Metal Storm logo
A Year In Metal - Highlights Of 2010 By The MS Staff/Elite

Written by: Thryce
Published: 03.01.2011

A much wiser man than me once quoted: "writing about music is like dancing about architecture".

With that said... let's have a look at what the Metal Storm Staff/Elite team considers to be the metal highlights of 2010. Because it sure as hell has been a whirlwind year...

What seems to look as an FBI most wanted-list at first glance, is actually a sharp and revealing end-of-year recap of 2010. This article is packed with several major releases as well as overlooked gems and other obscure classics, and about everything else you always/never wanted to know about the humble Staff/Elite creatures roaming this board.

Needless to say, this'll get pretty interesting/heavy/weird pretty fast... so wherever you are right now - your room/mom's basement, the cubicle at work, on the toilet with your smartphone, in your car (keep your eyes on the road, fool!) - sit back, relax and enjoy the show!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Staff
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angelique

Favorite Album: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time
Best Home-Country Album: Apocalyptica - 7th Symphony
Most-Played Song: "Sacred Worlds" by Blind Guardian
Biggest Disappointment: Elvenking - Red Silent Tides, and of course so many metal legends passing away
Metal Moment Of 2010: Well this year was quite non-metal for me so the fact that the year finally ended must be it!
And 2011? All excited about Falkenbach - Tiurida finally coming out on January! Hopefully many many festivals and gigs!!

Baz Anderson

Favorite Album: Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
Best Home-Country Album: Cradle Of Filth - Darkly, Darkly, Venus Aversa
Most-Played Song: "Who Is Mr. Madman?" by Helloween
Most Promising Band: Lordaeron
Biggest Disappointment: Angra - Aqua
Best Concert: Annihilator in Sheffield
Metal Moment Of 2010: Twisted Sister closing Bloodstock 2010
And 2011? Judas Priest's farewell.

BitterCOld

Best Home-Country Album: High On Fire - Snakes Of The Divine
Most-Played Song: "Circle The Wagons" by Darkthrone
Most Promising Band: Shattered Hope / Rising
Biggest Disappointment: Enslaved playing in town for the second time in two years, and for the second time in two years the headliners only letting them have about 40 minutes. I guess they were afraid of being upstaged.
Best Concert: Mastodon/BTBAM/Baroness/Valient Thorr
Metal Moment Of 2010: Being selected to receive one of 300 or so promo copies of Shattered Hope's Absence. Made me feel Kvlt.
And 2011? Wintersun... Time. HAHHAHHAhahahhahahhHAHahaha! No, seriously, Anthrax - Worship Music.

Daniell

Best Home-Country Album: Nothing that can be called "the best".
Most-Played Song: "Lightening" by Enslaved
Most Promising Band: Byfrost
Biggest Disappointment: Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
Best Concert: Sonisphere Festival.
Metal Moment Of 2010: Sonisphere Festival.
And 2011? Hoping for a new Slayer album. And some new, fantastic finds, like this year's Byfrost.

Darkside Momo

Favorite Album: Orphaned Land - The Neverending Way Of ORWarriOR
Best Home-Country Album: Orphaned Land - The Neverending Way Of ORWarriOR. Hey, the world is my country. Or else it woud be, well, Alcest or Deathspell Omega. Nice, sure, but I'm not a big fan right now.
Most-Played Song: "Codeword: Uprising" by Orphaned Land
Most Promising Band: Neuromist
Best Concert: Can't decide between Devin Townsend at Hellfest, Nevermore at Hellfest, Dark Tranquillity in Paris, or Sleepytime Gorilla Museum in Paris, and Orphaned Land in Nantes.
Biggest Disappointment: None particularly, but the new Nevermore, Dark Tranquillity and Mekong Delta weren't as good as I'd hoped (even if they're not bad).
Metal Moment Of 2010: There are 2. The whole metal week I spent in Paris with four awesome shows; the other was when I watched the Hellfest 2010 DVD, there's a very special moment on that one
And 2011? Hellfest and Metal Storm, of course!

