isn't sending metal years back in time - a welcome change of tactics there, brah. So instead of opting for the flash-in-a-pan mentality - one of your well-established formulas - this band decided to experiment with less obvious materials, such as the guest appearance of Belgian rap duo Nos Vices and creepy ambient interludes. And by several pace changes and a whole arsenal of vocals - though especially the fearsome roaring vocals stick out - the variety is guaranteed.

So yeah, just for this once, you are allowed to rip my head off and use my skull as a urinal - you earned it. Give me a call next time you decide to get all forward-thinking again. Peace be with ya, brah.

Big smooch,
Thryce

Written by Thryce | 06.11.2010

Comments

Comments: 20   Visited by: 131 users
06.11.2010 - 12:54
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
A-W-E-S-O-M-E
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
06.11.2010 - 13:13
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Nice review, brah!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
06.11.2010 - 20:35
Black_Handed
A village idiot
Now where did i read this? "So yeah, just for this once, you are allowed to rip my head off and use my skull as a urinal." I bet it was here on MS, like 2 years ago . to quote john cleese "CONFESS!" Thryce . anyway...are you really serious that there is a good deathcore album? (2 actually)?
----

Cryptic Bleak Smurf of Ur
06.11.2010 - 21:21
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Good review, bro. POUND IT.
06.11.2010 - 21:24
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Black_Handed on 06.11.2010 at 20:35

anyway...are you really serious that there is a good deathcore album? (2 actually)?

There is at least ONE good cd for EVERY genre of music, it's logical even in math levels.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.11.2010 - 21:26
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.11.2010 at 21:24

There is at least ONE good cd for EVERY genre of music, it's logical even in math levels.

So what's your favorite power metal album then? XD
06.11.2010 - 21:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 06.11.2010 at 21:26

It's a long long loooooong search indeed, but someday in the future I think I will find that album.

Out of my cd collection, the least bad would probably be Dawn Of Victory by Rhapsody.
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.11.2010 - 21:39
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.11.2010 at 21:35

Out of my cd collection, the least bad would probably be Dawn Of Victory by Rhapsody.

Son...
:')
I am proud.

Seriously though... Out of ALL the power metal bands, your most liked album is by the KINGS of all that is cheese? XD I digress though. Totally off topic. Bad habit.
06.11.2010 - 22:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 06.11.2010 at 21:39

Seriously though... Out of ALL the power metal bands, your most liked album is by the KINGS of all that is cheese? XD I digress though. Totally off topic. Bad habit.

I said out of my collection, I haven't bought a cd from the subgenre in years, but I'm aware that there are better bands.

Ok... I really liked this review! XD I will check it out and stop making spam!
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.11.2010 - 22:14
vezzy
Stallmanite
Best review ever.

Makes me want to post an objective one.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
07.11.2010 - 00:17
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by vezzy on 06.11.2010 at 22:14

Best review ever.

Objective reviews suck.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
07.11.2010 - 02:02
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.11.2010 at 21:35

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 06.11.2010 at 21:26

I approve this!

BTW, kinda strange review haha, but still manages to entertain a lot
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
07.11.2010 - 09:39
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Lucas on 07.11.2010 at 00:17

Best review ever.

Objective reviews suck.

Not really. "This is an album... with music in it."
----
07.11.2010 - 14:40
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite

Now where did i read this? "So yeah, just for this once, you are allowed to rip my head off and use my skull as a urinal." I bet it was here on MS, like 2 years ago . to quote john cleese "CONFESS!" Thryce . anyway...are you really serious that there is a good deathcore album? (2 actually)?

You're weird.
Written by vezzy on 07.11.2010 at 09:39

"This is an album... with music in it."

Wow, you pretty much described this album to a T. Impressive!
----
Your favorite band sucks.
08.11.2010 - 12:03
Black_Handed
A village idiot
Written by Thryce on 07.11.2010 at 14:40

You're weird.
Written by vezzy on 07.11.2010 at 09:39

"This is an album... with music in it."

Wow, you pretty much described this album to a T. Impressive!

thanks!
----

Cryptic Bleak Smurf of Ur
23.02.2011 - 03:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

Holy shit, I never knew one could write an objective review... maybe because they DON'T EXIST?
----
Rod, let me love you.
23.02.2011 - 15:54
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 23.02.2011 at 03:02

Holy shit, I never knew one could write an objective review... maybe because they DON'T EXIST?

Yes, they do.

"This is an album with music from the metal genre..."

and so on.
----
23.02.2011 - 16:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by vezzy on 23.02.2011 at 15:54

[Yes, they do.

and so on.

They are also known as the most boring piece of review ever written. That's why no one write that kind of stuff. Here's an objective review written by BitterCOld... This should be in the very first page of every review written here that contains complains about objectivity.

Quote:

It's always hilarious when someone who disagrees with a review goes after the "objectivity" of the reviewer. the whole point of a review is to provide a an opinion on an album they've listened to so that others who have not experienced it will get an understanding on what to expect and whether or not it might be something that interests them. this is best done by combining a degree of objectivity with a healthy dose of subjectivity.

let's face it, an objective review of anything would be not only boring, but worthless.

i'll try to give it a shot below. i have not listened to it, so i am inserting "X's" and "Y's" in for factual measurements that are currently unknown to me:

Kalmah - 12 Gauge. AN objective review.

"12 Gauge" is the sixth release from the Finnish act*. The band at the time of recording consisted of five member arrayed as follows: two guitarists (one who also does vocals), one bassist, a drummer, and a keyboardist. The album consists of nine songs played over (XX) amount of minutes. The Japanese version contains an extra track, a cover of "Cold Sweat" by Thin Lizzy.

The guitars were distorted during the recording process. This album also had YY guitar solos. The vocals were mostly performed in what is referred to as a growling style.

Songs did not maintain a constant speed and varied from tempos measuring from XX bpm at slowest to YY bpm at fastest.

This album was recorded at (location) and released on February 24, 2010 by Spinefarm records.

hope that review, stating fact and avoiding opinion, helps.

*you'll notice i must refer to them as "an act" rather than a specific genre or sub-genre, as it's subjective whether they are "extreme power" or "melodeath"... we wouldn't want to be subjective and classify them into one now, would we? Of course, the classification of metal is subjective, so calling them a metal band could be construed as the author forming an opinion.

it's the subjective/opinion part of the review that gives it any flavor.

peoples tastes are different, just because you like something doesn't mean others will. if you don't like someone else's review of something (whether positive or negative) you are better served to state your own counter-argument as to why you feel differently and what about said piece pleases/displeases you than you are attacking a reviewer... unless the reviewer is clearly out of whack and has an agenda. (i.e. someone admitted to reviewing the new christopher lee piece and scoring it absurdly high because others had scored it low... )
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.02.2011 - 09:56
vezzy
Stallmanite
I never use sarcasm tags.

So kindly blow it out your ass.
----
26.02.2011 - 10:43
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by vezzy on 23.02.2011 at 15:54

You already made that exact same "sarcastic" joke earlier. Nobody thought it was funny back then, what makes you think it's funny now?
----
Your favorite band sucks.

Hits total: 4588 | This month: 8