08. The Lines In My Hand
09. Folklore
10. Marrow Of The Earth
11. Pyre [DVD bonus]
12. Face In The Snow [DVD bonus]

The Biggest Surprise Of 2011
Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Written and produced by Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Mixed by Steven Wilson and Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Engineered by Jens Borgen.
Mastered by Peter Mew at Abbey Road Studios.

"Slither" is a tribute to Ronnie James Dio.

Artwork by Travis Smith.

DVD contains a 5.1 mix of entire album, a "making of" documentary, and a card to download the bonus tracks Pyre and Face In The Snow.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The general consensus when a great band dares to move away from their original Death Metal sound is usually not positive. However Opeth have done it before masterfully with Damnation in 2003. They are back at it with one of the year's most anticipated albums, Heritage.

Cutting to the chase: Compared to their previous releases, Heritage lacks character. Despite the song structures being very progressive rock and the vocals being crazy good, the absence of catchy guitar riffs or memorable growls is a downer. One can positively recognize Opeth as the artist, especially since a lot of the songs borrow tidbits straight from the Ghost Reveries period. Certainly they manage to perpetuate a dark atmosphere throughout the album, but the mellowness of the whole thing is borderline irritating to someone expecting their trademark sound. I know we have been forewarned by Mikael Åkerfeldt himself about this being a throwback kind of release. Still, I believe this would be either catchier or more aggressive. Nevertheless the album does feature good moments, mostly from the jazz-infused portions of the songs.

Read more ››
published 20.09.2011 | Comments (134)

Guest review by
SauradipGhosh
Rating:
Heritage poses more questions than answers. Have Opeth reached a creative cul-de-sac? Have they chucked their "Extreme Progressive Death Metal" for good? Have they finally shed their "Underground Garage Band" (I am quoting Akerfeldt from an earlier interview) and have ventured out into the Pantheon of the "mainstream" Gods from their hallowed underground temple so frequented by hordes of reverent worshipers?

Read more ››
published 29.05.2012 | Comments (32)

Found in 84 lists
Top lists

Comments page 5 / 18

Comments: 520   Visited by: 3052 users
26.08.2011 - 21:05
stationarytravel
Account deleted
Written by BaneConall on 26.08.2011 at 20:23

Written by Guest on 26.08.2011 at 19:07

Why would you post this!!??

Because it's awesome. Much better than Heritage I bet.
26.08.2011 - 21:07
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by BaneConall on 26.08.2011 at 20:23

Written by Guest on 26.08.2011 at 19:07

Why would you post this!!??

Yeah....I don't get it either...I lol'd though...
26.08.2011 - 21:44
stationarytravel
Account deleted
Lolwut. Also, butthurt metulz fans need to stop being so srsbsns. Akersache > Opeth. /thread
29.08.2011 - 14:59
Rating: 7
AXA
I think no this band cold old school Opeth
29.08.2011 - 17:14
stationarytravel
Account deleted
29.08.2011 - 21:15
AXA
I like this song awesome one
Opeth - Nepenthe (Was Her Name)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-sqs1OmZ8A&feature=player_embedded
02.09.2011 - 03:30
BlankFile
In November im going to see them live in Lisbon! \m/
About the new album, we already know that it´s not going to contain any death metal parts or growls, and i confess, when i heard about it i felt disapointed. I was expecting that Heritage would follow the vibe of Watershed, wich in my opinion is one of the best CD´s of Opeth with powerfull and amazing compositions. I´ve heard the Devil´s Orchard already and i don´t know what to say yet. I prefer to listen to the whole thing first, and than give my full opinion about the CD.
02.09.2011 - 06:07
Ometal
Preview:
02.09.2011 - 18:48
Rating: 10
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
What an amazing album, but its not like anything Opeth released before ..
02.09.2011 - 22:02
Rating: 6
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
I'm not familiar with this band, but this album sounds like Prog Rock to me lol
----
loves 小巫
03.09.2011 - 02:22
Rating: 8
Metal_4Ever
I didn't like it as much as Watershed, just a bullshit i see
03.09.2011 - 08:38
Misfit74
Brilliant.
03.09.2011 - 11:34
Kenos
Account deleted
It has absolutely nothing to do with the deep and emotional "Damnation"; it's a bit abstruse and puzzling at times and I hear a lot of mannerism in this record. Not an easy listen... I will give it time.
03.09.2011 - 12:09
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
The album leaked already. Its a good album to fall asleep to. Its kind of a Damnation part 2, but a bit heavier. No growls though. The Devils Orchard is the best song, alongside Folklore.
Its a 7/8 in 10 for me (gotta give it a few more spins). Already bought in on amazon.
03.09.2011 - 12:18
Fredd
Account deleted
Got it yesterday. Damnation. And I didnt like damnation much.
03.09.2011 - 14:02
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Why the heck did it leak??? I will wait till it arrives. It's the first pre-order in my life, and I will just have to go through the torment of not downloading it.

Written by Guest on 03.09.2011 at 12:18

you got the physical copy already?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
03.09.2011 - 23:49
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 03.09.2011 at 14:02

Why the heck did it leak??? I will wait till it arrives. It's the first pre-order in my life, and I will just have to go through the torment of not downloading it.

