Metal Storm logo
Forest Of Shadows

Original post

Posted by Anathemani@c, 31.08.2006 - 11:40
Yesterday I downloaded their "Where dreams turn to dust" ep and I was really amazed by the atmosphere they achieve.. Funeral, atmospheric doom metal is their style.. Or that's how I would subscribe it.. If you know them, let me see what you think of them and what which alboum would you suggest me...
30.08.2009 - 17:03
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by IllOmenNation on 29.08.2009 at 22:15

I have talked back and forth with the dude from FoS a few times. I enjoyed some stuff from them and have used it in one of my film projects.

in a short movie?
30.08.2009 - 22:43
IllOmenNation

In an animation, more episodic in nature. I haven't premiered it yet.
----
Ill Omen Nation - Great Finnish/Scandinavian Metal! http://www.myspace.com/illomennation
12.10.2009 - 05:48
the stranger

I have heard the last album many times now. It's good. It is what you could expect from the direction Niclas was taking when Micce left the band and he released Departure all by himself. Selfdestructive is the only one that stands out for itself. The rest of songs are good, that one is brilliant.
17.10.2009 - 01:02
FOOCK Nam

I dont know for sure but Forest Of Shadows to me is the most original doom band I have listened ever. All other doom bands I find them mostly big influenced from other bigger ones or even rip-off and generic to the whole genre.
17.10.2009 - 06:42
the stranger

Well, saying that it is the most original doom band is far from the truth. I'm a huge fan of Forest Of Shadows and they're not absolutely original. They have huge influence from early Katatonia. The thing is that they(he) use elements already used but worked them out far better than most bands.
17.10.2009 - 20:59
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by the stranger on 17.10.2009 at 06:42

Well, saying that it is the most original doom band is far from the truth. I'm a huge fan of Forest Of Shadows and they're not absolutely original. They have huge influence from early Katatonia. The thing is that they(he) use elements already used but worked them out far better than most bands.

the word "they" is a little useless for "forest of shadows". once it was prural for a few time but not now. and for me its an absolute original band and to be honest a Death/Doom metal band. maybe a little like any doom band ! but cant say that its a copy of early katatonia, its very different man.
17.10.2009 - 21:10
InnerSelf
proofread free
I only listened to their song "Eternal Autumn"
but will surely get the whole discography soon
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
17.10.2009 - 21:53
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 17.10.2009 at 21:10

be quick cuase as I see you are a fan of Saturnus too!
17.10.2009 - 22:07
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 17.10.2009 at 21:53

A big big big fan
I was told that Forest of Shadows is a band that I will enjoy
so I will hurry
----
is not bold enough
17.10.2009 - 22:13
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 17.10.2009 at 22:07

A big big big fan
so I will hurry

I add another! "Empyrium" try them for sure.
17.10.2009 - 22:15
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 17.10.2009 at 22:13

A big big big fan
so I will hurry

Empyrium are one of the best
very classy
and I might add My Dying Bride
----
is not bold enough
17.10.2009 - 22:19
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 17.10.2009 at 22:15

A big big big fan
so I will hurry

very classy

try hmmm lol first album by "Forest Stream" and all about "Godgory".
18.10.2009 - 05:01
the stranger

Written by Guest on 17.10.2009 at 20:59

the word "they" is a little useless for "forest of shadows". once it was prural for a few time but not now. and for me its an absolute original band and to be honest a Death/Doom metal band. maybe a little like any doom band ! but cant say that its a copy of early katatonia, its very different man.

Considering that the best work of Forest Of Shadows is Where Dreams Turn To Dust, I think that it makes senses to name as "they". I never said it's a copy of early katatonia, I said they have a huge influence and you can tell. It's original, but not absolutely. As I said they use elements presents in other bands but work them out perfectly or almost perfectly in the lastest albums while most bands fail miserably.
18.10.2009 - 11:43
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 17.10.2009 at 22:19

Written by InnerSelf on 17.10.2009 at 22:15

A big big big fan
so I will hurry

very classy

try hmmm lol first album by "Forest Stream" and all about "Godgory".

Godgory are indeed a nice band
And I will surely try Forest Stream's album soon
----
is not bold enough
19.10.2009 - 20:37
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by the stranger on 18.10.2009 at 05:01

Written by Guest on 17.10.2009 at 20:59

Considering that the best work of Forest Of Shadows is Where Dreams Turn To Dust, I think that it makes senses to name as "they". I never said it's a copy of early katatonia, I said they have a huge influence and you can tell. It's original, but not absolutely. As I said they use elements presents in other bands but work them out perfectly or almost perfectly in the lastest albums while most bands fail miserably.

to be honest I cant see any black metal elements in "where dreams turn to dust" album. but katatonia's early works smell black man!
19.10.2009 - 21:09
Ragana
Rawrcat
Funny, I'm currently listening to Forest Of Shadows. Haven't heard the band for a long time - I guess, I didn't feel that way for some time at all.
I think there's nothing much of the doom I tend to listen to. Of course, it's kinda sad, grievous, melancholic and shit but it's very soft and easy. VERY melodic. However, it's fine with me. I definitely wouldn't say the band is original or what but it's listenable. I know nothing about Forest Of Shadows' similarities with Katatonia - I haven't listened to the earliest works of Katatonia, and the latest albums obviously don't sound alike Forest Of Shadows. Hm.
13.12.2009 - 02:02
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
Written by Anathemani@c on 31.08.2006 at 11:40

Yesterday I downloaded their "Where dreams turn to dust" ep and I was really amazed by the atmosphere they achieve.. Funeral, atmospheric doom metal is their style.. Or that's how I would subscribe it.. If you know them, let me see what you think of them and what which alboum would you suggest me...

Well, hold on to that EP strong cause that is definitely their best release up to date. I consider it to be even much better than departure (which was a great album by itself). The song WISH from "Where dreams turn to dust" is to this date their best music piece IMO.
----
13.12.2009 - 02:05
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
Written by Ragana on 19.10.2009 at 21:09

I know nothing about Forest Of Shadows' similarities with Katatonia - I haven't listened to the earliest works of Katatonia, and the latest albums obviously don't sound alike Forest Of Shadows. Hm.

Oh, be sure there are TONS of Katatonia (old Katatonia) influences in Forest of Shadows. Im sure you will hear them clear as the day if you listen to Katatonias old stuff.
----
13.12.2009 - 03:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Azhidahak on 13.12.2009 at 02:05

Oh, be sure there are TONS of Katatonia (old Katatonia) influences in Forest of Shadows. Im sure you will hear them clear as the day if you listen to Katatonias old stuff.

I agree, I can hear some guitar leads that makes me think of Dance Of December Souls
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.12.2009 - 03:56
the stranger

Written by Azhidahak on 13.12.2009 at 02:02

Written by Anathemani@c on 31.08.2006 at 11:40

Well, hold on to that EP strong cause that is definitely their best release up to date. I consider it to be even much better than departure (which was a great album by itself). The song WISH from "Where dreams turn to dust" is to this date their best music piece IMO.

Agreed, the EP is their best work to date. But it is only slightly better than Of Sorrow Blue, which is slightly better than Eternal Autumn.
13.12.2009 - 03:59
the stranger

Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.12.2009 at 03:17

Written by Azhidahak on 13.12.2009 at 02:05

I agree, I can hear some guitar leads that makes me think of Dance Of December Souls

Finally, some people that also get what I was saying. I started to think that there was something wrong with my ears because it seemed that nobody else found the influence of Katatonia on Forest Of Shadows.
I have just wondered, does anybody here knows what Micce Anderson is doing this days?