08. The Lines In My Hand
09. Folklore
10. Marrow Of The Earth
11. Pyre [DVD bonus]
12. Face In The Snow [DVD bonus]

The Biggest Surprise Of 2011
Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Written and produced by Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Mixed by Steven Wilson and Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Engineered by Jens Borgen.
Mastered by Peter Mew at Abbey Road Studios.

"Slither" is a tribute to Ronnie James Dio.

Artwork by Travis Smith.

DVD contains a 5.1 mix of entire album, a "making of" documentary, and a card to download the bonus tracks Pyre and Face In The Snow.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The general consensus when a great band dares to move away from their original Death Metal sound is usually not positive. However Opeth have done it before masterfully with Damnation in 2003. They are back at it with one of the year's most anticipated albums, Heritage.

Cutting to the chase: Compared to their previous releases, Heritage lacks character. Despite the song structures being very progressive rock and the vocals being crazy good, the absence of catchy guitar riffs or memorable growls is a downer. One can positively recognize Opeth as the artist, especially since a lot of the songs borrow tidbits straight from the Ghost Reveries period. Certainly they manage to perpetuate a dark atmosphere throughout the album, but the mellowness of the whole thing is borderline irritating to someone expecting their trademark sound. I know we have been forewarned by Mikael Åkerfeldt himself about this being a throwback kind of release. Still, I believe this would be either catchier or more aggressive. Nevertheless the album does feature good moments, mostly from the jazz-infused portions of the songs.

Read more ››
published 20.09.2011 | Comments (134)

Guest review by
SauradipGhosh
Rating:
Heritage poses more questions than answers. Have Opeth reached a creative cul-de-sac? Have they chucked their "Extreme Progressive Death Metal" for good? Have they finally shed their "Underground Garage Band" (I am quoting Akerfeldt from an earlier interview) and have ventured out into the Pantheon of the "mainstream" Gods from their hallowed underground temple so frequented by hordes of reverent worshipers?

Read more ››
published 29.05.2012 | Comments (32)

Found in 84 lists
Top lists

Comments page 12 / 18

Comments: 520   Visited by: 3052 users
27.09.2011 - 07:20
Hammer Pie
Written by John Shock on 26.09.2011 at 15:12

It's diferent, a bit progjazz! Nothing more than diferent! I like but i don't like! If you guys know what i mean!

I don't, sorry. What do you mean?
27.09.2011 - 08:01
Rating: 10
Quinaitor
I think actually besides the fact of being without any death sounds in here, we are beholding a masterpiece of the music right here. By far the prog album of the year.
----
Metal is flowing through my veins...
27.09.2011 - 08:35
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Quinaitor on 27.09.2011 at 08:01

I think actually besides the fact of being without any death sounds in here, we are beholding a masterpiece of the music right here. By far the prog album of the year.

+1 to this post!

Although I STILL think Haken's album Aquarius is the best prog album of the year...you should check that out....

Still...fuck people being bored by this album...you are witnessing a masterpiece of music here...don't listen to Heritage once and then throw it away....listen to it a bunch of times and really take it in...
27.09.2011 - 08:54
Quinaitor
Written by Guest on 27.09.2011 at 08:35

Written by Quinaitor on 27.09.2011 at 08:01

+1 to this post!

Although I STILL think Haken's album Aquarius is the best prog album of the year...you should check that out....

Still...fuck people being bored by this album...you are witnessing a masterpiece of music here...don't listen to Heritage once and then throw it away....listen to it a bunch of times and really take it in...

On my first hearing I was already blown away... by the fourth time I was in love... Mikael is a great composer.... I will sure check the Haken album
----
Metal is flowing through my veins...
27.09.2011 - 09:30
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Statistics

Total votes: 98
Average rating: 9.15

well... seems most everything blows you away.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.09.2011 - 10:21
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 27.09.2011 at 09:30

Statistics

Total votes: 98
Average rating: 9.15

well... seems most everything blows you away.

Perhaps he only votes for albums which blow him away?
27.09.2011 - 10:28
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by R'Vannith on 27.09.2011 at 10:21

Perhaps he only votes for albums which blow him away?

yeah. that's it. i'm sure.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.09.2011 - 15:08
John Shock
Written by Hammer Pie on 27.09.2011 at 07:20

Written by John Shock on 26.09.2011 at 15:12

It's diferent, a bit progjazz! Nothing more than diferent! I like but i don't like! If you guys know what i mean!

I don't, sorry. What do you mean?

This album has progressive elements with a bit of jazz!
27.09.2011 - 17:57
Rating: 2
Deefer46
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 22.09.2011 at 20:17

Written by Deefer46 on 22.09.2011 at 13:04

I'm a massive prog/prog metal/metal fan, and I don't just accept anything. If some albums are sub-standard then I'll say so. Sorry, but IMO Opeth dropped the ball on this album.

