Metal Storm logo
Does a genre called "Extreme Power Metal" really exist?

Original post

Posted by marinBG, 01.09.2006 - 21:39
I don't know whe ever tought of that name at all... and the strangest thing is when I see that Children Of Bodom are listed like that... quite frankly it pisses me off quite a lot!
and the most annoying thing is that I've read for example Alexi Laiho say that it doesn't matter how that style of the band is reffered to by people no matter if they say black, death or whatever kind of metal AS LONG AS IT'S NOT POWER METAL! And I really don't think that Children Of Bodom and Manowar for example should be both counted in the same cathegory... and I don't really think that the word "extreeme" changes so much... and I don't think it's the same style at all... for me the two styles have nothing in common...
and I think it is alfully rude and wrong to try to push a genre name to people that even the bands that are supposed to be in do not agree with... for me the most important opinion about stuff like that is the one of the people who create the music... there for if a band does not consider themselves something, you don't have the right to tell them what kind of music they play... especially when the bands is not made from complete retards...
I think people here should drop this gender name and go with melodic death metal or something... or finnish melodic death metal... or in other cases with Gothenburg Metal or something... But for me Extreeme Power Metal is comlitly incorrect... especially for Children Of Bodom

Poll

Do you agree with such genre label?

Yep! I think it's correct...
Whatever man... it doesn't really matter
Nope, I think it's incorrect!!!
I don't like it but it's ok!

Total votes: 463
21.01.2008 - 21:55
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Number Juan on 21.01.2008 at 21:15

Written by Bad English on 20.01.2008 at 23:21

Written by Guest on 20.01.2008 at 23:19

I think those bands combine Melodic Death elements with Power Metal elements. Maybe some bands the vocals become blackish but the previous label attracts more the listener even clean Death Metal fans thats my opinion.

Melodic Death maybe lil but more I say its speed metal whit power metal, becaus efor example CoF are werry fast power, and vocals isnt typical death metal growls, its hard to desrcibe those genres and define tham

that was a typo. he was talking about CoB
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
21.01.2008 - 22:00
Number Juan
Oh. Ok. Then, we are arguing over a typo. WTF? I agree. I think the label serves COB's style very well.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
27.01.2008 - 14:26
Stratowarrior
can dragonforce be extreme power metal??? 'cos they play very fast songs and also they're power metal but i don't know if i'm right
----
power metal 'til death!!!!!!!!!
27.01.2008 - 19:31
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Stratowarrior on 27.01.2008 at 14:26

can dragonforce be extreme power metal??? 'cos they play very fast songs and also they're power metal but i don't know if i'm right

i heard a dragonforce song the other day, well i skipped after a minute, but at the beginning of the song i thought it was CoB. the music was fast and very similar to CoB. it was only when the vocals started that i realized that this isn't a new CoB song, but it's actually some random power metal. later i learned that it was actualy dragonforce.

my point is, that without the harsh vocals CoB are just the same as Dragonforce. so definitely, dragonforce are extreme power metal.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
27.01.2008 - 21:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Stratowarrior on 27.01.2008 at 14:26

Extreme man its fast and cheesy if its more hoe power/speed but real power/speed was in 90ties, so it can not be extreme power
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.01.2008 - 23:34
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 27.01.2008 at 21:22

Extreme man its fast and cheesy if its more hoe power/speed but real power/speed was in 90ties, so it can not be extreme power

there is a genre called extreme power metal. what are you talking about?
----

27.01.2008 - 23:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 27.01.2008 at 23:34

Written by Bad English on 27.01.2008 at 21:22

there is a genre called extreme power metal. what are you talking about?

I know i explain to other member what is Dragonforce
----

apos;'
[image]
22.02.2008 - 14:16
Lordofchaos
Account deleted
COB is not "extreme power metal"

i think it's a mix of melodic death with a few power metal influences, but for example the singing (if you can call it singing lol, the first albums were screamed, not sung) is typically death metal style.

the guitar playing of COB is very fast and melodic, so it's a bit of power metal too (like dragonforce and all the other bands)

i think there are a few bands like cob who need a new metal syle name

these are : COB, kalmah, norther, wintersun...
22.02.2008 - 16:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 22.02.2008 at 14:16

these are : COB, kalmah, norther, wintersun...

