01. Echoes
02. Vague Illusions
03. Leave Me Here
04. Waiting For You
05. Adrift
06. White Cell
07. Crossing Over
08. Into The Beyond

An important characteristic of any Neurosis influenced band seems to be the abysmal contrast between aggressiveness and smooth atmosphere. Somehow it is quite a challenge to find this degree of opposite musical natures in such balance outside the Sludge jurisdiction. Salvation is perhaps one of the most suitable examples, belonging to a extreme metal band well-known for its dedication to atmosphere.

Defining the album in a few words is actually not that hard: "slightly less dry than the previous." Basically, this album is not as universally crisped as The Beyond and the self-titled. The vocals are still sharp in the best post-hardcore fashion, while the general distortion reaches this dry (far from the "dull and uninteresting" meaning of the adjective) state, but the tranquil atmospheric attempts are smoother than ever and helps to provide a little moisture to this arid crunchiness. If we add some very subtle participation of the keyboards, plus the "doomy" rhythmic drums and the clean production, we have enough elements allowing us to plunge into Cult Of Luna's unrestrained dimension.

While the listener is not floating due to the drowsy climate, or not bustling in the harsh tempestuous moments, he is probably experiencing the wondrous construction of the multifaceted complexity that defines Sludge. These infinite possibilities of resonant distribution causes the elusive feeling of brutality to synergize with the calm transcendence in order to achieve the climax that we feel on specific moments of "Vague Illusions" and "Waiting For You." Also the song "Adrift" presents us with similar euphoria, and belongs to the highlights.

This is truly special, and thankfully not a lucky catch from the band. Anyone that ventures into Cult Of Luna's discography may be able to consider Salvation one of their weakest efforts, despite all of its wonderful attributes. But on my part, the insipid cover art is probably the sole major flaw.

Written by Uirapuru | 30.12.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 150 users
30.12.2010 - 22:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I've often thought about reviewing this but I would have flat out given it a 10, or at least 9.5. Their strongest record for me and easily blows away everything by Isis and all the other similarly styled "post" artists. I couldn't fault it in any way.

And I happen to love the cover art =P It perfectly captures the purity of the music.
31.12.2010 - 00:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 30.12.2010 at 22:59

Their strongest record for me and easily blows away everything by Isis and all the other similarly styled "post" artists.

Can it blow away the band that started ´the whole thing and influenced most (if not all) those sorts of bands, Neurosis?

No, really... I'm asking that because I know very little about Cult Of Luna and Neurosis is one of my faovrite bands from several years now.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
31.12.2010 - 00:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 31.12.2010 at 00:43

Can it blow away the band that started ´the whole thing and influenced most (if not all) those sorts of bands, Neurosis?

No, really... I'm asking that because I know very little about Cult Of Luna and Neurosis is one of my faovrite bands from several years now.

You're asking the wrong honky; I've always struggled to make it through a whole Neurosis album and I've tried most of them, if not all. Just something about them doesn't quite work with my tastes, though I do appreciate them even if I don't totally enjoy it. You'd probably have to make up your own mind, or ask other people. Neurosis have that legendary status though which Cult of Luna have yet to attain.
31.12.2010 - 01:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 31.12.2010 at 00:55

You're asking the wrong honky; I've always struggled to make it through a whole Neurosis album and I've tried most of them, if not all. Just something about them doesn't quite work with my tastes, though I do appreciate them even if I don't totally enjoy it. You'd probably have to make up your own mind, or ask other people. Neurosis have that legendary status though which Cult of Luna have yet to attain.

Thanks though!
It's weird, I asked the same question to some people who like some of the stuff I like as well and they also gave me the answer that for some reason they can't stand their music for too long or it's not their kind of stuff. I guess they are not for everyone
----
Rod, let me love you.
17.01.2011 - 00:12
Rating: 8
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Guest on 31.12.2010 at 00:55

Written by X-Ray Rod on 31.12.2010 at 00:43

I'm with you. I am a HUGE post metal fan. Neurosis just doesn't do it for me. "Given to the Rising" is prolly the most listenable for me. Makes sense if you think about it. The early roots and beginnings of post are often awarded to Neurosis. They started a new and raw sub-genre of metal. Later on bands have taken those roots and expanded their tastes and experimentations bringing post metal to a new level...better music. It goes like this for me :

Neurosis<Isis<Cult of Luna<Rosetta

I like "Somewhere Along The Highway" alot more than this release though.
----
rekt
17.01.2011 - 05:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 17.01.2011 at 00:12

I'm with you. I am a HUGE post metal fan. Neurosis just doesn't do it for me. "Given to the Rising" is prolly the most listenable for me. Makes sense if you think about it. The early roots and beginnings of post are often awarded to Neurosis. They started a new and raw sub-genre of metal. Later on bands have taken those roots and expanded their tastes and experimentations bringing post metal to a new level...better music. It goes like this for me :

I like "Somewhere Along The Highway" alot more than this release though.

Ha, I'm actually not that big on Rosetta, though Given To The Rising is probably the one Neurosis record I enjoyed.

As for Cult, Salvation was the first record of theirs I heard when they brought it out so that's probably a big part of it. If I had to directly compare Salvation and Somewhere... well let's just say I wouldn't enjoy it too much.
17.01.2011 - 17:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

Respect your opinion... But MEH....
Those bands wish they could make an album as crushing as Through silver in blood or Times Of Grace.

That's jsut me though...
----
Rod, let me love you.
17.01.2011 - 23:12
Rating: 9
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Just to leave each band with their own representant... my favorite is Isis.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
20.01.2011 - 02:26
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.01.2011 at 17:15

Respect your opinion...

And I yours man!

I will give those first couple of Neurosis albums another chance if you can dig up Rosetta's "Wake/Lift" and give it a few spins ok? Stay tuned...
----
rekt
20.01.2011 - 02:28
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Uirapuru on 17.01.2011 at 23:12

yes, yes but it's fun to make arguments no?
----
rekt
20.01.2011 - 02:44
Rating: 9
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by tea[m]ster on 20.01.2011 at 02:28

Written by Uirapuru on 17.01.2011 at 23:12

yes, yes but it's fun to make arguments no?

Absolutly.

I actually am a big fan of all those bands. Their differences in my preference are minimum.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
22.01.2011 - 14:46
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Much better than their previous records (Vague Illusions Leave Me Here and crossing over):thumbup:
17.05.2012 - 03:20
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Somewhere along the highway is good but this one seems to be getting better and better. Overall I think this ones more consistent.
----
Coldgrits

Hits total: 7435 | This month: 21