Metal Storm logo
While Heaven Wept - Ink Deal With Nuclear Blast

Nuclear Blast Records is proud to announce the signing of legendary US metallers While Heaven Wept.

Mainman Tom Phillips commented: "For the past 21 years, While Heaven Wept has been committed to two things: performing music that is sincerely from the heart, without any other boundary, and secondly, we have always strived to deliver the absolute best sounding albums that we could create at any given time, regardless of the changing landscape of the industry; insuring each release has the greatest production possible is paramount for us in terms of the clarity of expression, and additionally, we hope to offer the very best experience for those who take the time to listen.

With this in mind, it made perfect sense for us to align with Nuclear Blast, who also have been committed to offering only the very best in the world of Heavy Metal. Through this partnership, we will surely be able to continue delivering the best productions possible while presenting our musical vision in a different arena, betraying neither our past nor our ideals. Nuclear Blast's support of our musical identity is truly an honor, and everyone who has stood by us all along these years need not worry; While Heaven Wept is what it is, and cannot be anything else.

That said, we'll also never release the same album twice... everything stems from where we are in the moment emotionally and spiritually, so while the core elements/influences of the band have remained the same since our inception, we will continue to express ourselves in whatever way feels natural at the time. Expect the unexpected.

We look forward to revealing our new album Fear Of Infinity together with Nuclear Blast very soon!"

Adds Nuclear Blast A&R Jaap Wagemaker: "Last year we were totally blown away by the release of the album Vast Oceans Lachrymose (out on Cruz del Sur Music) from the US genre-defining and genre-defying metal band While Heaven Wept! This album was for sure the surprise of the year and not only for us, but for every major metal publication in the world as well as their longtime fans too!

Earlier this year the band played an amazing show at the Hammer Of Doom festival which has been captured on DVD/CD and will be released as Triumph:Tragedy:Transcendence (again on Cruz del Sur Music). In the meantime, after months of talking with mastermind Tom Phillips, we are very happy to announce that While Heaven Wept has joined the Nuclear Family!

While Heaven Wept are already in the studio recording their follow-up album Fear of Infinity which will be out April 2011. The band are also developing tour plans and have already confirmed some festival appearances as well, with many more to come. While Heaven Wept - who have been an insider tip for many years - are taking the next step in their career and we can't wait to bring them to the next level!"

While Heaven Wept's former label Cruz Del Sur wishes the band all the best. Says head honcho Enrico Leccese: "I started working with Tom Phillips on the release of what was going to be Vast Oceans Lachrymose in June 2006. Tom was already working on this album for a couple of years but had suffered from the bankruptcy of his two previous labels (in a row!). We joked about how Cruz Del Sur Music would sink after signing WHW, judging by the goings-on.

Almost 3 and a half years after, the release of VOL hit the market provoking an amazing reaction from the people who already loved WHW, but also conquering thousands of new fans. From then on, it was an exciting ride which has seen the re-release of their long out of print previous albums on cd, a series of glorious live shows, the peak represented by the forthcoming (19/11) release of their first live album Triumph: Tragedy: Transcendence available in both a CD/DVD limited edition and on vinyl.

It was inevitable that WHW would catch the interest of bigger labels and I am not angry or disillusioned at all. I mainly see their going to a respectable and leading label as Nuclear Blast as a honor and a recognition of our work. Tom, Rain, Jim, Trevor, Michelle and Scott: I wish you the best for your career!"

Source: whileheavenwept.net
Band profile: While Heaven Wept
Posted: 16.11.2010 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 16   Visited by: 59 users
16.11.2010 - 20:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
And once again Nuclear Blast are late to the game and reap the benefits of the groundwork small labels, that dared take risks, did.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.11.2010 - 20:37
Metal Maiden
Megadead
Agreed...I sure hope this doesn't affect their sound...
16.11.2010 - 20:40
Elodie Artour
Slania
Wow... That was unexpected!

WHW are great, though, so I wish them all the best from now on! Nuclear Blast are probably the best choice for them coz as far as I remember, the band kept on bragging about how hard it is to make a living out of music itself. So, now it's gonna be a bit easier, I guess...

Conclusion: Better sign to Nuclear Blast instead of getting disbanded.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
16.11.2010 - 20:58
Metal Maiden
Megadead
Written by Elodie Artour on 16.11.2010 at 20:40

Conclusion: Better sign to Nuclear Blast instead of getting disbanded.

Yeah, I'm sure Metallica or In Flames (among others) have had the same thoughts sometime during their careers, haha...

Conclusion: If you start going for the money, rather than the music & the audience, better get disbanded rather than spoiling your legacy...And it's not like we haven't seen that happen...