Jason W.

Favorite Album: Triosphere - The Road Less Travelled
Best Home-Country Album: Place Of Skulls - As A Dog Returns
Most Played Song: "A Serenade To The Sea" by Mandrake
Most Promising Band: Diabulus In Musica (signed) / Avariel (unsigned)
Best Concert: My Silent Wake, Akelei, and Place Of Skulls at Dutch Doom Days IX
Biggest Disappointment: Rotting Christ - Aealo
Metal Moment Of 2010: All of the feedback I received from the Dutch Doom Days IX pictures I took.
And 2011? Metal Female Voices Festival IX in Belgium, and hopefully at least 1 more weekend of metal as well!

GT

Favorite Album: Wuthering Heights - Salt
Best Home-Country Album: Wuthering Heights - Salt
Most-Played Song: "Wheel Of Time" by Blind Guardian, or "The Desperate Poet" by Wuthering Heights
Best Concert: Rammstein at Copenhagen Live (the only metal concert in 2010 I'm afraid)
Biggest Disappointment: Not being able to attend Wacken.
Metal Moment Of 2010: Been a very un-metal year for me. 2011 can only get better.
And 2011? Going to Wacken again!

Ivan

Favorite Album: Hardcore Superstar - Split Your Lip (yes, I know... it was hugely entertaining though)
Most-Played Song: "One More Time" by James LaBrie
Most Promising Band: Whispered
Best Concert: Arch Enemy at Ruisrock, Turku
Biggest Disappointment: Kamelot and Iron Maiden equally
Metal Moment Of 2010: MS gathering at my wedding. Also, stumbling upon a Riverside fan in Hong Kong.
And 2011? Hope to get my ass to Wacken or Hellfest and meet as many MS people as possible

Ivor

Favorite Album: Echoes - Nature |Existence / Kingcrow - Phlegethon / Sky Architect - Excavations Of The Mind
Most Promising Band: Echoes / Sky Architect
Biggest Disappointment: Portnoy leaving Dream Theater
Best Concert: Freak Kitchen in Gießen, Germany, in February
Metal Moment Of 2010: Seeing Freak Kitchen three times while a year ago in December I had no clue I'd see them at all.
And 2011? Seeing what Dream Theater comes up with. Seeing something cool I haven't yet seen. And some good festivals.

Jeff

Favorite Album: Mar De Grises - Streams Inwards
Best Home-Country Album: Alcest - Écailles De Lune / Klone - Black Days
Most-Played Song: "Farewell, Mona Lisa" by The Dillinger Escape Plan
Most Promising Band: Kvelertak
Biggest Disappointment: The death of Mr. Dio.
Best Concert: Twisted Sister at Hellfest Open Air 2010
And 2011? Hellfest 2011 of course!

jupitreas

Favorite Album: Project: Failing Flesh - Countdown From Ten
Best Home-Country Album: Effect Murder - Architects Of Sense
Most-Played Song: "Royal" by Deftones (based on last.fm statistics, which ignore my portable mp3 player)
Biggest Disappointment: Seeing The Cult live. They really sucked.
Most Promising Band: The Crinn and Fractured Insanity
Best Concert: Decapitated live in Warsaw
Metal Moment Of 2010: Sadly, nothing specific comes to mind. This was a pretty un-metal year for me, besides the odd gig.
And 2011? No real expectations since they lead to disappointment.

