11. Valhall Awaits Me [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2007] [Vinyl bonus]
12. Runes To My Memory [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2007] [Vinyl bonus]
13. Cry Of The Black Birds [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2007] [Vinyl bonus]
14. Asator [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2007] [Vinyl bonus]
15. Pursuit Of Vikings [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2007] [Vinyl bonus]
16. Fate Of Norns [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2007] [Vinyl bonus]
17. Without Fear [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2007] [Vinyl bonus]
18. With Oden On Our Side [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2007] [Vinyl bonus]
19. Where Silent Gods Stand Guard [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2007] [Vinyl bonus]

Disc II [CD: Live At Summer Breeze 2007][Limited Edition bonus]
01. Intro
02. Valhall Awaits Me
03. Runes To My Memory
04. Cry Of The Black Birds
05. Asator
06. Pursuit Of Vikings
07. Fate Of Norns
08. Without Fear
09. With Oden On Our Side
10. Where Silent Gods Stand Guard
11. An Ancient Sign Of Coming Storm
12. Victorious March
13. Death In Fire

Disc III [DVD: Live At Summer Breeze 2007][Limited Edition bonus]
01. Intro
02. Valhall Awaits Me
03. Runes To My Memory
04. Cry Of The Black Birds
05. Asator
06. Pursuit Of Vikings
07. Fate Of Norns
08. Without Fear
09. With Oden On Our Side
10. Where Silent Gods Stand Guard
11. An Ancient Sign Of Coming Storm
12. Victorious March
13. Death In Fire

+ 40 page booklet [Limited Edition bonus]

Amon Amarth is a name that makes every true viking look up from their mead tankards. Unlike Ensiferum or Turisas these guys leave weaponry home and hop into a car instead of saddling their horses. They don't need props as they are vikings by heart and their album Twilight Of The Thunder God shows this more than well.

Amon Amarth turned a new page in their saga upon the release of With Oden On Our Side. Compared to their earlier works, the album was more melodic and straigthforward instead of progressive. For some fans this was a disappointment, but we others agree that this is how Amon Amarth was meant to sound in the first place.

Twilight Of The Thunder God continues from its predecessor's footsteps by bringing us an even more powerful and aggressive sound while going with the straightforward song structure. Riffs are catchy, but nothing too fancy, guitar solos are ordinary Amon Amarth stuff and the drummer is doing his backing more than well. Top-notch performing is guaranteed from these veterans, although simplicity of songs doesn't let the players show their true potential.

The truth is that the songs don't vary a lot and have much in common with the previous album's content. The band has discovered their own style and they're happy with it. This drops originality, but then again, it doesn't have to be original to be excellent. Even after multiple listening sessions the album won't get old and keeps the listener entertained. Each time it makes your skin get goose bumps and releases adrenaline to run through your veins, reviving that hidden viking in you. And it feels just marvelous. That is the true power of this album: the atmosphere. It makes you feel great, even invincible. Talking about legal doping...

Lyrics concentrate around the same topics as on former albums: ancient warriors, Scandinavian mythology, brutal battles etc. Only thing I felt missing were the sorrowful lyrics as those in "Once Sealed In Blood" and "Arson" which I found more heroic than the battle ones on this album. Another downside is that the songs aren't tied together in any way making them appear only random. On the other hand it seems that the vocalist Johan Hegg put the mythology part more forward this time, which of course is splendid.

Altogether Twilight Of The Thunder God isn't anything new nor special. Only thing that separates it from decent albums is the atmosphere it sets. Not many albums accomplish this in the melo-death genre. This is an album to be listened when you need a lift up or you just want to feel almighty.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 10

Written by Fane | 02.01.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Heart_of_METAL
Rating:
I used to like a lot of music, but after finding MetalStorm, I discovered many new bands I had not heard before, including Amon Amarth. Seeing "With Oden On Our Side" on the MS Random Album feature started my interest about this band, and from there my position on "extreme metal" was changed.

