Metal Storm logo
Wintersun - Another News Update

As promised by drummer Kai Hahto last weekend, an official update from the Wintersun camp has hit the interwebs. Here goes:

"Hi everyone! It's been a while.

I've been working very hard with the synths & orchestrations and I can finally say that I'm feeling very positive about finishing this long and gruesome task by Christmas. So hopefully around the end of December I can finally start mixing the album. I still have a few vocal parts unfinished, but I will be singing them meanwhile I'm mixing.

The only problem about the mixing is that my current computer gear simply cannot handle these insanely huge projects. And the other problem is that I have no money for new gear. So we have discussed about this problem with our label & management and they have agreed to help us with an advance to buy new and more powerful computer gear, but only if we agree to play a few shows and show people that Wintersun is still alive. So after carefully weighting all the different possibilies, we think we need to play these shows to help the completion of the album.

The shows will be for now: Metalfest (3 shows: Helvetia, Austria, Germany) and Metalcamp (1 show).

There's lot of work and preparation to do for these shows, 'cause we have to update our live gear as well, sort out technical difficulties and of course rehearse the songs. This will most likely affect negatively with the mixing schedule, so I can't give any predictions with that yet. I also need to try out the new computer gear first and see how it handles these projects. The software is still not 64-bit, so the "infamous 4GB RAM limit" might also be a problem with the mixing, since these projects already eat about 3GB without any plugins. But I will do my best to overcome this challenge the fastest way I can.

And no worries, these shows will definitely not be cancelled. So we are looking forward to you guys, see you at the gigs! Who knows, we might even play a one new riff... I mean a song! "

[Also thanks to amarchand and moe5512 for sending in this news!]

Source: wintermadness.net
Band profile: Wintersun
Posted: 17.11.2010 by Account deleted

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 75   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 538 users
18.11.2010 - 01:05
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
They could just copy paste these news which are more than 4 years old btw: http://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=3642
Or maybe I can borrow them my 3 years old computer which has enough RAM...
18.11.2010 - 01:32
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Written by Silent Creeper on 18.11.2010 at 01:05

They could just copy paste these news which are more than 4 years old btw: http://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=3642

lol, I love the comments in that thread. "Oh my god, we have to wait till 2007 to get the new album!?" haha
18.11.2010 - 01:58
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I have the VERY strong impression Jari tries to back an average album by blaming the delay on every one else... I mean, when it takes 6 years to release a follow-up to one of the most popular metal albums ever, fans will obviously expect it to be a work of genius. And if it's not then the band sucks balls... except if it's not the band's fault. Poor lil' metalheads are too poor and big meany label doesn't help them
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
18.11.2010 - 02:01
necrovamp
Very soon their 3rd album's gonna be released before their 2nd! Why is it only wintersun who have got this problem, i've lost all faith in them.
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
18.11.2010 - 02:11
Vikcen
Metálico
I think he is not being too intelligent giving many details about what is happening to him. I also think he is too sincere.
18.11.2010 - 03:00
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Come On dude!!:wall:
18.11.2010 - 04:18
zwyk
It can be a triple cd album, who knows, maybe it is
18.11.2010 - 04:41
CliffemAll
I'm already anxious about the follow-up to Time. I assume it'll be out when I'm rife with cancer in my '50s.
18.11.2010 - 06:32
Adus11
Duke Nukem Forever jokes are sort of irrelevant now that it's actually coming out. I'm actually quite sure it'll come out before Time.
18.11.2010 - 07:06
visiblenoise
All i can say is goddammit
18.11.2010 - 08:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Silent Creeper on 18.11.2010 at 01:05

awesome work digging through the archive.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.11.2010 - 09:28
Saintain
Just fucking mix the album, shit its been 6 years now, tired of waiting, but still waiting for Time. but fucking hurry Jari.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (:
----
No Olvides que la Verdad nos dara la Libertad
18.11.2010 - 09:39
ApolloFC
Yeah... i've stopped caring about Wintersun/Time a few years ago. Take all the time you need guys - you can even rename it so that its called Boondock Saints 2.
18.11.2010 - 09:55
Tapyoh
Who is this guy? He's a joke. Who's interested in his computer problems?
18.11.2010 - 15:01
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
"The only problem about the mixing is that my current computer gear simply cannot handle these insanely huge projects."

omg...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.11.2010 - 17:07
moe5512
I hope you know that to make a song (especially a symphonic metal song) takes A LOT of computer space and performance...
18.11.2010 - 17:07
moe5512
I hope you know that to make a song (especially a symphonic metal song) takes A LOT of computer space and performance...
18.11.2010 - 17:34
gaud2029
I built myself a hackintosh with 8 gig and quad-core for ~800$..