Lucas

Favorite Album: I don't know... I don't care about years of release.
Best Home-Country Album: No idea.
Most-Played Song: "Circle" by Esoteric, on the The Maniacal Vale. Yeah, I know it's not a 2010 release but it's best goddamn song ever, so it's still my pick.
Most Promising Band: Expectations create disappointments. What has been released is important, not what might to be released. In other words, I have no single clue.
Biggest Disappointment: Probably myself not finding the necessary amount of time to really delve deep this year.
Best Concert: I don't know, I rarely care about concerts, probably something at Hellfest.
Metal Moment Of 2010: Definitely, without a fucking doubt, me discovering aTelecine. A Noise/Industrial/Black combo featuring Sasha Grey. Yep, that's correct. And it freak-fucking-ing rules! I had a review ready but unfortunately my laptop crashed.
And 2011? I'll most probably be on a never-ending quest to arrange an interview with aforementioned aTelecine And hopefully, I'll find more time to search for true gems, because 2010 was really a bad year for me in that respect.

Susan

Favorite Album: Tristania - Rubicon
Best Home-Country Album: American bands Ephemeral Sun, Kamelot, and Torche all impressed me greatly this year.
Most-Played Song: "Protection" by Tristania and "L'Échappée" by Les Discrets
Most Promising Band: 2010 was an excellent year for metal, one of the best in recent memory. Lots of new and new-to-me bands released quality music and the competition was stiff. My most promising band was Iran's Ahoora with their 3rd album Awkward Diary.
Biggest Disappointment: This year's output of folk and viking metal... very few strong releases overall.
Best Concert: Agalloch in Seattle this December. Excellent set-list of new songs and old favourites, high energy from the band.
Metal Moment Of 2010: Meeting so many MS staff and elite at Ivan's wedding this summer in Estonia. Awesome week hanging out with you guys.
And 2011? Looking forward to Hellfest 2011, this will be my first pilgrimage to Clisson. Also I'm excited for the new Silent Stream Of Godless Elegy album and to hear what their collaboration with Season of Mist has brought about.

Marcel Hubregtse

Favorite Album: Procession - Destroyers Of The Faith
Best Home-Country Album: Akelei - De Zwaarte Van Het Doorstane
Most-Played Song: "Cocaine Wizard Woman" by Las Cruces
Most Promising Band: Terzij De Horde
Best Concert: Place Of Skulls - Dutch Doom Days IX, Baroeg, Rotterdam
Biggest Disappointment: The eruption of Eyjafjallajökull and its aftermath making it impossible for quite a few bands to make it to Roadburn 2010. One of those was Candlemass who would do special show, playing Epicus Doomicus Metallicus in its entirety with their original vocalist Johan Langquist handling all the vocals. But that was not to be.
Metal Moment Of 2010: The afterparty of day 1 at Dutch Doom Days with the sing along sessions to some doom classics.
And 2011? Nothing really. Like all other years I will wait and see what it brings us. Hopefully as good a year metal releases wise as 2010. Yes, 2010 was a great year for metal if one just dug a little deeper and wasn't fixated on the bigger names and labels in the metal world.

Promonex

Best Home-Country Album: Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time
Most-Played Song: "Ulvetid" by Kvelertak
Most Promising Band: Todtgelichter
Biggest Disappointment: Ozzy outliving Dio
Best Concert: Ulver at Hellfest
Metal Moment Of 2010: Landing a job as DJ in Frankfurt's premier metal bar.
And 2011? In 2010 I've seen 207 performances by 190 bands. Let's see what 2011 will bring

Raiden

Favourite Album: Darkthrone - Circle The Wagons (it was the one I played the most at least)
Best Home-Country Album: Black Majesty - In Your Honour (I think Australia produced more good albums this year rather than great ones while still having a lot of good releases; if that makes any sense. This was perhaps one of the best of these good ones.)
Most-Played Song: "Those Treasures Will Never Befall You" by Darkthrone (seemed to get a lot of play time in my car!)
Most Promising Band: Although they've released two albums now, I actually liked Enforcer's new release more so than their first one (which I did also enjoy). They seem to be quite a high rising Heavy Metal band that still have a bit of oomph behind them.
Biggest Disappointment: One that springs to mind is the new Flotsam & Jetsam album; I was expecting something quite good, but ended up hearing quite forced and below par songs. Other than that, the new Folkearth album was an extremely clumsy arrangement of folk and metal; it was as if both of them got slapped together as an afterthought and no one bothered to try to get everything to mix in properly. By contrast the Battlecry album from Folkodia was great! There are probably others, but not that I can think of straight away.
Best Concert: Nile/ Hate Eternal in Melbourne
Metal Moment Of 2010: My hometown opened a new metal store (bringing the grand total of metal stores in my area to one!)
And 2011? Looking forward to seeing Iron Maiden live again.

