28. Versus The World
29. Across The Rainbow Bridge
30. Down The Slopes Of Death
31. Thousand Years Of Oppression
32. Bloodshed
33. And Soon The World Will Cease To Be

The best Melodeath / Extreme Power / Gothenburg Metal album of 2011

Additional info
All songs written and arranged by Amon Amarth.
Produced, mixed, mastered and spiritually guided by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios, Sweden.
Drums recorded at Park Studio.
Drum tech: Urban Näsvall.

Orchestral arrangements by Martin Jacobbson, performed by The Dark Passenger Orchestra.

Cover and "Fenriz" artwork by Tom Thiel.
Design, additional artwork and layout by Thomas Ewerhard.
Photos by Steve Brown.
Live pics Bochum by Florian Krapp / Metal Hammer.

Guest review by
Deadmeat
Rating:
The kings of the Swedish melodeath scene are back! Consistent as always, they have become one of the record companies' favorite bands: nice songs, huge popularity, unique style and additionally, they publish a new album every 2 to 3 years. Only a few bands assemble all these traits and Amon Amarth is one of them. On the other hand, some experimentation would be welcomed?

Read more ››
published 14.08.2011 | Comments (22)

Found in 79 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 5

Comments: 149   Visited by: 2437 users
12.03.2011 - 17:33
Rating: 9
Dominus
The Shooter
Amazing as always!!!!!
12.03.2011 - 17:35
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Imo the new album is a bit overproduced and soft(it has lots of keyboards and clean guitars). i'm also having trouble finding any definite killer tracks from the first "spin". For Victory or Death is a good track though, Tock's Taunt is a very creative song and War of the Gods, although generic as hell, delivers on an above-average level.

i'm unimpressed by this album.. 6.5 or so from me.
12.03.2011 - 21:59
Rating: 8
MetalSpider

After one run through...I think its a great album! But its not their best effort. I still prefer Twilight of the Thundergod (just a little more I think) and still think With Oden is their best album.

But...Ive listened to it once only, so it might change after a few more listens.

And the cover of SOAD's Aerials was something else lol. It was an interesting cover.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
14.03.2011 - 11:07
Mikyz

This is a good album, it's classic AA so there is no doubt that it's a high quality release but imo they should take more risks, I'd rank this behind With Oden on Our Side and Twilight of the Thunder God. + I was really surprised with the System of a Down cover, it was weird.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
14.03.2011 - 20:30
SoulScarred

I'm listening to it the first time, the second track 'Tock's Taunt' kicks some real ass, wow I'm really impressed..just stepped here to say this lol
15.03.2011 - 11:00
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Where.... How.... How come I haven't heard it yet, and you all did?

/me peers into the depths of searching for Surtur Rising
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
15.03.2011 - 11:25
Reza
Account deleted
I've only listened to "War Of The Gods". sounds like a great album !
16.03.2011 - 06:32
iORi

So-so album... nothing impressive... some good tracks and some not so good... The best IMO are War of The Gods, Destroyer Of The Universe and Slaves Of Fear... The SOAD cover... JUST LOL!!!! For me it's 7.5/10 and still Oden is the best album.
16.03.2011 - 14:20
BudDa

Written by Mikyz on 14.03.2011 at 11:07

This is a good album, it's classic AA so there is no doubt that it's a high quality release but imo they should take more risks, I'd rank this behind With Oden on Our Side and Twilight of the Thunder God. + I was really surprised with the System of a Down cover, it was weird.

Yeah, if i could meet them, i would ask them why they chose this song. I also didn't like their version
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
16.03.2011 - 14:52
W-Lash
Metal Master
Actually I had possibility to listen the new one. Can't say I didn't like it much. Played it like 3-4 times but didn't find any song that could make me say - hey, this is really good one! Some themes are quite interesting but that's all.
But if you really enjoyed AA last album you might like this.
16.03.2011 - 14:53
Ann-Cygnus

There's a System of a Down cover?

