Metal Storm logo
Obscura - Guitarist Working On Instrumental Solo Album

As posted on Blabbermouth, guitarist Christian Muenzner of German progressive death metallers Obscura is working on an instrumental guitar record for a tentative spring release.

The album will feature Hannes Grossmann ( Obscura, Blotted Science) on drums, Steve DiGiorgio ( Sadus, Death, Iced Earth) on bass and Daniel Galmarini (Mercury Falling) on keyboards, with guest appearances by Ryan Knight ( The Black Dahlia Murder, ex- Arsis), Per Nilsson ( Scar Symmetry, Kaipa) and Bob Katsionis ( Firewind). Vic Santura ( Dark Fortress, Triptykon) will handle the production duties on the CD, the drums for which will be laid down starting on December 27.

Commented Muenzner: "Being a fan of instrumental guitar music for many years, this has always been a dream of mine. After I finished recording my guitar parts for the upcoming Obscura album Omnivium, I felt quite inspired and spent all of my free time working on the songs for this project.

The CD is gonna contain 12 instrumental songs. Stylistically, the music is quite diverse and has influences from various genres such as neoclassical shred, fusion, power metal, hard rock, prog and thrash metal. And, of course, the songs will have guitar all over it! I like to describe it as '80s Shrapnel Records shred meets modern metal.

I am super-happy and honored that some of the world's best metal musicians agreed to work on this album with me! I'm very excited and can't wait to hear their contributions!"

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Obscura
Posted: 18.12.2010 by Sorgblad

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 11   Visited by: 99 users
18.12.2010 - 12:34
Kriegsphilosoph
Account deleted
What a line-up! This'll, for sure, be an awesome album!
18.12.2010 - 12:35
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Wow. I'd love to hear this. Steve DiGiorgio on bass... I am stocked.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
18.12.2010 - 12:38
Aegri Somnia
Account deleted
Now, this seems interesting.
18.12.2010 - 13:28
ImperialTroll
Account deleted
WOW that's an explosive combination! can't wait to hear it
18.12.2010 - 13:29
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
The only thing i needed to read was "Steve DiGiorgio".
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
18.12.2010 - 15:23
arj

Yes give me more!
18.12.2010 - 17:54
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Consider my interest piqued!
18.12.2010 - 23:31
nb

Never heard of Obscura, but I will check them out as well. I am always interested in checking instrumental albums, that is how I got into Nevermore, I first heard Jeff Loomis' instrumental album. I recently listened to John Petrucci's Suspended animation and it is awesome.
By the way, 80's shrapnel definitely makes it quite interesting.
19.12.2010 - 13:47
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by nb on 18.12.2010 at 23:31
Never heard of Obscura, but I will check them out as well
Considering your last sentence and your ratings for Death and Septicflesh, I can recommend their Cosmogenesis as one of last year's best albums with death vocals. I've got the song with the video in my head right now
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
20.12.2010 - 00:11
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I read this on Obscura's Facebook and got stoked, it will be interesting for sure.

Oh, by the way, for some unknown reason, this news is linked to Blotted Science's profile instead of the one of Obscura.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
20.12.2010 - 14:26
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Daggon on 20.12.2010 at 00:11
Oh, by the way, for some unknown reason, this news is linked to Blotted Science's profile instead of the one of Obscura.
It seems smart to me - Obscura fans know that band is working on something so they'll be keeping an eye on the news anyway, while people with Blotted in their fav bands list will get a notification. Sounds quite fitting
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays

Hits total: 3323 | This month: 3