Metal Storm logo
Does a genre called "Extreme Power Metal" really exist?

Original post

Posted by marinBG, 01.09.2006 - 21:39
I don't know whe ever tought of that name at all... and the strangest thing is when I see that Children Of Bodom are listed like that... quite frankly it pisses me off quite a lot!
and the most annoying thing is that I've read for example Alexi Laiho say that it doesn't matter how that style of the band is reffered to by people no matter if they say black, death or whatever kind of metal AS LONG AS IT'S NOT POWER METAL! And I really don't think that Children Of Bodom and Manowar for example should be both counted in the same cathegory... and I don't really think that the word "extreeme" changes so much... and I don't think it's the same style at all... for me the two styles have nothing in common...
and I think it is alfully rude and wrong to try to push a genre name to people that even the bands that are supposed to be in do not agree with... for me the most important opinion about stuff like that is the one of the people who create the music... there for if a band does not consider themselves something, you don't have the right to tell them what kind of music they play... especially when the bands is not made from complete retards...
I think people here should drop this gender name and go with melodic death metal or something... or finnish melodic death metal... or in other cases with Gothenburg Metal or something... But for me Extreeme Power Metal is comlitly incorrect... especially for Children Of Bodom

Poll

Do you agree with such genre label?

Yep! I think it's correct...
Whatever man... it doesn't really matter
Nope, I think it's incorrect!!!
I don't like it but it's ok!

Total votes: 463
24.07.2008 - 18:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 23.07.2008 at 23:53

There are way too many sub-genres and sub-sub-genres, its absurd. Just the other day I heard about a band being labled 'brutal melodic folk metal'. Wha...? Same thing with 'extreme power metal'. Whatever the artists say they are is what they are, if COB says that they are melodic death metal than thats what they are, and the pseudo-intellectuals who are pulling these stupid genre names out their asses should get the hell out.

Total and utter nonsense this post.
So if Children of Bodom say they play doom metal then that is the case?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.07.2008 - 21:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 24.07.2008 at 21:28

I think it sounds good but maybe the correct genre for COB and other similar bands is Melodic Death / Power Metal!!!

No disagree there can be death/doom, death/black, death/thrash but death / power its from diferent family, but if you say death like die in cemetary and flowers grows why not
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.07.2008 - 22:10
Fhuesc

From what concern they could be labeled as buttercup metal, and i would give a damn as long all the bands under that label sound similar.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
24.07.2008 - 22:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Fhuesc on 24.07.2008 at 22:10

From what concern they could be labeled as buttercup metal, and i would give a damn as long all the bands under that label sound similar.

who cares ... that who sold out albums taht cares , because its REALY sells in nowdays ? some otehr bands but moust sells flower metal
----

apos;'
[image]
06.10.2008 - 19:16
Classic Bob G

I honestly think it comes down to conveying a message. I like to use the term "Extreme Power metal" because when i say it, people know exactly what bands and what style's I'm talking about. That and it saves time from saying "Melodic powered death black metal", or whatever other people use to describe Bodom, Norther ect.

There hasn't been many other things to mix with metal that hasn't been done already. Anything between random noise to classical music (Which is why I fucking love this genre so much).

So when something "different" (and I use that word cautiously) comes along why not give them a new genre in order to illustrate what you mean exactly. I'm not usually one to stereo type or classify things, but music IS about showing ideas. And extreme Power metal, in my opinion is just another concept to convey.
10.10.2008 - 21:15
Valaskjalf
Account deleted

who cares ... that who sold out albums taht cares , because its REALY sells in nowdays ? some otehr bands but moust sells flower metal

What the FUCK does that mean in english?
12.10.2008 - 15:37
Magero
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.10.2008 at 21:15

First time I heard the term "Extreme power metal" was in reference to DragonForce, THEN in reference to Bodom, so I was always a bit fuzzy on it...
12.10.2008 - 16:03
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Nah Dragonforce is more Speed Powermetal if such a thing exists....all these terms are pretty confusing though
12.10.2008 - 16:06
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.07.2008 at 23:53

...Whatever the artists say they are is what they are, if COB says that they are melodic death metal than thats what they are...

Only problem is Children of Bodom refers to themselves as "Murder Metal" which is freekin rediculous....then every damn band can think up their own nonsense to make themselves more unique and we end up with 400 different sub-genres for more or less the same thing.
12.10.2008 - 16:46
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 12.10.2008 at 15:37

First time I heard the term "Extreme power metal" was in reference to DragonForce, THEN in reference to Bodom, so I was always a bit fuzzy on it...

