28. Versus The World
29. Across The Rainbow Bridge
30. Down The Slopes Of Death
31. Thousand Years Of Oppression
32. Bloodshed
33. And Soon The World Will Cease To Be

The best Melodeath / Extreme Power / Gothenburg Metal album of 2011

Additional info
All songs written and arranged by Amon Amarth.
Produced, mixed, mastered and spiritually guided by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios, Sweden.
Drums recorded at Park Studio.
Drum tech: Urban Näsvall.

Orchestral arrangements by Martin Jacobbson, performed by The Dark Passenger Orchestra.

Cover and "Fenriz" artwork by Tom Thiel.
Design, additional artwork and layout by Thomas Ewerhard.
Photos by Steve Brown.
Live pics Bochum by Florian Krapp / Metal Hammer.

Guest review by
Deadmeat
Rating:
The kings of the Swedish melodeath scene are back! Consistent as always, they have become one of the record companies' favorite bands: nice songs, huge popularity, unique style and additionally, they publish a new album every 2 to 3 years. Only a few bands assemble all these traits and Amon Amarth is one of them. On the other hand, some experimentation would be welcomed?

Read more ››
published 14.08.2011 | Comments (22)

Found in 79 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 149   Visited by: 2437 users
24.03.2011 - 20:50
Rating: 6
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by MetalSpider on 24.03.2011 at 19:59

Oh no definitely not! Didn't mean it like that. Once Sent From the Golden Hall is brilliant!!!!!!! I'll break it down:

WOOS > Twilight/Versus The World > Surtur Rising/Fate of Norns/Once Sent From the Golden Hall > The Crusher > The Avenger

Thats personally how I rate the albums...although Im liking Golden Hall even more these days. But I love all their albums. And even though I rated the Avenger last, by no means is it a bad album. I think its great!

To me though...Versus and everything after (except for Fate of Norns), I find to be their best.

I'd say WOOS >>>>> Twilight/Versus/Fate > Surtur Rising
Although Surtur Rising is almost on bar with the latest releases but the fact that it offers nothing new makes it inferior to them , and I think we all agree that WOOS is the highlight of their discography and I'm almost certain that they will not top it.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
24.03.2011 - 21:07
guill62

Written by guill62 on 24.03.2011 at 19:48

Written by MetalSpider on 24.03.2011 at 18:01

Its a very good album, but its not as good as Twilight or their masterpiece WOOS. Or even Versus the World. I'd say its about the same as Fate of Norns.

And before Versus it sucks ? There is a life before Versus you know

Oh no definitely not! Didn't mean it like that. Once Sent From the Golden Hall is brilliant!!!!!!! I'll break it down:

WOOS > Twilight/Versus The World > Surtur Rising/Fate of Norns/Once Sent From the Golden Hall > The Crusher > The Avenger

Thats personally how I rate the albums...although Im liking Golden Hall even more these days. But I love all their albums. And even though I rated the Avenger last, by no means is it a bad album. I think its great!

To me though...Versus and everything after (except for Fate of Norns), I find to be their best.

WOOOS better than Once Sent? I can understand from the sound but the songwriting are objectively not worse than WOOOS and also more various and brutal. Are you afraid of the brutal?
24.03.2011 - 21:14
Aeonfrost

For me, Once Sent is the best Amon Amarth Album out there, WOOOS is good, but i don't like all the songs on the album.
24.03.2011 - 22:08
Rating: 8
MetalSpider

Written by guill62 on 24.03.2011 at 21:07

Written by guill62 on 24.03.2011 at 19:48

Its a very good album, but its not as good as Twilight or their masterpiece WOOS. Or even Versus the World. I'd say its about the same as Fate of Norns.

And before Versus it sucks ? There is a life before Versus you know

WOOOS better than Once Sent? I can understand from the sound but the songwriting are objectively not worse than WOOOS and also more various and brutal. Are you afraid of the brutal?

