Metal Storm logo
Thrash will never die

28.11.2010 - 11:54
Klar
As we know we don't find pure thrash like before
Thrash kicked off in the early eighties with bands like Metallica Anthrax Slayer Megadeth Testament Flotsam & Jetsam Exodus Destruction Sodom ...etc
we know in the 90s Grunge killed the majority of thrash bands
but thrash is back with new bands like Merciless Death, Bonded By Blood ,Wabringer, Violator....etc
what do you think about these band ?
do you think thrash is back whith old school stuff?
check some of these bands out via Myspace or their websites
28.11.2010 - 12:09
Horus
Violator. Damn, love them
28.11.2010 - 12:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I remember all the zines' in the early 90's saying that thrash was "dead". And in a sense, that was true. Most of the smaller thrash bands just dissolved, whilst most of the bigger ones changed their sounds. Although by the mid 90's, bands like Overkill and Testament reverted back to thrash. But at that point, thrash was no longer popular, and it got pushed underground. It seems like over the past few years, thrash has made a commercial resurgence. Some of the smaller bands who split up in the face grunge started reforming, and many of the bigger acts reverted back to their thrash styles. Funny how things seem to happen in cycles...

I have yet to hear a new thrash band that is as good as the best old school bands. Out of the bands you've listed, Ive heard Bonded By Blood and Warbringer, but not the other 2. lol This year, there has been some amazing thrash releases by the old guard, Heathen, Overkill, Sodom, Forbidden, and the new Exodus was pretty decent too. xD
28.11.2010 - 12:24
Klar
Yeah that's right and the new exodus was fuckin good
28.11.2010 - 13:22
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I dont now what the future of thrash and metal will be (i hope it will be good of course) but i know what the present of thrash is: VEKTOR! nothing more to add. this IS thrash.....
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
28.11.2010 - 14:43
JD
Account deleted
Written by Klar on 28.11.2010 at 11:54

No Alice in Chains and Nirvana did
28.11.2010 - 15:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 28.11.2010 at 14:43

Well mainstreem bands disapread, those who was underground survive and even if didnt wont survive anyway ... and stupid metallica and such bands also anthrax changed so badly that Nirvana and AIC plays much better muisc beck then anyway
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.11.2010 - 16:13
Klar
I don't care about what anthrax or metallica play now
And i think thrash is back with bands like Wabringer and Violator

28.11.2010 - 16:36
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted

Well, maybe just Nirvana. AiC sounded way more Metal than any of them.
28.11.2010 - 17:26
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.11.2010 at 16:36

Well, maybe just Nirvana. AiC sounded way more Metal than any of them.

You should watch Get Trashed the documentary, when AiC opened a consert instead of Death Angel for Slayer, Anthrax am not sure who, but that was the day when Thrash metal died.
28.11.2010 - 17:28
RafaRata
Angelus Apatrida is fucking sick, probably the best Revival Thrash band.
28.11.2010 - 18:38
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I think it was a degree of stagnation coupled with the rise of both Grunge and Death Metal which helped "kill" thrash.

by the early 90s it seems most bands of significance had hit their creative peak, grunge took away some of the glom-on fans (as well as label focus) and DM provided something that took thrash and went even more extreme.

it was also "pre-internet" (well widespread availability and use thereof), so word of mouth was not remotely where it was today to keep things moving and in some spotlight.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.11.2010 - 18:39
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guest on 28.11.2010 at 17:26

You should watch Get Trashed the documentary, when AiC opened a consert instead of Death Angel for Slayer, Anthrax am not sure who, but that was the day when Thrash metal died.

that was just whining from some bands because other bands didn't pick them up to tour with them. the same point was also made to the effect of why pick an opener that will overshadow you?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.11.2010 - 19:30
gorguts
I never enjoyed listening to thrash
29.11.2010 - 02:45
Anarchy2012
Ive always been a fan of death metal and black metal, but anyone who claims to be a metal fan should pay there proper respect to thrash. If more metalheads understood this than thrash never would have faded in the first place. Although thrash may be seeing a resurgence, i think the next generation of metal fans will never accept thrash. Its the sad, sad thruth.
----
Im not racist. I hate everyone regardless of other issues.
29.11.2010 - 03:52
Klar
Written by Anarchy2012 on 29.11.2010 at 02:45

Ive always been a fan of death metal and black metal, but anyone who claims to be a metal fan should pay there proper respect to thrash. If more metalheads understood this than thrash never would have faded in the first place. Although thrash may be seeing a resurgence, i think the next generation of metal fans will never accept thrash. Its the sad, sad thruth.

i agree with you every metal fan should respect thrash becuse thrash metal is directly responsible for the offshoot of popular underground metal genres, such as death metal and black metal
but who said next generation of metal fans will never accept thrash . thrash never will be dead
29.11.2010 - 03:55
Klar
Thrash will never be dead
29.11.2010 - 23:57
Nardor

I'm seventeen and I love thrash! There will always be thrashers!!!
30.11.2010 - 02:47
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
I see a revival of Metal and especially Thrash where I am from. I see a lot of kids wearing "Thrash Uniforms" walking home from school and taking the bus. Kids nowadays are embarrassed to be associated with the popular music of today like "Biever" "Gaga" "Drake" "Lil Wayne" all seem to be products of the industry. Reminds me of that Pop vs Rock, Mainstream vs Underground when I was growing up.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
30.11.2010 - 17:03
JD
Account deleted
What about Pantera no one has mentioned them in this forum, after the "Death and Grunge" in the 90's Pantera back with the groove\thrash metal, and many bands came after them.
30.11.2010 - 20:49
Guib
Thrash Talker

What ?!!

