Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater - Another Update On The Mike Portnoy Saga

There has been a plethora of rumors, misinformation and speculations surrounding the whole Mike Portnoy affair. Here's an attempt to clear up some confusion.

Numero uno: Mike Portnoy didn't get kicked out of Avenged Sevenfold.

• Avenged Sevenfold released the following statement a couple of days ago:

"For the past few months, we've been blessed with Mike Portnoy's talent and humanity. When Mike agreed to tour with us, it was only through the end of 2010. We always knew we'd need to find another solution for 2011 and beyond. And it's time for us to take that next step."

• And here's what Avenged Sevenfold's manager Larry Jacobson wrote to West Coast Sound denying any correlation between Mike Portnoy's departure and the Australian tour's cancellation:

"The plan had always been for Mike Portnoy to play with the band through 2010. Nothing changed there but it was confusing because Mike gave interviews suggesting he may be touring with the band beyond 2010. There will be another drummer behind the kit for the band's Nightmare After Christmas Tour as well as for the many other dates around the world that are underway into 2011 and beyond.

As for Australia, the timing is completely unrelated. If you've read any of the juvenile and public attacks by the promoter, you can probably figure out why the band had legitimate doubts they could work with him to be able to put on the professional show their fans expect. They're not in Australia every day so each tour needs to be the best the band has to offer."

More importantly: Mike Portnoy is NOT going to rejoin Dream Theater any time soon.

• In early December guitarist John Petrucci said the following:

"I know that the big question is "Who is the new Dream Theater drummer?" I also realize that some people are getting frustrated waiting for the news.

Well, auditions went great and we do have someone but we are spending some time getting everything in order before making an official announcement. Let me just say that we are all incredibly excited about our choice and just bursting at the seams to let the world know!"

FYI: Dream Theater will appear at the High Voltage Festival in London on July 24, 2011. So we'll know by then.

• And just today Mike Portnoy issued the following statement on his official forum:

"Just for the record, this is indeed true...

Fairly recently, I reached out to the guys to try and make amends and offered to reconcile for the sake of having peace back in our lives... (plus I know how much it meant to alot of the fans...). I figured it was still possible to try and save us because they hadn't made any announcements yet or begun any public activity with another drummer... but sadly, they declined my offer (well, actually their lawyer did... they didn't even tell me themselves...)

Sorry gang, I honestly gave it my all... So now the fans on my twitter and facebook can please stop asking me to go back to Dream Theater... I tried, and the door is now shut... the ball is now in their court, not mine...

PS - I'm not crying or looking for mercy by posting this... I am merely trying to set the record straight as that is always the most important thing about my relationship with you guys... no BS, no spins, nothing to hide... and for better or for worse, I tell it like it is...

I've also recently seen some people accuse my online activity of "looking for attention or media coverage" or "looking for sympathy", but it's honestly none of the above... I merely value having an open and active communication with my fans... always have, always will... it is the cornerstone of everything I've done since day #1 with DT...

This was posted here FOR YOU GUYS to know about... here on MY message board on MY website... if it ends up on Blabbermouth or some other website that chooses to sensationalize it (guilty!), that is THEIR doing... I did not send it out or create a "press release"... I am merely responding on a thread on my own Forum...

Anyways, onward and upward. I've got a lot of great music and ideas waiting to come out of me and alot of exciting collaborations in the works... so goodbye 2010... bring on 2011!"

So there you have it.

Source: mikeportnoy.com
    Band profile: Dream Theater
  • Posted: 20.12.2010 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
    Comments: 36   Visited by: 497 users
    20.12.2010 - 22:01
    JÄY
    Metal slave
    Whew
    20.12.2010 - 22:09
    Carl Berg
    Carl Berg
    Another entry in the Best Drama 2010 category?
    20.12.2010 - 22:16
    JohnDoe
    Account deleted
    I'm already sick and tired of all these DT news. They're close to becoming prog-metal divas.
    20.12.2010 - 22:16
    MetallicA_3

It's ur fault from the beginning Mike and u deserve that
    20.12.2010 - 22:18
    Mr.Wilson

Written by Guest on 20.12.2010 at 22:16

I'm already sick and tired of all these DT news. They're close to becoming prog-metal divas.

Mike Portnoy is the one who is making all the fuzz!! the guys in DT are quiet!
    ----
    "..Damned in any Language..."
    20.12.2010 - 22:24
    JohnDoe
    Account deleted
    Written by Mr.Wilson on 20.12.2010 at 22:18

why won't they reveal the name of the new drummer already since they said they have already chosen one. I don't understand what's the big deal.
    20.12.2010 - 22:59
    Lit. Metalhead
    Account deleted
    Update? More like more bitching.
    20.12.2010 - 23:34
    Vombatus
    Potorro
    Mike got pwnd... now he starts crying hahaha
    21.12.2010 - 00:11
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Well MS avards best drama...what be next year Kerry King leave Slayer and join in Stratovarius?
    ----
    Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
    apos;'
    [image]
    I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
    21.12.2010 - 00:58
    Elodie Artour
    Slania
    "if it ends up on Blabbermouth or some other website that chooses to sensationalize it (guilty!)"

Busted, my dearest! You're guilty!

