Metal Storm logo
Opeth - To Enter The Studio In January

That's right! Opeth will start the recording of their 10th album on the 31st of January 2011. The band has picked the legendary Atlantis Studios (ex Metronome studios) in Stockholm and will once again work with Jens Bogren engineering. Mixing duties will be handled by Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree).

A possible release worldwide is expected in Autumn of 2011 through Roadrunner Records. The new material has been described by the band as being "good".

Source: opeth.com
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 03.12.2010 by BaneConall

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 57   Visited by: 340 users
03.12.2010 - 17:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Quote:
The new material has been described by the band as being "good"
- Lol

I was listening to Watershed yesterday and wondering when news of a new one would appear.
03.12.2010 - 17:55
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Well, it would be quite weird if they said something like, "Well, so far the new material really sucks. We hope the next several tracks will sound better. If not, you will just have to put up with a crappy record."

of course it's "good."
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
03.12.2010 - 17:59
Lawre
There can be no doubt about the quality of this album, they told us it will be "good"!
03.12.2010 - 18:01
BobMoron
Finally some good material! To think that it took them nine goddamn albums to get there...

----
'The key to making Oscar Wilde quotes is to add '~ Oscar Wilde' at the end.' ~ Oscar Wilde
03.12.2010 - 18:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Maybe news is good, but will album be good ?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.12.2010 - 19:04
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Hell yeah, Opeth still didnt disappoint me, may be a ltl with Watershed, but i get into it after while, so hope this one will continue the legacy.
03.12.2010 - 19:11
silenius
If opeth ever release a bad album i´d have to remove the skin on half my back! if they do they dont deserve to be tattoed on my body!^^, hope its fucking awesome as always
03.12.2010 - 19:19
TheBigRossowski
This news just made my day a thousand times better. And I jizzed in my pants.

Thanks Bane26. I most certainly hope you've jizzed just as righteously in your pants. Thank you...

The Dude abides!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
03.12.2010 - 19:34
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Wilson mixing again, let's hope some magic happens again

Very very curious about this one. Can hardly wait.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
03.12.2010 - 19:34
AyΣm
Abyssal Zebra
If they continue on the same way as Watershed, I want this one !!! Watershed is amazing!!!
03.12.2010 - 19:54
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Awesome news. Let them come!
So... this time we have a "good" album...? That's actually a bad thing coming from Opeth lol.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
03.12.2010 - 19:56
Zuzuz0r
Nice, I'm pretty interested about it, don't really know what to expect.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
03.12.2010 - 20:06
Sanzo
That's crazy. I was listening to Ghost of Perdition earlier and wondering, "I wonder when they'll release a new album..."
03.12.2010 - 21:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Hmmmm... I can't be as happy as I wish to.

Their discography started going "Meh" since Winston started to do some stuff with the band.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.12.2010 - 21:24
Winterthrone
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.12.2010 at 21:11

Hmmmm... I can't be as happy as I wish to.

Their discography started going "Meh" since Winston started to do some stuff with the band.

First you mean WILSON...
Second their discography went "Meh"...???? What the fuck are you talking about? Blackwater Park, Damnation/Deliverance, Ghost Reveries are their best albums. Everyone I know who likes Opeth have one of these among their favorites. Watershed was good too but a little difficult to get into, but after a while it started to grow on me.
I also like the Pre-Wilson era, if I can put it that way, but they were searching their style for the first three albums and found it on Still Life which is similar in sound to Blackwater Park...Which adds to my incomprehension on your comment. But maybe it's just me...Like we say in french: "Tous les goûts sont dans la nature!" (All tastes are natural).
03.12.2010 - 21:43
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
Opeth? More like Overhypeth. Amirite?
----
Your favorite band sucks.
03.12.2010 - 22:04
Zhao
The Arkaholic
Hah, this is the first band I've seen that just states that the album will be "good" as opposed to "omfg ist our best evar."
03.12.2010 - 22:19
Rog-Mothoth
Cant wait for this one
this is one band that shouldent need fucking 3 year intervals in betwwen albums
----
Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 06:44

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.08.2011 at 01:04

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN.

... I can hear your prog boners from here. D:<

Liar... Everyone knows the only way to sense a boner is by smell D:<
03.12.2010 - 22:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Winterthrone on 03.12.2010 at 21:24

First you mean WILSON...
Second their discography went "Meh"...???? What the fuck are you talking about? Blackwater Park, Damnation/Deliverance, Ghost Reveries are their best albums.

I said STARTED, I should write better and you shouldread better as well.

