08. The Lines In My Hand
09. Folklore
10. Marrow Of The Earth
11. Pyre [DVD bonus]
12. Face In The Snow [DVD bonus]

The Biggest Surprise Of 2011
Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Written and produced by Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Mixed by Steven Wilson and Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Engineered by Jens Borgen.
Mastered by Peter Mew at Abbey Road Studios.

"Slither" is a tribute to Ronnie James Dio.

Artwork by Travis Smith.

DVD contains a 5.1 mix of entire album, a "making of" documentary, and a card to download the bonus tracks Pyre and Face In The Snow.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The general consensus when a great band dares to move away from their original Death Metal sound is usually not positive. However Opeth have done it before masterfully with Damnation in 2003. They are back at it with one of the year's most anticipated albums, Heritage.

Cutting to the chase: Compared to their previous releases, Heritage lacks character. Despite the song structures being very progressive rock and the vocals being crazy good, the absence of catchy guitar riffs or memorable growls is a downer. One can positively recognize Opeth as the artist, especially since a lot of the songs borrow tidbits straight from the Ghost Reveries period. Certainly they manage to perpetuate a dark atmosphere throughout the album, but the mellowness of the whole thing is borderline irritating to someone expecting their trademark sound. I know we have been forewarned by Mikael Åkerfeldt himself about this being a throwback kind of release. Still, I believe this would be either catchier or more aggressive. Nevertheless the album does feature good moments, mostly from the jazz-infused portions of the songs.

Read more ››
published 20.09.2011 | Comments (134)

Guest review by
SauradipGhosh
Rating:
Heritage poses more questions than answers. Have Opeth reached a creative cul-de-sac? Have they chucked their "Extreme Progressive Death Metal" for good? Have they finally shed their "Underground Garage Band" (I am quoting Akerfeldt from an earlier interview) and have ventured out into the Pantheon of the "mainstream" Gods from their hallowed underground temple so frequented by hordes of reverent worshipers?

Read more ››
published 29.05.2012 | Comments (32)

Found in 84 lists
Top lists

Comments page 8 / 18

Comments: 520   Visited by: 3052 users
11.09.2011 - 11:41
Rating: 8
BehzadSh
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.09.2011 at 17:13

Written by BehzadSh on 10.09.2011 at 16:22

Agree, like one in "I Feel the Dark" about 3:00... but opeth always do this you can find similar one in other albums

Well, this will turn up to be a subjetive matter because I feel like the changes has been abrupt (and just plain random like "The Lotus Eater", I mean... it's ridiculous) just recently.

I don't like abrupt changes either... but somehow it seems marvelous for me, and I agree with you that is subjective matter
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
11.09.2011 - 11:50
Rating: 7
malaikat
My case: I adore King Crimson, Yes and Pink Floyd, and I adore this album. It listen to it as a kind of '70s prog music (metal-ish) pastiche, and I think it's great.

One way or the other, Opeth does seem to reinvent themselves (with a good dose of measure, ofc) with every album, and that's why I love about them. I mean, it is music to sit down and listen to in peace, not really headbanging material - altough it occasionaly has its own dose of brutality.
12.09.2011 - 01:22
Evil Chip
I listen to King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Yes, which are more present in this album than Pink Floyd or Genesis for example. King Crimson were great at doing abrupt changes, Opeth sometimes does it well and sometimes it sounds akward, well at least for me. I think its a good album, it would be brilliant if the first half was just as good as the other.
12.09.2011 - 10:47
BehzadSh
Written by malaikat on 11.09.2011 at 11:50

My case: I adore King Crimson, Yes and Pink Floyd, and I adore this album. It listen to it as a kind of '70s prog music (metal-ish) pastiche, and I think it's great.

One way or the other, Opeth does seem to reinvent themselves (with a good dose of measure, ofc) with every album, and that's why I love about them. I mean, it is music to sit down and listen to in peace, not really headbanging material - altough it occasionaly has its own dose of brutality.

