Metal Storm logo
Don't you hate it when... (reasons to leave a band)

02.09.2006 - 22:01
Wo0dy
Account deleted
certain musicians get "sick" or have an excuse to leave there band and next thing you know they go join another band or make there own sometimes? just tell them straight up, i dont wanna be in this band instead of making up an excuse
02.09.2006 - 22:17
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
examples?

being sick of being in one band doesn't necessarily mean you want to quit music altogether
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
02.09.2006 - 22:21
Wo0dy
Account deleted
i believe the drummer for opeth got sick and joined some other band
02.09.2006 - 23:04
Richard

I don't know if this applies to Opeth's drummer, but if someone in a big, popular band develops health problems, they might not have the energy or desire to keep up with a hectic schedule of constantly touring, travelling and recording. So, by joining a different, smaller band, they're not under so much pressure - they can continue enjoying playing music, but without so much stress.
----
03.09.2006 - 00:54
Endoftherainbow

I wouldn't ever say I hate it when memembers of bands leave or get fired because it's none of our business why they do this but sometimes it can be disapointing when memembers of certain bands leave like Thomen leaving Blind Guardian but I respect him for leaving because he didn't like the direction they were heading and he want to be in a band that played music like old Blind Guardian so he formed Savage Circus.
03.09.2006 - 01:06
danzig111
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.09.2006 at 22:21

You Have Got To Be Kidding me!
03.09.2006 - 04:09
Baz Anderson

i think people usually are honest when they leave bands
the only time a member has left a band where i think somethinf fishy went on was Nicholas Barker with Dimmu Borgir - apparently they all fell out and he was kicked out, but i want to know why...

i certainly dont hate it when a member leaves and then forms another band
if they didnt do that just think of the amount of bands we wouldnt have!!
Gamma Ray, Primal Fear, Masterplan, Rainbow - the list goes on
03.09.2006 - 04:58
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Sometimes musicians want to go out and express themselves without being so limited by the Ideals of their fellow bandmates. Maby everyone in the band is an ass and they get sick of the bullshit and leave, or maby they want to play a different sound than what they're current band is playing, so they go form another one, and if he's still friends with his previous band, it can make for a helluva tour.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
03.09.2006 - 05:38
MetalSpider

Written by Guest on 02.09.2006 at 22:21

Where did you here that?

I was under the impression that he just got sick physically, so Martin Axenrot took over for a little while.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
03.09.2006 - 12:35
Damnated
Churchburner
Martin had some kind of blood disiese, I read it somewhere to, that was the reason why he missed concerts. He's now working on his unnamed solo project.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
03.09.2006 - 13:45
GT
Coffee!!
We would be missing a lot of great bands if people hadn't left their bands once in a while...I don't care how they leave but being honest about is preferable of course
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
03.09.2006 - 14:20
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Written by Richard on 02.09.2006 at 23:04

I don't know if this applies to Opeth's drummer, but if someone in a big, popular band develops health problems, they might not have the energy or desire to keep up with a hectic schedule of constantly touring, travelling and recording. So, by joining a different, smaller band, they're not under so much pressure - they can continue enjoying playing music, but without so much stress.

Wait, are we talking about people who get physically sick, or just sick of being in a certain band. Maybe it is like Richard said and that the person does still want to play music, but also wants a more simple life. It's kind of like bands reforming, in a way,
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
11.10.2006 - 16:06
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Not to mention Wintersun... All hail Jari!

Also, wasn't it a better move for some to choose to do so? Their efforts in their initial porjects may have been good, but I generally find that the spawned band is much better than the original, how does that work?
11.10.2006 - 20:22
ASiema113

As far as bands I listen to I don't really care if someone leaves the band unless it either changes how the band sounds for the worst or if it's a band I frequently listen to as well as lead guitarists although when someone like Doc dies and no longer can continue being in a band a feel like there has been a great loss even though Vader has bot been held back or slowed down by this and their new stuff is as brutal as ever.

But when it comes to my own experiances yes it really pisses me off when someone joins and I try to get them to learn all their parts and end up quitting a week later. Fucking waste of time in my opinion and what kills me the most is when they ask me to tab something out(which I find really fucking annoying) and they end up not using them. Also I had a guitarist who I lent my pedal to over the weekend and when I came back from Wisconsin I find out he quit and I can't contact him at all and before I even know it I've lost a $120 pedal. Not that it's the end of the world but when it happens over and over again it starts to drive me nuts. It's like their is no one who can stay commited for more then a week. I'm actually trying someone out this weekend and I hope this is'nt going to be a waste of time. I don't care if someone is going to quit(and I tell them this) as long as they tell me that they are no longer interested instead of saying they can't make it to practice and I have to cancel practice bc of that bullshit.
Yea I feel alot better know that I got that out anyways if you've taken the time to read all of this then I say Hails to you and your patience.

RIP Doc
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
12.10.2006 - 05:25
Ibanez07
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 03.09.2006 at 04:09

the only time a member has left a band where i think somethinf fishy went on was Nicholas Barker with Dimmu Borgir - apparently they all fell out and he was kicked out, but i want to know why...

I heard from a good friend of mine [huge Dimmu fan...from the start]. Apparently he became an extreme alcoholic. To the point where he was NEVER seen sober, and he couldn't play nearly as well [namely at that speed I suppose, fancy that?], so they had to cut him loose. I heard now he's basically bankrupt and living out of a bottle.
12.10.2006 - 07:00
Xaphiris

Martin Lopez has a phisical and mental condition that prevented him from touring. He inherited it from his father and was having trouble with anxiety attacks everytime they did a big gig or went on tour (he was getting sick everytime they were boarding a plane). Actually, I am really looking forward to hearing new Opeth material with Axe on the drums.

