02. Flatliners
03. Death From Above
04. T-1
05. Napalm Jacket
06. Death Count
07. The Warlord
08. Voices of the Dead
09. Metal Ride

People keep complaining about the metal scene nowadays, and why shouldn't they, I'm actually one of them. The thing is, I think we're just not looking in the right places; there's tons of good metal waiting to be discovered out there, you just have to stop digging in the trendy pile with the big labels and huge middle names. Today I'm trying to guide you towards the fucked up side once again, today it's Mortor who will knock your teeth out?

So well, before raising the name of Mortor, let me first say this is a "brand new" band (so to speak). It's just a bunch of crazy heads that thought it would be cool to play as loud and as fast as they possibly can, yeah, just like in the old metal days. Of course, they sound heavily influenced by bands like Sodom and the likes, and they do show it relentlessly (there's even that "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" audio clip from the movie "Apocalypse Now"), but at least these Canadian sickos play their guts out no strings attached.

Metal Ride it's a bludgeoning attack that caught me off guard; yes, it's an independent debut, but damn those guys can really fucking play. The vocal assault ripped me to pieces to be honest, and the music barely gives you air to breathe; my complain would be in the songwriting though, as showcasing your capabilities by sounding just like that famous band you love, it's just not really a smart move. This band has huge potential; I just hope they stop listening to their dusty vinyl collection and start writing material to fuck newcomers minds, I don't want to sound cocky at all, but to me it just sounds like they are trying hard to please the audience before pleasing themselves?but that's just me thinking?

I barely listen to metal nowadays, not because I don't have what it takes anymore, but it was hard enough to see bands like Cryptopsy and Aborted sellout while discovering that even bands like Gorgoroth and Marduk were 100% money driven. I just discovered that I prefer listening to independent bands like Mortor, which are still doing this for fun rather than gold, and that I just can't bear the fact that Metal became the nicest trend for the whole family.

Highlights: "Metal Ride", "Death From Above"

Written by Herzebeth | 20.11.2010

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 108 users
21.11.2010 - 16:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Quote:
I prefer listening to independent bands like Mortor, which are still doing this for fun rather than gold, and that I just can't bear the fact that Metal became the nicest trend for the whole family.

Aaaaaaaaand, that's why Doom metal will always be the best for me
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.11.2010 - 17:28
vezzy
Stallmanite
Hurray for Herz.

I didn't receive too much info on the music though, but I just *might* check this out.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
25.11.2010 - 23:52
yosterdude

Thanks Herz for reviewing my band's first album
----
Stay Br00tal!
04.12.2010 - 21:55
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by yosterdude on 25.11.2010 at 23:52

wow we actually have members of a featured band here who actually respond...\m/...this is good review...im gonna have to get my hands on this one...sounds bad ass...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

05.12.2010 - 01:02
RavenKing

"I barely listen to metal nowadays, not because I don't have what it takes anymore, but it was hard enough to see bands like Cryptopsy and Aborted sellout while discovering that even bands like Gorgoroth and Marduk were 100% money driven. I just discovered that I prefer listening to independent bands like Mortor, which are still doing this for fun rather than gold, and that I just can't bear the fact that Metal became the nicest trend for the whole family. "

I still listen to metal a lot but mostly 80s-90s stuff. I think metal in general sucks nowadays. And I have little respect for the current scene, for similar reasons as the ones you mentioned.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
29.12.2010 - 23:25
yosterdude

Written by psykometal on 04.12.2010 at 21:55

Written by yosterdude on 25.11.2010 at 23:52

wow we actually have members of a featured band here who actually respond...\m/...this is good review...im gonna have to get my hands on this one...sounds bad ass...

Tell me what you think of it once you've listened to it!!!
----
Stay Br00tal!
17.01.2011 - 01:05
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Didn't know you uploaded another review Herz, I'll check this album as soon as possible, sounds like something I could enjoy a lot. And again, Metal is not dead, you just have to search in the right places
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
17.01.2011 - 01:05
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Didn't know you uploaded another review Herz, I'll check this album as soon as possible, sounds like something I could enjoy a lot. And again, Metal is not dead, you just have to search in the right places
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
24.04.2015 - 23:24
Rating: 8
Guib
Thrash Talker
Well Mortor Is indeed fucking badass Saw them couple times along with there brethren Insurrection...
Not sure what they're up to nowadays though, I think they split...
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here

Hits total: 4019 | This month: 6