But its extreme power metal so we dont need new name for genre
----

apos;'
[image]
22.02.2008 - 18:15
Skald
Account deleted

i think it's a mix of melodic death with a few power metal influences, but for example the singing (if you can call it singing lol, the first albums were screamed, not sung) is typically death metal style.
Well if you'd compare Amon Amarth and Children Of Bodom... No, the latter doesn't use death growls.
It's much closer to black metal shrieks.
24.02.2008 - 13:35
Lordofchaos
Account deleted
I said the bands who are called "extreme power metal" bands need a new name because it's wrong to call the style like that ! cob and all the others are simply not power metal, not even extreme, it's some sort of violent melodic death metal
29.02.2008 - 07:38
selken
Irreligious
Written by Guest on 24.02.2008 at 13:35

I said the bands who are called "extreme power metal" bands need a new name because it's wrong to call the style like that ! cob and all the others are simply not power metal, not even extreme, it's some sort of violent melodic death metal

I support the term "Extreme", but I'm amazed nobody has proposed also the term "Extreme melodic metal", is it really too stupid, or is accurate??? that would help to close a lot of open links.
----
29.02.2008 - 09:32
NOИ
nope it's incorrect. there is just european and american power metal with some differences. check for example Kamelot and Dark Moor to understand better...
05.03.2008 - 16:44
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
Are all black/death and trash bands with powermetal influences not extreme powermetal?
05.03.2008 - 20:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 05.03.2008 at 16:44

Are all black/death and trash bands with powermetal influences not extreme powermetal?

give me examples
----

apos;'
[image]
05.03.2008 - 21:42
DreamWeaver
Elite

COB is not "extreme power metal"

the guitar playing of COB is very fast and melodic, so it's a bit of power metal too (like dragonforce and all the other bands)

I strongly disagree with you here. Just shut CoB's vocals and listen solely to the music. They are pure unaldultered power metal. Vocals don't make them death. Just tell me, if Dream Theater decided to fire LaBrie and hired, let's say, George Fisher (from Cannibal Corpse), but they keep playing the same kind of music they played before, would you categorize them as Death or even Death/Prog?

i think it's a mix of melodic death with a few power metal influences

Maybe if you turned this around and say: A mix of power metal with a few death metal influences, I will somewhat agree with you here.
----
06.03.2008 - 12:37
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 05.03.2008 at 20:57

Written by Guest on 05.03.2008 at 16:44

give me examples

Well, mortification, for example, makes trash and sometimes death metal, with very clear powermetal influences (they where a powermetalband before), so, it's extreme and it is some kind of powermetal. But, I was a little joking with this matter. I really don't care how excactly it is named, so, whether it is extreme powermetal or black/death/trash, I really don't give a shit. As long as we can mosh on it I'm fine.
06.03.2008 - 21:48
Arrwyn
I believe there is such a genre. I mean, some bands don't sound like the others of the genre. I mean, you cannot say that Eternal Tears of Sorrow (with their latest release) sounds ANYTHING like Rhapsody of Fire or Blind Guardian, you know? I usually will use the name to classify the bands that have a more melodic death approach. For instance, the main riff usually will consist of that thrashy little gallop which is derived from older power metal works while the more extreme bands will use the very rythmatic lead and a more cleaner rhythm guitar. I also notice that the vocalist will not sound like his balls are in a clamp when he's singing...oh, and a note on the drums. I've noticed that the drums are not all about double bass, rather they actually have some rhythm to them.

And for the post above me...I am sorry, but moshing is for noobs.
16.03.2008 - 23:00
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
How Does one keep up with all these genre, and how or who decides to create another. I'm sure a lot of bands just play their music or what they love to hear not thinkin what they're going to be categorized as, but yet they are caught in this mess. Me personally I think we should just have the basics and not try not narrow it anymore than needed.
17.03.2008 - 15:42
nehrodwarf
I never heard about it, if someone post some bands of this genre, I'll got pleased, and I'll wanna know this genre
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com
17.03.2008 - 15:45
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Written by nehrodwarf on 17.03.2008 at 15:42

I never heard about it, if someone post some bands of this genre, I'll got pleased, and I'll wanna know this genre

Simple...Children Of Bodom, Norther, Kalmah and Wintersun.
29.03.2008 - 04:47
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Guest on 24.02.2008 at 13:35
Please stop referring to [melodic] death metal until you actually know what you're talking about, by hearing how bands like Death and Morbid Angel created the first, basic form of death metal in the mid 80s by taking thrash metal and feeding it with more dissonance and chaos, and then in the very early 90s bands like Dismember and Carcass combined this death metal with an obvious sense of melody to create true melodic death metal. Nothing in the sound of bands like CoB has anything to do with the early works of Dismember, and likewise, same bands have nothing to do with melodic death metal. The items in your collection here on MS that are labelled under "death" are only fringe forms of death metal, so please listen to and learn the roots of death before continuing to make incorrect references to melodic death metal.