Totally, Agreed
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
12.09.2011 - 14:42
truenoacero
Written by BlankFile on 09.09.2011 at 18:26

This sounds clearly like a progressive rock cd for what i´ve heard so far of Heritage (1 listen so far). Some parts reminded me of the bands Transatlantic and Pain of Salvation (No wonder Pain of Salvation will be in the Europe tour with Opeth). Well it sounds interesting, really listenable, but not my favourite taste. Some users said here that it resembles Damnation, but i don´t share the same opinion. Damnation has a different style, a darker one, more mellow and malancholic, and its acoustic in general. Personally I prefer albums like Watershed, Morningrise, Still Life, Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries...

I agree with you, Heritage is not a bad album but it's a mix of a lot of things (jazz, prog...) without death metal elements. I think that Opeth is going to lose a lot of fans for this album, for me it's a good album but I prefer Blackwater Park, if I want to listen prog rock I would listen to Tarkus instead of Heritage
13.09.2011 - 01:16
bard
Half the time it feels more like I'm listening to Gentle Giant than anything that ever even touched death metal.
----
13.09.2011 - 05:25
Rating: 9
ToMegaTherion
From what i've heard so far it sounds really good, but its not officially released here til tomorrow so I'll have to wait until then to get it... Or order online, but by the time it gets here in a week or two, i could have just bought it in a shop.
13.09.2011 - 14:43
RockeRoy
In the line up Per Wiberg is the Keyboard player, is this true? i thought i got fired or quit?
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
13.09.2011 - 16:27
Rating: 5
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
I'm super curious to see what happens tomorrow when people can start voting on the album.
13.09.2011 - 17:12
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by RockeRoy on 13.09.2011 at 14:43

In the line up Per Wiberg is the Keyboard player, is this true? i thought i got fired or quit?

Wiberg is probably credited on the album, and Åkerfeldt has done some keys as you can see.
13.09.2011 - 19:34
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.09.2011 at 15:31

Written by Daniell on 08.09.2011 at 12:07

Opeth is 2nd on the popularity index on this site, only Iron Maiden in front of them, so no wonder that their new release causes so much interest.

You also have to add the fact that it was going to be a "different album".

Hope it isn't Morbid Angel different!
13.09.2011 - 19:39
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guest on 13.09.2011 at 19:34

Hope it isn't Morbid Angel different!

it isn't. Morbid Angel sought to add other elements into metal... Opeth removed the metal completely.

interesting, mellow album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.09.2011 - 23:09
BaZaH
Account deleted
At first, when listening to this album I was like: what is this shit and where the hell is Opeth? But after listening to it about 5 times it got to me. Great album, although I hope the next album will be more along the lines of the normal Opeth
14.09.2011 - 01:08
MetalDoomMaster
This is one of the first time I've seen an album rated lower by fans than by non-fans. Haha
14.09.2011 - 01:15
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I liked it at the first listen. Then it only got better with the following spins (and I'm pretty far from tired of listening to it)

Despite some flaws like seemingly "unresolved" song structures ("Famine" could have been easily the best track on the album for it's concept, but it's kind of messy) and the VERY VERY personal opinion that the album is missing just a bit of heaviness, I love all the tracks on the album. My favorite, "I Feel the Dark".

The real score would be 9.5, so let's be nice and give it a 10
14.09.2011 - 01:25
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 14.09.2011 at 01:08

This is one of the first time I've seen an album rated lower by fans than by non-fans. Haha

This album is hereby certified BUTTHURT

14.09.2011 - 01:33
JD
Account deleted
Am I the only one, or the tribute song is just horrible.
14.09.2011 - 02:10
Death_95
Written by Guest on 14.09.2011 at 01:33

which one ? Heritage and Marrow Of The Earth are tribute songs. Heritage is terrible IMO.
14.09.2011 - 02:16
JD
Account deleted
Written by Death_95 on 14.09.2011 at 02:10

which one ? Heritage and Marrow Of The Earth are tribute songs. Heritage is terrible IMO.

