25 want it

01. Prison Born
02. The Ancient Covenant
03. Shape Shifters
04. Coldly Calculated Design
05. Xenochrist
06. Sons Of Belial
07. Legion Of The Serpent
08. Planetary Duality I (Hideous Revelation)
09. Planetary Duality II (A Prophecies Fruition)

Guest review by
-Morbid-
Rating:
N/A
The Faceless debuted with Akeldama a few years back. A tough album to classify, it combined technicality, brutality, some occasional melody, along with some deathcore-ish moments and keyboards. Overall it was a good album and showed the band at least trying to be unique amongst a sea of new "br00tal" bands, and even if the mixture of sounds didn't always work the best, it showed a lot of promise. On Planetary Duality, we see The Faceless losing the keyboards and deathcore-ish leanings and starting to realize some of the promise Akeldama showed, putting out a very solid album in the process.

Read more ››
published 18.05.2009 | Comments (5)

Found in 29 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 30   Visited by: 847 users
12.12.2010 - 23:23
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Amazing album.
13.12.2010 - 03:36
I_Die_Often

...sorry, I can't get into this band... seen them too many times opening for other bands and I'm really tired of their annoying emo audience...
Here in Minnesota we have so many of these bands and I'm sick of 'em all.

ever time I see a Faceless posting I feel inclined to bitch...
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
14.12.2010 - 17:58
Rating: 10
Demonmayonnaise

Written by I_Die_Often on 13.12.2010 at 03:36

...sorry, I can't get into this band... seen them too many times opening for other bands and I'm really tired of their annoying emo audience...

So you bitch about a band because of their audience?
15.12.2010 - 01:00
I_Die_Often

Written by Demonmayonnaise on 14.12.2010 at 17:58

Written by I_Die_Often on 13.12.2010 at 03:36

So you bitch about a band because of their audience?

Let's see... can't get into this band... seen them too many times opening for "good" bands... emo audience... too many of these bands in the frozen tundra of Minnesota... sick of it all....
More stated there than just the emo audience in their skinny jeans, retro Vans and bad hair cuts.
I'll go back to the Old Fart Metalstormers area now... OK
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
09.10.2011 - 15:18
Rating: 10
Moose

I do not understand the negative comments I've heard about this. Truly incredible album.
Only downside is the short length (32min).
08.07.2012 - 04:29
Rating: 9
infernaldeath87

Truly a great album, can't wait to see what they have in store in the near future.
01.07.2013 - 16:52
(o> . )

A masterpiece. Most of the deathcore is an utter shit. But this one with a bit of a prog and tech sound is a true masterpiece, which stands out of the crowd.
27.11.2013 - 01:34
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by (o> . ) on 01.07.2013 at 16:52

A masterpiece. Most of the deathcore is an utter shit. But this one with a bit of a prog and tech sound is a true masterpiece, which stands out of the crowd.

That's because this isn't even mildly deathcore
27.11.2013 - 01:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by LeKiwi on 27.11.2013 at 01:34

Agreed, this is pretty typical of a tech-death release, not sure what the deathcore comments are referring to.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.11.2013 - 09:00
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.11.2013 at 01:38

Agreed, this is pretty typical of a tech-death release, not sure what the deathcore comments are referring to.

Because too many people wrote them off as a "shit deathcore band" due to Akeldama, and therefore are too caught up in the stigma to be able to recognize that the band has completely stepped away from that genre.

I'm not the biggest fan of deathcore myself, but every now and again one of them manages to release an exceptional album in the genre, and that's exactly what Akeldama is. And I'll admit that I was surprised and happy to hear that they stepped away from deathcore with this release because in my experience if a band succeeds in releasing an exceptional deathcore album, they usually can't do it again.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

27.11.2013 - 15:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by psykometal on 27.11.2013 at 09:00
the stigma

You pretty much nailed it with this. Once people associate a band with the deathcore genre, its a lot more challenging for them to reinvent their image.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.11.2013 - 17:02
(o> . )

Written by LeKiwi on 27.11.2013 at 01:34

Written by (o> . ) on 01.07.2013 at 16:52

It kinda is. It's not a "straight" death metal.
28.11.2013 - 17:08
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by (o> . ) on 28.11.2013 at 17:02

It kinda is. It's not a "straight" death metal.