Well to me WOOOS is the better album and for me, the best album they ever made. I simply enjoyed it more. I have nothing against brutality. I embrace brutality lol. I was hoping Surtur Rising would be 10 times more brutal than WOOOS and more like their old albums, while still retaining their WOOOS like melodies. Of course it wasn't...in fact Surtur Rising is too soft as a whole, even though I do enjoy it.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
24.03.2011 - 22:10
Rating: 6
Turin Turambar
Mormegil
Like for Amon Amarth... boooooring....best suprise in + cover Aerials.
----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYN2a81u8rE

"There Is No Beast Without Cruelty"
F.Nietzsche
25.03.2011 - 05:16
Rating: 9
Chino

Written by Guest on 24.03.2011 at 17:41

Written by BaneConall on 24.03.2011 at 17:18

Apart from the bad SOAD cover. This album is great!

Ey,covers are only for fun of the members band!!You cant judge an album only because of the cover!At first,i thought it was going to be a trash,but i loved it!Its an excelent cover,althought it is not viking!!:thumbup:
27.03.2011 - 00:44
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Album:
I felt this was an extension of twilight of the thunderg god, so it was pretty good but I had to rate it the same though. I do agree that it doesn't exactly fit the fire some of the earlier albums and/or songs roll with.

Covers:
I don't get the covers they chose to do for this at all... Mostly on the system and kiss fronts I'm saying this. Accept, okay, makes some sense (would just have rather heard a more obscure song from the Accept albums Library). I think they chose the best kiss song possible for Amon Amarth (I have problems picturing them doing strutter, firehouse, beth, crazy nights, the x in sex, forever, or anything else honestly) but it still didn't feel right exactly. System of a down... WTF were they thinking? (Leaving my commentary at that for this cover...)
----
27.03.2011 - 18:12
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ph0eNiX on 27.03.2011 at 00:44

Covers:
I don't get the covers they chose to do for this at all... Mostly on the system and kiss fronts I'm saying this. Accept, okay, makes some sense (would just have rather heard a more obscure song from the Accept albums Library).

yeah, BttW was a way too obvious choice. way more epic would have been a groovy melodeath version of Princess of the Dawn. even the lyrics would fit just nice.
28.03.2011 - 04:36
Rating: 7
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Written by Alakazam on 28.03.2011 at 00:59

Written by Valentin B on 27.03.2011 at 18:12

Written by Ph0eNiX on 27.03.2011 at 00:44

Covers:
I don't get the covers they chose to do for this at all... Mostly on the system and kiss fronts I'm saying this. Accept, okay, makes some sense (would just have rather heard a more obscure song from the Accept albums Library).

yeah, BttW was a way too obvious choice. way more epic would have been a groovy melodeath version of Princess of the Dawn. even the lyrics would fit just nice.

I'm still crossing fingers for the day they cover ether "Invaders" or "Iron Maiden" for personal reference!

But the vokings are chased away in Invaders, unless they change the song, such as reverse the roles. I always thought a slower heavier, more melodic version of led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song" would have been great.

As for the album....ehhhh. I felt they actually tried experimenting with alot of things, but I've either heard it done better somewhere else or just didn't play into Amon's strengths. When they tried to be destructively brutal or dark, epic and desperate, they just don't seem to be able to convey it through their playing. Maybe they could have played around with the production a bit (album could have been better if it was louder to be honest) but that really isn't Amon's thing; they seem pretty confident and comfortable with how they sound. If they change that, they may lose that pillar of character which makes Amon who they are. the album kind of putters out until "For Victory or Death", which is not only the best song on the album (in my opinion) but is followed by "Wrath of the norsemen" and "A Beast I am" some of the better songs on the album. FVOD sounds pretty different from anything they;ve done and quite frankly, they need to branch out bit more like this.

as for the "Aerials" cover.....seemed at times it could have worked, but everytime I started to get into it I realized "fuck I'm listening to Aerials...really". It just feels weird.
28.03.2011 - 17:14
Windrider
Raureif
Now listened to this album for 3 days, and it fucking slays! Better than Twilight imo and at least on one level with WOOOS! Best album this year for now, and very very hard to top... Really one of the best in recent time, ready to enter my all-time-fave albums
30.03.2011 - 12:00
azhidahakk

About areal cover song there's only onething that must be mentioned,and thats it shows the pwer of Amon amarth in covering those kind of songs in their own way!\m/
so i think it was a wise choice!