Anyways, best of wishes to the band, hope they get the best out of this deal, WITHOUT compromising what they stand for...
16.11.2010 - 21:03
Elodie Artour
Slania
I hate it when some decent band has to compromise their music but sometimes there is no other way. (Especially if they indeed make a living out of music only.) Just imagine that some of these guys don't have any other education than music. (Some musicians haven't even graduated university.) However, they have gained recognition but it's not enough for them, neither for their income. So, now what? We get to the same conclusion of mine.
----
16.11.2010 - 21:15
Metal Maiden
Megadead
Nah, you get to it...I don't...
16.11.2010 - 21:15
Ag Fox
Angel No More
WHW deserved it (= Hope the new album would be great like Vast Oceans of Lachrymose
----
loves 小巫
16.11.2010 - 21:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Metal Maiden on 16.11.2010 at 20:37

Agreed...I sure hope this doesn't affect their sound...

having heard what sort of person Tom Phillips is there is no chance in he'll compromise his artistic vision to the wishes of a label. and tbh Nuclear Blast, Roadrunner, Century Media actually never meddle with the bands in that respect.
WhW deserves all the success they can get so hopefully they will now finally be noticed by people outside of the doom scene's inner couple of circles.
even though Vast Oceans Lachrymose was once again brilliant almost almost no-one outside the aforementioned inner circles even paid attention to said album.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.11.2010 - 22:33
Elodie Artour
Slania
I disagree on your statement about big labels not changing the bands' sound, Marcel. I mean, they do change it in a way...
----
16.11.2010 - 23:05
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Quote:
tbh Nuclear Blast, Roadrunner, Century Media actually never meddle with the bands in that respect

You obviously know nothing about the music industry.
16.11.2010 - 23:14
Metal Maiden
Megadead
Haha, Marcel, you flatter me with this statement...I mean, while my interest in doom has been progressing increasingly for quite some time now, and still is, I hardly consider myself part of doom's inner circles, and yet I still worship VOL, as well as all WHW's releases...But then again if it wasn't for MS, I probably wouldn't have heard of it, so I get your point...It's actually thanks to you and some other guys here I have fallen in love with bands like WHW, Warning, 11th Hour, Ahab, Black Sun Aeon, Isole etc...Before that, the doomiest bands I liked were Draconian & Novembers Doom, haha...So thanks Marcel, keep bringing us uneducated metalheads closer to the doom, hehe...

You have to agree though, every one of the aforementioned labels has some bitch-bands, reaching for quick cash & fame, sacrificing every bit of talent they might have had prior to signing...I hope you are right WHW won't compromise the ideals behind their art and become such a band...

P.S. What's your take on Mirror of Deception's latest?
16.11.2010 - 23:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Major labels pressurize bands to change their sound but not small labels such as NB CM RR bands always whinew about that they were pressuroized into changing when in fact they changed on their own accord but found out they didn't sell more and then start to blame the companies. RR CM NB aren't big and powerful at all unlike some of you seem to think. i have been into the metal music industry longer than any of you are old, so, let mw guarantee yopu I DO know what I am talking about since I had to deal with labels such as CM NB and RR since the late 80s
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.11.2010 - 23:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Metal Maiden on 16.11.2010 at 23:14

Haha, Marcel, you flatter me with this statement...I mean, while my interest in doom has been progressing increasingly for quite some time now, and still is, I hardly consider myself part of doom's inner circles, and yet I still worship VOL, as well as all WHW's releases...But then again if it wasn't for MS, I probably wouldn't have heard of it, so I get your point...It's actually thanks to you and some other guys here I have fallen in love with bands like WHW, Warning, 11th Hour, Ahab, Black Sun Aeon, Isole etc...Before that, the doomiest bands I liked were Draconian & Novembers Doom, haha...So thanks Marcel, keep bringing us uneducated metalheads closer to the doom, hehe...

You have to agree though, every one of the aforementioned labels has some bitch-bands, reaching for quick cash & fame, sacrificing every bit of talent they might have had prior to signing...I hope you are right WHW won't compromise the ideals behind their art and become such a band...

P.S. What's your take on Mirror of Deception's latest?

thanks for all the praise you give me and MS concerning doom
as for the latest MoD tbh it took me a long while to get into. I find it a shame the guitarist doesn't do the vocals any more and now we have the more ordinaty vocals of the drummer.
Btw I love the special 2cd version with the bonus disc. Finally the songs I had on vinyl I now also have on cd. Oh and I LOVE Elaine C.'s artwork, just like what she did for Prcocession, The Wounded Kings, Forsaken/Fall Of The Idols split.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.11.2010 - 23:40
Metal Maiden
Megadead
This is actually the first album of theirs I stumble upon...Found it hard to get into as well...I guess I should check them out when I have the chance...Meanwhile, any doom tips would be appreciated, should you have any...
17.11.2010 - 20:29
paulo figueiredo
Account deleted
Congratulations!! You deserve it!!

"Vast Oceans Lachrymose" is one of the best albums i ever heard, hope that "Fear of Infinity" also rocks too.

\m/
19.11.2010 - 22:16
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Totally well-deserved, they are one of the most promising bands I've ever listened to, but, commenting what Marcel said, NB should start to seek for the unknown and debuting bands, those who are not signed yet to a minor label, they have enough material to promote those bands. But, oh well, I'm not the man behind the desk so it's not up to me to decide those kind of things hahaha.

Congratulations to While Heaven Wept
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"

Hits total: 2830 | This month: 7