Thryce

Favorite Album: War From A Harlots Mouth - MMX
Best Home-Country Album: The NULLL Collective - De Monstris
Most-Played Song: apparently "Of Words And Ravens" by The Flight Of Sleipnir
Most Promising Band: Clinging To The Trees Of A Forest Fire / The Man-Eating Tree
Biggest Disappointment: The Ocean - Heliocentric
Best Concert: That one NYHC evening in April: Life Of Agony, playing River Runs Red.
Metal Moment Of 2010: Making the Pantera shout-out to Metal Storm happen without having to drop on my knees.
And 2011? One word: Trancecore! Trancecore will continue its unstoppable rise, with truly brilliant bands such as Fail Emotions (this song > you), Attack Attack! and We Butter The Bread With Butter making it really big and dominating the Metal Storm landscape any time soon... well yeah, that, or a new Pig Destroyer would be nice too.

wrathchild

Favorite Album: As usual, I didn't check a lot of new albums, but this one had my attention: Mägo De Oz - Gaia III - Atlantia
Best Home-Country Album: Unfortunately, it seems the new Manigance wasn't released this year, as scheduled...
Most-Played Song: "A Voice In The Dark" by Blind Guardian
Best Concert: Blind Guardian in Paris
Biggest Disappointment: Dio's passing...
Metal Moment Of 2010: Those 3 days in Estonia for Ivan's wedding, perhaps not a true "Metal moment" but a hell of a "Metal Storm moment"
And 2011? Not sure about listening to new stuff as I'll probably set myself to digging some bands I stumbled upon in the past, such as Avalanch, Superior and Imago Mortis, etc. Though of course I'll check the new Manigance when it's out

Elite

Favorite Album: The Meads Of Asphodel - The Murder of Jesus the Jew, although including albums that merely contained metal it would probably be Igorrr - Nostril
Best Home-Country Album: Suppose technically it would be The Meads but lets go for TenHornedBeast - Hunts & Wars, or perhaps Cathedral - The Guessing Game or hell, even Ramesses - Take the Curse. Was a great year for UK doom.
Most Played Song: "The Invisible Mountain" by Horseback (from The Invisible Mountain album) and "Addicted To God" by The Meads Of Asphodel
Most Promising Band: US progressive extreme metal outfit Castevet and epic doom misery-makers (and possible Warning replacement) Pallbearer
Best Concert: Electric Wizard at the Electric Ballroom, London
Biggest Disappointment: Probably Nevermore's woefully average follow up to one of the greatest albums of the last decade (or this decade depending on your views) and Dawnbringer's new one lacked the subtle blackness of their stellar In Sickness and In Dreams record but black metal in general seemed to be well under par this year.
Metal Moment Of 2010: Being made an elite on here was pretty boss.
And 2011? My first Hellfest hopefully and the possible impending 777 release which could be life changing considering what it's intended to be. Also getting reviews out on a more routine and regular basis.

Dane Train

Favorite Album: Jars of Clay - The Shelter, oh wait, if you want a Metal album, then it would be Place Of Skulls - As A Dog Returns
Best Home-Country Album: Place Of Skulls - As A Dog Returns
Most-Played Song: "Coming Home" by James LaBrie
Most Promising Band: Bloodline Severed. Every time I see them play I am floored.
Biggest Disappointment: Not being able to have my meeting with Peter Steele.
Best Concert: Iron Maiden with Dream Theater
Metal Moment Of 2010: Being in a band that plays Stoner Doom versions of ancient hymns.
And 2011? Finding out who the new drummer of Dream Theater will be, releasing our first album and doing some touring. Oh! and a new Becoming The Archetype album!