Progressive tech death
28.11.2013 - 19:03
(o> . )

Written by LeKiwi on 28.11.2013 at 17:08

Progressive tech death

Just because it's written it doesn't mean it necessarily has to be
28.11.2013 - 20:09
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by (o> . ) on 28.11.2013 at 19:03

Just because it's written it doesn't mean it necessarily has to be

Fair enough. Where do you hear deathcore elements, then?
28.11.2013 - 21:28
psykometal
A staff guy...
Gona have to side with LeKiwi on this one. With Planetary Duality The Faceless completely stepped away from Deathcore. I've listened to the album numerous times since it's release, and I have yet to hear any of the Deathcore sound from Akeldama. So it's written as Progressive tech death because the album IS a Progressive tech death album, not a Deathcore album.
----

08.12.2013 - 06:57
Lit.
Account deleted
I don't see why it being deathcore would be a problem anyway, unless you're some elitist jack-off.
08.12.2013 - 10:51
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Guest on 08.12.2013 at 06:57

unless you're some elitist jack-off.

Or somebody who genuinely doesn't care for most Deathcore. If it was still a Deathcore album, AND it was a GOOD Deathcore album, I would not snuff my nose at it. For example, in general, I am not a fan of Deathcore, but not because I'm an Elitist snob who doesn't even give Deathcore bands a chance before condemning them.

But that is neither here nor there because this is NOT a Deathcore album.
----

08.12.2013 - 14:07
Uldreth

As far as I recall this one does have quite some bits of stop-start riffing.

That does not make anything deathcore however, but definitely is a trait that is generally associated with -core music since pretty much all -core music aside from the earliest hardcore bands make heavy use of stop-start dynamics.
22.01.2014 - 09:53
Korah

Thanks to Jason Becker who played at the beginning of "Legion of the Serpent"
----
Don't cry for my English
13.01.2015 - 00:06
Rating: 7
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I kinda liked akeldama but i cant stand this one... the band seems more mature but no song seems to me as good as those of their previous album...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
03.10.2016 - 21:44
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 03.10.2016 at 18:56

The only faceless album i REALLY don't like. love autotheism, akeldema is meh-good, this is just technical boring shit

I won't say it's a bad record. But, it is targeted for a reason that "Autotheism" gone onto becoming one of the most interesting record by The Faceless. Also, stepping into new direction has favored them and bought lot of backslash towards "Planetary Duality".

So, it will be a bit unfair plucking unnecessary flaws out of this which happens to be a very produce and decent album.
04.10.2016 - 08:18
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 04.10.2016 at 00:01

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 03.10.2016 at 21:44

Written by Guest on 03.10.2016 at 18:56

The only faceless album i REALLY don't like. love autotheism, akeldema is meh-good, this is just technical boring shit

I won't say it's a bad record. But, it is targeted for a reason that "Autotheism" gone onto becoming one of the most interesting record by The Faceless. Also, stepping into new direction has favored them and bought lot of backslash towards "Planetary Duality".

So, it will be a bit unfair plucking unnecessary flaws out of this which happens to be a very produce and decent album.

The main reason i don't like it isn't because the others are better, it's because i find it boring.

May be.

I'll still feel "Planetary Duality" shadowed by "Autotheism" due to evolving of different musical structure, varying different line of notes and sheer deliverance. If it pops up on tab, i won't be skipping it for sure.
09.02.2019 - 19:26
Rating: 8
Mountain King
K i K o
It's a grower and someone who is not accustomed to such a genre needs to listen to it repeadetly in order to appreciate the insturmentation in this one. It's a good album definitely but I am not a fan of harsh vocals but I am rating this album by the technicality and the cool passages.

I can only say that the songs often sound the same but they have some different and slower moments lie in "XenoChrist" which is one of the coolest tracks here in my opinion.
22.08.2021 - 12:53
Mehrad

It's not "straight" death metal.

Yeah it's gay death metal hahaha
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
22.08.2021 - 12:55
Mehrad

To be honest I consider this deathcore, if not, it's the most deathcore non-deathcore album that I've heard. Not that it's a bad thing. The title track part 2 was the best track IMO.
----
25.08.2021 - 19:15
(o> . )

Written by Mehrad on 22.08.2021 at 12:53

It's not "straight" death metal.

Yeah it's gay death metal hahaha

bwahahahaha le funne
26.08.2021 - 00:04
Mehrad

----
06.09.2022 - 23:55
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Yes it's very technical and some pretty decent musicianship has surely gone into this no doubt, but structurally there's nothing much that really sparked my interest shout it, and the melodies were lacking.
13.06.2023 - 07:46
Bjamm

There are deathcore elements. The most obvious moments are in Xenochrist. Fairly technical. I quite like that short melodic part in the middle of Sons Of Belial. Nothing more stands out for me, unfortunately.

Hits total: 15621 | This month: 45