however, it all depend on the software he's using, and learning that stuff (and make something good out of it..) can take a while
18.11.2010 - 20:42
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
I totally agree, a top-notch computer nowadays costs about 1000 euros/dollars, and with the record labels advance it SHOULD NOT be any problem... I smell something fishy going on! Hey, maybe he's gonna tell us one day in his memoires...
18.11.2010 - 20:59
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Fuckin wintersun. so lame.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
19.11.2010 - 03:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Wintersun news is always good for the lulz.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
19.11.2010 - 05:32
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
What's gonna be the bigger bust: Duke Nukem Forever or New Wintersun?
----
rekt
19.11.2010 - 06:06
amarchand
Haha everybody is always hating on Jari and his problems but they don't realize how difficult it is to do what he is trying to do. Learning your way around recording hardware and software takes years, so cut him some slack. I don't think it's the best idea that he's trying to mix it himself.. That could turn out awful, and totally ruin the vibe of the album. However I can't come up with an album he has played on that is disagreeable so a sliver of hope remains.
19.11.2010 - 17:34
Sword_Chant
Since when did recording gear mean a good album is made? What about good black metal? Most of their quality is shit but sometimes it makes the album all the more interesting and awesome.
19.11.2010 - 18:00
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Sword_Chant on 19.11.2010 at 17:34

Since when did recording gear mean a good album is made? What about good black metal? Most of their quality is shit but sometimes it makes the album all the more interesting and awesome.

Bit of a dumb analogy. I agree that recording gear doesnt make an album good/bad but the blackmetal comparison is stupid. Because blackmetal is supposed to sound like shit and most of the time it does. But obviously Wintersun wants a little more out of their recording for this album, especially with all the instrumentation (apparently) planned for the album. So I think proper gear is more important to them than for some blackmetal band.

If Wintersun recorded and album that sounded like it was made in some obscure forest, practically inaudible instruments and static then it wouldnt make any sense.
19.11.2010 - 22:20
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Doc G. on 19.11.2010 at 03:26

Wintersun news is always good for the lulz.

Just what I thought when I saw this news mah friend hahaha

Seriously, who are they kidding? Themselves?
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
19.11.2010 - 23:28
amarchand

LOL. Makes it interesting and awesome eh? Obscured audio quality = more awesomness!!! Not being able to hear actual notes = more awesomeness!!! For Wintersun this would sound fucking terrible. They're not black metal to begin wtih.
19.11.2010 - 23:55
jdsony
Cut him some slack. I'm not sure if he has a side job but Wintersun is not a big band. Most local metal bands I know have day jobs and then spend most of their money on tours & gear. It's not an easy life especially if you want to focus on the music and forget about working at the grocery store. It's easy for me to say I can afford a new computer every month buy my cost of living is low, and instead of following my dream I work at a desk all day.
20.11.2010 - 00:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by amarchand on 19.11.2010 at 23:28

LOL. Makes it interesting and awesome eh? Obscured audio quality = more awesomness!!! Not being able to hear actual notes = more awesomeness!!! For Wintersun this would sound fucking terrible. They're not black metal to begin wtih.

You totally read that wrong. I'm pretty sure he was using Black metal as an example. Secondly, rougher recording really works for a lot of music, and frankly, Wintersun probably wouldn't sound so Goddamned boring if they left a few rough edges instead of making music that sounds stifled from being way too over polished.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.11.2010 - 01:03
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 19.11.2010 at 18:00

Bit of a dumb analogy. I agree that recording gear doesnt make an album good/bad but the blackmetal comparison is stupid. Because blackmetal is supposed to sound like shit and most of the time it does. But obviously Wintersun wants a little more out of their recording for this album, especially with all the instrumentation (apparently) planned for the album. So I think proper gear is more important to them than for some blackmetal band.

If Wintersun recorded and album that sounded like it was made in some obscure forest, practically inaudible instruments and static then it wouldnt make any sense.

I find it funny when I read people saying that "Black Metal sounds like shit and you can't hear the instruments". My opinion is all you need is to get used to it. The sound is only different, in my mind, not crappy. I can hear the instruments well enough for my tastes and, in general, the sound is the way I like it to be.
Some bands might sound as they lack polish but I prefer this a hundred times to a polished sound. A raw, unpolished sound has the quality to be 'alive', to touch you and give emotions. An overpolished sound is lifeless, emotionless and, in the end, boring.

I understand that not everyone will agree but that's the way metal sound works for me. I would add that burying the drums a bit helps hearing guitar riffs and, imo, BM succeeds at this more than any other genre. Generally, drums are an annoyance in metal nowadays because they're recorded way too loud compared to other instruments. We didn't have this problem in the 80s. It all started in the 90s.
I fucking hate drums in Powermetal, especially. Not only that they're recorded way too much over everything but they're repetitive, generic and original - a very bad combination that makes so many bands sound like each other.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody

Hits total: 8078 | This month: 14