Written by Guest on 03.09.2011 at 12:18

you got the physical copy already?

Just wait until you get it, the fulfillment (or disappointment xD) is always greater that way. Everyone wants to be the first one to say it's a masterpiece or it's complete garbage, but all that really matters is your listening experience.
04.09.2011 - 00:51
Rating: 6
The Benighted
This is certainly much proggier than their earlier works. Less heavy, as well, but that comes with the extra helping of prog. Seems to be a pretty solid album thus far. Maybe more spins will reveal problem areas but as of now it's a really enjoyable album.
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
04.09.2011 - 10:39
JCJen7
A lot of people (not on here, but on Youtube videos) seem to really like the album, but not the song Slither (which I like very much). Their only reasoning is that it's not very Opethy, and that they listen to them for their signature sound. I have heard some similar arguments on this site though, people saying that they miss the 'Opeth atmosphere' of the early records.

This just seems odd to me, because for a band that draws so many differant influences, and changes their sound so much in a relatively short period (15 years) of time, so many fans seem to hang on to the few common denominators as what makes the albums good. Personally, I really like this album (I listened to the leaked version, only because I will be getting my copy of the CD the day of the concert, and I want to know the music first). Its very isolating, diverse, and to me it sounds natural. Some people have been saying it sounds like technical wanking of an artificial sounding atmosphere. To me, it sounds very natural, and something the band has hinted at during points in their albums, but have always moved passed. This time, they made an entire album over the transitions and more minimalist moments in their previous albums, and expanded on the idea.

Only heard it a couple times, which is probably not enough for an album like this. But I think it is quite good. Fans seem quite polarized, which is to be expected on this kind of album.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
04.09.2011 - 14:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
The album is ok though. 7/8 material depending on my mood. I'm just a bit upset that this album will get big ass 10s just because of the name of the band, not justifying their rating.

From what it is (as I try to not care about the name of the band in the artwork) is actually a cool album.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.09.2011 - 16:43
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Holy Ian Anderson... Famine is good...
04.09.2011 - 17:43
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I'm enjoying the album at the moment. I don't get the comparisons with Damnation. I think it is an entirely different album altogether.

Really digging "Haxprocess" and "Famine".
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.09.2011 - 21:52
Noxious
Bad album lose many like a harmony and i can't feel any track like before albums
04.09.2011 - 22:19
BehzadSh
Though, there's no growl vocal (and I wish it has at least on shout from Mikael ) that most Opeth fans expected, there are perfect bass and drum playing.

I listen to album only once, and it sound great for me, while this wasn't what I excpected
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
04.09.2011 - 22:56
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 04.09.2011 at 17:43

I'm enjoying the album at the moment. I don't get the comparisons with Damnation. I think it is an entirely different album altogether.

I take that comparison back, Damnation was better.
04.09.2011 - 23:46
annodomini
Iam not a fan of Opeth, I have lsitened to all their albumas just for few times, but I found Heritage the best album in their discography. If you are a metalhead, than you will hate it, but for more openminded person this is a jewel, i Even wish, that there was even less metal in it. Pure perfection. Folklore is something from another world.
----
the riddle wants to be...
04.09.2011 - 23:54
opeth771
Wow.... This is such a GEM! An absolute masterpiece... This is not for closed minded people who don't actually appreciated what music really is. Opeth never was just about growls... This album has a VERY high level of musicianship. You can really see how Akerfeldt is a genius for pulling out that kind of stuff after writing death metal for years! This is an awesome album!
04.09.2011 - 23:57
DrM
DreaMutilated
Written by annodomini on 04.09.2011 at 23:46

Iam not a fan of Opeth, I have lsitened to all their albumas just for few times, but I found Heritage the best album in their discography. If you are a metalhead, than you will hate it, but for more openminded person this is a jewel, i Even wish, that there was even less metal in it. Pure perfection. Folklore is something from another world.

You nailed it. Some pure metalheads might hate it, let them hate. Second spin by now, there are so many layers to uncover here... Can't wait for my new headset to arrive!

I'd have been rather disappointed if we would've just got a "Watershed II", and as far as I'm concerned this is a step in the right direction for the band. This is what "Progressive" means - progressing, exploring and altering the way you sound to create new ideas.

This change can easily be compared to Pain of Salvation's evolution. Not in terms of directly comparing the musical style, simply referring to the way they've altered it. And even though I'm not a huge fan of Scarsick, Road Salt One is constantly on my playlist.
04.09.2011 - 23:58
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Guest on 04.09.2011 at 22:56

I wasn't talking in terms of quality. I just think the albums are very different in terms of how they sound. If you like Damnation more or think it is better that is a different matter

I just wouldn't compare them based how similar they sound, because they don't, to me.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
05.09.2011 - 00:04
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 04.09.2011 at 23:58

Written by Guest on 04.09.2011 at 22:56

I wasn't talking in terms of quality. I just think the albums are very different in terms of how they sound. If you like Damnation more or think it is better that is a different matter

I just wouldn't compare them based how similar they sound, because they don't, to me.

They are similar in concepts.

Hits total: 82366 | This month: 96