KwonVerge

Favorite Album: Now that's a tough one. Funker Vogt's Blutzoll or Unheilig's Große Freiheit. But I'm not sure yet, well, ok. Nevermind. Or In Strict Confidence - La Parade Monstrueuse.
Best Home-Country Album: Transcending Bizarre? - The Misanthrope's Fable or Nightfall - Astron Black And The Thirty Tyrants? Well, I guess both!
Most-Played Song: Quite many, probably "Friendly Fire" by Funker Vogt.
Most Promising Band: Ophelia of course!
Biggest Disappointment: Rotting Christ's latest album maybe...
Best Concert: Gogol Bordello and a sociopolitical greek hip hop fest.
Metal Moment Of 2010: Now that's personal, writing again for Metal Storm.
And 2011? We'll see during 2011.

Doc G.

Favorite Album: High On Fire - Snakes For The Divine
Best Home-Country Album: A tie between Rusted Dawn - The Black Tides Of War, or Barn Burner - Bangers
Most Played Song: "No Funeral" by Nachtmystium
Most Promising Band: Mares Of Thrace
Biggest Disappointment: A lot of crappy albums, but none which had any high expectations from me in the first place. The biggest "disappointment" for me would have to be Bison B.C.'s Dark Ages, which was actually a very good album, but nowhere near as awesome as Quiet Earth. So I guess no actual disappointments in the truest sense of the word.
Best Concert: High On Fire with Skeletonwitch and Russian Circles
Metal Moment Of 2010: Being strangled to the point of passing out in the middle of a Blind Guardian show.
And 2011? Hopefully will be more like 2009, release quality wise. Not to say 2010 was bad, but 2009 was just one hell of a solid year release wise.

Forged Soul

Favorite Album: meh, kind of a bland year for me, but I always have a place in my heart for anything Blind Guardian does. We are the Void from Dark Tranquillity was pretty good.
Best Home-Country Album: Joe Bonamassa - Black Rock, not metal I know, but it really was a baddass album.
Most-Played Song: probably "Curse My Name" by Blind Guardian
Most Promising Band: Don't yet know.
Biggest Disappointment: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy
Best Concert: Blind Guardian or seeing UFO from a back stage balcony
Metal Moment Of 2010: Free beer at Kuma's Corner or jamming with Chris Poland.
And 2011? My Album!!!

hanna of steel

Favorite Album: Shining [NOR] - Blackjazz
Best Home-Country Album: The Chasms - Index Of Spirits
Most-Played Song: "Spiral Shadow" by Kylesa (or so Last.fm tells me)
Most Promising Band: No idea, I probably haven't heard them yet.
Biggest Disappointment: The vocalist leaving my favourite "unknown" band King Fear & The Court Of Wolves
Best Concert: Haven't been to any this year
Metal Moment Of 2010: Being made an Elite.
And 2011? Who knows - the best is yet to come (maybe).

Nefarious

Best Home-Country Album: Haken - Aquarius
Most-Played Song: "The Smoke" by In Mourning
Best Concert: Hatred - Dubai, UAE
Biggest Disappointment: Mike Portnoy leaving Dream Theater
Metal Moment Of 2010: Going to an underground metal gig with my friends from Nervecell, getting hilariously drunk with them, and chatting up this cool metal chick, and trying to impress her with my knowledge of all things metal, only to find I know nothing compared to her. She is now my gf
And 2011? Leaving the sweltering summer heat of Dubai behind to travel to Wacken and Bloodstock

Troy Killjoy

Favorite Album: October Falls - A Collapse Of Faith
Best Home-Country Album: Forteresse - Par Hauts Bois Et Vastes Plaines
Most-Played Song: "A Million Moons" by Imperium Dekadenz
Most Promising Band: An Autumn For Crippled Children
Biggest Disappointment: Agalloch
Metal Moment Of 2010: Dimmu Borgir supporting Korn. Comments Thryce:
Quote:
Dimmu Borgir scored the support slot for Korn's European tour in promotion of Remember Who You Are. Sounds about right.

