Metal Storm logo
VH1's Heavy: The Story of Metal

Original post

Posted by tulkas, 31.08.2006 - 05:55
So, VH1 just presented this special about the story of metal. For those of you who may not have watched it, it talked about, as the name says it, about the development of metal throughout the years starting off with Black Sabbath.

Anyway, going straight to the point, I wanted to hear your opinions about this show. Did you like it or not and why?, and anything you may want to comment about it, or how would you rate it over 10.
17.06.2007 - 05:40
graywolf87
Account deleted
I like the black metal part and why they burn down churches, that part was excellent also the viking heritage on bands like enslaved for example...I guess that's on the DVD? the documentary is longer and has special features if you get the DVD. I give it a 8/10
23.02.2008 - 01:33
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
ahhh i like this! i downloaded it and watched it all the way through.
it wasn't as good as i expected but yeah, the black metal bit was good with gorgoroth like SATAN! that bit made me laugh!
I didn't like the hair metal bit -its so tedious and boring, like sex drugs rock n roll.
yeh it was good!
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
23.02.2008 - 01:34
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
oh right well as a rating about a 7 or 8 out of 10
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
21.04.2008 - 17:41
Berfones
I liked it, it was nice, and I learnt some things I didn't know before, but I watched it a long time ago and now know things they did not mantion, over all I give it about 6-7 out of 10
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
22.08.2008 - 08:30
Anarchist
It was alright, I hated that they mentioned Slayer as more of side comment and yet they spent so much time on hair metal and Metallica. But what can you expect from VH1 anyway. Although I love the quote from the singer of Warrant regarding Cherry Pie "I could shoot myself in the fuckin head for writing that song." I guess they didn't show the black metal part on TV, I'll have to download that.
22.08.2008 - 08:38
Anarchist
Written by Necrogeddon on 23.02.2008 at 01:33

it wasn't as good as i expected but yeah, the black metal bit was good with gorgoroth like SATAN! that bit made me laugh!
I didn't like the hair metal bit -its so tedious and boring, like sex drugs rock n roll.
yeh it was good!

Where did you download it from black metal part intact?
22.08.2008 - 08:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Anarchist on 22.08.2008 at 08:38

Written by Necrogeddon on 23.02.2008 at 01:33

yeh it was good!

Where did you download it from black metal part intact?

I think the people mentioning the black metal part are confusing this one with Headbanger's Journey.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.08.2008 - 09:02
Anarchist
Yep I can see that now, awesome movie though.
27.07.2009 - 22:36
Jonnz of Steel
I saw it a few months back, fun show to watch but it's ashame they missed out so many genres. Still enjoyed it though, paticularly the 3rd part.
27.11.2009 - 10:38
Shipwrecked
Most of that documentary was a joke. Spending almost an entire episode on Metallica and Marilyn Manson when there were many other more worthwhile events unfolding was typical of VH1. That's just the way I see it though.
28.11.2009 - 09:10
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
I am downloading it.
29.11.2009 - 03:17
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Metallica gets so much overexposure...they don't need anymore time devoted to them...
29.11.2009 - 05:04
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Boo fucking hoo. they happen to be the biggest metal band on the planet right now, so the time spent seems commensurate.

but typical metalheads whine when the mainstream ignores metal, whines when they pay attention and the details don't match their tastes.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.11.2009 - 02:01
SerratedSyringe
I saw this, at least part of it, a while back. From what I recall it was adequate, but fairly bland. Given the time they were alotted I'd say they did a good job of covering most of the main aspects of metal culture, at least enough to give the non-metal listener a taste of what metal is all about, right? That is what a documentary is for! It was not created so people who are already an expert on the subject can pick it apart; a documentary's purpose is to share knowledge with those who were previously unaware of it.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....