08. The Lines In My Hand
09. Folklore
10. Marrow Of The Earth
11. Pyre [DVD bonus]
12. Face In The Snow [DVD bonus]

The Biggest Surprise Of 2011
Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Written and produced by Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Mixed by Steven Wilson and Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Engineered by Jens Borgen.
Mastered by Peter Mew at Abbey Road Studios.

"Slither" is a tribute to Ronnie James Dio.

Artwork by Travis Smith.

DVD contains a 5.1 mix of entire album, a "making of" documentary, and a card to download the bonus tracks Pyre and Face In The Snow.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The general consensus when a great band dares to move away from their original Death Metal sound is usually not positive. However Opeth have done it before masterfully with Damnation in 2003. They are back at it with one of the year's most anticipated albums, Heritage.

Cutting to the chase: Compared to their previous releases, Heritage lacks character. Despite the song structures being very progressive rock and the vocals being crazy good, the absence of catchy guitar riffs or memorable growls is a downer. One can positively recognize Opeth as the artist, especially since a lot of the songs borrow tidbits straight from the Ghost Reveries period. Certainly they manage to perpetuate a dark atmosphere throughout the album, but the mellowness of the whole thing is borderline irritating to someone expecting their trademark sound. I know we have been forewarned by Mikael Åkerfeldt himself about this being a throwback kind of release. Still, I believe this would be either catchier or more aggressive. Nevertheless the album does feature good moments, mostly from the jazz-infused portions of the songs.

Read more ››
published 20.09.2011 | Comments (134)

Guest review by
SauradipGhosh
Rating:
Heritage poses more questions than answers. Have Opeth reached a creative cul-de-sac? Have they chucked their "Extreme Progressive Death Metal" for good? Have they finally shed their "Underground Garage Band" (I am quoting Akerfeldt from an earlier interview) and have ventured out into the Pantheon of the "mainstream" Gods from their hallowed underground temple so frequented by hordes of reverent worshipers?

Read more ››
published 29.05.2012 | Comments (32)

Found in 84 lists
Top lists

Comments page 11 / 18

Comments: 520   Visited by: 3052 users
19.09.2011 - 04:41
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Guest on 19.09.2011 at 00:46

Written by annodomini on 04.09.2011 at 23:46

Iam not a fan of Opeth, I have lsitened to all their albumas just for few times, but I found Heritage the best album in their discography. If you are a metalhead, than you will hate it, but for more openminded person this is a jewel, i Even wish, that there was even less metal in it. Pure perfection. Folklore is something from another world.

Fuck you and the straw man you rode in on.

Extremely spiritual...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
19.09.2011 - 05:07
Hammer Pie
Written by Guest on 19.09.2011 at 00:46

Written by annodomini on 04.09.2011 at 23:46

Iam not a fan of Opeth, I have lsitened to all their albumas just for few times, but I found Heritage the best album in their discography. If you are a metalhead, than you will hate it, but for more openminded person this is a jewel, i Even wish, that there was even less metal in it. Pure perfection. Folklore is something from another world.

Fuck you and the straw man you rode in on.
He feels the pain.

In his brain.

Insane.
19.09.2011 - 12:28
Rating: 8
Zhao
The Arkaholic
I like this album. It's great, just not a masterpiece.
19.09.2011 - 16:45
Rating: 2
Deefer46
Can't say how disappointed I am with this album, Though its clearly Opeth doing what they do, it lacks any kind of 'ooomph'. As far as Opeth go its bog-standard at best. Sorry, but its a very average effort.
20.09.2011 - 16:37
theregnar
Account deleted
Sounds like an hour long jamming lesson...
20.09.2011 - 17:09
Rating: 7
Vonpire
I think it's an ok album. Nothing special though. Next.
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
21.09.2011 - 02:43
Rating: 6
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Evil Chip on 18.09.2011 at 00:55

Prog rockers seem to accept everything as long as it is prog rock, experimental and "sophisticated".