And 2011? The internet!

White Winter Sun

Best Home-Country Album: Pensées Nocturnes - Grotesque
Most-Played Song: "Sapari" by Orphaned Land
Biggest Disappointment: Iron Maiden - Final Frontier
Best Concert: I cannot choose between Ghost Brigade at Hellfest Open Air 2010, Asphyx at Hellfest Open Air 2010 and Orphaned Land in Paris.
Metal Moment Of 2010: Hellfest of course!
And 2011? Hellfest 2011 in June and to spend a lot of time on MS.

Comments

Comments: 37   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 643 users
03.01.2011 - 03:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Richard is missing
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.01.2011 - 03:35
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Bad English on 03.01.2011 at 03:11

Richard is missing

I'd say there are more people missing (I'm not sure but I think there were more than two women in this sausage party you call 'the staff' (and elite)).
03.01.2011 - 03:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ragana - Im interested in marcel, lilJasons and Richards pic also crazy Kostas dude from Hellas is quate good, since we have simmilar taste
Elite - Ernator missing, but whit out look I cant tell who's missing more
----

apos;'
[image]
03.01.2011 - 03:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Sasha Grey... THE SASHA GREY!?

HOLY SHIT *search on the internet...shits bricks*....

Thanks for the tip man! Easily top 10 of this year.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.01.2011 - 04:50
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
All in all, I'm guessing not the best year in Metal?
03.01.2011 - 09:50
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.01.2011 at 03:53

Sasha Grey... THE SASHA GREY!?

HOLY SHIT *search on the internet...shits bricks*....

Thanks for the tip man! Easily top 10 of this year.

----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.01.2011 - 09:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 03.01.2011 at 04:50

Why?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.01.2011 - 10:00
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Ivan, there's nothing to be ashamed of about really digging the new Hardcore Superstar. That band kicks ass, no matter what Marcel says. Split Your Lip is a pretty aggressive album, good stuff. Unfortunately I just heard it for the first time a week or two ago, so it didn't make my list...yet.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.01.2011 - 10:07
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Hanna of Steel p0wned everyone by choosing Blackjazz as best of 2010.

My noisy blessings! =D
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
03.01.2011 - 10:42
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Lol, is Sasha Grey's band metal? rofl wonder how their music video is gonna be like

@Thryce
Fail Emotions - Makes Bad is amazing, please recommend me more! not sure about the other 2 though

forgotten about Project: Failing Flesh. Thought they had some issues releasing it by 2010, thanks for reminding, jup
----
loves 小巫
03.01.2011 - 12:15
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Seems less people had a non-metal year than 2009. And Baz seems to have a new haircut.

Promonex, there you missed the one chance to promote Procella Vadens as the best home-country album. Shame on you!
----
03.01.2011 - 13:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ok I read all and Marcel is closse to my choose ,

Favorite Album: have no , I have 50 in list , yes 50 so I cant choose, soon be in my profile

Best Home-Country Album - Heaven Grey - Falling Mist , or shood I say Gran Magnus - Hammer Of The North

Most-Played Song: to many

Most Promising Band: have no clue

Best Concert: non

Biggest Disappointment; Many deaths, Iron Maiden, Cathedral, Blind Guardian

Metal Moment Of 2010: Get more posts in MS and also can eddit bands, line up, videos, albums

And 2011?: Hopefuly I go tru all USA bands in MA and also listen all, then my journey true all MA countries be over , only new updates , but its all
----

apos;'
[image]
03.01.2011 - 15:43
Promonex
Cathemeral
Written by corrupt on 03.01.2011 at 12:15

Promonex, there you missed the one chance to promote Procella Vadens as the best home-country album. Shame on you!

