Metal Storm logo
You really like the band, so you buy their...

Original post

Posted by matos, 30.08.2006 - 22:49
You know the situation: you find a great new band, listen to few songs, you get more and slowly they become one of your favourite bands. Then you decide that they are great enough to be honored/supported by your wallet, so what do you buy (first) ?

Well, if you wonder why i have decided to ask you the question above, it's simple - i'm just curious
I shold probably start with myself, i'm into T-shirts, many reasons for that: -you tell the world:"this band rocks and i listen to them!" -it's the most useful merchandise of all -...

So what about you ?

Poll

You adore the band so you honer them by buying:

Their (latest) album
Their T-shirt (or other clothes)
All posible merchandise
nothing
Flag/banner

Total votes: 278
06.04.2008 - 03:13
IronBlackZepp

I usually will get most of their albums. I have all of Led Zepp's albums, including live. But its rare of me to like a band that much. If I really like a band Ill usualy get a few albums, only if I love the band Ill get most of em.
06.04.2008 - 03:38
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Well, I recently had that choice to make with Behemoth. I went for the album. The logo's cool though, I would still like a t-shirt. I decided that since my Burning Witch and Om CD, [LP for Om] poster and t-shirt packages are coming any time now, I can lay off buying t-shirts. Also I still have a phobia of being lumped in with some of the cheaply-printed band-shirt sporting poser mallrats that are starting to permeate the mall here in Wollongong due to a temporary increase in live quality at the local venue. For anyone who's Australian and wondering where I'm talking about, it's Oxford's Tavern. Best kept secret in Wollongong, IMO. Mortal Sin played there recently. Bands such as Rukus [raw Aussie punk] and Blackend have also enjoyed some successful gigs there.
----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
06.04.2008 - 03:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Depends on certain things. I like supporting local bands so I usually buy the tshirts and albums. For my top favorite bands I do the same. I generally refrain from buying tour t-shirts unless its a band I've been waiting to see for years (which hasn't happened yet). Ive got 5 big concerts coming up and theres only 2 tshirts I plan on buying, High On Fire and Iron Maiden. Call me elitist (which most of you know Im not), but it bothers me when I wear a shirt that every 3rd person in my city owns, which is why I rarely wear my Iron Maiden Aces High tshirt.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.04.2008 - 03:52
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Written by Doc G. on 06.04.2008 at 03:43

Depends on certain things. I like supporting local bands so I usually buy the tshirts and albums. For my top favorite bands I do the same. I generally refrain from buying tour t-shirts unless its a band I've been waiting to see for years (which hasn't happened yet). Ive got 5 big concerts coming up and theres only 2 tshirts I plan on buying, High On Fire and Iron Maiden. Call me elitist (which most of you know Im not), but it bothers me when I wear a shirt that every 3rd person in my city owns, which is why I rarely wear my Iron Maiden Aces High tshirt.

Yeah mate I know exactly what you mean. Over here there's been a recent surge in classic metal and rock t-shirts, which I think you've had in Canada too - it seems to be a western fashion thing. An example of what I mean is this kid at Oxford's who struck up a conversation about punk with an older punk veteran. This guy was a drinking buddy of mine who was telling me the story. This guy thought it was cool that the kid was enthusiastic about the modern punk scene, since he was rather disillusioned by it. He brought up some older classic bands, and the kid had never heard of them. Why is this crazy?

The kid was wearing a Ramones t-shirt.
----

~ Nox Lux
06.04.2008 - 04:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Nox Lux on 06.04.2008 at 03:52

Written by Doc G. on 06.04.2008 at 03:43

Yeah mate I know exactly what you mean. Over here there's been a recent surge in classic metal and rock t-shirts, which I think you've had in Canada too - it seems to be a western fashion thing. An example of what I mean is this kid at Oxford's who struck up a conversation about punk with an older punk veteran. This guy was a drinking buddy of mine who was telling me the story. This guy thought it was cool that the kid was enthusiastic about the modern punk scene, since he was rather disillusioned by it. He brought up some older classic bands, and the kid had never heard of them. Why is this crazy?

The kid was wearing a Ramones t-shirt.

