01. Second To Sun
02. Fictitious Glide
03. Fraudulent Cloth
04. Live And Live Again
05. Faux King Christ
06. Tortoise The Titan
07. When The Beast
08. Third Person

In the last few years, the metal community saw many dead bands rising from their ashes, playing some festivals, and eventually recording new albums. Even the technical/jazz death metal scene was swept in the movement, so after Cynic, then Pestilence, here we are finally with the new Atheist album.
Even if there wasn't supposed to be one at first.

Let's face it, this Jupiter is precisely what we could expect from a new Atheist album. Good news, for sure! Countless breaks, sick twists and turns, really convoluted songwriting (yes, let's stress it again, songwriting, not sterile wankering) and amazing musicianship, yes we have it all once again. Just like on the classic Unquestionable Presence, with less jazz elements than before however (and certainly no 'over-the-top' experimentations like those found on Elements)?
On the other hand, it is a bit sad that they exactly did what we expected of them - in itself, no mere feat given the complexity of this stuff. But, that's the problem, they didn't really evolve at all. Somehow like Pestilence, they went back exactly to what they considered to be the best in their previous works (while Cynic, like it or not, continued their evolution and released something once again really different). There's no real shame in that, but it's a bit disappointing nonetheless, coming from a band once praised for its originality?

Some little things did change, however. The production is one, with an ultra-heavy and compact sound, courtesy of Jason Suecof. Maybe it's just me, but it's a bit too suffocating for its own good. The main difference lies with Kelly Shaefer's vocals. They are quite harsher than before, more raspy and raw; he somehow does even sound a bit like Cronos (of Venom infamy) at times, the end of "Second to Sun" being the best example.

I may seem critical, but this Jupiter is for sure a very, very, good piece of music. And the artwork is quite beautiful, always a nice bonus.
So, Atheist didn't drag their legacy in the mud, neither did they release an average album (unlike Pestilence), they just played it safe. If this term can be applied to something as complex as Atheist's music, of course.
Now, stop reading, and check it. Period.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 7

Written on 08.11.2010 by Once your regular Hellfest reporter, now retired. I (strangely enough) listen to a lot of metal. And enjoy good beers, comics, novels and role-playing games.

Guest review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
Let's face it. It isn't exactly the easiest task for a band with a legendary discography that hasn't been built upon in a considerably long period of time to suddenly rise from the ashes with a new album, and Atheist no doubt knew that they were facing this challenge with Jupiter. In such a case, a band really only has two choices. They can either continue with their classic sound that won them such love and admiration from their fanbase, or they can go for a newer sound that, while different, is still a refreshingly original and interesting evolution (see Bathory and Cynic). Unfortunately, however, on Jupiter, Atheist's new sound, coming 17 years after Elements, sounds much more like a regression than an evolution.

Read more ››
published 11.11.2012 | Comments (2)

Comments

Comments: 41   Visited by: 424 users
08.11.2010 - 01:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Admitedly this is exactly my favourite area of metal but I found this to be pretty unspectacular. No doubt it's solid but I can't see many Atheist fans being overly excited by this. I may be wrong of course.
08.11.2010 - 02:00
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Written by Guest on 08.11.2010 at 01:56

Admitedly this is exactly my favourite area of metal but I found this to be pretty unspectacular. No doubt it's solid but I can't see many Atheist fans being overly excited by this. I may be wrong of course.

Well... I found it both awesomely awesome (songwriting and amazing technical level) and, yes, unspectacular (as they, well, played it 'safe'). But on the whole the awesome side prevailed for me, quite an Atheist fan
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
08.11.2010 - 02:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Darkside Momo on 08.11.2010 at 02:00

Well... I found it both awesomely awesome (songwriting and amazing technical level) and, yes, unspectacular (as they, well, played it 'safe'). But on the whole the awesome side prevailed for me, quite an Atheist fan

This could very well be the whole Cynic thing all over again (though I don't actually depise this record like I do THAT one...) in that most like it, some hate it.

I guess I just expected more of them considering the pedigree. Just didn't sound all that inspired =/
08.11.2010 - 02:09
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Written by Guest on 08.11.2010 at 02:05

Written by Darkside Momo on 08.11.2010 at 02:00

This could very well be the whole Cynic thing all over again (though I don't actually depise this record like I do THAT one...) in that most like it, some hate it.

I guess I just expected more of them considering the pedigree. Just didn't sound all that inspired =/

I don't totally agree. It's inspired, but not an evolution of their sound.

And we'd better not talk about Cynic here, as I like Traced In Air and its New-Age metal. Now this one was really original, no one had ever done that before!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
08.11.2010 - 02:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Darkside Momo on 08.11.2010 at 02:09

I don't totally agree. It's inspired, but not an evolution of their sound.