You should be glad I didn't mention the new Letzte Instanz album

After being addicted to Todtgelichter for the past two weeks my choice would rather go for Angst by now. But as Blind Guardian brought me and my new girlfriend together, I don't mind listing them as a highlight

And unlike Troy I didn't consider Procella Vadens that great to be honest, sorry.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
03.01.2011 - 16:26
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Promonex on 03.01.2011 at 15:43

I am! although you kinda let the fact slip that this very album made you turn away from the band. So maybe I should consider it best home-country

And unlike Troy I didn't consider Procella Vadens that great to be honest, sorry.

Well, nothing beats ...Und Die Welt Ward Kalt Und Leer. But you know how easily I am disgusted by bad German lyrics. And Imperium Dekadenz are among the very few bands with a decent feel for their language. They neither sound overly dramatic nor ridiculous. By that alone they earned a special page in my book. The fact that I also like their music is merely a bonus. And it's definitely the best thing from Germany that met my ears in 2010.
----
03.01.2011 - 17:51
Vikcen
Metálico
Favorite Album: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time
Best Home-Country Album: Angelus Apatrida - Clockwork
Most Promising Band: Angelus Apatrida, maybe Soulitude?? hehe =)
Best Concert: Blind Guardian
Metal Moment Of 2010: My first gig of Blind Guardian . The gig of Angelus Apatrida . And the fact of have discovered Metal Storm this year.
And 2011? I hope the new of Demons And Wizards. And Iron Maiden will be here in Getafe!! I'll be there.
03.01.2011 - 18:23
Mikyz

I was expecting some of the staff's favorite albums, but I want to thank Lucas for the aTelecine mention, I'm already a fan of Sasha Grey, I may start to worship her after listening to aTelecine, XD
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
03.01.2011 - 19:40
Thryce
Retired Staff
Jeff and GT have been added as well, folks!

Written by Ag Fox on 03.01.2011 at 10:42

@Thryce: Fail Emotions - Makes Bad is amazing, please recommend me more!

I know, right?!

Well, it's actually a diamond in a sea of shit. But I guess if you really want more, you could always check out Enter Shikari (more or less the godfathers of the genre), Abandon All Ships or Eskimo Callboy (pretty solid as well).
----
Your favorite band sucks.
03.01.2011 - 22:11
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.01.2011 at 09:56

Why?

After looking all the lists over It looks like you've had better years.
Also I've been seeing Iron Maiden in a couple dissapointments. Why exactly?
03.01.2011 - 22:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 03.01.2011 at 22:11

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.01.2011 at 09:56

Why?

imo this was a great year if you stayed out of the metal "mainstream" and ignored the bigger labels such as Century Media and Nuclear Blast
why Iron Maiden was a disappointment? Simple, the album was bad, boring, totally pointless, etc. But then IM have delivered loads of bad albums for aeons now so I wasn't that disappointed cause I expected as much but The Final Frontier was even worse than the previous three
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.01.2011 - 02:16
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Thryce on 03.01.2011 at 19:40

Jeff and GT have been added as well, folks!

I know, right?!

Well, it's actually a diamond in a sea of shit. But I guess if you really want more, you could always check out Enter Shikari (more or less the godfathers of the genre), Abandon All Ships or Eskimo Callboy (pretty solid as well).

Also, Pain. Muahahah
04.01.2011 - 03:28
Axe Argonian

I'm not at all surprised by the number of people claiming that Enslaved's Axioma Ethica Odini was the best album of 2010. I love it too.

But, honestly, this was a good metal year for me because I finally expanded my metal tastes, discovered many awesome bands I never knew existed, gained a love for just about every sub-genre of metal (with black metal and thrash metal receiving the most love), and discovered this website. Now, thanks to Metalstorm.net, I spend more money on albums than I do on most other things.

