01. Intro
02. Shadows
03. Golden Path
04. Friendly Fire
05. Birds Of Prey
06. Breaking The Spell
07. Metallizer II
08. Forest

To be completely candid here, I've always wondered about the fan base of bands like these. Bands that aren't doing anything terrible, but just can't seem to get any strong impression across. The music sounds intense, but it doesn't feel intense. I guess the biggest example of this I could use would be Primal Fear - they have some great riffs, some outrageous vocals, and have an overall sound that rivals Judas Priest's "Painkiller" at times. But who the hell do you hear say "Oh shit, I can't wait to go home and listen to some Primal Fear!"? No one, but what is missing from their music? It's difficult to say, as the components are all there, and they have every reason to be an extremely likable band, but manage to create nothing aside from luke-warm music. Alexis are pretty much in the same boat.

It's an extremely predictable US style-power/heavy metal album that really doesn't create any stand out aspects to comment upon, anything that can be said about Birds Of Prey could just as easily be applied to millions of other bands out there: "Uh, yeah...That's a pretty decent riff...I guess". The most stand out track of the album is "Metallizer II" which basically sounds like a Primal Fear song in itself, just slightly less remarkable. That should give you idea of how inspired this album sounds.

I wish there was something good I could say about this album, or even something bad, but it's just extremely unexciting from start to finish. Being a dime-a-dozen type band in an already diluted genre just doesn't cut it at this day in age.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 2
Production: 9

Written on 10.12.2010 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 92 users
11.12.2010 - 05:27
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Wow, cool review (and analogy)
----
loves 小巫
11.12.2010 - 11:13
Susan
Smeghead
I was drawn in by the cover art and honestly, mediocre US power metal was the last thing I was expecting by it. You're right, though, no one says "Oh shit, I can't wait to go home and listen to some Primal Fear!"

Honest review.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs

Hits total: 4199 | This month: 3