It is a very common attitude for fans of this kind of music to have, and honestly, (for the most part) I think it's wonderful. Most prog fans I meet are laid-back and have very down-to-earth views on not just progressive music, but all music. Much nicer than the annoying metal head douche mentality. I mean, I LOVE to rock as much as the next guy, but I find typical "metalheads" are pretty annoying and EXTREMELY fickle. >_>

Anyway, I didn't like this album as much as I thought I would, but I found it very solid and relaxing. Folklore (regardless of its silly lyrics) is a beautiful piece. :3 Certainly my favorite off of this one.
21.09.2011 - 23:26
Regolith
I love Opeth and I always will, but I have to respectfully say that I don't like this album. There are parts that are cool but the whole thing is just too spacey. By the time the fifth track comes around I'm thinking, "...Is there going to be a single, identifiable melody here? Something to grab hold of?" But there isn't. Don't get me wrong, I respect the prog-ness, I just don't dig it like this. In the end it's sitll Opeth and they are who they are, but I sincerly hope their next album gets the 'uumph' back.
22.09.2011 - 13:04
Rating: 2
Deefer46
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 21.09.2011 at 02:43

Written by Evil Chip on 18.09.2011 at 00:55

Prog rockers seem to accept everything as long as it is prog rock, experimental and "sophisticated".

It is a very common attitude for fans of this kind of music to have, and honestly, (for the most part) I think it's wonderful. Most prog fans I meet are laid-back and have very down-to-earth views on not just progressive music, but all music. Much nicer than the annoying metal head douche mentality. I mean, I LOVE to rock as much as the next guy, but I find typical "metalheads" are pretty annoying and EXTREMELY fickle. >_>

Anyway, I didn't like this album as much as I thought I would, but I found it very solid and relaxing. Folklore (regardless of its silly lyrics) is a beautiful piece. :3 Certainly my favorite off of this one.

I'm a massive prog/prog metal/metal fan, and I don't just accept anything. If some albums are sub-standard then I'll say so. Sorry, but IMO Opeth dropped the ball on this album.
22.09.2011 - 20:17
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Deefer46 on 22.09.2011 at 13:04

I'm a massive prog/prog metal/metal fan, and I don't just accept anything. If some albums are sub-standard then I'll say so. Sorry, but IMO Opeth dropped the ball on this album.

Never said I accepted *everything*. Just not stubborn or fickle when it comes to music. I don't *anyone* can like or accept absolutely. The point is that prog fans seem to be more accepting of change, surprises and have strong appreciation and understanding for great musicianship, regardless if they really like the music or not. You think they dropped the ball on this one, giving it an "average" rating. I would guess that although you didn't like it, you did not rate it as "not good" or "bad", because the music overall is clearly not such things.
23.09.2011 - 01:49
Theberzerker
THis is a badass album, cant stand this...
23.09.2011 - 01:51
Rating: 8
AdamArmour
I really like it. It's certainly not my favorite Opeth album, but I've been listening to it non-stop for the last couple of days, and when I'm not listening to it, I find myself singing bits and pieces of songs from it. It's definitely a "grower."

Not that it really affects me one way or the other, but I think it's really shitty the way people are heckling Opeth during their lives shows, bitching about the lack of death metal in this tour's setlist. People need to grow the fuck up. It must be tough to be an artist and go out on a limb; people are so damn unforgiving about that kind of thing.
23.09.2011 - 02:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by AdamArmour on 23.09.2011 at 01:51

Not that it really affects me one way or the other, but I think it's really shitty the way people are heckling Opeth during their lives shows, bitching about the lack of death metal in this tour's setlist. People need to grow the fuck up. It must be tough to be an artist and go out on a limb; people are so damn unforgiving about that kind of thing.

depends upon whether or not the band explicitly made a point of promoting that this tour is going to be only the new album/style... considering they have, what, 8 albums chock full of distortion and growls, it seems that folks should EXPECT some of those songs on the set list. the customers paid their $35 or whatever and if they feel mislead they have every right to voice their displeasure.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
23.09.2011 - 02:10
@gent_-_orange
Written by AdamArmour on 23.09.2011 at 01:51

I really like it. It's certainly not my favorite Opeth album, but I've been listening to it non-stop for the last couple of days, and when I'm not listening to it, I find myself singing bits and pieces of songs from it. It's definitely a "grower."

I agree with this and would never give the band shit when I go to see them but to be fair the band didn't exactly make it clear that they were going to perform this kind of set list, I certainly didn't know that when I ordered 2 tickets to go see them November 9 and im a little dissapointed to be honest. Dont get me wrong I love this band and I know I will enjoy the show but im a bit let down that I know certain songs wont be played
23.09.2011 - 03:00
Opeth=possibly no longer my favorite band.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
23.09.2011 - 11:15
Rating: 5
SMAX
This isn't the Opeth I learned to love. The album personally was a huge disappointment.
23.09.2011 - 12:55
Gurth Bennas
I think in this album, opeth didn't want to play music, they just wanted to talk about their recent discoveries about devil, as we can understand it from their album artwork! a good album for depression and a bad album for headbanging!!
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
23.09.2011 - 17:50
Mike srsly, wtf?
----
25.09.2011 - 02:13
TrollandDie
Hmmmmm....an Opeth album that has a score under 8, let alone not having a 'green' rating, and I'm still not a monkey's uncle.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
25.09.2011 - 07:00
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by gopherhawk2@gmail.co on 23.09.2011 at 03:00

So if they pulled off an Illud Divinum Insanus would... would you kill yourself?

