04. Possession Is The Medicine
05. Jesus Fever
06. I Hold Your Light
07. A Sutra Of Wounds
08. The Ascendent Grotesque

Guest review by
Eternity'sChild
Rating:
How melodic can black metal really get, while still having the necessary brutality remaining so it can still be categorized as black metal? Though I'm not too much of a friend of genre tagging, Code's Resplendent Grotesque would be a rather good album choice to answer this question.

Before their recent, and rather drastic, change in style, Code were a very unique sounding black metal outfit. They stick out in many ways, especially because they perform quite solid blackish music mixed with both guttural and clean vocals by former vocalist Kvohst. He also has a very unique voice and uses it with a lot of energy, adding a lot to the album's overall pretty dark sound. But not only are the vocals a stand out point here. The songwriting as well is excellent, managing to make every song a special experience and displaying the band's qualities. It also is able to generate dark atmospheres through some occasional softer parts that will drag you further into the album's blackness. The good balance between the different vocal styles and different types of rather dark atmospheres provide a fresh amount of variety as well.

Read more ››
published 14.07.2015 | Comments (0)

Found in 5 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 151 users
29.12.2010 - 21:24
Kropy

Musicianship: 8
Vocal: 9
Atmosphere: 9
Melody: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 8
CD Covers: 8

Best Songs:
01. Smother The Crones
03. The Rattle Of Black Teeth
05. Jesus Fever
23.10.2012 - 18:24
Rating: 9
InnerSelf
proofread free
Ah, how infinitely brilliant (and apparently really underrated) this album is !
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
29.05.2014 - 18:40
Rating: 7
Ilham
Giant robot
I can't take it out of my head now, every time Kvohst goes clean on his vocals, I hear Morrissey. It doesn't sound like it, but for me it's a plus.
29.05.2014 - 19:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 29.05.2014 at 18:40

I can't take it out of my head now, every time Kvohst goes clean on his vocals, I hear Morrissey. It doesn't sound like it, but for me it's a plus.

Here's his performance at Temples. Definitely invoking the spirit of Morrissey a bit.

29.05.2014 - 20:22
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 29.05.2014 at 19:23

Here's his performance at Temples. Definitely invoking the spirit of Morrissey a bit.

Well, the gestures are Morrissey-sque, but it doesn't suit him. Honestly, the voice, it sounds like a happy, healthy and awaken Robert Smith, if that's possible.
29.05.2014 - 20:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 29.05.2014 at 20:22

Well, the gestures are Morrissey-sque, but it doesn't suit him. Honestly, the voice, it sounds like a happy, healthy and awaken Robert Smith, if that's possible.

He looks too much like a pretty-boy Mike Patton. He needs to be jerky, weird and inhuman onstage I think.
29.05.2014 - 20:30
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 29.05.2014 at 20:24

He looks too much like a pretty-boy Mike Patton. He needs to be jerky, weird and inhuman onstage I think.

Haha, well, they both don't look bad at all. Mike Patton should shave that disgrace he calls a goatee, but otherwise, I'd tap that. Yeah the presence on stage needs a little work. Jerky and weird yes, just as long as it doesn't become a Thom Yorke or Ian Curtis, we're ok. What do you think about the Robert Smith comparison, am I just imagining it? I can't be.
29.05.2014 - 20:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 29.05.2014 at 20:30

Haha, well, they both don't look bad at all. Mike Patton should shave that disgrace he calls a goatee, but otherwise, I'd tap that. Yeah the presence on stage needs a little work. Jerky and weird yes, just as long as it doesn't become a Thom Yorke or Ian Curtis, we're ok. What do you think about the Robert Smith comparison, am I just imagining it? I can't be.

I'd probably hit him too, if only for his coolness. I bet he does weird things in the sack.

I personally don't think anyone should have to suffer the fate of looking like Rob Smith, but I agree a young Smith would suit his voice.
29.05.2014 - 20:44
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 29.05.2014 at 20:35

I'd probably hit him too, if only for his coolness. I bet he does weird things in the sack.

If I add this statement to the one about the troll-women you slept with, I end up thinking you have a very peculiar sex life.
29.05.2014 - 20:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 29.05.2014 at 20:44

If I add this statement to the one about the troll-women you slept with, I end up thinking you have a very peculiar sex life.

I'm not saying anything...
29.05.2014 - 20:49
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 29.05.2014 at 20:45

I'm not saying anything...

Say no more, say no more... I get it.

29.05.2014 - 20:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 29.05.2014 at 20:49

Say no more, say no more... I get it.

indeed.
17.09.2014 - 14:01
Growing

Written by Ilham on 29.05.2014 at 20:30

Written by Guest on 29.05.2014 at 20:24

Ian Curtis was a total boss onstage, we need more guys like him.
21.01.2016 - 16:43
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Pretty decent - reminds me of Enslaved at times. The clean vocals put me off though

Hits total: 7426 | This month: 10