Metal Storm logo
Stormtroopers of Death

04.09.2006 - 05:56
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Stormtroopers of Death is a hardcore/thrash band formed by Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian in 1985 and featured fellow Anthrax drummer Charlie Benante and bassist Dan Lilker. There aren't too many bands faster than SOD. The song, Milk, easily has faster drumming than any other song in any genre. Their debut album, Speak English or Die, is their best album and it's a shame they aren't around anymore. Any thoughts?
04.09.2006 - 19:31
-Valhalla-

Good band, they deffinately have alot of skinhead punk influences though. Thier intolerance for everything makes them a good band to listen to when you're pissed.

Free Dirty Needles!
----
A decapitated head could remain conscious for up to 30 seconds after being removed, offering the victim a truly unique perspective on the world for those last few moments.
04.09.2006 - 20:04
Daru Jericho

Ah yeah, more commonly known as SOD, right?

If so, I've heard a couple of songs and they were good. Indeed the punk influence is quite clear. I really should check out some more stuff.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

04.09.2006 - 20:44
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Obviously there are a lot of faster bands than SOD but they are definitely a great band nonetheless. Highly influential on the hardcore and crossover genres, they are also commonly recognized as either the creators or at least very early users of the blast beat ("Milk"). The skinhead thing is mainly related to their singer, Billy Milano who was indeed a skinhead when the band was first formed. The thing is, skinheads werent as closely associated with racist or neo-nazi ideology and were in fact basically a type of punk. Therefore, SOD definitely isnt actually a racist, sexist or whatever band (their lyrics deal with these themes in a humorous way though).
04.09.2006 - 20:50
Lucas
Mr. Noise
They rock my socks!

Really, I love them to the bone. A band which show they have fun and just play and drink beer, lovely!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.09.2006 - 21:29
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
there are many variations of skinheads in the US. i'm going to take a stab and suggest that Scott Ian (real name Scott Ian Rosenfeld), who is jewish, would not actively recruit a neo-nazi into his side project.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.09.2006 - 08:44
X-pert74
Account deleted
Skinheads and racism aren't necessarily synonymous.

Milk is an example of a very early usage of blastbeats, but it's not the first. D.R.I.'s song No Sense has blastbeats in it, and it was released around 1983 or so.

I remember after I got Speak English Or Die a couple years ago, I became a huge S.O.D. fan for about a year, and I wound up getting Bigger Than The Devil, Live At Budokan and Kill Yourself: The Movie. I even got the old Crab Society North demo. Nowadays I don't really like to listen to S.O.D. anymore, though. I just got burnt out on their music, and I stopped finding the humorous tracks funny. I still respect S.O.D. and their influence on the Metal and Hardcore scenes though.
28.11.2006 - 07:49
crown
Account deleted
I only heard an SOD track from the Bigger Than The Devil album....I always wanted to buy their stuff I think anything these guys do should be good.
17.07.2010 - 11:12
vezzy
Stallmanite
Hey Alex, what the f**k is that noise?

S.O.D. are legendary. Now we have stuff like Tenacious D which is NOWHERE near as good, but for some reason people love it. Speak English or Die should be a cherished album.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
17.07.2010 - 20:27
Ur-Drago

Written by Dangerboner on 04.09.2006 at 05:56

Stormtroopers of Death is a hardcore/thrash band formed by Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian in 1985 and featured fellow Anthrax drummer Charlie Benante and bassist Dan Lilker. There aren't too many bands faster than SOD. The song, Milk, easily has faster drumming than any other song in any genre. Their debut album, Speak English or Die, is their best album and it's a shame they aren't around anymore. Any thoughts?

Awesome.

It's great crossover Thrash. My only gripe was the album had way too much filler in it(although some was purely hilarious like the aforementioned noise song).
17.07.2010 - 21:59
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Ur-Drago on 17.07.2010 at 20:27

Written by Dangerboner on 04.09.2006 at 05:56

Awesome.

It's great crossover Thrash. My only gripe was the album had way too much filler in it(although some was purely hilarious like the aforementioned noise song).

Um, wasn't the album all about the filler? You know, crap like "Anti-Procrastination Song", "Hey Gordy!", the legendary "Ballad of Jimi Hendrix" (S.O.D./M.O.D. ballads were original at first, although they get old and the fake YouTube ones that are around suck).

The whole album was supposed to be a powerful, energy-filled and humorous crossover album, short too, it experimented with the "microsong" phenomenon that would later become a staple for more popular grindcore bands. It clocks just 20 seconds short of half an hour.
----
17.07.2010 - 22:07
Ur-Drago

Yes, you're right.

It was humorous the first couple of times, after that it got bland and boring. I found myself skipping tracks all the time. Meh. What few songs stuck will always stick. The rest I regard as filler.

It was groundbreaking to be sure and will always be heralded as such, but it will be both bitter/sweet for me.
17.07.2010 - 22:25
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Ur-Drago on 17.07.2010 at 22:07

Yes, you're right.

It was humorous the first couple of times, after that it got bland and boring. I found myself skipping tracks all the time. Meh. What few songs stuck will always stick. The rest I regard as filler.

It was groundbreaking to be sure and will always be heralded as such, but it will be both bitter/sweet for me.

It still beats Tenacious D any day.
----
17.07.2010 - 22:46
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Outside of the letter "D" what the fuck does Tenacious D have to do with SOD?
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.07.2010 - 22:49
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by BitterCOld on 17.07.2010 at 22:46

Well, both are considered "comedic metal". But Tenacious D is more well known. Then again, I guess I could also put in Green Jelly, which is even less known than S.O.D...

*shrug* =|
----
17.07.2010 - 22:59
Ur-Drago

LITTLE PIG LITTLE PIG LET ME IN!!!!

That sounds like bestiality to me.

I couldn't even tell you a song that Tenacious D did. Maybe S.O.D. should rename the The Ballad Of Jimmy Hendrix to Tenacious D instead?
17.07.2010 - 23:01
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Ur-Drago on 17.07.2010 at 22:59

I couldn't even tell you a song that Tenacious D did. Maybe S.O.D. should rename the The Ballad Of Jimmy Hendrix to Tenacious D instead?

I don't get it.

Meh, from what I've seen TD are more popular 'cuz of Jack Black.
----
18.07.2010 - 00:18
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by vezzy on 17.07.2010 at 22:49

Written by BitterCOld on 17.07.2010 at 22:46

Well, both are considered "comedic metal". But Tenacious D is more well known. Then again, I guess I could also put in Green Jelly, which is even less known than S.O.D...

*shrug* =|

so wait, a band that writes more accessible songs and has a member who is a movie star is more popular than a band that wrote an album 25 years ago that is generally not particularly accessible?

no wai!

zomg!

not sure what the fuck your point was, aside from wasting valuable internet space.
----

18.07.2010 - 00:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by vezzy on 17.07.2010 at 23:01

I don't get it.

Stormtroopers Of Death have sold more albums than Tenacious D. SO SOD is actually more popular.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.07.2010 - 01:39
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Speak English or Die ! lol
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
18.07.2010 - 11:29
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.07.2010 at 00:21

Written by vezzy on 17.07.2010 at 23:01

I don't get it.

Stormtroopers Of Death have sold more albums than Tenacious D. SO SOD is actually more popular.

Ah, I see. Sorry then.
----
19.07.2010 - 16:50
theflyingmachine

This has been one of those albums that I have been meaning to check out for years, but have never gotten around to it. I will need to quit screwing around and give this a listen.
29.10.2015 - 18:29
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
So, I heard SOD is releasing a split with Deftones.