So, this is my fourth album of AA and have to say, that I crowd it into my head two times a day. The voice of Johann Hegg is fantastic, in melodic passages sounds really amazing. I already like the album "With Oden on our side", but "Twilight of the Thunder Gods" I now prefer.

Read more ››
published 15.04.2009 | Comments (11)

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 167 users
02.01.2011 - 20:56
Mechanist
Account deleted
Well written review. I sort of agree with the "atmosphere-invoking" phenomenon that this album is capable of, but in my opinion it's a bit of a letdown compared to "With Oden On Our Side". Personally, I would have rated it a tad lower but your score is perfectly reasonable. Again, good review.
02.01.2011 - 22:18
RavenKing

"The truth is that the songs don't vary a lot and have much in common with the previous album's content. The band has discovered their own style and they're happy with it."

This is not a flaw in itself but, at the same time, you mentioned why I find this band boring: it's the same over and over, song after song.
You also said something about riffs having nothing too fancy.

What kills this band for me is this combination: repetition (unoriginality) + it is the same average thing over and over.
If it was impressive musically, faster (their stuff is too much mid-tempo with very little tempo variation), more complicated and well-written, I would not mind the lack of originality.
However, as it is now, it's the same average boring mid-tempo thing song after song and album after album. Lacklustre.

And I agree about songs being too simple and not allowing musicians to show their full potential. This band chose the easy and most likely more paying way, at the detriment of originality and complexity.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
03.01.2011 - 09:05
Rating: 10
BMR Monkey

Fu*** you this album deserves 10
03.01.2011 - 09:42
Rating: 9
Cyroth

Written by BMR Monkey on 03.01.2011 at 09:05

It's just a rating, mind you that the review explained why the rating. Sure in your eyes, in mine it's 10, but one is a subjective view and another is a objective one. No need to use insults
----
03.01.2011 - 15:54
RavenKing

Written by BMR Monkey on 03.01.2011 at 09:05

How pathetic to see people whine about something as trivial as a rating.
Who cares for the rating? Read the review instead of acting like a crybaby who didn't get his lollipop.

I could say that I find the rating way too high for such a generic mid-tempo piece of music where songs sound all the same, but ratings don't matter. It's the comments that matter and can lead to interesting discussions. Fighting over ratings is childish and pointless, a complete loss of time.

We should fix this problem by not giving any rating in reviews. This way, the crybabies would have less matter to complain.
----
03.01.2011 - 16:34
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Another lame-duck by one of the most generic bands in metal today. After a decade of churning out the same thing over and over again, Im not holding my breath for something worth listening to come Feb/March (whenever the new album comes out.) Their vocals sound as though they SHOULD be a really heavy band but theyre not, the same pace all the way through, and just too predictable.

Obviously i just dont understand it because decent civilized people seem to completely lose their minds whenever this band brings something out and would literally decapitate their best friends to get their hands on an Amon Amarth albu,, so maybe the problem lies with me.

Just weird how its ok for some bands to continuously bring out the same boring-ass music and still be considered "best of genre". Perhaps they realise they have some sort of niche in the metal scene (which is even more unbelievable) so they dont want to do something remotely inspiring - for me its just baffling and naff.

Instead of these Swedes Id much rather listen to another band from the same country.....Abba still kicks more ass than Amon Amarth ever will if you ask me, at least they had good/varied song writing lol
03.01.2011 - 16:49
RavenKing

Written by Guest on 03.01.2011 at 16:34

Another lame-duck by one of the most generic bands in metal today. After a decade of churning out the same thing over and over again, Im not holding my breath for something worth listening to come Feb/March (whenever the new album comes out.) Their vocals sound as though they SHOULD be a really heavy band but theyre not, the same pace all the way through, and just too predictable.

Obviously i just dont understand it because decent civilized people seem to completely lose their minds whenever this band brings something out and would literally decapitate their best friends to get their hands on an Amon Amarth albu,, so maybe the problem lies with me.

