Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater - Another Update On The Mike Portnoy Saga

There has been a plethora of rumors, misinformation and speculations surrounding the whole Mike Portnoy affair. Here's an attempt to clear up some confusion.

Numero uno: Mike Portnoy didn't get kicked out of Avenged Sevenfold.

• Avenged Sevenfold released the following statement a couple of days ago:

"For the past few months, we've been blessed with Mike Portnoy's talent and humanity. When Mike agreed to tour with us, it was only through the end of 2010. We always knew we'd need to find another solution for 2011 and beyond. And it's time for us to take that next step."

• And here's what Avenged Sevenfold's manager Larry Jacobson wrote to West Coast Sound denying any correlation between Mike Portnoy's departure and the Australian tour's cancellation:

"The plan had always been for Mike Portnoy to play with the band through 2010. Nothing changed there but it was confusing because Mike gave interviews suggesting he may be touring with the band beyond 2010. There will be another drummer behind the kit for the band's Nightmare After Christmas Tour as well as for the many other dates around the world that are underway into 2011 and beyond.

As for Australia, the timing is completely unrelated. If you've read any of the juvenile and public attacks by the promoter, you can probably figure out why the band had legitimate doubts they could work with him to be able to put on the professional show their fans expect. They're not in Australia every day so each tour needs to be the best the band has to offer."

More importantly: Mike Portnoy is NOT going to rejoin Dream Theater any time soon.

• In early December guitarist John Petrucci said the following:

"I know that the big question is "Who is the new Dream Theater drummer?" I also realize that some people are getting frustrated waiting for the news.

Well, auditions went great and we do have someone but we are spending some time getting everything in order before making an official announcement. Let me just say that we are all incredibly excited about our choice and just bursting at the seams to let the world know!"

FYI: Dream Theater will appear at the High Voltage Festival in London on July 24, 2011. So we'll know by then.

• And just today Mike Portnoy issued the following statement on his official forum:

"Just for the record, this is indeed true...

Fairly recently, I reached out to the guys to try and make amends and offered to reconcile for the sake of having peace back in our lives... (plus I know how much it meant to alot of the fans...). I figured it was still possible to try and save us because they hadn't made any announcements yet or begun any public activity with another drummer... but sadly, they declined my offer (well, actually their lawyer did... they didn't even tell me themselves...)

Sorry gang, I honestly gave it my all... So now the fans on my twitter and facebook can please stop asking me to go back to Dream Theater... I tried, and the door is now shut... the ball is now in their court, not mine...

PS - I'm not crying or looking for mercy by posting this... I am merely trying to set the record straight as that is always the most important thing about my relationship with you guys... no BS, no spins, nothing to hide... and for better or for worse, I tell it like it is...

I've also recently seen some people accuse my online activity of "looking for attention or media coverage" or "looking for sympathy", but it's honestly none of the above... I merely value having an open and active communication with my fans... always have, always will... it is the cornerstone of everything I've done since day #1 with DT...

This was posted here FOR YOU GUYS to know about... here on MY message board on MY website... if it ends up on Blabbermouth or some other website that chooses to sensationalize it (guilty!), that is THEIR doing... I did not send it out or create a "press release"... I am merely responding on a thread on my own Forum...

Anyways, onward and upward. I've got a lot of great music and ideas waiting to come out of me and alot of exciting collaborations in the works... so goodbye 2010... bring on 2011!"

So there you have it.

Source: mikeportnoy.com
    Band profile: Dream Theater
  • Posted: 20.12.2010 by Thryce

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
    Comments: 36   Visited by: 497 users
    21.12.2010 - 21:52
    Dark Blood
    The Avenger
    Er... I think PEOPLE are the ones making the drama/fuss/whatever-you-wanna-call-it. He just joined that band and said since the beginning it was only till the end of the year.
    About DT... he quit, and people are still in denial about it and are creating expectations that don't exist about him coming back to the band. It was all clear to me what was going on, so why bitch about it or blame him from whatever the reason is.
    ----
    It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
    22.12.2010 - 05:04
    Mad Mike

All the Portnoydonna drama aside. Let me say who I think DT may have chosen to fill the throne...

I've said this from the get-go, that Richard Christy would be the best choice imho. His technical proficiency is on par with Mike's, and he has plenty of experience. It would make a lot of sense for him to be the replacement, but you never know.
    ----
    Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?
    22.12.2010 - 10:17
    jupitreas
    hi-fi / lo-life
    Richard is happily employed by Howard Stern and doesnt seem to have any plans of leaving, so I doubt that he'd be willing to go on tour with DT or any other band. Even his own band Charred Walls Of The Damned tours very sporadically for this very reason.
    22.12.2010 - 15:12
    Mad Mike

I wasn't implying that he'd be available, I'm just saying he'd be the best choice.
    ----
    Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?
    29.12.2010 - 00:32
    Introspekrieg
    Totemic Lust
    So... it's rumored the replacement is Marco Minnemann [Kreator, Necrophagist, Paul Gilbert]. Very good news for DT.
    29.12.2010 - 14:32
    DrM
    DreaMutilated
    Two words - Matin Lopez. Now THAT would be nice!

Hits total: 7824 | This month: 10