02. Dying Brokenhearted
03. The Shepherd And The Maiden Ghost
04. The Sad Song Of The Wind
05. Wehmut
06. A Pastoral Theme
07. Abendrot
08. Many Moons Ago...
09. When Shadows Grow Longer ('99)

"Good things come in small packages". I'm sure almost all of us have heard of this proverb. The meaning behind it is obvious: the magnitude of things does not necessarily indicate their quality, many-a-times it's the other way around (if you're, for any reason, having any sort of "dirty" thoughts related with the proverb, consult a psychiatrist right away, freak!). Where At Night The Wood Grouse Sings is the living, breathing example of this proverb. Sophisticated, elegant, beautiful, the adjectives keep rolling in?

With Where At Night The Wood Grouse Sings, the German metallers Empyrium make a drastic change from their unique blend of Doom-Folk sound that they have been plying on their first two releases, opting instead for a lighter, more darker form of Neo-Folk. I am aware of similar works by Agalloch and Ulver (among others), but in my opinion Empyrium surpasses them all, with beautiful, intimate music woven skillfully with heart-rending background choirs and soulful singing, resulting in the creation of surreal, magical moments. Everytime I hear Where At Night The Wood Grouse Sings, vivid imageries of nature and folklores lost throughout time seem to resonate inside my head. If that's not grand, then what is?

Where At Night The Wood Grouse Sings clocks in at just over half an hour, but don't let its duration fool you! This one packs a punch more powerful than a frenzied Mike Tyson! What you have here is nine exquisite, breathtaking masterpieces that are sure to keep your ears ringing for a long time to come. Whether it's the chilling whispers of "The Maiden" in "The Shephard And The Maiden Ghost," the sobbing guitars in "The Sad Song Of The Wind," or the trilogy of instrumentals forming the core of Where At Night The Wood Grouse Sings, this album is riddled with highlights. Probably its greatest advantage is its duration itself; before you know it, it's OVER! It does not take a big chunk of your precious time, compatible with any sober moments you accommodate just for yourself. It's the perfect album for those times when you're overwhelmed with a feeling of loneliness...

There's a famous saying by Mark Twain, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." This quote summarizes my feelings for Where At Night The Wood Grouse Sings perfectly. Good music doesn't necessarily have to be metal. Good music is one which has an effect on you on a sentient level, and instills in you feelings which cannot be expressed by words alone. If you're a fan of dark, image-invoking music, [i]Where At Night The Wood Grouse Sings[i] cannot be ignored. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Until then, fare thee well, traveller.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Mechanist | 26.12.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 136 users
26.12.2010 - 22:06
Rating: 9
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Fine review, but its Where At Night The Woodgrouse Plays
26.12.2010 - 22:09
Mechanist
Account deleted
Written by Marcus on 26.12.2010 at 22:06

O.H.M.Y.G.O.D O_o

I feel like a douchebag...thanks for the correction, dude.
26.12.2010 - 22:21
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by Guest on 26.12.2010 at 22:09

O.H.M.Y.G.O.D O_o

Haha no worries man, just next time you do a review get the name right!
26.12.2010 - 22:23
Mechanist
Account deleted
Written by Marcus on 26.12.2010 at 22:21

Written by Guest on 26.12.2010 at 22:09

O.H.M.Y.G.O.D O_o

Haha no worries man, just next time you do a review get the name right!

27.12.2010 - 17:43
advent

Unique album & unresisting charm .Btw nice review.
15.10.2011 - 22:48
@gent_-_orange

It reminds me of Ulver's Kveldssanger and that is a very good thing indeed. Very simple but honest and beautiful music.

Hits total: 5249 | This month: 8