And we'd better not talk about Cynic here, as I like Traced In Air and its New-Age metal. Now this one was really original, no one had ever done that before!

I agree, lets never, ever talk about that Cynic album ever again
08.11.2010 - 03:29
Asunder
Good album , but i'd expect more after so long.
08.11.2010 - 04:56
Yojimbo
Let's not talk badly about sterile wankering.;)
08.11.2010 - 06:33
vezzy
Stallmanite
Pretty much agree with this review. I've only listened fully to it twice though... and there seem to be quite a bit of mediocre moments.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
08.11.2010 - 09:19
Rating: 8
Mikyz
I really liked it, it's no Unquestionable Presence but it still shows their talent with the diverse songwriting and the complex structures. + I find it pretty catchy. Well the review says it all really. Good job.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
08.11.2010 - 09:24
Daniell
_爱情_
elite

Fans will be excited by this because it's Atheist's first new material since forever. I love Atheist and I was eager to hear this. I agree it's nothing groundbreaking, but still a very satisfying listen.
08.11.2010 - 13:42
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I am just about to listen to this album, and will give my opinion soon. Though the thing that sticks out about this review, is the classic "bands' cant do right for doing wrong" scenario. Cynic were torn to shreds in some quarters for evolving their sound more, and doing something different. Whereas Athiest will probably take just as much flak for not evolving with their new album. Just shows, no matter what a band does, someone will criticise them for it.
08.11.2010 - 14:35
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 08.11.2010 at 13:42

I am just about to listen to this album, and will give my opinion soon. Though the thing that sticks out about this review, is the classic "bands' cant do right for doing wrong" scenario. Cynic were torn to shreds in some quarters for evolving their sound more, and doing something different. Whereas Athiest will probably take just as much flak for not evolving with their new album. Just shows, no matter what a band does, someone will criticise them for it.

THIS. Now Atheist's new album didn't seem shallow like the new Dream Theatre or the newest Metallica album, but delivered the goods, in my opinion. I came in expecting a kick-ass technical death album and it completely fulfilled my expectations. So what if they didn't progress? So long as it didn't become shallow like other bands' attempts (DT, Metallica), I was content with it.
And get the fuck out of here with any Traced in Air hate. It doesn't have anything to do with the album at present.
08.11.2010 - 15:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 08.11.2010 at 13:42

True, but there's a giant playground for bands to explore, it's one thing rehashing a style that's as old as my grandma, and it's another to subject people to whatever the hell Cynic were trying to do. Torture us I assume
08.11.2010 - 15:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 08.11.2010 at 14:35

And get the fuck out of here with any Traced in Air hate. It doesn't have anything to do with the album at present.

Both are early 90's death metal bands that experimented with new ideas to then disappear after a limited number of albums and then re-emerge 15+ years later with a comeback. Think that more than warrants a passing mention. Has far more relevance than mentioning Metallica or DT.

Cheer up, it's only an opinion
08.11.2010 - 15:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 08.11.2010 at 15:03
True, but there's a giant playground for bands to explore, it's one thing rehashing a style that's as old as my grandma, and it's another to subject people to whatever the hell Cynic were trying to do. Torture us I assume

Oi, you speak for yourself! I really liked Traced In Air. lol They could have played it safe, and done another "Focus". (Which no doubt would have made some people complain about lack of originality...) But they were brave, and made something unique instead. As long as people have different tastes and opinions, no matter what a band does, some people will have something negative to say about it. You cant please everyone, thats impossible. So a band should just focus ( ) only on what they want to do for themselves. For the record, I prefer "Focus", but I admire what they did with "Traced In Air" and enjoyed it quite a bit. xD

As for "Jupiter" I'll have to listen some more before giving a final verdict. "Fraudulent Cloth" and "Faux-King Christ" were very immediate songs though. Great stuff!
08.11.2010 - 15:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 08.11.2010 at 15:30

Oi, you speak for yourself! I really liked Traced In Air. lol They could have played it safe, and done another "Focus". (Which no doubt would have made some people complain about lack of originality...) But they were brave, and made something unique instead. As long as people have different tastes and opinions, no matter what a band does, some people will have something negative to say about it. You cant please everyone, thats impossible. So a band should just focus ( ) only on what they want to do for themselves. For the record, I prefer "Focus", but I admire what they did with "Traced In Air" and enjoyed it quite a bit. xD

As for "Jupiter" I'll have to listen some more before giving a final verdict. "Fraudulent Cloth" and "Faux-King Christ" were very immediate songs though. Great stuff!

Very true, I may moan about certian records but any record that splits opinion obviously has good points about it. Isn't that what metal's about at the end of the day? Repelling popular opinion? Or maybe not, I dunno.
08.11.2010 - 15:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 08.11.2010 at 15:36
Very true, I may moan about certian records but any record that splits opinion obviously has good points about it. Isn't that what metal's about at the end of the day? Repelling popular opinion? Or maybe not, I dunno.

