Metal Storm logo
The next great metal singers

29.11.2010 - 08:51
Whoblehwah

In metal there is many great and talented vocalist. Guys like Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson, Eric Adams, and Ronnie James Dio. These guys are well known for their incredible voices and vocal range. Listening to more modern bands I haven't really found anyone who stands out to me as being on this level of singing. Is their any great singers like these out there nowadays?

Personally I like Rody Walker from Protest The Hero and James P. Luna from White Wizzard, but they're not even close to the other guys I mentioned.
29.11.2010 - 10:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Here are some modern vocalists who are very talented and great: xD

Jorn Lande (Masterplan, Solo)
Russ Anderson (Forbidden) Note: Forbidden arent really a modern band, but havent been around for a long time. Their latest comeback album proves beyond doubt that Russ is in the top tier of metal vocalists! xD
Warrel Dane (Nevermore)
Russell Allen (Symphony X, Allen/Lande)
Jo Amore (Nightmare)
Tobias Sammet (Edguy, Avantasia)
Ralf Scheepers (Gamma Ray, Primal Fear)
Andy B. Frank (Brainstorm, Symphorce)
Tim Owens (Judas Priest, Iced Earth, Beyond Fear, Solo, Charred Walls Of The Damned)
Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian, Demons & Wizards)
Edu Falaschi (Angra, Almah)
Yama B (Galneryus)
Timo Kotipelto (Stratovarius)
29.11.2010 - 12:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.11.2010 at 10:58

Here are some modern vocalists who are very talented and great: xD

Jorn Lande (Masterplan, Solo)
Russ Anderson (Forbidden) Note: Forbidden arent really a modern band, but havent been around for a long time. Their latest comeback album proves beyond doubt that Russ is in the top tier of metal vocalists! xD
Warrel Dane (Nevermore)
Russell Allen (Symphony X, Allen/Lande)
Jo Amore (Nightmare)
Tobias Sammet (Edguy, Avantasia)
Ralf Scheepers (Gamma Ray, Primal Fear)
Andy B. Frank (Brainstorm, Symphorce)
Tim Owens (Judas Priest, Iced Earth, Beyond Fear, Solo, Charred Walls Of The Damned)
Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian, Demons & Wizards)
Edu Falaschi (Angra, Almah)
Yama B (Galneryus)
Timo Kotipelto (Stratovarius)

all in the list are from old days IMO dude meant new once, like demo bands
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.11.2010 - 12:11
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Bad English on 29.11.2010 at 12:02

Even though the 2 singers from modern bands that he gave examples of aren't demo bands?
29.11.2010 - 12:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.11.2010 at 12:11

Written by Bad English on 29.11.2010 at 12:02

Even though the 2 singers from modern bands that he gave examples of aren't demo bands?

those are big singers, IMO he mean somebdoy who's not famose
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.11.2010 - 12:15
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Bad English on 29.11.2010 at 12:13
those are big singers, IMO he mean somebdoy who's not famose

That doesnt make any sense either, seeing as Protest The Hero are bigger and more widely known than most of the bands I listed... lol
I probably shouldnt have included Hansi or Russ, and maybe even Ralf. But all the others are legitimate. Jorn in particular was more or less unknown until he joined Masterplan. A band which formed a couple of years after Protest The Hero. And most of the other bands I listed only formed about 3 or 4 years before PTH, so they arent old at all. lol
29.11.2010 - 21:48
Whoblehwah

Well..... basically what I meant was people in bands that have formed in the 2000s I guess. Something to that effect.

Also your previous post reminds me that I have to check out Masterplan. I heard some of their stuff on youtube a while back and I remember enjoying it, but I never got around to checking out any of their albums.
03.12.2010 - 22:27
arwestromen

Daniel Heiman ex Lost Horizon, ex Heed, Lavett makes great high pitch screams
Johnny Lindqvist - Nocturnal Rites....quite powerfull voice
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
06.12.2010 - 08:34
Kratos

Roberto Liapakis from Mystic Prophecy has one really cool and powerful voice. Also fits the music really well, imo. Aya of UnSun also has a really catchy clean female voice. This is all I can think of, atm.
06.12.2010 - 14:46
Alena

Valeriy Kipelov from heavy-metal band "Kipelov" is one of my favorite clean voices, very melodious and strong.
07.12.2010 - 06:21
Susan
Smeghead
It's fun to speculate on this sort of thing. Only time will tell, though. A singer might show great promise today and either quit metal, or develop bad technique, or just fail to grow and improve. Meanwhile an average singer with lots of heart might grow into an epic name over time.

I love Atle Pettersen from Aspera (Norwegian prog band). Their debut album Ripples was most impressive this year. His voice is classic in style and texture, even reminding me of some other prog singers, but at the same time he is very diverse in his technique and I can see him really setting himself apart in future albums. Enjoyable now, amazing later? We'll see.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
07.12.2010 - 06:45
Wyrd

Jonas Heidgert from Dragonland has looks to be shaping into a vocal god with amazing mystical voice from the stars. He's what Timo Kotipelto wishes he was (IMO)
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
07.12.2010 - 07:00
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Wyrd on 07.12.2010 at 06:45

Jonas Heidgert from Dragonland has looks to be shaping into a vocal god with amazing mystical voice from the stars. He's what Timo Kotipelto wishes he was (IMO)

Haha I must have a listen then :p
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
10.12.2010 - 04:52
Wyrd

Written by Susan on 07.12.2010 at 07:00

Written by Wyrd on 07.12.2010 at 06:45

Haha I must have a listen then :p

I promise you won't regret it! If I may, I recommend you listen to Bethovens Nightmare or Too late for Sorrow to hear his great voice in full action.
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
12.12.2010 - 04:26
Numbskull

Sean Peck of Cage (the dude has power, range, and great vocal dex)
13.12.2010 - 08:03
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
If were gonna go with just 2000s bands...

Wyatt Anderson of White Wizzard and Iuri Sanson of Hibria, some very promising power metal vocalists. Too bad Wyatt left White Wizzard though.

And go ahead and flame me for bringing up Alter Bridge, but I think Myles Kennedy is a pretty good singer too. And he's not as big of a douche as Axel Rose but is probably just as talented as him, so he was a pretty good choice for Slash's singer IMO.
13.12.2010 - 08:41
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Ida Haukland of Triosphere.

Just straight up melodic metal vocals, no extreme growls, no operatic or gothic touches, and done with class and depth.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
16.12.2010 - 21:45
ForeverDarkWoods

White Wizzard's got nothing on Cauldron. Even though their vocal style is quite special and not everyone's cup of tea.

I like it a lot though.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America