A big dissapointment for me was back when Morten left Tristania. Can anybody share his in-depth knowledge about this?
----
12.10.2006 - 07:15
Xaphiris

I myself was the best vocalist my ex-band found after trying out with a duzin chicks and 2 guys... I left because it was hard for me to be a frontman when I was the only Hungarian and the rest were Romanian. I was unconfortalbe with the fact that a chick played keyboards and she was dating the guitarist. Inbetween songs they always had their tongue down eachother's throat which really got to me because my girlfriend almost never showed up on rehearsals [probably because the guitarist was her ex]. What ever, I didn't care much for that, but these guys were on their instuments 24/7 while I tried to make room in my life for real work, a steady relationship and a mom who was constantly nagging about everything... shit just happens.
----
12.10.2006 - 10:30
marinBG

A band is a group of people that has to work toghether... and they have to fit together in many many ways... so if there's something worng and people don't get along, or don't want to play the same type of stuff, or somebody (or more than one) is being an asswipe, it's pretty logical for someone to quit or to get fired... I don't think bands are being dishonest about stuff like that... and it doesn't matter what we think, because it is usually caused by the inner workings of the band that we cannot possibly really understand, unless we know them personally... so it's a matter of free choice...
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
12.10.2006 - 10:38
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
I hate when the band makes songs as an attempt to show people that they are really good at guitaring, drumming.....etc. an example is Children Of Bodom they try to show everybody that they are really good at playing their instruments regardless of the fact that a lot of their songs sound the same.............
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
12.10.2006 - 10:56
marinBG

Written by iMPERiAL_iCE on 12.10.2006 at 10:38

I hate when the band makes songs as an attempt to show people that they are really good at guitaring, drumming.....etc. an example is Children Of Bodom they try to show everybody that they are really good at playing their instruments regardless of the fact that a lot of their songs sound the same.............

I totally disagree... I personally love Children Of Bodom's music, not only thier technique... I guess there is a certain vibe to most of thier songs, but with every new release they get more and more diverse... And I'm not really sure if this is a good or a bad thing... cause every Children Of Bodom fan will tell you that he wants all of the band's songs to sound in a certain way like for example Follow The Reaper or Hatebreeder... Anyway, I think Children Of Bodom are not show offs, but great musicians and Alexi Laiho for me is a genius of songwriting, but we're getting TOTALLY offtopic
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
14.10.2006 - 15:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i hate it when people say "well,he left because of musical differences..any other questions??!"
i mean,you could actually give a reason...
and always when people die,they always feel sorry for them-i wonder if lar$ ulrich died,if someone would say "dammit he was SUCH A PRICK"
18.10.2006 - 09:59
Eternal Flames

I don't hate it when musicians leave bands simply because it's their own choice. The main reasons given for a member leaving a band is either:
a) Musical Differences
b) Personal Issues
c) Health Related
For me, all three reasons are understandable and acceptable. What would dissappoint me would be if a musician stayed in a band not enjoying the direction they were heading it. This would lead on into the issue of "selling out" and playing simply for the money. Most metal fans have concluded the music is a form of art and it's a hobby in which some try to make a living out from it. If a member isn't enjoying it anymore, from a bands perspective, I would respect their decision to leave.

On a further note, the concept of musicians leaving and forming new bands is what has been keeping Metal strong. Dave Mustaine, Kai Hansen, both left their original band to form their own band and both were very successful. As for the members making up excuses for leaving the band, if they were to just post on their website they were leaving because they simply didn't want to be in the band anymore, I can already sense hundreds of complaints from fans wanting to know why. After the member announces their leave, they usually post a detailed article on their website explaining themselves anyway. In the end, we just have to respect their choices.
20.10.2006 - 18:21
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Poor you and drummer
28.10.2006 - 10:51
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Written by marinBG on 12.10.2006 at 10:56

Written by iMPERiAL_iCE on 12.10.2006 at 10:38

I totally disagree... I personally love Children Of Bodom's music, not only thier technique... I guess there is a certain vibe to most of thier songs, but with every new release they get more and more diverse... And I'm not really sure if this is a good or a bad thing... cause every Children Of Bodom fan will tell you that he wants all of the band's songs to sound in a certain way like for example Follow The Reaper or Hatebreeder... Anyway, I think Children Of Bodom are not show offs, but great musicians and Alexi Laiho for me is a genius of songwriting, but we're getting TOTALLY offtopic

I totally think u didn't understand me.....CoB are one of my favourite bands...but I hate the fact that they try to show off a lot in their songs (not that I hate it) but it gets annoying when u hear it a lot
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
28.10.2006 - 18:44
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I hate it when band members leave for religious reasons...I also hate it when band members leave because they think the band is becoming too commercial...
28.10.2006 - 19:11
danzig111
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 03.09.2006 at 04:09

Primal Fear and Masterplan

could you please explain that?
29.10.2006 - 15:04
Baz Anderson

well Ralf left Gamma Ray didnt he and started Primal Fear
and also Roland and Uli leaving Helloween to form Masterplan
07.12.2006 - 22:46
AssassiNation
Account deleted
Well, I left the band because I wanted to play more brutal music Different people - different choices.
08.12.2006 - 06:16
Mega-Slayer

I hate that all of my favorite bands who have their differences for example:Overkill,Megadeth,Malevolent Creation,all go unexplained.For example as someone stated earlier,they'll say "We just didn't see eye to eye,had musical difference's",fuck that,give a good reason,its the fans that want to know after all.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
12.12.2006 - 07:17
nana.MD
Star-Queen
hmm...i dont hate it when members leave bands because its their choice, and well they dont have to give explanations always...fans should know i agree with that but maybe its personal, who knows what's going on with some of them...i believe they have to be 100% sincere with the rest of the group, the rest comes along...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...