Thanks Metal Storm!

And cheers to a new year of metal and appealing new releases ( Primordial's next album, Symphony X's next album, Tool's next album, and Judas Priest's next album all have my attention).
----
"Man does at all times only what he wills, and yet he does this necessarily. But this is because he already is what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer
04.01.2011 - 13:10
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Written by Guest on 03.01.2011 at 22:11

As already reported above by Marcel, The Final Frontier is simply far for being what can be called a must to have. Even though Iron Maiden, was and remains among my favorite bands, I have found The Final Frontier really average and it was my biggest dissapointment this year.
05.01.2011 - 06:40
Jiri

Haha, Lucas. So indecisive.
05.01.2011 - 10:01
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by corrupt on 03.01.2011 at 16:26

I am! although you kinda let the fact slip that this very album made you turn away from the band. So maybe I should consider it best home-country

Well, nothing beats ...Und Die Welt Ward Kalt Und Leer. But you know how easily I am disgusted by bad German lyrics. And Imperium Dekadenz are among the very few bands with a decent feel for their language. They neither sound overly dramatic nor ridiculous. By that alone they earned a special page in my book. The fact that I also like their music is merely a bonus. And it's definitely the best thing from Germany that met my ears in 2010.

The problem is that 99% of the bands that sing in German have shitty lyrics, there are only a few exceptions
05.01.2011 - 10:02
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Diabolos on 05.01.2011 at 10:01

The problem is that 99% of the bands that sing in German have shitty lyrics, there are only a few exceptions

That's my point.
----
05.01.2011 - 10:17
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by corrupt on 05.01.2011 at 10:02

Written by Diabolos on 05.01.2011 at 10:01

That's my point.

Well, as long as there are at least some with decent lyrics like Nocte Obducta, Dornenreich, Die Toten Kehren Wieder Mit Dem Wind, Eden Weint Im Grab, Bergthron,... (or at least with funny lyrics like Schandmaul, Rammstein,...), I can live with that
05.01.2011 - 12:29
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Diabolos on 05.01.2011 at 10:17

Well, as long as there are at least some with decent lyrics like Nocte Obducta, Dornenreich, Die Toten Kehren Wieder Mit Dem Wind, Eden Weint Im Grab, Bergthron,... (or at least with funny lyrics like Schandmaul, Rammstein,...), I can live with that

Good for you then. I liked Rammsteins lyrics on the first two albums. After that they got too affectedly meaningful and too symphonic overall. And most German bands I don't even try anymore. Not even J.B.O. are funny nowadays. So it boils down to Excrementory Grindfuckers for the lulz and now obviously Imperium Dekadenz because they seem to know what they're doing.
----
05.01.2011 - 15:02
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
I'm surprised that there are no real thrashers on the staff or the elite. Although I do remember someone mentioned Slayer at some point. Hmm. Sad..
----
THRASH!!!
05.01.2011 - 15:21
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Thryce on 03.01.2011 at 19:40

I know, right?!

Diamond in a sea of shit lol Seems to be the case though. The other ones you just posted does not have the same impact (specifically, don't have as much trance). I'll wait for Fail Emotions to release a full length
----
loves 小巫
05.01.2011 - 19:55
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by DrunkenFuck on 05.01.2011 at 15:02

I'm surprised that there are no real thrashers on the staff or the elite. Although I do remember someone mentioned Slayer at some point. Hmm. Sad..

there are plenty of "thrashers" on the staff, just wasn't brought up much in the succinct summation of an entire year's worth of music, tours, and experiences. i reviewed a couple thrash albums (Heathen, Exodus, Kaos), attended a couple thrash shows (Megadeth/Testament/Exodus, Exodus/Bonded By Blood)... just didn't make the cut compared to other stuff. fwiw, my 2009 metal moment was some tomfoolery going on with the Warbringer guys after a gig.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 13079 | This month: 5