Metal Storm logo
Wintersun - Another News Update

As promised by drummer Kai Hahto last weekend, an official update from the Wintersun camp has hit the interwebs. Here goes:

"Hi everyone! It's been a while.

I've been working very hard with the synths & orchestrations and I can finally say that I'm feeling very positive about finishing this long and gruesome task by Christmas. So hopefully around the end of December I can finally start mixing the album. I still have a few vocal parts unfinished, but I will be singing them meanwhile I'm mixing.

The only problem about the mixing is that my current computer gear simply cannot handle these insanely huge projects. And the other problem is that I have no money for new gear. So we have discussed about this problem with our label & management and they have agreed to help us with an advance to buy new and more powerful computer gear, but only if we agree to play a few shows and show people that Wintersun is still alive. So after carefully weighting all the different possibilies, we think we need to play these shows to help the completion of the album.

The shows will be for now: Metalfest (3 shows: Helvetia, Austria, Germany) and Metalcamp (1 show).

There's lot of work and preparation to do for these shows, 'cause we have to update our live gear as well, sort out technical difficulties and of course rehearse the songs. This will most likely affect negatively with the mixing schedule, so I can't give any predictions with that yet. I also need to try out the new computer gear first and see how it handles these projects. The software is still not 64-bit, so the "infamous 4GB RAM limit" might also be a problem with the mixing, since these projects already eat about 3GB without any plugins. But I will do my best to overcome this challenge the fastest way I can.

And no worries, these shows will definitely not be cancelled. So we are looking forward to you guys, see you at the gigs! Who knows, we might even play a one new riff... I mean a song! "

[Also thanks to amarchand and moe5512 for sending in this news!]

Source: wintermadness.net
Band profile: Wintersun
Posted: 17.11.2010 by NL4577

Comments page 3 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 75   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 538 users
20.11.2010 - 02:15
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 20.11.2010 at 01:03

Written by Guest on 19.11.2010 at 18:00

Written by Sword_Chant on 19.11.2010 at 17:34

Since when did recording gear mean a good album is made? What about good black metal? Most of their quality is shit but sometimes it makes the album all the more interesting and awesome.

Bit of a dumb analogy. I agree that recording gear doesnt make an album good/bad but the blackmetal comparison is stupid. Because blackmetal is supposed to sound like shit and most of the time it does. But obviously Wintersun wants a little more out of their recording for this album, especially with all the instrumentation (apparently) planned for the album. So I think proper gear is more important to them than for some blackmetal band.

If Wintersun recorded and album that sounded like it was made in some obscure forest, practically inaudible instruments and static then it wouldnt make any sense.

I find it funny when I read people saying that "Black Metal sounds like shit and you can't hear the instruments". My opinion is all you need is to get used to it. The sound is only different, in my mind, not crappy. I can hear the instruments well enough for my tastes and, in general, the sound is the way I like it to be.
Some bands might sound as they lack polish but I prefer this a hundred times to a polished sound. A raw, unpolished sound has the quality to be 'alive', to touch you and give emotions. An overpolished sound is lifeless, emotionless and, in the end, boring.

I understand that not everyone will agree but that's the way metal sound works for me. I would add that burying the drums a bit helps hearing guitar riffs and, imo, BM succeeds at this more than any other genre. Generally, drums are an annoyance in metal nowadays because they're recorded way too loud compared to other instruments. We didn't have this problem in the 80s. It all started in the 90s.
I fucking hate drums in Powermetal, especially. Not only that they're recorded way too much over everything but they're repetitive, generic and original - a very bad combination that makes so many bands sound like each other.

Ok fair enough....but this is the Wintersun update section. It has nothing to do with blackmetal so if I think it sounds like shit then so be it. If you hate the drums in powermetal (of which Wintersun prolly is part of in a way) then why comment here? I know you werent trying to be an ass, and neither am I. What you're saying just doesnt seem too relevant in this specific section.
20.11.2010 - 02:31
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 20.11.2010 at 00:43

You totally read that wrong. I'm pretty sure he was using Black metal as an example. Secondly, rougher recording really works for a lot of music, and frankly, Wintersun probably wouldn't sound so Goddamned boring if they left a few rough edges instead of making music that sounds stifled from being way too over polished.

Well Im sure there are a lot of Wintersun fans in here who dont find their debut boring, hence they wouldnt want it "rougher around the edges". Its like me saying "Darkthrone wouldnt sound so shit if their sound was more polished" - which would be retarded because Im not a fan of their music and my opinion really matters very little as I dont really care what they sound like. So for someone who seems to not like Wintersun Im not really sure why your thoughts on their production is valid.

Lastly, before all the finger pointing starts, Im not in love with Wintersun and Im not "acting out" (havent listened to it in about 2 years I think) just trying to bring the point across that some people (like myself) prefer clean productions. It shouldnt make it inferior to anything produced in a rougher way. I suppose you will continue to think they sound boring because (if/when) Time is released Im pretty sure it will be as polished (if not more) than the debut....
20.11.2010 - 04:12
Vikcen
Metálico
@RavenKing: do you want a rough album of this decade? Sphinx by Melechesh.

@Valaskjalf: for you i would recomended you... (viewing your profile+coments...) come on, i dare with... try with Soulitude - Wonderfool World .

20.11.2010 - 13:11
Sword_Chant

Written by Guest on 19.11.2010 at 18:00

Since when did recording gear mean a good album is made? What about good black metal? Most of their quality is shit but sometimes it makes the album all the more interesting and awesome.