Yeah... the thing is, if an album has taken a semblance of talent to create, I can appreciate that fact, even if the music itself isn't to my tastes. "Traced In Air" is a very obtuse, and weird sounding album. So it doesn't surprise me that many don't like it. Take Mastodon, for sure, an ultra talented band, but most of their stuff doesn't do anything for me. Outside of a handful of songs which I do like. I think talent and musicianship can be appreciated even if the style of music isnt to your own personal tastes. Or maybe thats just me...
08.11.2010 - 15:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 08.11.2010 at 15:47

Written by Guest on 08.11.2010 at 15:36

Yeah... the thing is, if an album has taken a semblance of talent to create, I can appreciate that fact, even if the music itself isn't to my tastes. "Traced In Air" is a very obtuse, and weird sounding album. So it doesn't surprise me that many don't like it. Take Mastodon, for sure, an ultra talented band, but most of their stuff doesn't do anything for me. Outside of a handful of songs which I do like. I think talent and musicianship can be appreciated even if the style of music isnt to your own personal tastes. Or maybe thats just me...

Appreciated definitely, but liked? Not always. Not for me anyway. I'm funny with death metal as it all ends up sounding the same to my ears. Jupiter, to me, sounds like one of those albums that are a dime a dozen, even if it is well played and has a few good moments. Cynic was just too far in the jazz direction for me also. It lacked the "metal" constituent and the result just sounded kinda floppy and wet...

As for Mastodon I really like their intros to their songs but not so much the rest of it
08.11.2010 - 18:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 08.11.2010 at 15:52
Appreciated definitely, but liked? Not always. Not for me anyway. I'm funny with death metal as it all ends up sounding the same to my ears. Jupiter, to me, sounds like one of those albums that are a dime a dozen, even if it is well played and has a few good moments. Cynic was just too far in the jazz direction for me also. It lacked the "metal" constituent and the result just sounded kinda floppy and wet...

As for Mastodon I really like their intros to their songs but not so much the rest of it

Yep, that's what I mean. I think it is possible to appreciate things like talent and musicianship, even if you don't like the actual music itself. Cynic are an aqquired taste for sure! Even "Focus", which isn't as "out there" as "Traced In Air" would be too weird for a lot of people. I definitely didn't love that album the first time I heard it. It took a while for me to warm to it's charms. xD

Mastodon are a band that I can kinda see what all the fuss is about, they just don't do it for me. :\
08.11.2010 - 21:24
Winterthrone
Can't wait to listen to that album!
08.11.2010 - 23:51
Rating: 10
Mr. Burns
I think it;s pretty damn good, actually much better than I expected.
For some reason I thought it was going to be weak - boy was I wrong!
Tight, technical and fresh with great production... Thanks Atheist!

(and I for one really liked ('Traced in Air')
09.11.2010 - 11:55
ylside
staff
It did live up to my expectations aswell to be honest, I was surprised it wasnt boring!
09.11.2010 - 15:11
Vigoorian
Nice album and nice cover art...amazing. Seems like no time pass for atheist guys...
10.11.2010 - 01:03
Winterthrone
Shit!!!!!!!!! I'm blown away! This album is amazingly well produced and that does justice to the level of musicianship of these crazy guys... It's like if they never stopped! I love it!
11.11.2010 - 12:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

Admitedly this is exactly my favourite area of metal but I found this to be pretty unspectacular. No doubt it's solid.

I am with you on this one. On a technical level it is really good. But it is missing someone which all three previous albums had... namely memorable moments. And the production doesn't help it either it sounds too clinical but not in a good way it's cluttered and smeared the total sound.

I would rate it lower than the newest Pestilence personally. So, probably a 7.
But thank God it is not the atrocity Cynic's Taced In Air was.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.11.2010 - 14:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'm glad we're in agreement, just like usual really
15.11.2010 - 07:48
Sworn
It's a good album, not outstanding but good.
16.11.2010 - 21:05
Vigoorian
Another piece of time album of atheist....the production, terrible
17.11.2010 - 09:20
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Vigoorian on 16.11.2010 at 21:05

Another piece of time album of atheist....the production, terrible

What? This sounds nothing like Piece Of Time.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
17.11.2010 - 11:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 17.11.2010 at 09:20
What? This sounds nothing like Piece Of Time.

It's rare we agree, but this time we do, "Jupiter" is nothing like "Piece Of Time". lol

As for this album being worse than the new Pestilence, no way! lol Okay, "Jupiter" isnt the best thing Athiest have done, but it wasnt a huge backwards step like "Resurrection Macabre" was for Pestilence. It is of course, just my opinion, but I felt very let down with the new Pestilence, whereas I think the new Atheist is just fine.

Hits total: 11563 | This month: 21