In general the album was great but some how i felt it a little repeated!all songs seemed to be like each other.
30.03.2011 - 20:06
Zangah

Hey, i liked it...
30.03.2011 - 20:16
Omnicosm

Written by azhidahakk on 30.03.2011 at 12:00

In general the album was great but some how i felt it a little repeated!all songs seemed to be like each other.

We're talking about Amon Amarth here. They're fucking awesome, but it's pretty well known that you don't go seeking a lot of variation in Amon Amarth. What you can always expect is their tried-and-true, brutal, melodeath grooves--grating guitars like clashing axes and gutteral growls like war cries from the gods. To battle!... over and over again, like the cycle of Ragnarock. But we love it!
----
Cheers.
30.03.2011 - 22:27
Vikingr

Don't fix what isn't broken. This album kicked my souls ass and made me remember why Amon Amarth is the shit!
31.03.2011 - 09:46
In Bone Factory

I dont like it so much but the SOAD's cover is'nt that bad
----
The End Is Nigh ...
31.03.2011 - 14:25
Destructo

Why SOAD of all the bands is the biggest question ......But it's ok, the rest of the album was definitely good.
01.04.2011 - 00:31
Rating: 10
WRATH OF FENRIR

Written by Guest on 24.03.2011 at 14:27

Amon Amarth have pulled off a Bodom with this album. Meaningless covers by bands are getting on my nerves...
02.04.2011 - 16:30
Behdaad
DEAD
Totally agree. When I saw the tracklist, I was shocked: What the f**k?! SOAD?!
I wasn't expecting Amon Amarth doing this.
I still like "Twilight of the Thunder God" more.
----
As tyranny becomes normality;
We hang at the end of the rope.
03.04.2011 - 08:21
PassionateApathy

I really need to pick this up, especially the special edition with the viking action figure.
04.04.2011 - 04:09
Winterthrone

Very good album! Not touching the glory of twilight of The Thunder God though... There's something missing but it is still a very good album with great melodies and songwriting.
04.04.2011 - 21:07
JeffreyAgente
Account deleted

Agreed! Surtur rising don't even is a shadow of the later four albuns (Versus the world,fate of norns,With Oden On Our Side and twilight of the thundergod), specially WOOOS, which is their best album! But, it an good piece, anyway....loved the Track "Doom over dead man" and "War of the gods",and also the SOAD cover!
07.04.2011 - 07:56
Necrodamus

Great album, one of my favs this year. Doesn't match the epicness of With Oden on Our Side, but that was a tough album to top. Here's to another!
10.04.2011 - 20:44
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Same ole, same ole. I guess that's ok if they are a favorite band but I am just an average Amarth fan.
----
rekt
14.04.2011 - 02:24
John Shock

Man, so many low dissapointment critics! i've only heard half of the album and i must say i like it! And i'm not a fan of amon amarth, yet! i will rate it when i've heard it from it's entirely!!!
14.04.2011 - 12:48
Kuroboshi

The last song f*cking rocks! I agree with some that feels that this is a sort of appendix to their 2008 release. But I think it is more mature, and their only better album to me is probably Versus the World.
17.04.2011 - 19:20
MechanisT
Account deleted
After countless rotations on my playlist, I have to admit that this record has grown a bit on me. An upper-case 7 will do it justice. Still disappointed about the overall genericness, though. Slightly better than Twilight, in my opinion.
17.04.2011 - 20:03
JeffreyAgente
Account deleted
This album is so good!

My favourite tracks: Wratch Of The Norsemen, Doom Over Dead Man and For Victory Of Death!
19.04.2011 - 18:39
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Hows the accept cover love that sopng origibnally
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.04.2011 - 09:26
BellTower
Account deleted
I was hoping to be blown away when I first listened to this...
Unfortunetly it felt very stale (& still does after repeated rotations.)

I guess I'll have to wait for the next one, but a weaker 'Twilight of the Thunder Gods' and now weakest 'Surtur Rising' - I'm not as convinced as I once was.

And seeming that everyone has commented on 'Aerials' - it is really that bad. I had to turn it off the moment the chorus started, and it sucks to do that to Amon Amarth.
20.04.2011 - 23:36
OsMoFF

Really enjoying the album. War of the Gods is simply epic!

Hits total: 45306 | This month: 45