Never said I accepted *everything*. Just not stubborn or fickle when it comes to music. I don't *anyone* can like or accept absolutely. The point is that prog fans seem to be more accepting of change, surprises and have strong appreciation and understanding for great musicianship, regardless if they really like the music or not. You think they dropped the ball on this one, giving it an "average" rating. I would guess that although you didn't like it, you did not rate it as "not good" or "bad", because the music overall is clearly not such things.

I've listened to it several times now, each time hoping that some aspect of 'Heritage' would suddenly kick me in the head and say, this is a great album. Alas, each time has me wondering what the fuck went wrong. This is Opeth trying to be some kind of 80's 'prog' band, and failing wide of any mark. I am really disappointed with Opeth's Heritage, in fact I'll go on to say - its a fucking abomination, its that bad - I revise my rating to 2.
28.09.2011 - 15:52
dr.death
ponderer again
Written by Deefer46 on 27.09.2011 at 17:57

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 22.09.2011 at 20:17

Written by Deefer46 on 22.09.2011 at 13:04

I'm a massive prog/prog metal/metal fan, and I don't just accept anything. If some albums are sub-standard then I'll say so. Sorry, but IMO Opeth dropped the ball on this album.

Never said I accepted *everything*. Just not stubborn or fickle when it comes to music. I don't *anyone* can like or accept absolutely. The point is that prog fans seem to be more accepting of change, surprises and have strong appreciation and understanding for great musicianship, regardless if they really like the music or not. You think they dropped the ball on this one, giving it an "average" rating. I would guess that although you didn't like it, you did not rate it as "not good" or "bad", because the music overall is clearly not such things.

I've listened to it several times now, each time hoping that some aspect of 'Heritage' would suddenly kick me in the head and say, this is a great album. Alas, each time has me wondering what the fuck went wrong. This is Opeth trying to be some kind of 80's 'prog' band, and failing wide of any mark. I am really disappointed with Opeth's Heritage, in fact I'll go on to say - its a fucking abomination, its that bad - I revise my rating to 2.

butthurt
----
hai guys. i'm ponderer. back again. i just cannot quit this site. how pathetic am i?
28.09.2011 - 18:40
Andresopeth
Well, i was willing to post in here since some days ago but just wanted to listen the album a lot, at least enough to form an idea about what to write.

First of all, i think this album couldn't or shouldn't be evaluated like others Opeth's albums, Mike told us about what this album would be, of course it doesn't mean we accept it as a truth, but it does prepare us about what to expect, thinking on that the album is very good, but i feel could have been better, of course under the consideration that the songwriter in who he is, there are a lot of good moments, but there are also moments that seems lacking of energy, specifically in Nepenthe, Häxprocess and Famine, some parts really sounds like a rehearsal with all the messi drumming and it tends to confuse the structure of the song.. There is nothng to say about the technique and mucisianship of the album, but plenty to say about character and energy.

I am not going to fall in things a lot of people fell, which is to comment about this was right or wrong by Opeth, i'm not anyone to say if Opeth took the right choice, i don't have the talent nor the eviroment of those great musics to say anything about their carrer decisions. People like criticism, and never everybody will be on your side, Opeth did what they wanted, they are not waiting for our approval to enter to an studio or to write songs.

I wouldn't top this album, but it is not certainly a bad album, i like The Devil's Orchard, Floklore, Marrow The Earth, The Lines In My Hand, I Feel The Dark and Slither. It has an awesome moments and the highlight of the album is Mike's voices, it is incredibly good and with variations he never tried before thumbs up for him. It is a good way of tribute part of the music that inspired them to be what they are now.

10 to Opeth's effort and originality
8.5 to Heritage itself
28.09.2011 - 19:51
Rating: 6
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by dr.death on 28.09.2011 at 15:52
butthurt

Fanboy.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.09.2011 - 04:51
dr.death
ponderer again
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.09.2011 at 19:51

Written by dr.death on 28.09.2011 at 15:52
butthurt

Fanboy.

Dildouche.
----
hai guys. i'm ponderer. back again. i just cannot quit this site. how pathetic am i?
29.09.2011 - 05:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by dr.death on 29.09.2011 at 04:51
Dildouche.

----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.09.2011 - 18:04
lickmysoul
I appreciate the versatility of bands like opeth, and other great prog bands such as POS, but this modern love for "vintage sound" disappoints me a little bit. this is a good album, but it hasn't the Opethsound that I love
29.09.2011 - 20:38
Regolith
I'm not going to take back my earlier comment (towards the top of this page), but after letting the album sink in (and after getting past the anger of not getting distortion) my attitude about it has changed (for what it's worth to anyone). Hear me out...

I've come to respect this album more and more for one major reason (which hit me after my initial response): In our genre, lads, a lot of the time bands just keep taking more steroids, trying harder, flexing bigger, benching more, throwing another 45-pounder on the bar, etc. But Opeth has set themselves apart from the mash of peacocking that dominates (and ruins) a lot of good bands. With this release they're saying, "We don't need to peacock. We don't need to try harder. We love music, not selling ourselves. We believe in having fun with our instruments, not using them to try to one-up the next guy. Take it or leave it, but this is us."