Interesting...
----
Check out my blog, Me(n)tal-Meltdown for cartoons and more!

http://metalmelt.wordpress.com/
16.03.2011 - 15:45
Mikyz

Written by BudDa on 16.03.2011 at 14:20

Yeah, if i could meet them, i would ask them why they chose this song. I also didn't like their version

I actually like that they covered it, but it just sounds too different from the original for me to genuinely enjoy it, but its a nice try nonetheless. I didn't listen to the other covers are they any good?
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
19.03.2011 - 16:39
Rating: 9
Destructo

More or less this album has been able to satisfy my expectations, if not completely blow my mind off. So overall I'm pretty happy with what I have heard.
20.03.2011 - 05:43
elven

8/10 for me..
20.03.2011 - 09:42
tmclane

Destroyer of the Universe kicks so much ass
20.03.2011 - 11:13
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
So yea, couldn't wait either so I had to listen to it. To me Surtur Rising was probably one of the most anticipated album of this year, since I found all AA releases since Versus The World incredibly good. Gotta say Surtur Rising reminds me of Twilight Of The Thunder God the most I'd say. I do have particularly one song that is my fave from the album - such as Under The Northern Star from Oden and Tattered Banners And Bloody Flags from Thunder God were, both songs have popped out to me as best songs on the album - but can't really say which one, cause I've been listening the album in the car only so far and don't know the title As considering Aerials, I'm quite biased - I love this song in the original, I like SOAD, I like AA, and I like Surtur Rising but.... as much as it sounds kickass in the beginning, I can't help but missing the high vocals of SOAD in it, which made Aerials what it is, it just doesn't sound so overall kickass awesome with Johan's growls to me.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
20.03.2011 - 23:41
jfAkerfeldt

This album for me is very, very good, Twlight of the Thunder gods was the best album's AA for me, but this is better. Aerial's cover is interesting, this song is an way to introducing in the USA merchandising, but its cool. 9.0 my rating...
21.03.2011 - 11:07
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Doom Over Dead Man is the song that has me going crazy
----
21.03.2011 - 19:24
Rating: 6
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
This album = win
22.03.2011 - 12:49
beyondtehdarksun

I can imagine SOAD with growls, but... Aerials?? This is sure to sound strange. Can't wait to check the album out.
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
23.03.2011 - 18:37
.:Nataras:.
.:Saratan:.
Disappointment! 7/10 or 6/10
----
23.03.2011 - 18:41
.:Nataras:.
Written by beyondtehdarksun on 22.03.2011 at 12:49

I can imagine SOAD with growls, but... Aerials?? This is sure to sound strange. Can't wait to check the album out.

i could listen to them today... it's funny! SOAD ? AMON? why SOAD? SOAD is viking? or norse? or other stuff like that!?
i like Aerials with clean vocal and cleaner guitars!!! and hmm... hey i don't like that!!!!!!!!!! Aerials is good only by SOAD...
----
24.03.2011 - 12:11
malaikat

Well the Ariels cover sure is weak
24.03.2011 - 14:27
MechanisT
Account deleted
Amon Amarth have pulled off a Bodom with this album. Meaningless covers by bands are getting on my nerves...
24.03.2011 - 17:18
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Apart from the bad SOAD cover. This album is great!
24.03.2011 - 17:41
!Tsk!
Account deleted
Written by BaneConall on 24.03.2011 at 17:18

Ey,covers are only for fun of the members band!!You cant judge an album only because of the cover!At first,i thought it was going to be a trash,but i loved it!Its an excelent cover,althought it is not viking!!:thumbup:
24.03.2011 - 17:44
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Written by Guest on 24.03.2011 at 17:41

Written by BaneConall on 24.03.2011 at 17:18

Ey,covers are only for fun of the members band!!You cant judge an album only because of the cover!At first,i thought it was going to be a trash,but i loved it!Its an excelent cover,althought it is not viking!!:thumbup:

Exactly! Thats why I didn't let it affect my rating of the album.
24.03.2011 - 18:01
MetalSpider

Its a very good album, but its not as good as Twilight or their masterpiece WOOS. Or even Versus the World. I'd say its about the same as Fate of Norns.
----

24.03.2011 - 19:48
guill62

Written by MetalSpider on 24.03.2011 at 18:01

Its a very good album, but its not as good as Twilight or their masterpiece WOOS. Or even Versus the World. I'd say its about the same as Fate of Norns.

And before Versus it sucks ? There is a life before Versus you know
24.03.2011 - 19:59
MetalSpider

Written by guill62 on 24.03.2011 at 19:48

Written by MetalSpider on 24.03.2011 at 18:01

And before Versus it sucks ? There is a life before Versus you know

Oh no definitely not! Didn't mean it like that. Once Sent From the Golden Hall is brilliant!!!!!!! I'll break it down:

WOOS > Twilight/Versus The World > Surtur Rising/Fate of Norns/Once Sent From the Golden Hall > The Crusher > The Avenger

Thats personally how I rate the albums...although Im liking Golden Hall even more these days. But I love all their albums. And even though I rated the Avenger last, by no means is it a bad album. I think its great!

To me though...Versus and everything after (except for Fate of Norns), I find to be their best.
----

Hits total: 45307 | This month: 46