Once more, you cannot define a genre by placing the majority of your reasoning solely on the vocals.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
29.03.2008 - 04:49
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Nighthowls on 16.03.2008 at 23:00
How Does one keep up with all these genre, and how or who decides to create another. I'm sure a lot of bands just play their music or what they love to hear not thinkin what they're going to be categorized as, but yet they are caught in this mess. Me personally I think we should just have the basics and not try not narrow it anymore than needed.
You are not alone in this way of thinking, but neither are the people who DO care about genres. If you don't care, just stay out of the discussion, is it that hard? Regarding your opening line, new genres are "created" when a moderate to large number of bands begin a movement by playing with a new sound.
Written by selken on 29.02.2008 at 07:38
I support the term "Extreme", but I'm amazed nobody has proposed also the term "Extreme melodic metal", is it really too stupid, or is accurate??? that would help to close a lot of open links.
I have considered this label before, and it is somewhat accurate, the problem is that it's too imprecise because "melodic metal" is what we use (at least on MS) to collect the individual subgenres of heavy metal, power metal, gothic metal etc, and so a myriad of completely unrelated bands could fit under this tag if brought into use
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
29.03.2008 - 06:38
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Written by Syk on 29.03.2008 at 04:49

Written by Nighthowls on 16.03.2008 at 23:00
You are not alone in this way of thinking, but neither are the people who DO care about genres. If you don't care, just stay out of the discussion, is it that hard? Regarding your opening line, new genres are "created" when a moderate to large number of bands begin a movement by playing with a new sound.

OK, I respect your opinion and surprisingly I agree with you, but I do feel I have the right of Freedom Of Speech, at least in my country do I, and well earned too. therefore I will continue posting my opinion. Thank you for the information on how the categorization works though.
22.07.2008 - 19:00
Freezer
well, I suppose this definition is quite good.
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
22.07.2008 - 20:02
Gordon Freeman
Written by Syk on 29.03.2008 at 04:47

Please stop referring to [melodic] death metal until you actually know what you're talking about, by hearing how bands like Death and Morbid Angel created the first, basic form of death metal in the mid 80s by taking thrash metal and feeding it with more dissonance and chaos, and then in the very early 90s bands like Dismember and Carcass combined this death metal with an obvious sense of melody to create true melodic death metal. Nothing in the sound of bands like CoB has anything to do with the early works of Dismember, and likewise, same bands have nothing to do with melodic death metal. The items in your collection here on MS that are labelled under "death" are only fringe forms of death metal, so please listen to and learn the roots of death before continuing to make incorrect references to melodic death metal.

Once more, you cannot define a genre by placing the majority of your reasoning solely on the vocals.

Holy Hell! Someone who gets it!

True melodic death metal does NOT equal the popular gothenburg style. There is very little actual death metal influence in bands like Soilwork and In Flames (even the old stuff) aside from the vocals and the occasional blast beat.

An example: Listen to almost any song off of Arch Enemy's pinnacle album "Wages of Sin" Now slow down the drums and take out the growling vocals. What you are left with is a song I you might find on a late 80's early 90's Judas Priest album.

The exact same test works with Children of Bodom or any other Extreme Power Metal band. You have to get past the vocals (which aren't real death metal vocals anyways) and you'll find that the music doesn't sound remotely like any death metal band you can name.

Thank you guy I am quoting for having a freaking clue...
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
23.07.2008 - 23:53
Kaiser_Soze
Account deleted
There are way too many sub-genres and sub-sub-genres, its absurd. Just the other day I heard about a band being labled 'brutal melodic folk metal'. Wha...? Same thing with 'extreme power metal'. Whatever the artists say they are is what they are, if COB says that they are melodic death metal than thats what they are, and the pseudo-intellectuals who are pulling these stupid genre names out their asses should get the hell out.
24.07.2008 - 00:14
totaliteraliter
Written by Guest on 23.07.2008 at 23:53
Whatever the artists say they are is what they are, if COB says that they are melodic death metal than thats what they are, and the pseudo-intellectuals who are pulling these stupid genre names out their asses should get the hell out.

You've got it backwards, it's the artists who come up with most of the retarded genre names. The fans are the ones who try to make sense of it all.
24.07.2008 - 01:07
Gordon Freeman

There are way too many sub-genres and sub-sub-genres, its absurd. Just the other day I heard about a band being labled 'brutal melodic folk metal'. Wha...? Same thing with 'extreme power metal'. Whatever the artists say they are is what they are, if COB says that they are melodic death metal than thats what they are, and the pseudo-intellectuals who are pulling these stupid genre names out their asses should get the hell out.

So, by your logic, if Blind Guardian started calling themselves NSBM then Darker Than Black would sign them immediately
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
24.07.2008 - 01:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by totaliteraliter on 24.07.2008 at 00:14

Whatever the artists say they are is what they are, if COB says that they are melodic death metal than thats what they are, and the pseudo-intellectuals who are pulling these stupid genre names out their asses should get the hell out.

You've got it backwards, it's the artists who come up with most of the retarded genre names. The fans are the ones who try to make sense of it all.

Not fans but music journalist and writers, fans just stoll from them
----

apos;'
[image]