I can already tell who's gonna win the next 'Best Drama' award of ours.
    ----
    Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
    21.12.2010 - 00:59
    Holy Man
    STEEL DEFENDER
    Yeah... his career's over... good riddance... welcome to the wonderful world of Tim Owens' life...
    ----
    LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
    21.12.2010 - 01:10
    RafaRata

Lol, silly Portnoy, what did he expected??
    21.12.2010 - 01:12
    JohnDoe
    Account deleted
    Written by Holy Man on 21.12.2010 at 00:59

Yeah... his career's over... good riddance... welcome to the wonderful world of Tim Owens' life...

his career is not over,he still is a respected drummer, he'll make some band and he is a session musician for many other artists (Neal Morse for example).
    21.12.2010 - 01:13
    paulo figueiredo
    Account deleted
    Hey Portnoy why don't you carry on with that project with Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt so you can be kicked out of that band too?
    Have you been kicked out of Transatlantic yet?
    21.12.2010 - 01:16
    JohnDoe
    Account deleted
    Written by Guest on 21.12.2010 at 01:13

Hey Portnoy why don't you carry on with that project with Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt so you can be kicked out of that band too?
    Have you been kicked out of Transatlantic yet?

that's just mean. Transatlantic is a side project, they get together to have fun and do things they don't do with their bands.
    21.12.2010 - 01:25
    Holy Man
    STEEL DEFENDER
    This whole thing just sounds like a publicized identity crisis... his every move will be posted all over the place, until (hopefully) he finally stumbles upon his "true calling and identity". At which point it's going to be some totally random, boring, "eccentric" project that makes no sense, and he will become yet another musician whose legacy (in this case Dream Theater) is cherished, but he basically became a total loon after that. Think Metallica...
    ----
    LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
    21.12.2010 - 01:25
    Mr.Wilson

Written by Guest on 20.12.2010 at 22:24

Written by Mr.Wilson on 20.12.2010 at 22:18

why won't they reveal the name of the new drummer already since they said they have already chosen one. I don't understand what's the big deal.

Yeah i agree with you, but i think they want to be 100% sure before revealing, ohhh lets wait...
    ----
    "..Damned in any Language..."
    21.12.2010 - 01:36
    Kap'N Korrupt
    Account deleted
    I personally think that MP is trying to create drama even though he's saying he isn't...if he didn't want drama and attention, he wouldn't post things that would bring attention to him...the DT boys are quiet anyway about things, especially Myung...you never hear Myung's opinion on anything...the fact that MP was faced with their lawyers is pretty intense...and the side project thing with Alkerfelt, Wilson and Portnoy will no doubt go on...the heat needs to die down from all the other crap...
    21.12.2010 - 02:14
    Adus11

Looking forward to Dream Theater's next project without Portnoy. I enjoyed Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds musically, but the lyrics were pretty bad. Maybe now the remaining guys will all collaborate to make something more substantial this time around.
    21.12.2010 - 02:26
    Thryce
    Retired Staff
    Written by Guest on 21.12.2010 at 01:36

...and the side project thing with Alkerfelt, Wilson and Portnoy will no doubt go on...

Uhm, nope. According to Åkerfeldt, Portnoy is no longer involved in that project, [Link]. Captain Buzzkill at your service.
    ----
    Your favorite band sucks.
    21.12.2010 - 03:17
    Kap'N Korrupt
    Account deleted
    Written by Thryce on 21.12.2010 at 02:26

...and the side project thing with Alkerfelt, Wilson and Portnoy will no doubt go on...

Uhm, nope. According to Ã?kerfeldt, Portnoy is no longer involved in that project, [Link]. Captain Buzzkill at your service.

lol...thanks A LOT Buzz Killington! But...I guess it just wasn't meant to be, eh? Would've been awesome to see what those three great minds could produce...
    21.12.2010 - 08:56
    BudDa

Hope this news now finally puts an end to this drama..
    ----
    Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
    21.12.2010 - 09:34
    Aetherius

Interesting... lol
    21.12.2010 - 10:16
    Ellrohir
    Heaven Knight
    Epic
    ----
    My rest seems now calm and deep
    Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.12.2010 - 10:23
    Raziel X

Stratovarius anybody? *cough* *cough* tolkki drama *cough**cough**cough* ?
    21.12.2010 - 10:57
    Acolyt#1

Damn that's a lot of points of ellipsis in so little sentences! Mike, get some writing lessons!!
    21.12.2010 - 11:56
    BloodTears
    ANA-thema
    I'm just sad it got to this.

Now let's move on from all this disappointment.
    ----
    Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
    21.12.2010 - 16:17
    4look4rd
    The Sasquatch
    Lets lock Ghaal, Tolkki, and Portnoy in a room and wait for them to either make a band or kill eachother =D
    ----
    21.12.2010 - 16:55
    Darkside Momo
    Retired
    Written by Thryce on 21.12.2010 at 02:26

Uhm, nope. According to Åkerfeldt, Portnoy is no longer involved in that project, [Link]. Captain Buzzkill at your service.

Welll basically Portnoy just has to knock at the door of the nearest job agency, right?
    I guess he regrets his mistake bitterly, now...
    ----
    My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
    I'm stealing back my soul
    I am awake"
    21.12.2010 - 17:04
    BitterCOld
    The Ancient One
    "have drumsticks, will travel"
    ----
    get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 7825 | This month: 11