Dragonforce is absolutely not Extreme Power metal. There's nothing extreme in their music..
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
12.10.2008 - 17:18
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Janne on 12.10.2008 at 16:46

Written by Guest on 12.10.2008 at 15:37

Dragonforce is absolutely not Extreme Power metal. There's nothing extreme in their music..

Yeah, extreme boredom...
And of course CoB is Murder metal, they are killing metal!
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
12.10.2008 - 23:03
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
This is what pisses me off the most about the whole genre labeling thing, it's practical use is to simplify a band's sound into a specific category alongside similar bands, which makes it easy to recommend to people who like that style. What we end up with is overuse and "extreme" exaggeration, what ever happened to the law of parsimony?
13.10.2008 - 22:40
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Elio on 12.10.2008 at 17:18

Yeah, extreme boredom...
And of course CoB is Murder metal, they are killing metal!

This is a joke right?

Speaking of the topic, I'm not one who likes to use sub-sub-sub genre titles, but I think it applies. Its just easier saying Extreme Power Metal than saying "Power metal with harsher vocals".
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.10.2008 - 05:29
Barbaydos
Account deleted
Written by Gordon Freeman on 22.07.2008 at 20:02

Written by Syk on 29.03.2008 at 04:47

Please stop referring to [melodic] death metal until you actually know what you're talking about, by hearing how bands like Death and Morbid Angel created the first, basic form of death metal in the mid 80s by taking thrash metal and feeding it with more dissonance and chaos, and then in the very early 90s bands like Dismember and Carcass combined this death metal with an obvious sense of melody to create true melodic death metal. Nothing in the sound of bands like CoB has anything to do with the early works of Dismember, and likewise, same bands have nothing to do with melodic death metal. The items in your collection here on MS that are labelled under "death" are only fringe forms of death metal, so please listen to and learn the roots of death before continuing to make incorrect references to melodic death metal.

Once more, you cannot define a genre by placing the majority of your reasoning solely on the vocals.

Holy Hell! Someone who gets it!

True melodic death metal does NOT equal the popular gothenburg style. There is very little actual death metal influence in bands like Soilwork and In Flames (even the old stuff) aside from the vocals and the occasional blast beat.

An example: Listen to almost any song off of Arch Enemy's pinnacle album "Wages of Sin" Now slow down the drums and take out the growling vocals. What you are left with is a song I you might find on a late 80's early 90's Judas Priest album.

The exact same test works with Children of Bodom or any other Extreme Power Metal band. You have to get past the vocals (which aren't real death metal vocals anyways) and you'll find that the music doesn't sound remotely like any death metal band you can name.

Thank you guy I am quoting for having a freaking clue...

i agree, people who say that bands like soilwork, in flames, arch enemy are all death metal bands have obviously not heard them before. Soilwork has some death metal influences in their very early ages they did but around the album Natual Born Chaos they kinda changed to heavy metal / Metalcore. In flames was never death metal to begin with even their vocals are not death metal. people need to listen more carefully to the music before they say something stupid about them.
15.10.2008 - 12:51
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 15.10.2008 at 05:29

Please stop referring to [melodic] death metal until you actually know what you're talking about, by hearing how bands like Death and Morbid Angel created the first, basic form of death metal in the mid 80s by taking thrash metal and feeding it with more dissonance and chaos, and then in the very early 90s bands like Dismember and Carcass combined this death metal with an obvious sense of melody to create true melodic death metal. Nothing in the sound of bands like CoB has anything to do with the early works of Dismember, and likewise, same bands have nothing to do with melodic death metal. The items in your collection here on MS that are labelled under "death" are only fringe forms of death metal, so please listen to and learn the roots of death before continuing to make incorrect references to melodic death metal.

Once more, you cannot define a genre by placing the majority of your reasoning solely on the vocals.

True melodic death metal does NOT equal the popular gothenburg style. There is very little actual death metal influence in bands like Soilwork and In Flames (even the old stuff) aside from the vocals and the occasional blast beat.

An example: Listen to almost any song off of Arch Enemy's pinnacle album "Wages of Sin" Now slow down the drums and take out the growling vocals. What you are left with is a song I you might find on a late 80's early 90's Judas Priest album.

The exact same test works with Children of Bodom or any other Extreme Power Metal band. You have to get past the vocals (which aren't real death metal vocals anyways) and you'll find that the music doesn't sound remotely like any death metal band you can name.

i agree, people who say that bands like soilwork, in flames, arch enemy are all death metal bands have obviously not heard them before. Soilwork has some death metal influences in their very early ages they did but around the album Natual Born Chaos they kinda changed to heavy metal / Metalcore. In flames was never death metal to begin with even their vocals are not death metal. people need to listen more carefully to the music before they say something stupid about them.