Blackwater Park, Damnation and Deliverance are still very good albums but for me it's going slowly (I repeat just in case you didn't catch up: SLOWLY) going downhill. I never understood the OVERHYPE (because it's nothing short of an overhype) that Blackwater Park has, specially since albums like Still Life and Morningrise are equally good to say the least.

Deliverance was good the first years I heard it, now it just seems old and not really something that fresh... and Ghost reveries... well, the first time I heard it seemed like it was a different band with mikael åkerfeldt doing the vocals. The thing got worse with Watershed when they went just way to progressive... It seems that with Wilson they took more progressive and left the metal part behind. There is no song in the last 2 cds that has the same strenght than songs like Blackwater Park, Serenity Painted Death or Demon of The Fall.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, I still believe that the real problem for me isn't Wilson (he's one of the reasons but not the main one)... it's the FUCKING keyboardist.... Mikael, if you ever read this: KICK THE SHIT OUT OF THAT GUY....

PS: Also.... In my humble opinion.... They knew exactly what they were doing since their debut, I don't think they were searching a sound at all.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.12.2010 - 22:27
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
If it's down the same path as Watershed, I really couldn't give a fuck.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.12.2010 - 22:52
Morteza K.
I Can't Wait!
03.12.2010 - 22:52
Kenos
Account deleted
Hopefully it will be better than Watershed... That really sucked.

Well, "good" doesn't seem to be enough, especially if it's as "good" as Watershed was...
03.12.2010 - 23:55
Elio
Red Nightmare
Easily one of my most awaited albums for 2011. Good news.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
04.12.2010 - 00:04
Symmachus
Cool, Opeth are releasing a good album. I like the word choice.
04.12.2010 - 01:22
Chaosweaver
Good would be OK, but amazing would be good.
04.12.2010 - 03:34
Asunder
Written by Thryce on 03.12.2010 at 21:43

Opeth? More like Overhypeth. Amirite?

nope. best news of the year.
04.12.2010 - 03:51
Mr.Wilson
Written by Guest on 03.12.2010 at 22:52

Hopefully it will be better than Watershed... That really sucked.

Well, "good" doesn't seem to be enough, especially if it's as "good" as Watershed was...

I tkink they don't want to oversell the album yet...not like some bands who say "it's our best album to date...strongest album so far" and then it comes out and as BAMM!! crappy album right in the kisser

Can't wait for the new album:)
----
"..Damned in any Language..."
04.12.2010 - 04:20
whatsacow
Very interested to see if they keep with the direction of watershed, revert back to older styles or go compleely left field on us again. Personally I hope for the latter.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
04.12.2010 - 06:31
Winterthrone
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.12.2010 at 22:24

Written by Winterthrone on 03.12.2010 at 21:24

First you mean WILSON...
Second their discography went "Meh"...???? What the fuck are you talking about? Blackwater Park, Damnation/Deliverance, Ghost Reveries are their best albums.

I said STARTED, I should write better and you shouldread better as well.

Blackwater Park, Damnation and Deliverance are still very good albums but for me it's going slowly (I repeat just in case you didn't catch up: SLOWLY) going downhill. I never understood the OVERHYPE (because it's nothing short of an overhype) that Blackwater Park has, specially since albums like Still Life and Morningrise are equally good to say the least.

Deliverance was good the first years I heard it, now it just seems old and not really something that fresh... and Ghost reveries... well, the first time I heard it seemed like it was a different band with mikael åkerfeldt doing the vocals. The thing got worse with Watershed when they went just way to progressive... It seems that with Wilson they took more progressive and left the metal part behind. There is no song in the last 2 cds that has the same strenght than songs like Blackwater Park, Serenity Painted Death or Demon of The Fall.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, I still believe that the real problem for me isn't Wilson (he's one of the reasons but not the main one)... it's the FUCKING keyboardist.... Mikael, if you ever read this: KICK THE SHIT OUT OF THAT GUY....

PS: Also.... In my humble opinion.... They knew exactly what they were doing since their debut, I don't think they were searching a sound at all.

I should have read better.... Yeah right... I read exactly what you wrote and there was only one sentence. Now you wrote three paragraphs and a P.S. to explain that sentence. Overhype on Blackwater Park??? Man that album to me, and a lot of people I know is just awesome. It's funny how people will say something is overrated when they PERSONALLY don't like it or the contrary (Say something is underrated when they like it and a majority of people hate it). You have the right to like the old Opeth more than their latest stuff but then again I don't see what's wrong with their keyboardist. And I don't think Mikael is going to 'kick the shit out of him' anytime soon just cause you wrote that questionable sentence... Man I think you should go to bed, you seem tired to write such bullshit.
04.12.2010 - 06:51
INÆRIS
Lovely. Can't wait.
----
Still Life, Still Death

Hits total: 5505 | This month: 14