Just weird how its ok for some bands to continuously bring out the same boring-ass music and still be considered "best of genre". Perhaps they realise they have some sort of niche in the metal scene (which is even more unbelievable) so they dont want to do something remotely inspiring - for me its just baffling and naff.

Instead of these Swedes Id much rather listen to another band from the same country.....Abba still kicks more ass than Amon Amarth ever will if you ask me, at least they had good/varied song writing lol

I would not go as far and be as negative as you but I agree on the basis (genericness, same pace, predictable, the fact they found their recipe and never try to do anything a bit different).
Like you, I fail to see what people find so great about this band.
----
03.01.2011 - 17:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

We do not agree on much metalwise But here you worded my thoughts exactly.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.01.2011 - 17:08
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.01.2011 at 17:00

We do not agree on much metalwise But here you worded my thoughts exactly.

haha if it was later in the year Id thought you pulled an April fools on me lol good to know we agree on SOMETHING Marcel
03.01.2011 - 17:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 03.01.2011 at 17:08

haha if it was later in the year Id thought you pulled an April fools on me lol good to know we agree on SOMETHING Marcel

Of course there's also the latest While Heaven Wept we agree on
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.01.2011 - 18:20
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.01.2011 at 17:13

Ahh yes, the one that got away - I never could get my hands on that dvd. Downloading them from Youtube and stitching the files was the best alternative. Severely good vocals live isnt it?
03.01.2011 - 21:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 03.01.2011 at 18:20

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.01.2011 at 17:13

Ahh yes, the one that got away - I never could get my hands on that dvd. Downloading them from Youtube and stitching the files was the best alternative. Severely good vocals live isnt it?

the dvd is part of the live cd and has an extra song compared to the cd part. It shouldn't be too hard to find. Cruz Del Sur sells it directly.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.01.2011 - 17:34
skrätte
I Hate You
Maybe this band has been churning out the same sound. Maybe it's boring. Maybe Amon Amarth's fans are generic idiots.

(I isolated the previous remark for anyone that wants to quote it, out of context, and reply with "YUP!" and "I agree.")

I happen to like them. Are they my favorite band? Nope. I do find myself listening to them from time to time and really enjoying it. I like the guitar tones and the structures. I love the percussion. I do wish, as a guitarist, that they'd put a little more pizazz into the solos. I know they can.. I just wonder why they don't.

Not everyone listens to these albums and scrutinizes every little detail. For some people, Amon Amarth have hit their mark with albums like Oden and Twilight, and it fits. We enjoy it. Some of us are pleased with these. Has Amon Amarth hit a creative plateau? Time will tell.. and if the next album is a carbon copy of this one, they'll reap the negative feedback from people getting tired of it.

I don't have the luxury of listening to every group of musicians that grinds out an album. Nor do I have the time to sit and compare them all. For me, Amon Amarth makes good records. I prefer them over other bands with similar sounds that I've heard. Is Twilight a great album? I don't think I'd go that far. Do I think it's a good album? Most certainly. The review gets an "agree" from me.
----
05.01.2011 - 23:22
Iceland_Norway

Beautiful Album. I have it Signed by Amon Amarth

I love all their discography.

The Rate is near to the excellence. I agree about the themes used to ocmpose their songs are always the same.

Hope for one new and strongest ever album by Amon Amarth
----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir
19.05.2012 - 22:21
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 02.01.2011 at 20:56

I sort of agree with the "atmosphere-invoking" phenomenon that this album is capable of, but in my opinion it's a bit of a letdown compared to "With Oden On Our Side".

The atmosphere is excellent on this one, and I still don't see how this is worse than "WOOOS". I feel both are on the same level of greatness.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
07.12.2015 - 21:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Iceland_Norway on 05.01.2011 at 23:22

I love all their discography.

one of rare bands what's all disco don't suck, are up and downs, buts its generally equal musically, good
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 6395 | This month: 15