Yeah, certain bands are becoming more of logos than actual bands, it happened to the misfits, it happened to the ramones, now I see these same people wearing the "Motorhead-England" t-shirt, Im personally offended by this because they are my favorite band. One person I actually talked to about this (wearing that tshirt) actually thought "England" was the name of a Motorhead album. Hopefully this fad will just blow over and I'll be one of the last few true fans wearing a 'Head shirt. Oh yeah, just to prove my point, look at this photo ....Yes, that is Hillary Duff, the teenie bopper pop princess.
----
- George Carlin
06.04.2008 - 04:38
Nox Lux
codebreaker
she's taking her queue from Robbie Williams. It's a horrible craze isn't it, because they're not even pretending to know anything about them. One album would satisfy me, they don't need the whole discography. I would definitely love it if Hillary Duff rocked up to metalstorm and submitted a review. I think it's actually exponentially cooler to these guys the less you know about the bands.
Anyway, I was a teeny-bopper Korn listener once, everyone has their stupid moments - and stupid fashions to boot.
I actually had a green Korn shirt with a print of 40oz bottles on the back. One of the labels on the bottles says Korn. Reeeaally cheesy shirt.

You're right about Iron Maiden though. Because of Eddie, it does seem that the problem is much bigger when it comes to Iron Maiden shirts.
----

~ Nox Lux
08.04.2008 - 21:26
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
the cooler t-shirt contest - i'm in the same boat to an extent. i want to avoid the same crap everyone else has. my current metal shirt collection is now up to four, Enslaved, High on Fire (both picked up in the last six month), godflesh (selfless tour, '94), cathedral l/s... i just want a classic Bathory one (goathead on front, claw on back) and godflesh "streetcleaner"... bathory is forever out of stock, godflesh seems nigh impossible to find.

still would rather spend my coin on music than other merch, though.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.04.2008 - 19:51
MorbidGod
Account deleted
ii would never waste my money buyin such crap....i mean it's all available on the interent legal or ill:noidea:
19.04.2008 - 10:26
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.04.2008 at 19:51

ii would never waste my money buyin such crap....i mean it's all available on the interent legal or ill:noidea:

i'll buy all merchandise. and its not crap its LOVE
22.04.2008 - 12:28
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
I think their DVD and boxet are two important thin that u can supported them
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
22.04.2008 - 12:58
Berfones

Probably their T-shirt and maybe their first albums, all other things like keychains, flags, lighters and stuff are not useful, only beer bottle opener of Amon Amarth is useful in the "nothing related to the band" category, I think that a band that is selling things that are not related to their music, or not funny is just trying to rip you off, what is the statement in having band's shoe-lases? I don't see the point in that apart for getting rich from fanatic fan's endusiasm...
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
23.04.2008 - 10:13
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
When I find a new band, I usually go to Wikipedia or something like that, to find out what album has been praised as the bands best. Then I buy it, and if I like it, I do the whole merchandise and discografi thing. I especially like flags, I put them all over the place. I got a lot of wall in my apartment, and therefore I got a lot of flags too ^^
----
THRASH!!!
26.04.2008 - 02:52
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I like a band, so I just bought a ticket to their show, which is on the other side of canada ( a 4 hour flight), a plane ticket, and booked myself into a hostel. Motorhead in August here I come!
----
- George Carlin
30.04.2008 - 04:07
Houssem Xul
Account deleted
I like a band so I honer them by buying all possible mechandise if I can why not
03.05.2008 - 23:29
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Written by Guest on 19.04.2008 at 10:26

i'll buy all merchandise. and its not crap its LOVE

or sex maybe

signed
24.09.2008 - 13:32
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
All posible merchandise, as i said before. and ive bought Death Magnetic's Coffin Box. which have T-shirt, dvd, cd, ep's, guitar picks, flag ....

this is not Wasting money. tallica didnt give us an album for 5 years. then 100 GBP/5=25 for a year.
24.09.2008 - 13:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Wow, so you actually download T-shirts, flags, and guitar picks? Now that is amazing?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.09.2008 - 20:10
-Soulreaper-