It's genius. I may not dig the album as much as some of thier earlier stuff, but due to the above reasons I respect them even more.
30.09.2011 - 04:27
dr.death
ponderer again
There's a whole lot of blather about how "shitty" this cd is but very little substance of any worth in regards to what's actually wrong with it, other than a bunch of 25 year old EuroPEENS are butthurt because there's no growling. I thought they'd never come remotely close to the genius of Ghost Reveries but Heritage destroys any and all preconceived notions of what Opeth are "supposed to be" in favor of what's possible. I can't wait to review this as soon as the dipshits are done shitting all over it for no real reason other than they don't understand it.
----
30.09.2011 - 04:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by dr.death on 30.09.2011 at 04:27
I can't wait to review this as soon as the dipshits are done shitting all over it for no real reason other than they don't understand it.

Fuck ya, that'll teach us.
----
30.09.2011 - 05:28
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
As a warning, the bar for fanboi opeth reviews is set mighty high. although someone who thinks a review just shy of "Very Good" is "shitting" on an album is delusional enough that he might be able to challenge for the crown. he's got a puncher's chance.
----

30.09.2011 - 05:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 30.09.2011 at 05:28
As a warning, the bar for fanboi opeth reviews is set mighty high.

Opeth > Mozart
----
30.09.2011 - 07:41
Hammer Pie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.09.2011 at 05:33

Opeth > Mozart

Only one greater-than sign? Why are you shitting all over Opeth?
30.09.2011 - 07:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Hammer Pie on 30.09.2011 at 07:41
Only one greater-than sign? Why are you shitting all over Opeth?

Well by default each letter in the band name equates to a greater than sign...
----
30.09.2011 - 17:36
Rating: 9
EpicMayhem
I wonder is this will be one of those albums everyone doesn't like at first but in a couple years will be a masterpiece...
30.09.2011 - 18:24
dr.death
ponderer again
Written by EpicMayhem on 30.09.2011 at 17:36

I wonder is this will be one of those albums everyone doesn't like at first but in a couple years will be a masterpiece...

Of course. The initial reactions are worthless. The only people bitching are the ones that don't get it. They probably think bands like Gorgoroth and Enslaved are cool too even though neither one of them retains any musical merit whatsoever.

I don't think giving this a 7 or 8 when compared to Ghost Reveries or Deliverance is unjustified at all if you don't like the more progressive side of Opeth, but dropping 2's and 3's because you are butthurt is retarded.
----
30.09.2011 - 20:13
Rating: 8
Opethshed
Well.......frankly,this album is hard to understand, hard to get in touch, and easy to be tired with....

When The Devil's Orchard leaked out, I wondered whether all songs in heritage could be amazing like this.

But unfortunately, my wish doesn't work.........
30.09.2011 - 20:41
Rating: 5
The shittiest album i ever heard:hopeless:
30.09.2011 - 21:26
Rating: 5
Slayer666
Written by dr.death on 30.09.2011 at 18:24

Of course. The initial reactions are worthless. The only people bitching are the ones that don't get it. They probably think bands like Gorgoroth and Enslaved are cool too even though neither one of them retains any musical merit whatsoever.

So you can see into the future? Awesome! Tell me, will I achieve my boyhood dream of becoming a fat, black woman?

P.S. Just in case you don't actually have the gift of prophecy, do try to stop yourself from handing out such retarded comments, please. Everything about your post screams that Akerfeldt is your wet dream.
30.09.2011 - 21:58
@gent_-_orange

I don't think giving this a 7 or 8 when compared to Ghost Reveries or Deliverance is unjustified at all if you don't like the more progressive side of Opeth, but dropping 2's and 3's because you are butthurt is retarded.

Enslaved dont have any musical merit? ... Wow, are you serious?

Although I agree with the last paragraph a lot, I dont think this album deserves such low ratings at all.
30.09.2011 - 22:01
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by @gent_-_orange on 30.09.2011 at 21:58

Enslaved dont have any musical merit? ... Wow, are you serious?

wow, i dismissed this as being Ponderer, but now i am not so sure.
----

01.10.2011 - 02:06
dr.death
ponderer again
I love it on the DVD where Mikael Åkerfeldt just says quite clearly, "if people don't like it, fuck 'em cause this is what we're doing". Sums it up. Who gives a shit if a bunch of 12 year olds don't like it. Do whatever makes you happy and screw the armchair critics who know fuckall about music. I do love Mikael's sense of humor too: "I can just clap my hands like this and come up with a music masterpiece." He isn't about to take anyone's shit. He wanted an old school feel to the music where the instruments sounded like instruments BEING played by real people, not over-processed, synthetic or contrived. He really is a genius despite his sarcasm and modesty during the interviews.
----

Hits total: 82369 | This month: 99