No way man, I've stopped listening to thrash for maybe a year... and then I discovered something that totally hooked me back to it
Municipal Waste and Toxic Holocaust... so don't say the next generation won't accept thrash that just ain't true ! What more can u ask from a Metal band than Boogie board Crowd surfin !!! LOL
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
02.12.2010 - 05:45
Anarchy2012
Written by Guib on 30.11.2010 at 20:49

What ?!!

No way man, I've stopped listening to thrash for maybe a year... and then I discovered something that totally hooked me back to it
Municipal Waste and Toxic Holocaust... so don't say the next generation won't accept thrash that just ain't true ! What more can u ask from a Metal band than Boogie board Crowd surfin !!! LOL

Thats cool that SOME younger metalheads like thrash, but i hear so many kids bashing Megadeth and Slayer that it makes me think the majority of young metal fans have no respect for thrash.
----
Im not racist. I hate everyone regardless of other issues.
02.12.2010 - 07:36
Zuzuz0r
Written by Anarchy2012 on 02.12.2010 at 05:45

Written by Guib on 30.11.2010 at 20:49

What ?!!

Thats cool that SOME younger metalheads like thrash, but i hear so many kids bashing Megadeth and Slayer that it makes me think the majority of young metal fans have no respect for thrash.

In my opinion, Thrash Metal has to be one of the most respected metal genres, at least in my experience with metalheads in real life, and a large number of them worship Megadeth and Slayer, and will bash you if you don't like them or if you don't give a shit about them. I rather hear them bashing genres like Death Metal or Black Metal(this one, being a major bashing target).
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
02.12.2010 - 23:34
wormdrink414
Elite
Its not even close to being dead. As long as people still bust out the Reign in Blood, bands like Toxic Holocaust continue to bang on their instruments, and beer is available at nearly every convenience store, thrash will survive. Its obviously not as popular, and can't possibly make as much money as it did in the eighties, but grandpa isn't dead yet. He's just in an old people's home.
03.12.2010 - 01:38
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by wormdrink414 on 02.12.2010 at 23:34

Its not even close to being dead. As long as people still bust out the Reign in Blood, bands like Toxic Holocaust continue to bang on their instruments, and beer is available at nearly every convenience store, thrash will survive. Its obviously not as popular, and can't possibly make as much money as it did in the eighties, but grandpa isn't dead yet. He's just in an old people's home.

And anyways why would they want to make more money really... its the kind of genre that is better Under the deep ground IMO obviously. If they start being bigger their heads gonna have the same metamorphosis and their music will stagnate

If you're in it for the money... you're out of it musically
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
03.12.2010 - 02:14
obliscence
I grew up on 80's thrash and am having a pretty hard time finding much new stuff I find at all interesting. Evil Army is good, but I found Toxic Holocaust, Municiple Waste, Hatchet, Ghoul, Bonded by Blood ect all pretty mediocre. It all just sounds like it is going through the motions and emulating their hereo's, while in the 80's everyone was trying to carve out a unique sound and go a step beyond each other. Even though I am not to into the new stuff, I admit it is pretty popular in the underground around here. A month or two they had a two day fest with most of the bands I just listed and a bunch more and they got nearly 1000 people to show up each day, whereas if you had a show with like that with black or death metal bands you would probably get half the crowd.
06.12.2010 - 18:04
Hail to Thrash Metal

Keep Thrashing Metal Heads I Love Megadeth Band
and I hope it to keep thrashing

Thanks Syrian Metal Fan
07.12.2010 - 03:05
The Turbanator
Right. I'm a massive black metal fan. And now I think I'll give thrash a listen.

Any bands you'd recommend? A good thrash band that will make me go ":-O what the fuck have I been missing for all this years?"

P.S I also listen to Mastodon.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
07.12.2010 - 17:45
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by The Turbanator on 07.12.2010 at 03:05

Right. I'm a massive black metal fan. And now I think I'll give thrash a listen.

Any bands you'd recommend? A good thrash band that will make me go ":-O what the fuck have I been missing for all this years?"

P.S I also listen to Mastodon.

Glad to see a fellow Mastodon fan
And for the recommendation... well if you wanna try more modern Thrash Metal, I'd suggest you go with Toxic Holocaust, Bonded By Blood and Violater... they're Great also Municipal Waste all incredible bands
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
07.12.2010 - 19:41
Kennoth
Thrash has always been a huge snorefest for me.

Now progressive thrash on the other hand...
----
*insert something deep and profound*