Yeah true...one of the bands I do see as melodic death metal is Hypocrisy, yet on MS they're refered to as Death Metal
15.10.2008 - 15:48
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 15.10.2008 at 12:51

Yeah true...one of the bands I do see as melodic death metal is Hypocrisy, yet on MS they're refered to as Death Metal

If Hypocrisy is Melodic Death metal then what would be simple Death metal?
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
15.10.2008 - 17:56
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Janne on 15.10.2008 at 15:48

Well I dont see them as straight up death metal - The past couple of albums have been much more melodic than what I would normally consider death metal. Could be wrong I guess...but if you ask me Hypocrisy is what I would base melodic death on. If not what do you consider melodic death? Since it seems that many of the bands on MS who everone assumed is melodic death suddenly is not.
15.10.2008 - 18:09
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 15.10.2008 at 17:56

Well I dont see them as straight up death metal - The past couple of albums have been much more melodic than what I would normally consider death metal. Could be wrong I guess...but if you ask me Hypocrisy is what I would base melodic death on. If not what do you consider melodic death? Since it seems that many of the bands on MS who everone assumed is melodic death suddenly is not.

Hypocrisy is quite melodic but still sounds normal death metal for me, but I'm not good in death metal and genre definitions.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
15.10.2008 - 21:13
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Janne on 15.10.2008 at 18:09

Written by Guest on 15.10.2008 at 17:56

Hypocrisy is quite melodic but still sounds normal death metal for me, but I'm not good in death metal and genre definitions.

lol me neither I hardly like any death metal so Im not very sure about the proper classification. All I know is Hypocrisy sounds the way I think Melodic Death metal should sound. None of this electronic bullshit, just really in your face and very ,melodic - makes sense to me to call them melodic death metal I guess.
04.11.2008 - 20:59
Land Of Doom

Yes It Is And The most famous band is Children Of Bodom
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
09.11.2008 - 07:48
TopGun

Ya it is EXTREME poewr metal. put angra and cob together w/o vocals u wont be able to tell difference.
20.11.2008 - 11:50
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
I would call it melodic thrash metal or symphonic thrash metal
----
Stay Metal !!!
20.11.2008 - 13:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Dreamwar_86 on 20.11.2008 at 11:50

why? Those bands have noting in comon with thrash metal at all. Calling them melodic or symphonic thrash metal is just as stupid as calling them melodic death metal
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.11.2008 - 13:37
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.11.2008 at 13:30

why? Those bands have noting in comon with thrash metal at all. Calling them melodic or symphonic thrash metal is just as stupid as calling them melodic death metal

so as call them power dont you think?
----
Stay Metal !!!
20.11.2008 - 13:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dreamwar_86 on 20.11.2008 at 13:37

Thay are extreme-power thay are, ok people acll bands melo death, I cant fight whit all worlds foolishness but sympfo thrash, have you eve rhear thrash metal?(megadeath and metallica dont counts)
----

apos;'
[image]
20.11.2008 - 13:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

power metal is the appropriate label for them cause they play powe rmetal. Just listen to the instrumntal parts and all it is is a quicker version of Stravarius, Sonata Arctica and those other horrible European flower metal bands. It is just the vocals generally and a bit in the speed that makes them slightly different to those other cheese masters.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.11.2008 - 13:44
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.11.2008 at 13:41

power metal is the appropriate label for them cause they play powe rmetal. Just listen to the instrumntal parts and all it is is a quicker version of Stravarius, Sonata Arctica and those other horrible European flower metal bands. It is just the vocals generally and a bit in the speed that makes them slightly different to those other cheese masters.

I Disagree they play in a darker vein but yes they are melodic like power but i just dont think power is the right label but oh well
if melodic death and melodic thrash doesnt help so i guess thats the correct one
----
Stay Metal !!!
20.11.2008 - 13:45
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Written by Bad English on 20.11.2008 at 13:39

Thay are extreme-power thay are, ok people acll bands melo death, I cant fight whit all worlds foolishness but sympfo thrash, have you eve rhear thrash metal?(megadeath and metallica dont counts)

Thrash is one of the most styles i listen
and i could say it sometimes sounds kind of thtash you can't deny it
----
Stay Metal !!!
20.11.2008 - 13:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Melodic, Nocturnus used keybords and in that case you labeled them power to?
Old Mans Child Use keybords, you labeled band power black to?

Marcel - and poeple only know nowdays Stratovarius, ''Fight Club'' was good album if we look at nowdays albums and it
----

apos;'
[image]
20.11.2008 - 13:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dreamwar_86 on 20.11.2008 at 13:45

Thrash is one of the most styles i listen
and i could say it sometimes sounds kind of thtash you can't deny it

I dodnt saw any thrsh band in your profile, where are fav bands so ...
----

apos;'
[image]