Bit of a dumb analogy. I agree that recording gear doesnt make an album good/bad but the blackmetal comparison is stupid. Because blackmetal is supposed to sound like shit and most of the time it does. But obviously Wintersun wants a little more out of their recording for this album, especially with all the instrumentation (apparently) planned for the album. So I think proper gear is more important to them than for some blackmetal band.

If Wintersun recorded and album that sounded like it was made in some obscure forest, practically inaudible instruments and static then it wouldnt make any sense.

Wow take it easy, before you decapitate me read the guys comment above, he should point you towards what I meant. Good quality doesn't always work...many great bands manage to make the most of the gear they have when the music itself is legitimate. I wasn't referring to just Black metal alone, so i'd probably have to agree with you if we we're just speaking about that - I wasn't talking about that though, I was talking about the gear. Production isn't everything...i'd rather hear something distorted that actually sounds good than something over-produced. Quality is important, but not when it goes TOO far, it can prove tedious. But that's just my opinion and theres a lot of metal genres out there that do under-production very well, I just used 1 example...and I like Wintersun otherwise I wouldn't have commented at all
20.11.2010 - 13:15
Sword_Chant

Written by amarchand on 19.11.2010 at 23:28

LOL. Makes it interesting and awesome eh? Obscured audio quality = more awesomness!!! Not being able to hear actual notes = more awesomeness!!! For Wintersun this would sound fucking terrible. They're not black metal to begin wtih.

You totally read that wrong. I'm pretty sure he was using Black metal as an example. Secondly, rougher recording really works for a lot of music, and frankly, Wintersun probably wouldn't sound so Goddamned boring if they left a few rough edges instead of making music that sounds stifled from being way too over polished.

You read my comment right, thanks
20.11.2010 - 19:50
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Sword_Chant on 20.11.2010 at 13:11

Wow take it easy, before you decapitate me read the guys comment above, he should point you towards what I meant. Good quality doesn't always work...many great bands manage to make the most of the gear they have when the music itself is legitimate. I wasn't referring to just Black metal alone, so i'd probably have to agree with you if we we're just speaking about that - I wasn't talking about that though, I was talking about the gear. Production isn't everything...i'd rather hear something distorted that actually sounds good than something over-produced. Quality is important, but not when it goes TOO far, it can prove tedious. But that's just my opinion and theres a lot of metal genres out there that do under-production very well, I just used 1 example...and I like Wintersun otherwise I wouldn't have commented at all

lol Wasnt trying to decapitate you dude :-P I guess my point was just that we really have very little say over why bands do certain things...theyre the ones making the music so they really can do whatever the hell they want, and sound the way they want. And if other people dont approve then they best listen to something they do like.

Thats why this outrage from fans is a little retarded - I know its ridiculous that the album is taking so long and Jari's excuses seem dumb at best but theres no point for people on here to make such a fuss. Its been 6 years, but Im pretty sure there's enough bands out there for people to listen to in the meantime. As Ive mentioned its been the best part of 2 years since I even listened to Wintersun and Im not getting my hopes up. I think once it's released then cool...but until then I dont worry about what it will/might sound like because some people seem to be making themselves mental worrying about that.
30.11.2010 - 10:07
╠╣
Account deleted

Written by amarchand on 19.11.2010 at 23:28

LOL. Makes it interesting and awesome eh? Obscured audio quality = more awesomness!!! Not being able to hear actual notes = more awesomeness!!! For Wintersun this would sound fucking terrible. They're not black metal to begin wtih.

'Over polished' recordings work really well for a lot of music, as does 'rougher' recordings for others... so saying Wintersun's music sounds stifled because of that is just your opinion. If one looks at recordings objectively, one can clearly state whatever works best for the 'theme'/ 'concept' and in this case considering Wintersun's style their production suits their goal.
30.11.2010 - 17:09
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 30.11.2010 at 10:07

'Over polished' recordings work really well for a lot of music, as does 'rougher' recordings for others... so saying Wintersun's music sounds stifled because of that is just your opinion. If one looks at recordings objectively, one can clearly state whatever works best for the 'theme'/ 'concept' and in this case considering Wintersun's style their production suits their goal.

Yes, it is my opinion. Thank you for stating that.

----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.11.2010 - 23:33
╠╣
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 30.11.2010 at 17:09

It's a huge pleasure.
02.12.2010 - 02:02
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Guest on 30.11.2010 at 23:33

Written by Doc G. on 30.11.2010 at 17:09

It's a huge pleasure.

Yes, i say the same, thanks. Before i put two examples of two good discs from current decade, opposites in this sense wich we are talking:

Sphinx by Melechesh, rough.

Wonderfool World by Soulitude, polished.
02.12.2010 - 19:30
Destructhor

OK, just stop drinkin' and start to mix the songs I'm waiting with no patient for this album 4 years
04.12.2010 - 18:40
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
05.12.2010 - 17:52
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I'm still scratching my head over this one...
----
Brujerizmo!
20.12.2010 - 06:02
Urizen367

There seems to be an overwhelming feeling of "dont give a shit these days" when it comes to wintersun. sigh. how the once proud fall.
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
05.01.2011 - 12:34
╠╣
Account deleted
Written by Urizen367 on 20.12.2010 at 06:02

There seems to be an overwhelming feeling of "dont give a shit these days" when it comes to wintersun. sigh. how the once proud fall.

Well, apparently a lot of people who "don't give a shit" about Wintersun, these days, always end up commenting regardless.
So either they seek attention, or they actually do give a shit... so strange.

Hits total: 8073 | This month: 9