"Slither" is a tribute to RJD.
14.09.2011 - 02:17
Kenos
Account deleted
I'm sorry for the diehard metalheads who feel disappointed because this ain't metal at all, but imo "Heritage" is way more brilliant than anything they did after "Blackwater Park".

I think he refers to "Slither", the tribute to R.J. Dio.
14.09.2011 - 03:11
Death_95
Written by Guest on 14.09.2011 at 02:17

I'm sorry for the diehard metalheads who feel disappointed because this ain't metal at all, but imo "Heritage" is way more brilliant than anything they did after "Blackwater Park".

I think he refers to "Slither", the tribute to R.J. Dio.

Really ? I heard in an interview that Heritage and Marrow Of The Earth are tribute songs...
14.09.2011 - 05:31
JaimeLeonel
Pretty different from past opeths albums, but it is still very good.
----
k
14.09.2011 - 08:24
AXA
I love all opeth albums much more this album
i like this album its cool album , but this is Not enough ,because this album just normal album i think opeth work the album just abut 2 or 3 month, there is just old stuff , i just hold old opeth album , i like the 2 bonus track more than the album , i prefer hear (Leprous album - Bilateral ) because there is some think new , and i feel bater when i hear Leprous album .
i can make to th opeth album :7
14.09.2011 - 16:32
tirim4
I like the growling and heavy riffs of earlier Opeth album but people need to see Heritage for what it is. It's a great prog-rock album.
14.09.2011 - 17:45
MeloDeathViking
Alright, after reading a bunch of the comments here, I feel like I have to chime in. I am a huge fan of Opeth, and have rated just about all of their albums very high. I don't think I would call myself a fanboy though because of that. I am definitely still willing to hear what people have to say about it and I get why people don't like certain albums.

On the topic of Damnation vs. Heritage, I definitely think they are two very different albums although similar in "concept" if that's what you want to call it. I definitely prefer Heritage. Heritage has a lot more of the prog elements to it than damnation does, and it's much more of an up tempo album. Also, I think the vocal work is far superior.

I definitely think Heritage is going to work its way into my top 3 favorite Opeth albums.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
14.09.2011 - 19:06
koob
They somehow manage to fuck up almost every song with a stupid riff... listen to Famine... the guitar riff is just downright stupid, same for Nepenthe's keyboard part, it's honestly not good, just not.
14.09.2011 - 19:08
Kuroboshi
Definitely better than Damnation. And it shines sometimes. It's like a cloudy day and the sun brakes through now and then. I've listened to it a couple of times now, and I feel like it leaves a lot to wish for. By no means a bad album. Good, but not masterful.
14.09.2011 - 19:10
@gent_-_orange
Written by koob on 14.09.2011 at 19:06

They somehow manage to fuck up almost every song with a stupid riff... listen to Famine... the guitar riff is just downright stupid, same for Nepenthe's keyboard part, it's honestly not good, just not.

Then why have you give it a 7 ?
14.09.2011 - 19:16
koob
Written by @gent_-_orange on 14.09.2011 at 19:10

Because although there's some stupid riffs here and here the album is still good and have some great tracks like Folklore or I Feel The Dark. It's just not as great as what Opeth used to deliver (and i'd give it a 7.5 but can't on the rating system). When I said that it was not good I was talking about some of the riffs/keyboard parts btw, not the whole album.
14.09.2011 - 19:28
@gent_-_orange
Written by koob on 14.09.2011 at 19:16

Written by @gent_-_orange on 14.09.2011 at 19:10

Because although there's some stupid riffs here and here the album is still good and have some great tracks like Folklore or I Feel The Dark. It's just not as great as what Opeth used to deliver (and i'd give it a 7.5 but can't on the rating system). When I said that it was not good I was talking about some of the riffs/keyboard parts btw, not the whole album.

Oh I see... Sorry about that, I misunderstood.

I think this album is very good, But I hope this band chooses not to abandon there heavier side permanently. The closest album to compare it to would be Damnation but they are still very different, Imo this is the better of the two, A lot more variation and generally better song writing Than on Damnation.

Hits total: 82367 | This month: 97