With bands that I absolutely adore and I just can't get enough of then I will pretty much purchase whatever I can get my hands on. Especially vinyl's and t-shirts. I have to show my love some way and what better way than a huge goat head or something on the shirt with the band logo? But when the band starts releasing shoes and belts and ties and whatever other stuff you can print logos on then it gets kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Although when I saw Amon Amarth once I bought the Lanyard, mainly because it had a bottle opener on it and it could hold my keys. I am also a patch and sticker feign, can't tell you how much of each I have from collecting them over the years.
24.09.2008 - 20:53
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
ooo. Hard question for me to answer, its not so straightforward. If I REALLY like a band I'll generally try and get all their albums, t-shirts, posters, and other various crap. Then bands to slightly lesser degree I'll get maybe a few albums and maybe a t-shirt. Then to any bands I like casually I'll get maybe a few albums. The when it comes my favorite band I'm a complete whore, buying as much shit as they put out, hell I'd buy Motorhead toothpaste if they made it. I'm just glad my favorite band isn't Iron Maiden....that band puts out so much crap with their logo on it.
----
- George Carlin
24.09.2008 - 22:15
Knightrider
The Sorcerer
I would buy a CD or a original T-Shirt, mostly the things that are useful and shows that you really like and support the band.
25.09.2008 - 00:50
Oracle
Orcinus
If i really like a band ill buy all of their albums and buy T-shirts. But sometimes i just dont worry about that..
25.09.2008 - 02:47
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
t shirt and an album will do me just fine. though i think children of bodom's hate crew pants are a bit much.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
26.09.2008 - 02:07
thesabbathfan

I go for the shirts as I'm a cheapass pirate
----
06.05.2009 - 20:58
BF

T-Shirt. Me and a friend have a deal that for our birthdays we give each other a band shirt. You always get what you want and it forces you to keep up with what the other guy is into so you can get him one he wants.
06.05.2009 - 21:29
Ragana
Rawrcat
"Adore" and "like" is not the same, pfft.
I surely voted for the album. Who gives a shit about t-shirts if all the good stuff is three sizes bigger than MY size? Though there is something I would like to get sooner or later, but I guess I'll have to do it by myself. And there's no fun in collecting all merchandise of one band, although, then you have to really adore it (that's why I said there's a difference between those two words).
06.05.2009 - 21:41
TheOwl

If I really like the band I would try to buy all possible albums, eps, vinyls etc!
06.05.2009 - 22:41
TheBigRossowski

I have to go for the latest album as I already have way too many shirts. I've tried to sell some, but in the end, they either didn't get bought or I just said...forget it!

Have a bunch of posters from Magazines, but I can't hang them any where cause the house is decorated by the wife already. I have a good Opeth arrangement going on above my side of our bed though. That way if I don't get laid, I can jerk it looking at Opeth... yeah well, I still jerk off manually, lol.

Not quite the patches and buttons type any more... that shit is kinda ridiculous. I have a few, but only important shit. Black Sabbath, Baphomet (not the band) and SOTM...occasional acid flashback.

However, thanks to Marcel and Lucas (via reviews or recommendations) I feel the need to buy a Warning shirt!!! They broke up, unfortunately, but the legacy they left behind with WfaD will always remain. That album is truly a gem as Lucas wrote.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
06.05.2009 - 22:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by TheBigRossowski on 06.05.2009 at 22:41

However, thanks to Marcel and Lucas (via reviews or recommendations) I feel the need to buy a Warning shirt!!! They broke up, unfortunately, but the legacy they left behind with WfaD will always remain. That album is truly a gem as Lucas wrote.

I don't have a Warning shirt either cause when they played Rotterdam last year the largest shirts they had were too small for me (L is too small for my beer belly, sniff)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.05.2009 - 22:49
TheBigRossowski

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.05.2009 at 22:44

I don't have a Warning shirt either cause when they played Rotterdam last year the largest shirts they had were too small for me (L is too small for my beer belly, sniff)

Wow, you found this relatively fast. Large is perfect for me, I guess! Though I gotta wear a Medium sometimes to show off El Duderino's guns, lol.

I wrote the e-mail listed on the fan myspace, we'll see how that shit turns out. I'd hate to resort to the unofficial way... though my A Forest of Stars shirt came out quite well. And I actually like The Strength to Dream, just not as much... his vocals weren't AS good, but still good enough.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
06.05.2009 - 22:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by TheBigRossowski on 06.05.2009 at 22:49

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.05.2009 at 22:44

Wow, you found this relatively fast. Large is perfect for me, I guess! Though I gotta wear a Medium sometimes to show off El Duderino's guns, lol.

I wrote the e-mail listed on the fan myspace, we'll see how that shit turns out. I'd hate to resort to the unofficial way... though my A Forest of Stars shirt came out quite well. And I actually like The Strength to Dream, just not as much... his vocals weren't AS good, but still good enough.

Maybe you could try mailing Rich Walker at The Miskatonic Foundation about Warning shirts metalculte@hotmail.com
The Miskatonic Foundation orignally released the Warning albums.
Or maybe Cyclone Empire has some since they re-released the Warning albums last year: http://www.cyclone-empire.com
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996