Why some people are getting so upset over an honest piece of music they find disappointing is beyond me.
25.09.2011 - 10:58
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.09.2011 at 07:00

So if they pulled off an Illud Divinum Insanus would... would you kill yourself?

Why some people are getting so upset over an honest piece of music they find disappointing is beyond me.

I didn't say I'd kill myself. If Opeth are going to remain in this direction then none of their material will be worth my time. Listen to Still Life, then this. See what I mean?
----
25.09.2011 - 12:04
JD
Account deleted
I really hate this "Opeth Drama".
25.09.2011 - 13:03
Kenos
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.09.2011 at 12:04

I really hate this "Opeth Drama".

25.09.2011 - 21:38
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by gopherhawk2@gmail.co on 25.09.2011 at 10:58

I didn't say I'd kill myself. If Opeth are going to remain in this direction then none of their material will be worth my time. Listen to Still Life, then this. See what I mean?

Your original post seemed like a good example for what I was getting at though. It's like people's favorite band puts out a disappointing album and they are like, "Oh, well fuck 'em!" It's completely irrational to think like this. But what you've said in your second post, I can understand. You should explained yourself in your first post as such.

And plus, it's not like this album should come as a surprise to ANYONE who checks this site regularly. Sure, they have taken a new direction with their music, but it's not like they half-assed it. To not like it is one thing, but to completely dismiss the band (who has put out many albums) based off of one new album with a different sound and style is fucking ridiculous. Regardless if I like the album or not, *I* can at least appreciate that the band is still CLEARLY making music that they want to make and expressing themselves the way they want to express themselves, all while showing off great musicianship.

Appreciation, something a lot of folks around here seem to have a poor concept of. And look at me ramble. I'm not even *that* into this album or Opeth in general as of late...
25.09.2011 - 21:51
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.09.2011 at 21:38

Written by gopherhawk2@gmail.co on 25.09.2011 at 10:58

Your original post seemed like a good example for what I was getting at though. It's like people's favorite band puts out a disappointing album and they are like, "Oh, well fuck 'em!" It's completely irrational to think like this. But what you've said in your second post, I can understand. You should explained yourself in your first post as such.

And plus, it's not like this album should come as a surprise to ANYONE who checks this site regularly. Sure, they have taken a new direction with their music, but it's not like they half-assed it. To not like it is one thing, but to completely dismiss the band (who has put out many albums) based off of one new album with a different sound and style is fucking ridiculous. Regardless if I like the album or not, *I* can at least appreciate that the band is still CLEARLY making music that they want to make and expressing themselves the way they want to express themselves, all while showing off great musicianship.

Appreciation, something a lot of folks around here seem to have a poor concept of. And look at me ramble. I'm not even *that* into this album or Opeth in general as of late...

I just hope when they come to the Twin Cities with Katatonia that they limit the new stuff in their set. saw them in Omaha for the Watershed tour and half the set was Watershed. 8O
----
25.09.2011 - 22:03
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by gopherhawk2@gmail.co on 25.09.2011 at 21:51

I just hope when they come to the Twin Cities with Katatonia that they limit the new stuff in their set. saw them in Omaha for the Watershed tour and half the set was Watershed. 8O

I read in the review thread that they are playing a lot of stuff from this album or something. :/ Don't quote me on that though.
26.09.2011 - 00:15
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.09.2011 at 22:03

Written by gopherhawk2@gmail.co on 25.09.2011 at 21:51

I read in the review thread that they are playing a lot of stuff from this album or something. :/ Don't quote me on that though.

Well Katatonia is fucking boss so it'll be a good time either way.
----
26.09.2011 - 15:12
John Shock
It's diferent, a bit progjazz! Nothing more than diferent! I like but i don't like! If you guys know what i mean!
26.09.2011 - 17:55
pisymbol
Saw then twice, it was fantastic. However, its completely acoustic with no death growls. They basically play a mix of the lighter stuff with some different arrangements.
26.09.2011 - 20:33
Kenos
Account deleted
Bought it today. The more I listen to it, the more I think it's their best album right after "Morningrise" and "Orchid". Love it.
And fuck "Watershed".

Hits total: 82359 | This month: 89